Fall Camp - The QB Battle | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fall Camp - The QB Battle

Reaction Score
My guess based on nothing more than a feeling is Roberson is the guy for this year. If Turner is better he should play. In this day and age you just play the best person to win you games at any position but particularly the most important one. In the portal era there will be fewer and fewer guys staying 5 years to use a redshirt anyway at their original school.

Any freshman who can’t help can be redshirted. With the new rules you can get a look in a game now anyway.
This is where I am. But if a guy is redshirting, not all that sure there w I’ll be tons of programs vying for his services since nobody really knows what he can do. Is transferring to New Mexico State or FIU REALLY a better gig than UConn? Is transferring to Clemson to fight for a backup role better? And my guess is if he really is the best quarterback he will be the starting quarterback. In some ways that would almost be MORE worrisome. True frosh leads UConn past Michigan. I’d be worried he would be starting for the Wolverines in 2023. True frost hold a clipboard against Michigan. Not so much.

Reaction Score
This is where I am. But if a guy is redshirting, not all that sure there w I’ll be tons of programs vying for his services since nobody really knows what he can do. Is transferring to New Mexico State or FIU REALLY a better gig than UConn? Is transferring to Clemson to fight for a backup role better? And my guess is if he really is the best quarterback he will be the starting quarterback. In some ways that would almost be MORE worrisome. True frosh leads UConn past Michigan. I’d be worried he would be starting for the Wolverines in 2023. True frost hold a clipboard against Michigan. Not so much.
True, but If we beat Michigan he can transfer out the next week for all I care. LOL.

Reaction Score
The QB running is such a big part of today's college game but I would like to run one drill with all QB's. Our best outside wideouts, shotgun 3 throws and play action 3 throws to a seven yard out. A great first down play that shows if you have a real threat at QB. Put a half ass rush on but the winner should be able to hit all 6 throws right at the sideline.

Reaction Score
Turner absolutely has the talent for QB1. If he wins the battle he’s QB1 and there’s zero doubt about that. Whoever helps win games now is all that matters. I don’t really care about what actions could make him transfer down the road. I think you need to just coach with the Portal in the back of your mind. Sad that Tyler Phommachanh isn’t in the QB race to start the season

Reaction Score
I have a great idea (SARCASAM ALERT!!)

Rotate all 4 QBs. Each gets one play then rotate out.

Or one QB for long passing, one for short passing, one for QB run, the last QB to hand off to an RB.

I actually think we have (shudder) done things close to this during our journey through the valley of football shame.

I hope we can ride one of these guys to a few wins.

Reaction Score
A staff is playing a dangerous game if they redshirt a player that otherwise would be seeing the field. With the open transfer portal the QB position becomes a roulette wheel as players look for playing time. If a freshman is really good he may transfer to a higher level of competition. If a freshman doesn't play when he thinks he should he will transfer for a better opportunity. There is no predictability due to the transfer portal especially for the QB position. You have to play to win based on the best players you have this season as the roster churning will continue.
I think the portal dynamics make it much harder for coaches to play the competition game. I can’t see how many teams will be able to maintain a deep quality stable. Kids are going to move the minute they think they are just being strung along with no prospect of moving up to QB 1. Probably good for spreading around talent.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If the money is right, these kids will go anywhere. If a kid thinks he should be starting and a school drops him a line and a booster sends a text about a big NIL deal that UConn can't match, you can bet someone will go to FIU or NMSU.

It's sad and pathetic but welcome to college sports in 2022.

Reaction Score
Millen could be better than every QB we had on the roster last year. You can’t overestimate how bad last year’s team was.
The position was recruited over as were others.

Reaction Score
6BBBAD33-1534-4C53-A69C-E0B953131881.jpeg

sounds like Phommachanh is not out…

Reaction Score
We’re better off than last season.
Only because it couldn't possibly get any worse. In about a month we'll start to find out how much better. Guessing anywhere from 0% to 200% better. ;)

Reaction Score
We need to be 300% better at the least.
Boy that was a bad team last year….turn on the game… 5 minutes later…uconn down 14 to 0. … ten minutes later… uconn down 28 to 0… turn off the game and find something else to do☹️

Reaction Score
Boy that was a bad team last year….turn on the game… 5 minutes later…uconn down 14 to 0. … ten minutes later… uconn down 28 to 0… turn off the game and find something else to do☹️

There is a pretty solid D2 conference in Missouri and Kansas and most of the teams there looked more athletic than the huskies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Context:
Listening to that...I don't think Millen is in the mix. At least at this point. Mora mentioned the walk on before him. I may be reading too much into this...but Mora is media savvy...and he seems to be honest. He know how he lists the QB will be analyzed. I think it's TR then Tyler Phommachanh then Turner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom