Fall Camp - The QB Battle | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Fall Camp - The QB Battle

Reaction Score
Mora can trust Charlton and hopefully he does but ultimately Mora has to make the call. His call may very well be agreeing with Charlton but no way does Mora defer his choice to a different choice by Charlton.
Mora doesn’t seem like a micro manager like RE. He seems more like a delegator with the amount of staff hired. But if things aren’t going well, who knows.

Reaction Score
We brought one OL in who has been a starter. And that one was a starter in the Ivy League.

I’m not knocking any of the newcomers, but with the exception of some LBs I think it’s nothing more than hopeful thinking to act like we know they are going to make us much better. Look — Mora’s a pro and if he wanted them I want them. But we’re just going to have to wait to see if and how much they make us better. Because optimistic words don’t make us better at all.

All they have to do is be better than last season’s crew.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Mora doesn’t seem like a micro manager like RE. He seems more like a delegator with the amount of staff hired. But if things aren’t going well, who knows.

A HC can dole out a lot. Deferring to an OC over QB is a big step. If an HC isn't sold on his OC's QB decision there will be doubt on everything else. HC and OC have to be 100% aligned on QB and I'd there is any doubt HC has to have the hammer for that decision.

Reaction Score
I like this. Sounds to me like Zion is realistic about wanting to win a starting gig but also realizing it's year one at the college level and he's got a lot to learn still. With the portal, I always worry about highly rated recruits and if they don't get PT that they think they want.

Mora has a good one here and I know he saw him as a "not this year probably" kid.
There are worse things than having to redshirt the first year. A matter of being careful what one wishes for. The first year behind a new OL? Likely to be a bit chaotic, perhaps not great for developing a QB. He will get his chances.

Reaction Score
The best QB, the QB that can give us the best chances should start.

If you’re considering keeping the best player on the bench to redshirt in the age of NIL and the transfer portal then you are coaching in the wrong decade.

Reaction Score
My guess is TR starts and is given to at least mid-season to show he should continue to start. Some of the others may get snaps during the first half of the season after games have been decided or if TR is just completely ineffective in any given game. Looking forward to the season and to the QB discussions on the BY, which will run hot and lively I'm sure!

Reaction Score
The reality is he's going to be a player for us. Whether he wins the QB battle or not, he's going to play because he's a player. He has that extra gear and quick step.

He's not a guy that's going to win you 8 games because he doesn't have the arm strength. But he could be the starter on a .500 squad.
I really hope he does end up winning us 8 games...Rooting hard fir it to happen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That would be wonderful if it happens. The likelihood of that, however, is far from a done deal at this point in time.
You are not wrong here, but I’m hopeful we make a quantum leap. Having competence in the OL is where the offense begins. So, yeah, it is not likely to be a finished product and day one, but I fully expect to see improvement. Substantial improvement.

CL82

Reaction Score
I’m not knocking any of the newcomers, but with the exception of some LBs I think it’s nothing more than hopeful thinking to act like we know they are going to make us much better.
morgan freeman GIF

Reaction Score
Mora can trust Charlton and hopefully he does but ultimately Mora has to make the call. His call may very well be agreeing with Charlton but no way does Mora defer his choice to a different choice by Charlton.
Not sure. I suspect it is Charlton's call. You don't hire an OC and then tell him he can't make fundamental calls like that. THAT would be micro-managing. Help with the OC's job comes only when the O has proved itself to be dysfunctional and the OC seems to be out of ideas or has no plan. Although the current plan of battle may not survive the first contact in Utah, UConn is a long long way from micro-managing the OC.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not sure. I suspect it is Charlton's call. You don't hire an OC and then tell him he can't make fundamental calls like that. THAT would be micro-managing. Help with the OC's job comes only when the O has proved itself to be dysfunctional and the OC seems to be out of ideas or has no plan. Although the current plan of battle may not survive the first contact in Utah, UConn is a long long way from micro-managing the OC.

It seems like we are dancing around the same idea.

My point was an HC isn't going to risk his job by going with a QB he doesn't think should have the job. It's more hypothetical or a way I would do business as an HC than it is referencing Mora's and Charlton's relationship. At the end of the day though, all personnel decisions are ultimately the HC's and if a coordinator doesn't like it, they can always step away. And that's not different than any other work relationship between subordinates and supervisors.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You guys are horribly overthinking this...

One must also keep in mind that it would be "weird" if the former interim HC, and current DC (and friend)'s judgement was publicly ripped.
This is 100% charlton's call.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You guys are horribly overthinking this...

One must also keep in mind that it would be "weird" if the former interim HC, and current DC (and friend)'s judgement was publicly ripped.
This is 100% charlton's call.

I don't think any decision made by Charlton or Mora with this year's squad positively or negatively reflects on decisions made by Spanos with last year's squad.

I mean the Mora/Charlton combo already evaluated Krawjeski and said thanks but no thanks. Is that supposed to reflect poorly on Spanos playing Steven Krajewski last year?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I don't think any decision made by Charlton or Mora with this year's squad positively or negatively reflects on decisions made by Spanos with last year's squad.

I mean the Mora/Charlton combo already evaluated Krawjeski and said thanks but no thanks. Is that supposed to reflect poorly on Spanos playing Steven Krajewski last year?
I'd believe your first line if Spanos weren't on the current staff. He is, so it would be awkward, at a minimum.

As for your 2nd, who else would have played? He played Tyler Phommachanh until he was hurt, when possible (I don't count the short week going into Purdue).

Reaction Score
This is 100% Charlton's call.
Agree. It would take something extremely unusual for Mora to reverse it. One example would be if Zion Turner is better than expected but Charlton wanted Tyler Phommachanh. The idea of redshirting (and losing Zion to the portal) might influence the final decision. NIL will become a big factor in allowing kids to stay longer.

CL82

Reaction Score
Agree. It would take something extremely unusual for Mora to reverse it. One example would be if Zion Turner is better than expected but Charlton wanted Tyler Phommachanh. The idea of redshirting (and losing Zion to the portal) might influence the final decision. NIL will become a big factor in allowing kids to stay longer.
People say that like Charlton is going to be making it in a closet somewhere and then suddenly is going to jump out and tell Mora his decision. There’s not a doubt in my mind that they are going to discuss pros and cons of each player and come to a decision.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Agreed, If Zion shows well in practice this season there will be some pressure to get this kid into games at some point. I expect other programs to circle back to him this fall with whispers.

I could see the season starting with Roberson (narrowly beating out the others) followed by Zion, Tyler Phommachanh and even Millen getting some starts in the last 6 games to help determine we will really have running this program in 2023. Roberson will have some serious internal competition on his hands all season long. Of course, if Roberson is crushing it and the others don't push, then this wont happen...but I am guessing that the others will be hungry and push all fall.

Looking to December, this roster might have a very new challenge- keeping players from taking the portal to float up rather than across or down.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agreed, If Zion shows well in practice this season there will be some pressure to get this kid into games at some point. I expect other programs to circle back to him this fall with whispers.

I could see the season starting with Roberson (narrowly beating out the others) followed by Zion, Tyler Phommachanh and even Millen getting some starts in the last 6 games to help determine we will really have running this program in 2023. Roberson will have some serious internal competition on his hands all season long. Of course, if Roberson is crushing it and the others don't push, then this wont happen...but I am guessing that the others will be hungry and push all fall.

Looking to December, this roster might have a very new challenge- keeping players from taking the portal to float up rather than across or down.

You get the dislike button just for using "circle back".

CL82

Reaction Score
You get the dislike button just for suing "circle back".
LOL, I used that phrase twice in a single phone call today. Let’s say it was a little unfocused and meandering for my preference.

Reaction Score
If Tyler Phommachanh isn't a legit QB and is neck and neck with the PSU cast off, then we really have (the same) problems.

I liked Sherriffs, but he wasn't good enough for where we want to be. Pindell was a gimmick. Tyler Phommachanh is a better thrower and possibly as good a runner.

Personally, I don't think either to lead us to a winning season, but I have lot more faith in Tyler Phommachanh at the moment than a bunch of guys I haven't seen who come with a lot of excuses as to why they were better elsewhere.

You must be confused. Tyler had very little arm strength on the move.

Reaction Score
You must be confused. Tyler had very little arm strength on the move.

This is a false Boneyard myth, he has plenty of arm strength, stronger than Shirreffs and he can throw very well on the run.

I guess you need proof so here it is. Check out the 25 yard close line on the run thrown right on the money at the 1:00.40 mark of this replay of the army game. One of several drops on the day.

Reaction Score
This is a false Boneyard myth, he has plenty of arm strength, stronger than Shirreffs and he can throw very well on the run.

I guess you need proof so here it is. Check out the 25 yard close line on the run thrown right on the money at the 1:00.40 mark of this replay of the army game. One of several drops on the day.

His arm strength is nowhere close to Shirreffs. We’ve seen him float 15 yd passes and throw 10 yd passes in the ground. If he’s the starter at any point this yr the seasons over

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom