Fall Camp - The QB Battle | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Fall Camp - The QB Battle

Reaction Score
It’s such a wonderful feeling to have what apparently seems to be three qualified quarterbacks battling for the starting position. After a decade of uncertainty with this program it seems like we are headed in the right direction.

Reaction Score
It’s such a wonderful feeling to have what apparently seems to be three qualified quarterbacks battling for the starting position. After a decade of uncertainty with this program it seems like we are headed in the right direction.
And a qualified staff that will focus on putting players in situations where they can succeed and look to win.

Reaction Score
The only reason Tyler is with the 2’s is because he was here during the spring. Don’t look too much in to it

Reaction Score
The only reason Tyler is with the 2’s is because he was here during the spring. Don’t look too much in to it

LOL, more likely his recovering from injury all spring is the only reason he is with the 2's. Tyler Phommachanh is the real deal and TR will need to perform at a high level to beat him out. Based on the reports from day 1 it sounds like we have three talented QB's fighting for the job. Amen to that.

Reaction Score
LOL, more likely his recovering from injury all spring is the only reason he is with the 2's. Tyler Phommachanh is the real deal and TR will need to perform at a high level to beat him out. Based on the reports from day 1 it sounds like we have three talented QB's fighting for the job. Amen to that.
Lol yeah him and that 48% comp % along with the 30 QBR is the real deal... we get it he’s a Connecticut kid that everyone wants to think is the guy but I’m actuality he’s not even close to being the guy. Only time he will see the field again at UConn is at WR

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Lol yeah him and that 48% comp % along with the 30 QBR is the real deal... we get it he’s a Connecticut kid that everyone wants to think is the guy but I’m actuality he’s not even close to being the guy. Only time he will see the field again at UConn is at WR
People aren’t going to like this, but it’s the truth. We have to expect more from our guy if we want to win more than 3 games ever again.

Reaction Score
People aren’t going to like this, but it’s the truth. We have to expect more from our guy if we want to win more than 3 games ever again.
He was a true freshman with 3 games under his belt with an O-line that couldn't protect a $ bill. If he isn't better than the other QB's on the roster, Mora won't start him, but geez, the people on this board drive me crazy.

Reaction Score
Im not sure he won’t be the starter at some point but the 48% completion and poor qb rating absolutely worries me. I’ve always said that to win the quarterback needs to be able pass first. Running is the second option either in designed plays or when a play totally breaks down. If a guy runs first he won’t take you too far.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He was a true freshman with 3 games under his belt with an O-line that couldn't protect a $ bill. If he isn't better than the other QB's on the roster, Mora won't start him, but geez, the people on this board drive me crazy.
This isn’t controversial, the point of the post is he didn’t play well based on the stats, and guys who post stats like that usually aren’t long term starters for winning teams. Get off your high horse.

Reaction Score

I agree, some people don't have the mental capacity to grade on a curve.

Last year I saw a true freshman, 3 months removed from high school (I honestly couldn't care less that he is from CT) inject life into a lifeless football program, but hey some people only know stats. I saw command of the huddle, I saw quick and sound decision making. I saw a good arm and electric speed when apparently I should have just been reading the box score in the newspaper.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This isn’t controversial, the point of the post is he didn’t play well based on the stats, and guys who post stats like that usually aren’t long term starters for winning teams. Get off your high horse.
The reality is he's going to be a player for us. Whether he wins the QB battle or not, he's going to play because he's a player. He has that extra gear and quick step.

He's not a guy that's going to win you 8 games because he doesn't have the arm strength. But he could be the starter on a .500 squad.

Reaction Score

Good freaking lord, so you are predicting the rest of his college career based on the stats from the first three games of his freshman year quarterbacking a lousy team with an interim coach and offensive coaching so bad that they flew in a guy off the street to coach the offense up for a couple weeks.

I hope people treated you better at the start of your chosen career.

I think I will instead rely on the observations of Jim Mora who stated yesterday that he now understands why everyone was so excited by the young QB.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nothing against, Tyler Phommachanh. I appreciate that he came in under difficult circumstances, and he did provide a spark. The problem is that he's 5'10 and 187lbs with a weak arm. When he was throwing floaters 15 yards down the field, it looked like he was really trying to sling it. I'm pulling for him and all the quarterbacks, but it would be surprising to me if he beat the other guys out.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I feel compelled to say this again...if edsall was still here, I would be concerned on who gets the start. Until Mora proves otherwise...I will trust he will make the right call. It really is Roberson's job to lose.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Good freaking lord, so you are predicting the rest of his college career based on the stats from the first three games of his freshman year quarterbacking a lousy team with an interim coach and offensive coaching so bad that they flew in a guy off the street to coach the offense up for a couple weeks.

I hope people treated you better at the start of your chosen career.

I think I will instead rely on the observations of Jim Mora who stated yesterday that he now understands why everyone was so excited by the young QB.
These kinds of posts are so funny cause you’ll only get reactions like this when you talk about a QB. If I suggested our RT from last year wasn’t good, nobody would blink an eye, but maybe suggest the qb who has obvious physical limitations with his stature(current and potential injuries) and arm strength might not be the QB of the future and people start pissing themselves. You can even provide stats to back up your claim, and that isn’t good enough either. Plus let’s be honest, if Tyler Phommachanh was from North Dakota, nobody would care.

Buddy I’d like us to actually be competitive some day. Mora didn’t just bring in a bandaid qb to hold us over until Tyler Phommachanh recovers, he brought in a former 4 star outa Penn St, because he knew nobody in the QB room was good enough. If Tyler Phommachanh beats out the players he brought in this off season, it’d be a major upset, and tbh would probably mean he’s so much better than Mora expected. Don’t let coach speak to the media confuse you either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom