OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 20 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
Yes, but it's expectations. I'm in a pro sports desert in the panhandle of Florida. New Orleans is closest city with pro sports and that's 3 hours away.

For hockey the only thing in the area is the Pensacola Ice Flyers. Unaffiliated SPHL. The hockey isn't good. I'm far from an expert on hockey but I can tell they are smaller and slower, their stick handling and passing isn't great and the goalies are sus. But, there's 5000 fans and they wear sweaters from all different NHL franchises and the teams are all from the southeast so the hits and fights can be fun. Plus, I can park for $5 and walk up to the ticket office 30 minutes before game time and get a ticket for $10. I go to a few games a year.

Same thing for the NFL. I know plenty of fans of the Saints and Falcons who make it a weekend trip a few times a year. Then you have the transplant Cowboy, Steelers fans who will travel any where nearby to see them play.

Somewhere my point is if you like a team and like a sport you figure it out and adapt and have fun with it.
You kind of make the point though. That’s what you have in Pensacola, so you support the team. You didn’t lose an NHL team there though. The loss of viability in college football for 100 programs will be much more like the Whalers leaving. You are taking a step down. That’s a killer to a fan. It just won’t be exciting to have no chance to become relevant or make a run at a title. Even Jim Mora said that the goal was to compete for a National Championship. That far flung goal won’t even be possible.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You kind of make the point though. That’s what you have in Pensacola, so you support the team. You didn’t lose an NHL team there though. The loss of viability in college football for 100 programs will be much more like the Whalers leaving. You are taking a step down. That’s a killer to a fan. It just won’t be exciting to have no chance to become relevant or make a run at a title. Even Jim Mora said that the goal was to compete for a National Championship. That far flung goal won’t even be possible.

I guess we are looking at it differently. I still get to watch the sport of hockey. I'm not digging in to it, but was there a gap between Whalers leaving and Wolfpack arriving? If you are a hockey fan in the CT area you can still watch the Wolfpack and still go to UConn hockey games and see high level college hockey.

It's not like college football would be going away from the area, you just would know you aren't watching the best of the best. And to a certain extent it's almost a relief as a fan. You don't have to hang on to every win or loss like it's life or death. You can relax and enjoy watching a football game. It's still plenty good and competitive football. Heck even FCS and high level D2 football is good quality.

Do I want that for UConn football? Hell no. But if there's a breakaway of less than 50 teams there's a good chance SU and BCU ain't making the cut either.

Reaction Score
You understand that there are a hell of a lot more colleges than those who will be in those leagues. That's what people (like you) seem to forget. That's a lot of eyeballs that won't give a rats behind what they do. So to call 98% of the universities/colleges in the country irrelevant is extremely condescending.

In terms of TV watching on a national basis...they currently are irrelevant. Just facts. Not condescending at all unless you are very defensive (people like you ?).

Sure, there are 100's of teams out there...133 just in FBS. You think that all of those 133 teams are relevant in terms of national viewing interest ?...they aren't in the mainstream of football watching...but will be viewed in ithe future in individual niche streaming opportunities.

Sure, 31,000 folks watched Troy vs Southern Miss...and 17,000 watched Charlotte v USF. The same week, there were 11 games watched by 3 million or more....in those 11 games, 15 teams who will play in the SEC or B1G were featured...the only one of those games not featuring a SEC/B1G was a match between Iowa State and Kansas.

One recognizing reality is not being condescending.

Reaction Score
I like watching the Premier League...I can't say they are relevant on the USA sports scene...the NFL dominates...93 of the 100 most watched TV programs last year were NFL games.

And football is dominant within the wider TV landscape, as well, remaining a cultural force able to capture linear audiences that have largely abandoned other programming in the cord-cutting and streaming eras. In 2023, NFL games made up 93 of the top 100 rated broadcasts, according to Nielsen ratings, with all top 20 spots going to NFL games. The Oscars, once a live TV ratings bonanza, clocked in at number 60.

Reaction Score
In terms of TV watching on a national basis...they currently are irrelevant. Just facts. Not condescending at all unless you are very defensive (people like you ?).

Sure, there are 100's of teams out there...133 just in FBS. You think that all of those 133 teams are relevant in terms of national viewing interest ?...they aren't in the mainstream of football watching...but will be viewed in ithe future in individual niche streaming opportunities.

Sure, 31,000 folks watched Troy vs Southern Miss...and 17,000 watched Charlotte v USF. The same week, there were 11 games watched by 3 million or more....in those 11 games, 15 teams who will play in the SEC or B1G were featured...the only one of those games not featuring a SEC/B1G was a match between Iowa State and Kansas.

One recognizing reality is not being condescending.
And yet here you are posting on the board of one of those institutions that you yourself say will be one of those deemed "irrelevant." Frankly, I'd rather watch a rerun of Spenser for Hire with Robert Urich wearing a Seminoles shirt than watch FSU play Clemson. So yeah, it is a bit condescending.

Reaction Score
OK you hate FSU...got it...I watch a lot of football as a fan...and no, I don't hunt for Bowling Green or Akron....

And yes...I think that UConn is doomed to be nationally irrelevant in football....as do many Yarders.

I hope that I am wrong since I do follow UConn...

Reaction Score
OK you hate FSU...got it...I watch a lot of football as a fan...and no, I don't hunt for Bowling Green or Akron....

And yes...I think that UConn is doomed to be nationally irrelevant in football....as do many Yarders.

Nowhere did I say I hate FSU but like many in the Northeast (and I certainly do not speak for us as a group) the allure of a FSU/Clemson game is not going to make me stay home and watch.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

What you are having a tough time wrapping your head around is that when enough fans leave the sport, even the fans of the remaining schools will lose interest in the sport. There is a tipping point where fan interest will simply collapse.

Reaction Score
FSU's coach, Mike Norvell, is a candidate for the Alabama job. On Sirius radio this morning they were talking about how Norvell should take it partly due to the widening gap in revenues between the P2 and the ACC that FSU has admitted to as well by trying to leave the ACC. If Norvell leaves, I think FSU will double down on their attempt to leave the ACC.

Reaction Score
What you are having a tough time wrapping your head around is that when enough fans leave the sport, even the fans of the remaining schools will lose interest in the sport. There is a tipping point where fan interest will simply collapse.

Could be....I find that the pay for play, Portal, etc, etc has dampened my interest some...but I am a football fan...I watch a lot of games...not a fan of the SEC or B1G, but I watch some of their games.

I think that is common...8.73 million tuned in to watch Nebraska v Colorado...prurient interest more than fandom of the schools...

I read that 80% of those who identify as fans of a school have never set foot on the campus.

Many tune into a game to watch a marquee match who are not fans or either team....why else do 10 million watch Ohio State v Penn State or 8 million watch Tennessee v Alabama.

Reaction Score
Nowhere did I say I hate FSU but like many in the Northeast (and I certainly do not speak for us as a group) the allure of a FSU/Clemson game is not going to make me stay home and watch.

Sure...but 9 million watched FSU v LSU...5 million FSU v Florida, 9 million Alabama-Auburn....maybe they weren't from the northeast...I could be wrong, but the national take has been that the northeast isn't a college football TV viewing hot spot. More pro oriented in fandom and viewing.

Regionality plays in...the south and Midwest are college football oriented,,,,the northeast seems college basketball oriented...and I have no idea about the west coast.

I'm a Floridian and my wife is a Texan...we grew up in a Friday Night Lights atmosphere...high school football was a big deal...and I have had a long lifetime of football memories...

Basketball ? I'm still learning after getting interested very late in life.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FSU's coach, Mike Norvell, is a candidate for the Alabama job. On Sirius radio this morning they were talking about how Norvell should take it partly due to the widening gap in revenues between the P2 and the ACC that FSU has admitted to as well by trying to leave the ACC. If Norvell leaves, I think FSU will double down on their attempt to leave the ACC.
How would they double down on their attempt to leave? File a second lawsuit?

Reaction Score
Could be....I find that the pay for play, Portal, etc, etc has dampened my interest some...but I am a football fan...I watch a lot of games...not a fan of the SEC or B1G, but I watch some of their games.

I think that is common...8.73 million tuned in to watch Nebraska v Colorado...prurient interest more than fandom of the schools...

I read that 80% of those who identify as fans of a school have never set foot on the campus.

Many tune into a game to watch a marquee match who are not fans or either team....why else do 10 million watch Ohio State v Penn State or 8 million watch Tennessee v Alabama.
The point is (and not to pick on you) this consolidation is going to kill the sport for the average fan. When we lost our team for a few years I continued to purchase NHL Center Ice. When the NHL took the year off I found other things to do. If this breaks down to 50 or so teams either consciously or subconsciously fans of those institutions who feel slighted will find other things to do. I didn't watch one second of the college football playoff. Simply not interested. Look at Boston. Top 10 market. 4 pro sports teams. Nobody gives a rats behind about BCU outside of the Beanpot. NYC with it's 100 pro sports teams doesn't care about Rutgers or Syracuse (as much as they would like to believe this). They're only slightly interested about St. John's because of Pitino.

Reaction Score
this is not going to happen.

Reaction Score
Florida State and head football coach Mike Norvell have agreed to a new contract in the midst of the Seminoles boss being tied to the Alabama coaching search, essentially removing Norvell from consideration to leave for the Crimson Tide. Details of the "enhanced" extension aren't yet official but ESPN reports it will be eight years and pay Norvell more than $10 million annually. Norvell previously signed a contract extension prior to the 2023 season, but after going 13-1 this past fall, he's set to receive yet another salary increase.

Reaction Score
Florida State and head football coach Mike Norvell have agreed to a new contract in the midst of the Seminoles boss being tied to the Alabama coaching search, essentially removing Norvell from consideration to leave for the Crimson Tide. Details of the "enhanced" extension aren't yet official but ESPN reports it will be eight years and pay Norvell more than $10 million annually. Norvell previously signed a contract extension prior to the 2023 season, but after going 13-1 this past fall, he's set to receive yet another salary increase.

not the title but the line before the title.

Reaction Score
Norvell is right up there with the top paid coaches....winning the Bear Bryant Coach of the Year helped...fitting that Saben retiring might have helped...but word is that he had already agreed to the extension.

Reaction Score
Fans won't lose interest. Is anyone here going to stop watching UConn? No.
I can only speak for myself, but I think the consolidation of powers, the portal and multi-transfer players are having a negative impact on my interest. I "root for the laundry" in that I back the uniform regardless of the specific players on the roster or even the win-loss record (although I do very much want my teams to win). But I do expect the players to share some allegiance to the school and, however tenuous it may have been in the past, some connection to education. If the rosters are experiencing mass turnover from year to year and players are essentially annual free agents being sold to the highest bidder, it's a professional sport. It may be a minor league, but then I'll give it the same level of interest I give to minor league sports - go to an occasional game as entertainment, but I'm not buying season tickets or watching them on TV when I can watch much better play in the major league version. I don't have the same emotional attachment to the minor league teams and players because I know their sole function is as a pass through for a handful of the best players, not to represent me, my community, my school or any other slice of life with which I'm associated. I've never seen a minor league player cry when they lose a championship.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I can only speak for myself, but I think the consolidation of powers, the portal and multi-transfer players are having a negative impact on my interest. I "root for the laundry" in that I back the uniform regardless of the specific players on the roster or even the win-loss record (although I do very much want my teams to win). But I do expect the players to share some allegiance to the school and, however tenuous it may have been in the past, some connection to education. If the rosters are experiencing mass turnover from year to year and players are essentially annual free agents being sold to the highest bidder, it's a professional sport. It may be a minor league, but then I'll give it the same level of interest I give to minor league sports - go to an occasional game as entertainment, but I'm not buying season tickets or watching them on TV when I can watch much better play in the major league version. I don't have the same emotional attachment to the minor league teams and players because I know their sole function is as a pass through for a handful of the best players, not to represent me, my community, my school or any other slice of life with which I'm associated. I've never seen a minor league player cry when they lose a championship.
Actually in addition to Kibble's well stated position if UConn loses access to playing at a high level, meaning regular P2/3 opponents (and yes an outside shot, no matter how remote, of playing for a NC) my answer could easily be "yes", and I don't think I'm alone in this.

At that point I would rather invest my sports viewing time in MLS (if they ever drop the horrendous crApple TV platform) and Campeonato Brasileiro Série A futebol.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
this is not going to happen.

You like to disagree with me without ever explaining what you are disagreeing with. Are driveby posts your thing, or do you actually have thoughts on any of this?

Reaction Score
You like to disagree with me without ever explaining what you are disagreeing with. Are driveby posts your thing, or do you actually have thoughts on any of this?
It's clear what I disagreed with, you're being sillier than usual now.

Reaction Score
Anyone here? No. But look at our attendance when in the BCS and compare to when we were relegated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom