OT: - Fatts Russell in the transfer portal | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Fatts Russell in the transfer portal

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
good enough for gonzaga but not UConn lol

Gonzaga is losing its entire starting backcourt.

Even if he is an upgrade on Cole, how much is it and is it worth not landing another shooter?

That’s the question.

Reaction Score
Honestly surprised his list is as good as it is. Guy shot about 34% from the field, 25% from three last season in a mid-major conference and its not like he makes up for the poor shooting by being a playmaker with only 4.5 assists p/g. Horrendous numbers. The complete opposite of the type of player we need right now.
We mentored a player who starts at URI, so we watched at least 1/2 their games and Fatts was injured most of the season, he kept trying to come back and kept not being able to finish games. By the end of the season, he was able to play the whole game, but his quicks weren’t the same as when healthy. He was a warrior trying to play at way less than 100%. Love that mentality. Boat was a warrior.

Please, please stop quoting his injured year stats, he was a monster as a junior. He’s that guy.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga is losing its entire starting backcourt.

Even if he is an upgrade on Cole, how much is it and is it worth not landing another shooter?

That’s the question.
Basically, one of the quickest players in the country to donnell Beverly quicks. cole a much better shooter than dbev obv

Reaction Score
I like Fatts. In a different world he'd make sense on this team.

We don't live in that world. If he came here I'd be happy enough, but I'm glad this is the outcome.

Good luck to him wherever he goes. He'll be good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like Fatts. In a different world he'd make sense on this team.

We don't live in that world. If he came here I'd be happy enough, but I'm glad this is the outcome.

Good luck to him wherever he goes. He'll be a good.
All we need to do is watch a replay of the Maryland game and recognize that a backcourt of Fatts and Cole or Gaffney simply cannot exist. Couple that with Whaley graduating, and the above mentioned backcourt would not only get bullied, it probably gets Sanogo in quick foul trouble offering help side defense. Fatts is a very good player but given how this roster is constructed, he is an easy pass, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Fatts would probably be our best player next year, with Sanogo a close second. If Hurley passed, he’s got to have another option lined up. Or maybe, Fatts is just having some fun with all the interest and he just hasn’t had a real discussion with Hurley yet. I want to get Fatts, a shooter and a big (or keep Whaley).

Reaction Score

That’s the question.
it's a big upgrade and we could still have gotten 2 other shooters; on the wing and a stretch 4.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
it's a big upgrade and we could still have gotten 2 other shooters; on the wing and a stretch 4.

And then we’d be short at the 5. At least some traditional size.

Reaction Score
Fatts would probably be our best player next year, with Sanogo a close second. If Hurley passed, he’s got to have another option lined up. Or maybe, Fatts is just having some fun with all the interest and he just hasn’t had a real discussion with Hurley yet. I want to get Fatts, a shooter and a big (or keep Whaley).

The Athletic just put out a list of the best available unsigned high school kids and transfers. Russell was 24th on the list, behind a bunch of guys UConn has actually expressed interest in.

Ranking the 35 best available college basketball transfers and high school recruits

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That would be 4 players, we only have 3 open scholarships.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'I want to get Fatts'
on another thread here, they said that krispy kreme is giving away something like a free donut every day for a year if you get the vaccine. mebbe that'll help?
just walkin around, pickin up the loose change...

Reaction Score
That would be 4 players, we only have 3 open scholarships.
FIFY
it's a big upgrade and we could still have gotten 2 other shooters: on the wing and a stretch 4.
i said fatts and 2 other shooters that means 3. the shooters would be a wing and a stretch 4

if you were pointing out my semicolon typo then you should have assumed I meant 5 players, not 4: fatts, two shooters, a wing, and a stretch 4...

always looking for a reason to prove me wrong idk why...usually about the most trivial stuff too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I feel like the stars are aligning for a Corey Floyd reclass into the 2021 class, but that is pure speculation. I was very surprised to not see UConn on the list of 20ish schools Fatts posted. Would have thought we would have been involved to some extent.

Reaction Score
FIFY

i said fatts and 2 other shooters that means 3. the shooters would be a wing and a stretch 4

if you were pointing out my semicolon typo then you should have assumed I meant 5 players, not 4: fatts, two shooters, a wing, and a stretch 4...

always looking for a reason to prove me wrong idk why...usually about the most trivial stuff too.
Its an insecurity of his. It comes from stating his opinion as fact then often times being extremly wrong. Its what he does. When he digs himself even deeper, he usually reverts to name calling.

Reaction Score
We mentored a player who starts at URI, so we watched at least 1/2 their games and Fatts was injured most of the season, he kept trying to come back and kept not being able to finish games. By the end of the season, he was able to play the whole game, but his quicks weren’t the same as when healthy. He was a warrior trying to play at way less than 100%. Love that mentality. Boat was a warrior.

Please, please stop quoting his injured year stats, he was a monster as a junior. He’s that guy.

Yeah monster year at 38.8/35.7? The guy has shot his team out of games as much as he won games. Lots of fun to watch? Yeah I agree, while he was on URI. He'd get roasted here with his numbers for all the bad shots etc etc.. His highest mark is 19-20 with those numbers I mentioned. Dod he have an injury his first year too with the 33.8/22.3 split in shooting? I mean we don't need that we need to people to make shots. Cole makes more, Gaff makes more. Can he guard a little better hell yeah but his numbers are Gilberts period and he's not as good a defender, no one wanted AG.

Please this works out best no doubt about it. There will be much better options in the transfer portal than this one and they will fit better.

Reaction Score
Fatts is a fun, exciting guard who can get buckets and get to the line, but we need shooters and shooting is perhaps Fatts' weakest attributes.

40.9 2P% and 28.1 3P% career splits. Even with that rate, he's still hoisting 6.6 3PAs per game.

Fun guy to watch and I wish him the best anywhere he goes, I just don't see him being a good fit on a good team that lacks shooters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t understand why people won’t listen. Fatts was hurt. His numbers were stellar his junior year. He’s a good player and pretty good shooter too.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why people won’t listen. Fatts was hurt. His numbers were stellar his junior year. He’s a good player and pretty good shooter too.
He's Ryan Boatright esque. And thats not hyperbole

Reaction Score
He's Ryan Boatright esque. And thats not hyperbole
I mean, Boatright was an incredible athlete on a level I don't see in Fatts.

His senior year Boatright averaged 17ppg on 41% shooting from 3 (42 from the field ?), but he was also an absolute killer defender. Fatt's best season were well below both those shooting numbers (38% from field, 36% from 3). He's definitely a shooter, in the sense that he takes a lot of shots...and he definitely makes things happen.

But, again, a 5'10" kid who—at his absolute best—a mediocre shooter and bad finisher, but streaky and exciting and can get into the lane and pass, is not a good fit on this team.

Reaction Score
I mean, Boatright was an incredible athlete on a level I don't see in Fatts.

His senior year Boatright averaged 17ppg on 41% shooting from 3 (42 from the field ?), but he was also an absolute killer defender. Fatt's best season were well below both those shooting numbers (38% from field, 36% from 3). He's definitely a shooter, in the sense that he takes a lot of shots...and he definitely makes things happen.

But, again, a 5'10" kid who—at his absolute best—a mediocre shooter and bad finisher, but streaky and exciting and can get into the lane and pass, is not a good fit on this team.
You just described Ryan Boatright. Boat was a slightly better shooter that played with WAAAAAAAY better talent. Surround Fatts with better offensive talent and his efficiency numbers would increase. Fatts may be faster than Boat, with boat being the better leaper. But we're really splitting hairs at that point

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom