OT: - Fatts Russell in the transfer portal | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Fatts Russell in the transfer portal

Reaction Score
Probably watched 1/2 of URI games as we knew one of their star players.

Couple Points:
1) URI was a dumpster fire, a zillion transfers in but had injuries and looked like a team without a strong culture. Very talented group on paper, lot of 4-stars, with no thought of roster composition I’d say. Many times, Cox reminded me of Ollie in his reactions And program spiral.

2) Fatts had a pretty significant ankle injury where he missed games and had to leave other games due to pain this year. For a small, quick player that’s really a Death knell for effectiveness. I don’t think he ever got to 100%.

3) As a junior, he couldn’t have reminded me much more of Ryan Boatright-lite. Respectable 36% from deep, and could get by anyone, anywhere. Unlike Al, he can finish at the rim. Gets to line a lot. He was different, bc healthy.

I often wonder how we’ll create offense without Bouk or quick guards, to me Fatts is part of the solution or a player like him, but players like junior year Fatts (healthy) are rare. I think Gaffney and Cole are both more effective off ball (no question on Gaffney).

Give me Fatts to help create, a pure shooter at 2/3 and a beefy 4/5 with some scoring ability.

Reaction Score
Shot 36% from 3 last year. 80% FT shooter 2 years in a row. Should be able to shoot in a supporting role with better shot selection.
Great passer, doesn't turn the ball over despite heavy defensive attention. Draws a load of fouls. Grabs a bunch of steals. All good things.

Hard to imagine why we wouldn't reach out to Myreon Jones but did reach out to Seth Lundy unless we knew a similar player would be interested...
Jones could simply want to go south (he’s from AL) so I don’t want to read too much into that. Hurley is also all about character fit and only Freeman knows about those PSU guys.

Fatts is a great defender despite his size and was great his junior year. But if he’s weighing going pro, will he come back to college for an off-the-bench role? Kind of hard for me to picture it, but if he’s willing to basically cut his role in half, then the story changes.

Reaction Score
Jones could simply want to go south (he’s from AL) so I don’t want to read too much into that.

Fatts is a great defender despite his size and was great his junior year. But if he’s weighing going pro, will he come back to college for an off-the-bench role? Kind of hard for me to picture it, but if he’s willing to basically cut his role in half, then the story changes.
Fatts would play a major part to next years team. Having shooters is irrelevant when you dont have anyone who can break down a defense and get in to the paint

Reaction Score
There's really no downside, if he's the Fatts from last year, he'll quickly see the bench. If he's the Fatts from the year before, he solves a big play making problem we have. We shouldn't be asking him to shoot 12 shots a game. Play great D on PGs, drive and dish, only shoot when open. If he's expecting a star role, I agree the fit isn't right.
I can think of a couple possible downsides (nothing major but things to consider):

1. You’re spending 4 of your 13 scholarships on point guards, while also having a guy in Andre that can handle the ball. This is less of an issue if some of the seniors come back (wouldn’t count against the scholarship limit) but assuming they leave I think you have greater needs than PG.

2. I personally think Diggins is going to be the starting PG at UConn from sophomore year on. Thinking to the future I want to make sure he gets the reps he needs next year to take over that role. I think he can have an Andre Curbelo like impact next season. If you hand all of the on ball playing time over to Fatts and RJ next year we could have an issue when they both leave simultaneously.

Reaction Score
Fatts would play a major part to next years team. Having shooters is irrelevant when you dont have anyone who can break down a defense and get in to the paint
When you have no threats to shoot, it’s much harder to drive into the paint. And having him and Cole both on the court wouldn’t always work defensively. In terms of his role, I’m all for him becoming a pass first guy, but he’s not good enough at shooting to shoot as often as he has throughout his career.

Cole and Andre can pass well. Gaffney isn’t a great passer, but he’s fine too. Shooting is a bigger need than passing IMO. We have a few scholarships so it’s not like we can’t have it both ways, but it’s just something to consider.

Reaction Score
We'll have at least 3 open scholarships. Adding Fatts won't hinder our ability to fill our other needs. Also are we really comfortable relying on Gaffney and Sool for ball handling next season?
Especially if we fill some of those other needs with players who won't take up scholarships

Reaction Score
I’d take him yesterday. Get him healthy, have him shoot 500 shots per day and put a little more muscle on him. He’s a better talent than we saw this year.

Diggins needs to develop, Cole is good in both guard spots, he can play with Fatts. Gaff is there to play 1/2/3 as needed. I like it.

I still want a taller shooter, but our roster may have some other changes coming that will fill that role. You can’t pass up a healthy Fatts.
Diggins needs playing time and that's how he will develop.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I whole-heartedly agree with the Boat comparison when healthy.

I keep looking for any way to rationalize it, but barring any changes on our end, I don’t think it makes sense. Even if Gaff moved to an off-ball role, which I think he may excel in, it’s just too crowded to see how everyone fits together.

If it happens, I’ll be thrilled because a healthy Fatts causing hell getting to the hoop and chaos on the defensive end would be so much fun but I’m struggling to see a path.

Reaction Score
The social media stuff is a little harder to sift through given all the URI connections we have. But Bouknight and Tyrese Martin both liked the post, Martin commented that it's a great move, and Martin also reposted the Fatt's post to his story with the fingers crossed emoji

Reaction Score
In a vacuum, sure. This has very little to do with what Fatts could potentially do, but when you see the talent in the transfer portal and what this roster needs to improve, there are simply better ways to fill our scholarships.
I suppose people can bring up the size of our back court in 2014 which would be a fair comparison(Atleast in height). The difference there is how they played defense. Kenny Smith said it perfectly after either the Mich State game or Florida. Most players play defense on the player. Case in point is Cole. How many times did we see the other teams pg dribble by him with Cole backpedaling completely vertical? Most high major point guards can separate when defense is played like that. In 2014, Napier and boat played almost down to the floor and ‘in to’ the the guys they were guarding. That made it extremely difficult for the other team to separate and get into their offense. That’s a massive difference. One scenario wins titles, the other does not. A Fatts and Cole backcourt would be disastrous together. While individually both could play, I can’t see how this would work.
What? Both Cole and Russell are very good defensively.

Reaction Score
The social media stuff is a little harder to sift through given all the URI connections we have. But Bouknight and Tyrese Martin both liked the post, Martin commented that it's a great move, and Martin also reposted the Fatt's post to his story with the fingers crossed emoji
It’s not hard to see what’s happening here. Martin 2.0

Reaction Score
If Fatts comes, it likely impacts Gaffney’s playing time more than Sool.
If Fatts and RJ are on the floor at the same time for most of the guard minutes. .Can easily see your point.

Who would be your PG or would simply have co-PGs ala Bazz/Boat?

Reaction Score
If Fatts and RJ are on the floor at the same time for most of the guard minutes. .Can easily see your point.

Who would be your PG or would simply have co-PGs ala Bazz/Boat?
I think you can theoretically play them both on the floor at the same time (depending on opponent). Both can create and distribute and while undersized, both are very good defensively. But Fatts isn't playing 35+ minutes a game here if that's what he wants.

Reaction Score
As always I trust the staff with recruiting--they've earned that. Objectively, he doesn't fit a huge need. But if he's looking to move up a level and recognizes that his role will be very different at this level, then sign me up.

Reaction Score
People forget that they didn't have true offseason this year. I think if Gaffney gets a real offseason to work on his game, he'll come to fruition. He's shown signs of it.

Reaction Score
Good player. Fats is used to being "the man." He would be that at UConn. I think he would be frustrated in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I trust the staff on this one but I think there are more glaring needs.

Does bringing in a volume shooter disrupt the chemistry? What happens with Diggins and Gaff? Are we willing to trade one year of Fats for one year of development for Gaff and Diggins (or maybe them deciding to leave?)

Reaction Score
I wouldn't take 1 years of Fatts if it impacts Sool or Hawkins development at all. Those 2 guys are the real deal and we've seen what impact a freshmen who has the time and leash to work through mistakes can do, ala Sanogo this year.

Reaction Score
What? Both Cole and Russell are very good defensively.
Not sure about Russell. Haven't seen enough to formulate a fair opinion. However, I say with confidence that Cole was exposed defensively moreso than other UConn regular all season. He struggled with both quicker and bigger guards, which is to say most of the big east. To have him and Fatts on the floor at the same time sounds like a matchup disaster for UConn.

Reaction Score
Not sure about Russell. Haven't seen enough to formulate a fair opinion. However, I say with confidence that Cole was exposed defensively moreso than other UConn regular all season. He struggled with both quicker and bigger guards, which is to say most of the big east. To have him and Fatts on the floor at the same time sounds like a matchup disaster for UConn.
Agree on Cole. He's gotten a rep on this board as an incredible on ball defender at the levels of some of our past great guards and I just don't see it. I think he's definitely above average, but if he doesn't make a defensive play outside of the other teams three point line he's toast - he's not big enough to stop a lot of guards from getting to the rim and can get abused on occasion. I like what he brings to the table but we can't trot him out with other minus defenders and expect to be ok.

On another, somewhat unrelated note, I hope Bouk is 100% healthy so that he can start bringing some effort on D again. I know he's exhausting himself on the other end, but he's had too many times recently where he's lazy rotating, doesn't put a hand up or simply falls asleep on D. Only tough on him because he has the ability and instincts to be a plus defender when he wants.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom