Florida | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Florida

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Something I never thought about as a New Englander - the news is telling people they shouldn’t let kid play in the street flooding. There are gators and snakes (cottonmouths) in the water
Not a big fan of TikTok, but the videos people are posting of the flooding are wild. But the normal Florida freshwater rules should apply, don't go in unless it's a clear spring.
@Get a Job the shark one is apparently old.

Reaction Score
Not a big fan of TikTok, but the videos people are posting of the flooding are wild. But the normal Florida freshwater rules should apply, don't go in unless it's a clear spring.
@Get a Job the shark one is apparently old.
Dang. Those things are always apocryphal. I should have known.

Nevertheless, regardless of the authenticity of the video, there could be sharks in the flood waters now!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The snakes especially when you are cleaning up debris. Wear some good leather gloves and always attack and spread out debris as best you can with shovels or rakes.

And floating colonies of fire ants. Don't forget about the floating piles of fire ants.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Dang. Those things are always apocryphal. I should have known.

Nevertheless, regardless of the authenticity of the video, there could be sharks in the flood waters now!
In the actual flood waters, maybe little black tips, but they are everywhere in Florida. The real question will be whether any Bull sharks reach inland waters. They can live in fresh water, so that will be interesting.

Edit: evidently, this is already the case. https://par.nsf.gov/servlets/purl/10122384

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The snakes especially when you are cleaning up debris. Wear some good leather gloves and always attack and spread out debris as best you can with shovels or rakes.

And floating colonies of fire ants. Don't forget about the floating piles of fire ants.
The fire ants are awful. The sting is like a wasp. I stepped on a nest this summer and actually have scarring. Nasty things, fire ants

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The fire ants are awful. The sting is like a wasp. I stepped on a nest this summer and actually have scarring. Nasty things, fire ants

Yes, they are. I have to kill a mound about every week in my yard between April and October. Seems like a huge mound can spring up overnight.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm putting it out there right now.

If Ian takes care of this, there will be at least one positive from the storm.

IYKYK.

1664460145527.png

Reaction Score
Hopefully the Lee County sheriff is talking out of his butt about fatalities. He seems like a bit of a whacko so fingers crossed it isn't true.

Reaction Score
Do they have bears in backyards in Florida?

Seems like they have every other creature there.
Yes. I have bears in my yard often. I live 2 miles from the beach in Naples. City living with bears and just about everything else you’d see in New England. (Deer, coyotes, bobcats etc.).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Do they have bears in backyards in Florida?

Seems like they have every other creature there.

Absolutely. Black bears are indigenous to all parts of Florida and are all over neighborhoods due to housing development.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'll see your love bug and raise you a cockroach palmetto bug.

View attachment 79423
There is a band we like that plays in New Orleans, have seen them on Frenchman a couple of times. The name is "Palmetto Bug Stompers". I like that you can hear that as "Palmetto Bug...Stompers" or "Palmetto...Bug Stompers".

Reaction Score
Was up Cape Cod for Hurricane Bob. Can't imagine what a 4 almost 5 would be like.

Hope my cousin is alright. She's in Weston, FL. She had power still around 2 PM. Haven't heard anything since.
I’ve seen many Cat 1 maybe even a 2
A Cat 4 or 5 is beyond scary
They can change the geography have totally destroyed towns

I believe the 1936 hurricane was a 3 and many people in Ct died

Reaction Score
This is terrifyingly far from over. Ian has defied most weather models over the course of today and is drifting further east, allowing it more time to gain strength before it slams into the Carolinas - as a strong cat1 bordering on cat2. That in itself is insane. There will be a lot of people in the South Atlantic states dealing with serious headaches this weekend.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This is terrifyingly far from over. Ian has defied most weather models over the course of today and is drifting further east, allowing it more time to gain strength before it slams into the Carolinas - as a strong cat1 bordering on cat2. That in itself is insane. There will be a lot of people in the South Atlantic states dealing with serious headaches this weekend.
My decision not to go to South Carolina seems to have been prudent. Checked on my parents near Beaufort, SC and they think they will be fine. Path is now north of Charleston.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My decision not to go to South Carolina seems to have been prudent. Checked on my parents near Beaufort, SC and they think they will be fine. Path is now north of Charleston.

Heard same from a friend in Beaufort. They did fine. He said Myrtle Beach is getting drilled.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom