Fall Camp - The QB Battle | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Fall Camp - The QB Battle

Reaction Score
It’s actually the utter lack of talent in the secondary. I don’t know how that is overcome this season.

Get a DC that knows how to scheme and actually does pre-snap movement would be one way

Reaction Score
It’s actually the utter lack of talent in the secondary. I don’t know how that is overcome this season.

Pass rush. One of the many reasons I am so down on Spanos is that he never figured out how to get pressure on a QB. If you don't have an elite pass rusher you do a couple of things -which Spanos never did.

First, you move the defensive line pre-snap to create angles and overloads for your defensive linemen to get pressure. It's been noted on many posts that Spanos DL came out of the huddle took their positions and imitated statues. This allowed opposing QBs to set the appropriate protection before starting a play.

Second, you blitz. You send LBs or DBs from places that are not protected by the offense, disrupting or sacking the QB. Spanos blitzes were easily picked up by the offense. They almost never got home.

Will Spanos move the D line pre-snap? Can he design a blitz that results in pressure? If he can't our DBs are in for a loooong year.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Pass rush. One of the many reasons I am so down on Spanos is that he never figured out how to get pressure on a QB. If you don't have an elite pass rusher you do a couple of things -which Spanos never did.

First, you move the defensive line pre-snap to create angles and overloads for your defensive linemen to get pressure. It's been noted on many posts that Spanos DL came out of the huddle took their positions and imitated statues. This allowed opposing QBs to set the appropriate protection before starting a play.

Second, you blitz. You send LBs or DBs from places that are not protected by the offense, disrupting or sacking the QB. Spanos blitzes were easily picked up by the offense. They almost never got home.

Will Spanos move the D line pre-snap? Can he design a blitz that results in pressure? If he can't our DBs are in for a loooong year.
While I don't disagree on pre-snap movement and blitzing - you can only do something with what you have. The flip of blitzing is coverage issues with a secondary that wasn't very good at covering receivers. The pre-snap stuff is window dressing and who knows what last year's team was schemed to do right off (see FHCRE). So, let's see what Mora and Spanos come up with based on player ability and football iq. This group is older and more experienced than last year, so they should be able to add wrinkles.

Reaction Score

Coach Mora will have a big part of the defensive scheming. He has coached a TON of pro bowl players and he knows how to coach.

Reaction Score
In the radio interview last week I believe Mora mentioned that he attends the offensive meetings that include the offensive players but only attends the defensive coaches meetings. I'm not sure what to read into that but it sounded like he has complete faith in Spanos.

Reaction Score
In the radio interview last week I believe Mora mentioned that he attends the offensive meetings that include the offensive players but only attends the defensive coaches meetings. I'm not sure what to read into that but it sounded like he has complete faith in Spanos.

Maybe he doesn't want to yell at the defensive coaches in front of the players.

Reaction Score
Get a DC that knows how to scheme and actually does pre-snap movement would be one way

Oh so you are judging his entire capacity and capability as a defensive coach on one flip comment that was made while he was the interim HC.

That’s not ridiculous or anything. Typical Boneyard.

Reaction Score

I don’t know. He’s had a pretty impressive record up until he coached here under Edsall. Plus he had to get through the dumpster fire that was not playing football for two years and then his boss resigning two games in.

I’m cutting him some slack.

Reaction Score
Can’t really hold the qb responsible when the running back puts it on the ground. But sheesh the running back can’t put it on the ground in the red zone!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Looks like Puma is the starter

/s

Sarcasm fully noted. However, between the video clip on tweeter about the QB's and then reading the Courant article with quotes, it appears Tyler Phommachanh is hitting his first wall of camp. In the category of way overreading too much in to a coach's comment when HCJM said he has to remember PSQBTP (Potential Starting Quarterback Tyler Phommachanh) is still rehabbing makes me think they may start reducing Tyler Phommachanh's load. Also, Mora said he needed to remind Tyler Phommachanh how to pace himself in practice.

My less than one week of practice in, zero first-hand knowledge and reading too much between the lines suggests Tyler Phommachanh may be getting slotted behind Roberson and Turner.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
With so little information...it really is silly to draw any conclusions...but...what the hell. Sadly...it feels like Roberson hasn't seized the position. It may still happen, but I really thought he would be the front runner by now.

Am I the only one who thinks Turner has a real chance? I think they would prefer Roberson as the clear cut leader...but lots of clips of Turner delivering. I have no problem with a true freshman if he is the best guy.

Who knows....I just hope it's a tough decision for good reasons, not for bad reasons.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
With so little information...it really is silly to draw any conclusions...but...what the hell. Sadly...it feels like Roberson hasn't seized the position. It may still happen, but I really thought he would be the front runner by now.

Am I the only one who thinks Turner has a real chance? I think they would prefer Roberson as the clear cut leader...but lots of clips of Turner delivering. I have no problem with a true freshman if he is the best guy.

Who knows....I just hope it's a tough decision for good reasons, not for bad reasons.
I know you are speculating and that's all any of us can do. However, all we've really heard from Mora about the QB position is about Puma. So it's not like he has mentioned any other QBs and their playing with certain teams, etc on a regular basis. I still believe Roberson is the favorite, but I do think Zion is pushing him harder than maybe the coaches expected.

That's my completely speculative opinion.

Reaction Score
Today from This is UConn Country:

“Ta’Quan Roberson ran with the 1’s for the 2nd consecutive time the media has seen camp. He made a beautiful throw in the red zone in 1:1’s, dropping the ball in the bucket for Keelan Marion, who beat Chris Shearin on the rep.

Roberson is clearly someone that commands attention, as he is the one breaking down huddles with the offensive unit and demanding more, when more is needed. Did have to step away for a bit in the middle of practice, but from a rep perspective today, it was Roberson (1), Zion Turner (2), Tyler Phommachanh (3).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Today from This is UConn Country:

“Ta’Quan Roberson ran with the 1’s for the 2nd consecutive time the media has seen camp. He made a beautiful throw in the red zone in 1:1’s, dropping the ball in the bucket for Keelan Marion, who beat Chris Shearin on the rep.

Roberson is clearly someone that commands attention, as he is the one breaking down huddles with the offensive unit and demanding more, when more is needed. Did have to step away for a bit in the middle of practice, but from a rep perspective today, it was Roberson (1), Zion Turner (2), Tyler Phommachanh (3).

Definitely sounds like they are pumping the breaks with Tyler Phommachanh. From that article this doesn't sound like a QB the staff is pushing their hardest each day. Seems like they like what he can do when healthy but fatigue is always huge on smaller framed players.

“I talked to Tyler about this today,” Mora said. “That first practice, he looked really strong. In the subsequent practices, he didn’t look as strong. He came out here the first day, he wasn’t fatigued at all; he was able to plant, throw, rotate his hips and get his body into it. The next couple days, I think a little fatigue set in, so he wasn’t quite as accurate and there wasn’t as much force on his throws.”

“Without looking at the tape, today I sensed he was starting to build that back,” he continued. “I told him that he needs to find that blend of patience and pushing yourself and we have to realize that you are still rehabbing. I’m not at all discouraged, I just want to make sure that we make the right decisions with him going forward so he can make the progress and not have a setback.”

Reaction Score
Definitely sounds like they are pumping the breaks with Tyler Phommachanh. From that article this doesn't sound like a QB the staff is pushing their hardest each day. Seems like they like what he can do when healthy but fatigue is always huge on smaller framed players.

“I talked to Tyler about this today,” Mora said. “That first practice, he looked really strong. In the subsequent practices, he didn’t look as strong. He came out here the first day, he wasn’t fatigued at all; he was able to plant, throw, rotate his hips and get his body into it. The next couple days, I think a little fatigue set in, so he wasn’t quite as accurate and there wasn’t as much force on his throws.”

“Without looking at the tape, today I sensed he was starting to build that back,” he continued. “I told him that he needs to find that blend of patience and pushing yourself and we have to realize that you are still rehabbing. I’m not at all discouraged, I just want to make sure that we make the right decisions with him going forward so he can make the progress and not have a setback.”
Damn, those RBs must be wicked fatigued with their lack of being tall.

Reaction Score
Well, this is all good fun, especially since we have nothing better to do other than go in the water or deal with the inbox and upcoming milestones. Guessing that Tyler Phommachanh has not thrown a whole lot in the off season and so it will take him a bit of time to get sharp and maybe let the soreness subside. But he will get his chances. It is a long season.

Good to hear that Zion is looking sharp already. It will be interesting to see him taking his first snaps in a real game whenever that happens.

The one prediction I will make is that TR will sharpen up by game week when the imminence of execution sharpens the mind.

I also think that the pronouncements of Cale MIllen being buried are a bit premature. But we shall see. Tyler Phommachanh was buried at one point last year, but did not stay buried. When he got a chance he showed that he could play a lot better than he apparently practiced. And if the OL turns out better at pass protection than expected, Millen, at 6-4, could be a very valuable guy to have around.

Reaction Score
Mora has said all the QBs will get to line up with the first team. I believe him.

My guess is that he will name a stater sometime after the 20th of this month. That gives him a week to install a game plan. It also gives the QBs plenty of time for guys to have hot streaks and bad days. How fast guys absorb stuff in the meeting room and translate it to the field will be very important. So at this point, what we don't see will be as important as what we do see.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Mora has said all the QBs will get to line up with the first team. I believe him.

My guess is that he will name a stater sometime after the 20th of this month. That gives him a week to install a game plan. It also gives the QBs plenty of time for guys to have hot streaks and bad days. How fast guys absorb stuff in the meeting room and translate it to the field will be very important. So at this point, what we don't see will be as important as what we do see.
He may not name the starter until the 20th, but I sure hope someone is getting starter reps much earlier. This offense needs reps as one unit....that won't happen if 5 guys are rotating in with the 1s.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom