Fall Camp - The QB Battle | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Fall Camp - The QB Battle

Reaction Score
If he’s the starter at any point this yr the seasons over

Wow, you are clueless. Like I said earlier in the thread I will rely on the comments from Mora who stated on Friday that he now understands why everyone is so excited by the young QB.

Reaction Score
You guys are horribly overthinking this...

One must also keep in mind that it would be "weird" if the former interim HC, and current DC (and friend)'s judgement was publicly ripped.
This is 100% charlton's call.
If it is or it isn't, it's not like all the coaching stakeholders don't discuss this topic daily. If it isn't a consensus by the time game week starts I would be surprised.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He's not. Three days into the camp and only three days to see all the QB's in the same place at the same time. Another week at least and probably not until game prep starts a week before Utah State.
Dudedad What GIF

Reaction Score
Wow, you are clueless. Like I said earlier in the thread I will rely on the comments from Mora who stated on Friday that he now understands why everyone is so excited by the young QB.

That’s coachspeak he’s not gonna bury a kid in the media. But we’ll see what he really thinks come the season

Reaction Score
This is a false Boneyard myth, he has plenty of arm strength, stronger than Shirreffs and he can throw very well on the run.

I guess you need proof so here it is. Check out the 25 yard close line on the run thrown right on the money at the 1:00.40 mark of this replay of the army game. One of several drops on the day.

In that game, Puma was 11-26 with an INT. And Army used a lot of back ups as the game got out of control. Tyler Phommachanh going to have to show much more if he is going to compete for the starter's job.

Reaction Score
In that game, Puma was 11-26 with an INT. And Army used a lot of back ups as the game got out of control. Tyler Phommachanh going to have to show much more if he is going to compete for the starter's job.

and TR will need to show more than he did in the Iowa game last year to win the job.

I honestly don't care who wins, but the narrative that PUMA has a weak arm is nonsense. Just another Boneyard myth.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is a false Boneyard myth, he has plenty of arm strength, stronger than Shirreffs and he can throw very well on the run.

I guess you need proof so here it is. Check out the 25 yard close line on the run thrown right on the money at the 1:00.40 mark of this replay of the army game. One of several drops on the day.

Thanks for the comedy relief.

He was a bright spot on a dismal season. Pump the brakes Andretti.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
These clips from practice really are a Rorschach test. For every positive inference there is a negative one.

Positive: Nice touch, Nice deep ball in stride, WR getting open.
Negative: A lot of air under that wobbler, where is the secondary, was that a live read or a set pitch and catch drill?

I need a couple good games in a row against decent opponents. They don't even need to necessarily be wins. It's just been so hopeless for a long time and you can pull similar clips/chatter from every season since PP was coach.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
These clips from practice really are a Rorschach test. For every positive inference there is a negative one.

Negative: A lot of air under that wobbler, where is the secondary, was that a live read or a set pitch and catch drill?

I need a couple good games in a row against decent opponents. They don't even need to necessarily be wins. It's just been so hopeless for a long time and you can pull similar clips/chatter from every season since PP was coach.

The ball flutter and the lack of either speed or effort by DB's to run him down was the "negative" which caught my eyes.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I would love to watch a full practice with 100 people on this board and laugh at the stream of conscience that floats through at any given moment. Every program, even Alabama, has the same problem with practice, for every play there is a winner and a loser and both are on your team.

That clip looked like the second team offense if I had to guess.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
People say that like Charlton is going to be making it in a closet somewhere and then suddenly is going to jump out and tell Mora his decision. There’s not a doubt in my mind that they are going to discuss pros and cons of each player and come to a decision.
Undoubtedly decision by consensus. The only question will be whether it’s really close and difficult or whether someone just takes the job cleanly.

As for people saying none of these guys have proven it, well Joe Burrow hadn’t when he transferred to LSU and Kyler Murray hadn’t when he transferred. Jalen Hurts wasn’t bad at Bama, but got beat out. In this era, Brady might have transferred from Michigan. We’ve got more guys who might be good than I can recall. I’m hopeful.

Reaction Score

Yup. I watched that throw and my first thought was “I recognize our secondary play.”

Reaction Score
Undoubtedly decision by consensus. The only question will be whether it’s really close and difficult or whether someone just takes the job cleanly.

As for people saying none of these guys have proven it, well Joe Burrow hadn’t when he transferred to LSU and Kyler Murray hadn’t when he transferred. Jalen Hurts wasn’t bad at Bama, but got beat out. In this era, Brady might have transferred from Michigan. We’ve got more guys who might be good than I can recall. I’m hopeful.

You say that like “he hasn’t proven it” and “he can’t do that” are the same thing. They’re not even close.

Reaction Score
That’s the Spanos specialty defense
The other thing I noticed was they were in shorts and weren’t tackling. #10 likely grabs him in a real game situation. wasnt great coverage, but he doesn’t take it to 5he house.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You say that like “he hasn’t proven it” and “he can’t do that” are the same thing. They’re not even close.
Some here are acting like it's the same. I realize it is very different, so that gives me hope and optimism. It seems unlikely to me that all these guys will fail.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom