OT: - Fatts Russell in the transfer portal | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Fatts Russell in the transfer portal

Reaction Score
You just described Ryan Boatright. Boat was a slightly better shooter that played with WAAAAAAAY better talent. Surround Fatts with better offensive talent and his efficiency numbers would increase. Fatts may be faster than Boat, with boat being the better leaper. But we're really splitting hairs at that point
I would not assume that playing with better players leads to better efficiency. Your opponents matter, too. Ask RJ Cole who shot 42% his last year at Howard and 38% this year at UConn. Fatts' best season of 38% in the A-10 is concerning at the least, and probably a big red flag.

Reaction Score
I would not assume that playing with better players leads to better efficiency. Your opponents matter, too. Ask RJ Cole who shot 42% his last year at Howard and 38% this year at UConn. Fatts' best season of 38% in the A-10 is concerning at the least, and probably a big red flag.
The league RJ played in isnt close to the A10. That's a joke. Fatts would absolutely get easier looks playing with better offensive talent. If you watch fatts, his issues at URI haven't been his ability to shoot but rather the shots he's been taking. URI's system literally has let Fatts do whatever he wants, ZERO structure. It's my biggest knock on Cox. Put Fatts in some structure, with high level D1 talent. His efficiency would be so close to Boat's senior year, itd be laughable to ignore the similarities

Reaction Score
You just described Ryan Boatright. Boat was a slightly better shooter that played with WAAAAAAAY better talent. Surround Fatts with better offensive talent and his efficiency numbers would increase. Fatts may be faster than Boat, with boat being the better leaper. But we're really splitting hairs at that point
The difference between 41% from 3 and 36% is pretty dramatic over the course of the season. Especially when that 36% was an outlier.

If we do career from 3 it's 38% from Boat and 28% from Fatts.

In other words, Boat was a much better shooter in addition to being a better athlete and (though Fatts is a good defender) a better defender.

Reaction Score
The league RJ played in isnt close to the A10. That's a joke. Fatts would absolutely get easier looks playing with better offensive talent. If you watch fatts, his issues at URI haven't been his ability to shoot but rather the shots he's been taking. URI's system literally has let Fatts do whatever he wants, ZERO structure. It's my biggest knock on Cox. Put Fatts in some structure, with high level D1 talent. His efficiency would be so close to Boat's senior year, itd be laughable to ignore the similarities
No, what's a joke is watching our losses to Nova, Creighton and MD this year and thinking that a 5'10 guard who isn't a good shooter is the answer. It's not like he'd be coming to the 2018 Warriors. Take a step back and think about the quality of Big East defenders, and their size and strength.

Reaction Score
No, what's a joke is watching our losses to Nova, Creighton and MD this year and thinking that a 5'10 guard who isn't a good shooter is the answer. It's not like he'd be coming to the 2018 Warriors. Take a step back and think about the quality of Big East defenders, and their size and strength.
What's a joke is thinking that's at all what we were talking about. I definitely understand the argument against Fatts, i just disagree. What we were discussing was how good of a player he was. I think he's much closer to Boat than many realize. Also how would Bazz and Boat have faired in this big east? Go ahead say something dumb......

Reaction Score
What's a joke is thinking that's at all what we were talking about. I definitely understand the argument against Fatts, i just disagree. What we were discussing was how good of a player he was. I think he's much closer to Boat than many realize. Also how would Bazz and Boat have faired in this big east? Go ahead say something dumb......
Thinking Fatts and anyone on this UConn roster is comparable to Bazz and Boat is your first problem

Reaction Score
Given they won a title in which they beat Villanova—the Big East's best team that year—in Philadelphia by double digits even though Shabazz had to miss most of the first half, I think they'd have done just fine.

I think you're way underselling how good Boatright was.

Reaction Score
The difference between 41% from 3 and 36% is pretty dramatic over the course of the season. Especially when that 36% was an outlier.

If we do career from 3 it's 38% from Boat and 28% from Fatts.

In other words, Boat was a much better shooter in addition to being a better athlete and (though Fatts is a good defender) a better defender.
I tend to think he improved his shooting over his career. He was injured last season. If he was healthy i do not believe he wouldve shot 24% from 3. He never got a chance to gain a rythm last season. Junior Year Fatts is the real Fatts imo. But again thats just my opinion

Reaction Score
Thinking Fatts and anyone on this UConn roster is comparable to Bazz and Boat is your first problem
You said he wouldn't fair well because of his size lmaoo. So, i brought up to players with similar size. Don't duck the question. Size is not the problem and not why we couldnt beat teams with bigger guards. So anyone saying they don't want Fatts because the guys in the big east are too "big and strong" are way off. And again Fatts and Boat ain't that different lol. Of course he isnt Bazz

Reaction Score
I tend to think he improved his shooting over his career. He was injured last season. If he was healthy i do not believe he wouldve shot 24% from 3. He never got a chance to gain a rythm last season. Junior Year Fatts is the real Fatts imo. But again thats just my opinion
Maybe you're right.

Even if you are, this team doesn't need a 5'10" kid who shoots 38% from the field and a hair under 36% from 3.

Again, I like Fatts and he's going to be good on a different team. If we're talking about whether or not he is a good player...well, he is. If we're talking about whether or not he should come to UConn...I think there are better fits for both parties.

Reaction Score
Maybe you're right.

Even if you are, this team doesn't need a 5'10" kid who shoots 38% from the field and a hair under 36% from 3.

Again, I like Fatts and he's going to be good on a different team. If we're talking about whether or not he is a good player...well, he is. If we're talking about whether or not he should come to UConn...I think there are better fits for both parties.
And Maybe i'm wrong lol. But i think had fatts come here you could expect something along the lines of 41-43% from 2 and 38-40% from 3

Reaction Score
What's the skinny on Fatts? I don't think he sees himself as a bench player or a role player next year. Has impressive list of suitors and DH ,out of respect for Fatts.,can't promise him the PT that Fatts is looking for at his next stop.

Also think DH is loyal to his PG candidates for next year and has sold Sool on PT .

Haven't seen Fatts enough to compare to Boatright but his shooting percentages in a year when he was playing hurt and his team needed him to score don't concern me.

Danny's call. If he sees a need --he certainly knows Fatts as well as anyone. Trust the Carpenter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FIFY

i said fatts and 2 other shooters that means 3. the shooters would be a wing and a stretch 4

if you were pointing out my semicolon typo then you should have assumed I meant 5 players, not 4: fatts, two shooters, a wing, and a stretch 4...

always looking for a reason to prove me wrong idk why...usually about the most trivial stuff too.
It's unintentional, I like most of your posts but respond to stuff I disagree with or in this case thought you were talking about filling 4 ships.
Its an insecurity of his. It comes from stating his opinion as fact then often times being extremly wrong. Its what he does. When he digs himself even deeper, he usually reverts to name calling.
This guy said Cole was exposed defensively more than any other UConn regular this season, I responded and said I think that's all wrong. He then said Cole couldn't stay in front of Zegs. I responded by pointing out Cole held Zegs under his season averages in pts., fg %, and assists this season and he throws a tantrum saying I twisted his words around and he's still throwing a tantrum saying I twisted his words a week later.

Reaction Score
It's unintentional, I like most of your posts but respond to stuff I disagree with or in this case thought you were talking about filling 4 ships.

This guy said Cole was exposed defensively more than any other UConn regular this season, I responded and said I think that's all wrong. He then said Cole couldn't stay in front of Zegs. I responded by pointing out Cole held Zegs under his season averages in pts., fg %, and assists this season and he throws a tantrum saying I twisted his words around and he's still throwing a tantrum saying I twisted his words a week later.
No tantrum here. Just calling you out for the continued nonsense you push on here as fact.

Reaction Score
He's Ryan Boatright esque. And thats not hyperbole
Hard disagree here.

Career shooting rates
Boatright: 40.9 2p%, 28.1 3p%
Russell: 43.8 2p%, 38.0 3p%

I can't see better talent improving Russell's 3p% by 10%, let alone 5%.

Reaction Score
Hard disagree here.

Career shooting rates
Boatright: 40.9 2p%, 28.1 3p%
Russell: 43.8 2p%, 38.0 3p%

I can't see better talent improving Russell's 3p% by 10%, let alone 5%.
Career stats have zero to do with my point. I’m speaking in Junior year Fatts. I don’t count last year, he barely played consistent minutes and was hurt. Junior year Fatts shot 36% from 3 and 38% from 2. Surrounding him with better talent, shots, and structure increases his efficiency by 3-4 percentage points easily imo

Reaction Score

Nah he would be playing against better players in the Big East as well not the A10 defenders. This is fine we’re not on this list people are overestimating what his value would’ve been. He’d be worst than what Bouk brought us the last few games and look how he got killed. All worked out. Hes just a good player and a streaky at absolute best shooter. We have those need BETTER shooters.

Reaction Score
Nah he would be playing against better players in the Big East as well not the A10 defenders. This is fine we’re not on this list people are overestimating what his value would’ve been. He’d be worst than what Bouk brought us the last few games and look how he got killed. All worked out. Hes just a good player and a streaky at absolute best shooter. We have those need BETTER shooters.
I get it, he isn’t a perfect player by any means, or he probably would’ve never even been at URI. I just think we can use his skill set more than some think. One of our biggest issue this season is we had no one who could break down a defense and get into the paint consistently. When you consistently get into the paint it creates better 3 point opportunities, which in return would make us a better shooting team. We still have no one who can do that. Maybe sool? I just hate relying on freshman. There is no perfect player out there. But with 3 open scholarships we could’ve afforded to take a flyer on Fatts. “Better Shooters” don’t matter if you can’t get them good clean looks. That’s just my opinion, doesn’t mean it’s the right one, or I’d be the one making 4 million to coach lol

Reaction Score
What's happening with that guard from Penn State? Mereon is it?

15 ppg playing against good competition. He has experience which a freshman does not have.

Is he not one of the "good shooters" that we need? If he can create his own shot or can get to a screen (if any our players can create one), then I would sign him up if there is mutual interest.

I agree that without a good shooter of two, a clogged paint does not help the team. I get it about needing a penetrator to open it up for other players, but who is to say the penetrator, Fatts in particular, will be effective in the BE as opposed to the A10?

The Penn state guard, if interested, and I have never seen him play, seems like someone that could fulfill a need.

Reaction Score
Our point guards are smallxd
After watching Adams for three years and Martin wilt against good competition I’m all set on RI players, thanks.
i watched URI 30+ Times the past two years I barely noticed Martin last year. Fatts is Boatright-ease. Super quick. Shot well as a junior. We don’t have any quick guys and he’s a jet. I seriously didn’t even notice Martin.

Reaction Score
What's happening with that guard from Penn State? Mereon is it?

15 ppg playing against good competition. He has experience which a freshman does not have.

Is he not one of the "good shooters" that we need? If he can create his own shot or can get to a screen (if any our players can create one), then I would sign him up if there is mutual interest.

I agree that without a good shooter of two, a clogged paint does not help the team. I get it about needing a penetrator to open it up for other players, but who is to say the penetrator, Fatts in particular, will be effective in the BE as opposed to the A10?

The Penn state guard, if interested, and I have never seen him play, seems like someone that could fulfill a need.
We haven't reached out to him yet, did reach out to Seth Lundy from Penn State though

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom