Fall Camp - The QB Battle | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Fall Camp - The QB Battle

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Nothing against, Tyler Phommachanh. I appreciate that he came in under difficult circumstances, and he did provide a spark. The problem is that he's 5'10 and 187lbs with a weak arm. When he was throwing floaters 15 yards down the field, it looked like he was really trying to sling it. I'm pulling for him and all the quarterbacks, but it would be surprising to me if he beat the other guys out.
This. He was thrown into smoldering flames last year and he deserves respect for energizing the fan base the way he did. I hope once’s he’s 100% we can find a role for him, cause he is a plus athlete and it would be a shame for us to not utilize his talents.

Reaction Score
he brought in a former 4 star outa Penn St, because he knew nobody in the QB room was good enough.

LOL, you accuse people (falsely in my case because I don't give a rats you know what where he is from) of giving Tyler Phommachanh too much credit because he is from CT, but then you build up the "4 star QB from Penn State" as if that should factor into the selection process. You are doing the exact thing that you accuse other people of doing.

I think it is obvious that TR has physical talent and if he wins the job more power to him, I hope he becomes the best QB in UCONN history but suggesting Tyler Phommachanh move to another position when he played well last year as a freshman (based on reasonable standards) shows how ludicrous you are being.

You are the one letting pedigree cloud your judgement not me. I don't give a darn about star ratings or hometown, Performance while wearing the UCONN helmet is the only thing that matters.

BTW physical talent only goes so far, decision making under duress is just as important for QB's. I know Tyler Phommachanh is a good decision maker, we'll find out about the competition when the season starts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don’t let coach speak to the media confuse you either
This is an important note. You can talk to the coach about literally anyone and he's going to have nice words for them, unless if he's some clown which Mora is not.

Roberson would not be on the roster right now if Mora believed we'd be ok with a QB room consisting of Krajewski and Phommachanh. He obviously brought Roberson in as the starter. Phommachanh getting 1st team reps can't be ignored, and I along with many others on the BY am rooting for Puma to start, because I've met him and his family and want the CT kid to succeed. I'll have no issue with TR starting, whoever makes us better of course.

Getting emotional about someone being critical about Puma is obnoxious, knock it off.

Reaction Score
As the days go on I develop some new thoughts. Here they are.

Turner: Someone in a group chat mentioned to me that Turner, who was a highly-recruited player, likely chose UConn because he saw a QB room that he could walk into and compete for QB1 right away. If he wanted to redshirt he could've sat behind Grayson McCall at Coastal Carolina. We're talking about a kid that started as a freshman at St. Thomas Aquinas and won 3 state titles

Millen: Was a depth transfer and not much more. Sure we can call him a dark horse but I think his starting chances are equal to if not lower than Turner for starting.

Phommachanh: IDK, just excited about him and want to see him take the starting job

Roberson: most likely the starter. I have a hard time thinking it's anyone else

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As the days go on I develop some new thoughts. Here they are.

Turner: Someone in a group chat mentioned to me that Turner, who was a highly-recruited player, likely chose UConn because he saw a QB room that he could walk into and compete for QB1 right away. If he wanted to redshirt he could've sat behind Grayson McCall at Coastal Carolina. We're talking about a kid that started as a freshman at St. Thomas Aquinas and won 3 state titles

Millen: Was a depth transfer and not much more. Sure we can call him a dark horse but I think his starting chances are equal to if not lower than Turner for starting.

Phommachanh: IDK, just excited about him and want to see him take the starting job

Roberson: most likely the starter. I have a hard time thinking it's anyone else

I've mentioned it before, maybe even somewhere in this thread, I hope college football is just a bit too fast for Turner this year, he gets his feet wet and his mind straight and is taking snaps as QB1 for 2023-2025.

Reaction Score
This isn’t controversial, the point of the post is he didn’t play well based on the stats, and guys who post stats like that usually aren’t long term starters for winning teams. Get off your high horse.

You know Roberson’s stats last year were worse, right? And he wasn’t a true freshmen playing for arguably the worst team in the country.

He’s probably the favorite even though right now he’s just ahead by default but all of these guys have a lot to prove

Reaction Score
These kinds of posts are so funny cause you’ll only get reactions like this when you talk about a QB. If I suggested our RT from last year wasn’t good, nobody would blink an eye, but maybe suggest the qb who has obvious physical limitations with his stature(current and potential injuries) and arm strength might not be the QB of the future and people start pissing themselves. You can even provide stats to back up your claim, and that isn’t good enough either. Plus let’s be honest, if Tyler Phommachanh was from North Dakota, nobody would care.

Buddy I’d like us to actually be competitive some day. Mora didn’t just bring in a bandaid qb to hold us over until Tyler Phommachanh recovers, he brought in a former 4 star outa Penn St, because he knew nobody in the QB room was good enough. If Tyler Phommachanh beats out the players he brought in this off season, it’d be a major upset, and tbh would probably mean he’s so much better than Mora expected. Don’t let coach speak to the media confuse you either.
One thing I agree with you on is the zip code challenge…to many UConn fans, the player’s zip code is more important than his abilities.

Again, I have concerns about Tyler as a starting quarterback. Mainly that he was not a very good passer. But I also agree that he was hard to evaluate given all the rest of the stuff going on. But again, run first quarterbacks have serious limitation unless you are running Army’s offense.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One thing I agree with you on is the zip code challenge…to many UConn fans, the player’s zip code is more important than his abilities.

Again, I have concerns about Tyler as a starting quarterback. Mainly that he was not a very good passer. But I also agree that he was hard to evaluate given all the rest of the stuff going on. But again, run first quarterbacks have serious limitation unless you are running Army’s offense.

I though Tyler Phommachanh was a decent pocket passer.
Once he took off to run and he didn't have his feet set while throwing, his accuracy and arm strength went to nothing. Defenses will quickly learn to abandon receivers and sellout on run when they know a running QB can't throw on the run. And that is where his 5'11" 175 lbs frame hurts him. He just doesn't have size or strength to zip a ball across his body with any accuracy. Not even 10 yards.

Reaction Score
I know what the stats say, but you can’t discount what Tyler Phommachanh brought to the team when he was out there. It was glimpses of exciting football where it felt like we had a chance to be competitive or even sneak a Win. In the end though, I just want one of them to grab the reins of the team and clearly be the starter by their play!

Reaction Score
Reminds me when people discounted Shireffs because NC State wanted to move him to FB. They had better QB options but BS was an athlete. 4 star HS rating is sometimes meaningless if it doesn’t translate to FBS competition. Zion probably wasn’t highly recruited because of his lack of height. Millen was recruited for his last name like Warner or Manning. Roberson will start but if he struggles, next option will be used.

Reaction Score
Geez, did Fall practice start or something? Suddenly an awful lot of noise and tea leaf reading going on. ;)

It is mildly amusing to hear so much fanboy adulation of the new staff and now so much impassioned opinion on who should be QB1. Somehow I think the coaches will figure it out. Whoever it is will have to be a dual threat QB with the ability to sling the ball accurately all over the field while on the run. Because the OL is a couple of years away from being effective. So if we are not questioning the competence of Charlton and Mora (and we are not) then whoever they settle on should be fine with us.

Reaction Score
Geez, did Fall practice start or something? Suddenly an awful lot of noise and tea leaf reading going on. ;)

It is mildly amusing to hear so much fanboy adulation of the new staff and now so much impassioned opinion on who should be QB1. Somehow I think the coaches will figure it out. Whoever it is will have to be a dual threat QB with the ability to sling the ball accurately all over the field while on the run. Because the OL is a couple of years away from being effective. So if we are not questioning the competence of Charlton and Mora (and we are not) then whoever they settle on should be fine with us.
I don't see why the OL can't be effective now. This is the portal era, we built an OL over the offseason.

Reaction Score
Puma brought hope to the fans when he was playing. I will leave it up to Mora. but it would be awesome if Puma is our starting QB. Puma simply made good things happen while he was on the field.

The bigger concern should be the OL. Is our recently constructive OL off portal good enough for the season? Do we have depth? The quality of the QL will go a long way on the quality of the QB play.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is a high wire act for Mora. Thankfully, Randy isn't making this call. Zero chance he'd make the right pick. My main concern is that practice is practice, until we seen this live against real D1 opponents, it's all guesswork. Fingers crossed but it's another year of the worst offense in the country not having a clear #1 which means we are rolling the dice for another year. If it's not Tyler Phommachanh, then I will feel a little better if another guy beats him fair and square. I think Tyler Phommachanh is a player, better than anyone we've had in a while just on his short run as the starter.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I like this. Sounds to me like Zion is realistic about wanting to win a starting gig but also realizing it's year one at the college level and he's got a lot to learn still. With the portal, I always worry about highly rated recruits and if they don't get PT that they think they want.

Mora has a good one here and I know he saw him as a "not this year probably" kid.

Reaction Score
This is a high wire act for Mora. Thankfully, Randy isn't making this call. Zero chance he'd make the right pick. My main concern is that practice is practice, until we seen this live against real D1 opponents, it's all guesswork. Fingers crossed but it's another year of the worst offense in the country not having a clear #1 which means we are rolling the dice for another year. If it's not Tyler Phommachanh, then I will feel a little better if another guy beats him fair and square. I think Tyler Phommachanh is a player, better than anyone we've had in a while just on his short run as the starter.
I think there is a huge difference this year. Mora has several players who he feels can preform. It also looks like we have a much stronger offensive line which is huge.

Reaction Score
While Mora gets all the media attention and the QB questions—and provides the media with coach speak, Charlton is teaching and evaluating how each QB is handling the intricacies of his system—and delivering the ball most effectively. Mora has final say, but the starter will be whoever Charlton confidently confirms is “the guy” he wants to run his offense.

Reaction Score
While Mora gets all the media attention and the QB questions—and provides the media with coach speak, Charlton is teaching and evaluating how each QB is handling the intricacies of his system—and delivering the ball most effectively. Mora has final say, but the starter will be whoever Charlton confidently confirms is “the guy” he wants to run his offense.
That's probably right.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I agree... Mora will trust Charlton to run the show.

I am actually excited to see a Charlton offense. He receives a lot of praise for his knowledge and schemes. It will be interesting to see how fast he can get this team on the same page to execute his offense.

Reaction Score
I don't see why the OL can't be effective now. This is the portal era, we built an OL over the offseason.
We brought one OL in who has been a starter. And that one was a starter in the Ivy League.

I’m not knocking any of the newcomers, but with the exception of some LBs I think it’s nothing more than hopeful thinking to act like we know they are going to make us much better. Look — Mora’s a pro and if he wanted them I want them. But we’re just going to have to wait to see if and how much they make us better. Because optimistic words don’t make us better at all.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I agree... Mora will trust Charlton to run the show.

I am actually excited to see a Charlton offense. He receives a lot of praise for his knowledge and schemes. It will be interesting to see how fast he can get this team on the same page to execute his offense.

Mora can trust Charlton and hopefully he does but ultimately Mora has to make the call. His call may very well be agreeing with Charlton but no way does Mora defer his choice to a different choice by Charlton.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom