OT: - Fatts Russell in the transfer portal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Fatts Russell in the transfer portal

Reaction Score
Interesting. If Hurley wants him ...... Maybe slide RJ to the 2 .
And have the smallest back court in the big East? No thanks. Cole has a few inches on Fatts and I felt his height was constantly exposed on the defensive end. I get why people are trying to connect Fatts w UConn but I don’t see how it’s a good fit.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I’m wondering if he was considering coming here last year and it didn’t work out, what would make it different this year? Last year we did only have one scholarship at that time and were pursuing AS pretty hard, so that could have been a factor.

Anyways, that’s just me overthinking it. Ill be happy if he comes here and happy for him if he ends up elsewhere, but ultimately I trust Hurley in his recruiting

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would be really, really, really, really, really, really surprised.

I feel like this one ticks boxes for UConn that are already ticked.

Reaction Score
I’m wondering if he was considering coming here last year and it didn’t work out, what would make it different this year?
could have just been that he wasnt sure if he'd get a waiver if he transferred and he didnt wanna redshirt. now the waiver rule is as good as passed so it's not a factor

Reaction Score
If it's the Fatts Russell from his junior year I would take him in a heartbeat. The guy makes stuff happen all over the place and can put the ball in the hoop, I don't care how small he is.

Reaction Score
First, I don’t know why people want to bring Fatts onto a team for 1 year in which we have THREE point guards on the roster

Sure the bond between Hurley and Fatts is something special... but Hurley knows what’s in the best interest of the team and knows with the situation it just won’t work out.

Third, this fits none of the desired needs from the transfer portal. What’s we think we need/want is a
  • Big Guard
  • Shooter
  • Big man as a grad transfer

As good of a player Fatts is he doesn’t fit into any of the categories.

Reaction Score
I’d take him yesterday. Get him healthy, have him shoot 500 shots per day and put a little more muscle on him. He’s a better talent than we saw this year.

Diggins needs to develop, Cole is good in both guard spots, he can play with Fatts. Gaff is there to play 1/2/3 as needed. I like it.

I still want a taller shooter, but our roster may have some other changes coming that will fill that role. You can’t pass up a healthy Fatts.

Reaction Score
This is what the grad transfer portal is meant for in my opinion. You shouldn't rely on grad transfers to base your entire roster on. I think they should be for added depth and to fill needs. The best part is how they only take up a scholarship for one season, and the fact they are experienced players. So, instead of leaving scholarships unfilled, Id rather add a grad transfer. With that said, I would take Fatts in a second over leaving a scholarship open.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I would be really, really, really, really, really, really surprised.

I feel like this one ticks boxes for UConn that are already ticked.
With exception of scoring. We need playmakers for next year. We have a group of number 2 options. Hey we won a national championship with 2 5’10 guards. With all this said I spoke with Andrea last year and she laughed about the idea of Fatts coming to UConn but maybe things have changed. He didn’t even enter the portal last year. Let’s hope he’s just looking for a shot at a championship or more exposure.

Reaction Score
We won with Bazz and Boat. Cole and Fatts would be fine. I don’t think we can bank on Gaffney and Diggins being the answer next season. Gaffney hasn’t shown me enough, especially as a ball handler. I believe you make it work with great players. Give me Fatts

Reaction Score
Super tight with Hurley & Martin. While I don’t know exactly the fit. With Bouk gone, RJ may be the only person who can get a shot for himself off the dribble next year

Reaction Score
Super tight with Hurley & Martin. While I don’t know exactly the fit. With Bouk gone, RJ may be the only person who can get a shot for himself off the dribble next year
Exactly. We’re going to need more bucket getters

Reaction Score
Exactly. We’re going to need more bucket getters
That's the way I look at it, we'll have a bunch of athletes and guys who can do a lot of things but not a lot of guys who look like they can take you off the dribble and get a bucket.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
With exception of scoring. We need playmakers for next year. We have a group of number 2 options. Hey we won a national championship with 2 5’10 guards. With all this said I spoke with Andrea last year and she laughed about the idea of Fatts coming to UConn but maybe things have changed. He didn’t even enter the portal last year. Let’s hope he’s just looking for a shot at a championship or more exposure.

No.

He’s a 33% percent shooter - from the field - in the A10.

Do you know how that translates into the Big East? Poorly.

A pair of socks could enter the portal and 80% of this board would offer it a scholarship.

Reaction Score
No.

A pair of socks could enter the portal and 80% of this board would offer it a scholarship.
He'll get better coaching and be surrounded with much better players at UCONN.

Reaction Score
There doesn’t seem to be much rhyme or reason to the transfers that get people excited here versus the ones that get a “hard pass.” An inefficient undersized guard doesn’t seem to be an area of need.

Reaction Score
I imagine the board will be split on this one but personally I don’t see the fit at all. I also.......don’t think he’s that special.
Sorry but tyrese will be and should be the last and best caliber player to be plucked from that conference and team. On to better pastures. Thanks. Maybe last year or before. The ship has upgraded and left the dock.

Reaction Score
No.

It sounds like his season was a mess with injury and Covid this year but last year he averaged 26 ppg against Bama, LSU, West Virginia, and Providence. The guy can clearly play and get buckets against P5 teams and he's coming from the A-10 which isn't exactly like playing for Howard and I think RJ has shown he's worthy.

Reaction Score
There doesn’t seem to be much rhyme or reason to the transfers that get people excited here versus the ones that get a “hard pass.” An inefficient undersized guard doesn’t seem to be an area of need.
Which previous transfer we’ve talked about averaged 26 in a league the caliber of the A10?

Reaction Score
In fairness, you can’t watch him and not get a bit excited by the potential but his shot selection is generally atrocious. Wild and unnecessary shots. I have no doubt he’d be a good addition if he could be smarter about his shot selection, but I have a lot of doubts that he will stop taking the NBA range+ threes early in the shot clock.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom