OT: - Fatts Russell in the transfer portal | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Fatts Russell in the transfer portal

Reaction Score
That's a very good list of schools. And Penn State
He is a very good player. I don't think anyone is surprised by the quality of schools that are interested. Given our roster and needs, that doesn't necessarily make him a must get or even a good fit for UConn.

Reaction Score
Not sure about Russell. Haven't seen enough to formulate a fair opinion. However, I say with confidence that Cole was exposed defensively moreso than other UConn regular all season. He struggled with both quicker and bigger guards, which is to say most of the big east. To have him and Fatts on the floor at the same time sounds like a matchup disaster for UConn.
I completely disagree and don't know where you're getting this from. Cole has been very good to great on defense. Only time I saw him truly struggle was Gillespie bumping him all the way under the hoop for easy post up scores. Cole has held all the other point guards in check or shut them down. He moves his feet very well staying in front of his man and generally harasses them and he's adept at taking charges. Fatts Russell was all conference defensively last year and was one of 15 players nationally who was on the Naismith mid-season defensive player of the year list.

Reaction Score
He is a very good player. I don't think anyone is surprised by the quality of schools that are interested. Given our roster and needs, that doesn't necessarily make him a must get or even a good fit for UConn.
Must get, no, don't think anyone is a must get with the team we have returning next year. I'll have to disagree that he's not a good fit, I think he fills a pretty big hole on next year's team, which may not matter if there's no mutual interest

Reaction Score
I completely disagree and don't know where you're getting this from. Cole has been very good to great on defense. Only time I saw him truly struggle was Gillespie bumping him all the way under the hoop for easy post up scores. Cole has held all the other point guards in check or shut them down. He moves his feet very well staying in front of his man and generally harasses them and he's adept at taking charges. Fatts Russell was all conference defensively last year and was one of 15 players nationally who was on the Naismith mid-season defensive player of the year list.
Staying in front of posh ?

Reaction Score
Its cool to disagree. But very good to great? That is a stretch. There were mulitple times this season where it was frustrating to see him backpedaling to the basket with his hands vertical, getting beat and bullied off the ball. He was far from great. Maybe he does move his feet well, but I still contend, because of his size, he was exposed and stuggled with the better big east guards.

Reaction Score
Must get, no, don't think anyone is a must get with the team we have returning next year. I'll have to disagree that he's not a good fit, I think he fills a pretty big hole on next year's team, which may not matter if there's no mutual interest
I don't want to create a 3 page back and forth so I will stop after asking this. Out of pure curiosity, what big hole would Fatts fill?

Reaction Score
Staying in front of posh ?
He couldn't even stay in front of Zegarowski. Again, its not a skill thing but a size thing, which is why the thought of partnering him with an even smaller guard is less than ideal

Reaction Score
no uconn! i wonder if he will go to bobby's sun devils team...
From what i’ve seen it seems like Bobby Hurley kinda wants out of ASU, but judging by the caliber of coach he is (despite a horrible season) I can only see him leaving for a REALLY good job. But then again, he is definitely still recruiting as if he’s going to stay there, at least for now

Reaction Score
I don't want to create a 3 page back and forth so I will stop after asking this. Out of pure curiosity, what big hole would Fatts fill?
I think scoring is a glaring weakness next year, particularly with anyone being able to get their own shot. He's not a perfect fit, ideally it's someone who's a little bigger or can shoot it a little better. But in terms of talented additions, I'm not sure we find someone who checks off more boxes, maybe just different ones

Reaction Score
That's a very good list of schools. And Penn State
If anything the Penn State inclusion makes the most sense. Playing on a team with two other scholarship players and a few equipment managers is the ultimate green light for a shooter.

Reaction Score
I think scoring is a glaring weakness next year, particularly with anyone being able to get their own shot. He's not a perfect fit, ideally it's someone who's a little bigger or can shoot it a little better. But in terms of talented additions, I'm not sure we find someone who checks off more boxes, maybe just different ones
I agree with that. I feel we need to replace Bouknight's production moreso than add to Cole's. Nothing against Fatts who is a fine player and could play here, I just feel we can find a better fit.

Reaction Score
Gaff was our worst backcourt defender. Hated seeing his man go by and watching him chase. He needs work on both sides of the this off season. If not he’ll be moving behind Sool and if we get Fatts him too.

Reaction Score
You're really exposing yourself. Cole kept Zegs under his season averages in points, shooting %, and assists.

Sure, his season average in points was 15 and he put 15, 13 and 11 (including some huge buckets down the stretch). He was above his season shooting percentage in one game (you're correct below in the other two) and was under his assist season average in each game by.....one assist. You're technically correct, which is the best kind, but please don't act like the poster is exposing himself with what he said.

No one is saying Cole is a bad defender. He's definitely above average and can be phenomenal sometimes. But to pretend like he's some amazing defender is a bit much.

Reaction Score
Sure, his season average in points was 15 and he put 15, 13 and 11 (including some huge buckets down the stretch). He was above his season shooting percentage in one game (you're correct below in the other two) and was under his assist season average in each game by.....one assist. You're technically correct, which is the best kind, but please don't act like the poster is exposing himself with what he said.

No one is saying Cole is a bad defender. He's definitely above average and can be phenomenal sometimes. But to pretend like he's some amazing defender is a bit much.

There are multiple posts saying Cole was a bad defender. One says that he was more exposed defensively than any other player on the roster this season.

Reaction Score
You're really exposing yourself. Cole kept Zegs under his season averages in points, shooting %, and assists.

Agree I thought we did a pretty good job on Zegs. I wouldn't say spectacular, but pretty darn good. He shot 3/17 from 3 in his games against us. Didn't shoot any FTs in the second game. 5/5 in our most recent and 2/2 from FT in the first. 8 AST/10 TO total--well below his season averages.

The only issue was he shot 12/21 from 2 point land in our 2 games... which is very good.

But it seems obvious that our goal was to take away his 3 point shot and playmaking ability and we did very well. You can't guard everything, which obviously left us vulnerable on the drive since we were helping less off the ball and smothering him on the arc.

Reaction Score
There are multiple posts saying Cole was a bad defender. One says that he was more exposed defensively than any other player on the roster this season.
Why don't you go re-read what we are saying. Cole is an undersized pg. His size often caused other teams to expose his weakness. Both faster and bigger guards caused him fits. He may move his feet well, but he is not a great on ball defender. This is a counterpoint to some who suggest a backcourt of Fatts and Cole would work. In the big east, it simply will not.

Reaction Score
Lol ok sure, let's get pedantic - a few people, in some posts, said he's not a good defender. Clearly don't agree with them, as I stated in my post.
Agree I thought we did a pretty good job on Zegs. I wouldn't say spectacular, but pretty darn good. He shot 3/17 from 3 in his games against us. Didn't shoot any FTs in the second game. 5/5 in our most recent and 2/2 from FT in the first. 8 AST/10 TO total--well below his season averages.

The only issue was he shot 12/21 from 2 point land in our 2 games... which is very good.

But it seems obvious that our goal was to take away his 3 point shot and playmaking ability and we did very well. You can't guard everything, which obviously left us vulnerable on the drive since we were helping less off the ball and smothering him on the arc.
I think this supports both sides. Cole did a great job of running him off the three point line, and he's an amazing defender on the perimeter. Seems like Zegs adjusted a bit and went inside more. Again, Cole is a good defender, but to call him great or think we'll be ok pairing him with another undersized guard is a stretch.

Reaction Score
You love twisting things. The box score doesn't tell it all. How many of Zegs points were in the paint? How many were layups taking Cole off the dribble? To suggest he isn't undersized and often times exposed is simply not true. To suggest that because Zegs was struggling with his 3 pt shot had anything to do with Cole's defense is exposing yourself. I am more than happy to watch any game film with you and I will bet you anything that more than any other regular player, that Cole is most often the player who is beat on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
You love twisting things. The box score doesn't tell it all. How many of Zegs points were in the paint? How many were layups taking Cole off the dribble? To suggest he isn't undersized and often times exposed is simply not true. To suggest that because Zegs was struggling with his 3 pt shot had anything to do with Cole's defense is exposing yourself. I am more than happy to watch any game film with you and I will bet you anything that more than any other regular player, that Cole is most often the player who is beat on the defensive end.
I haven't twisted anything, these are your posts I responded to...
Not sure about Russell. Haven't seen enough to formulate a fair opinion. However, I say with confidence that Cole was exposed defensively moreso than other UConn regular all season. He struggled with both quicker and bigger guards, which is to say most of the big east. To have him and Fatts on the floor at the same time sounds like a matchup disaster for UConn.

He couldn't even stay in front of Zegarowski. Again, its not a skill thing but a size thing, which is why the thought of partnering him with an even smaller guard is less than ideal

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom