Ezi Magbegor and Assorted Topic Drifts | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Ezi Magbegor and Assorted Topic Drifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
From the articles published in the local Canberra paper, her team is dreading the fact that Ezi is leaving. I’m sure that concern extends to fans of Australian WBB as well.

The Commonwealth games are a really big deal in Australia. Ezi is the youngest member of the Opals team, which is favored to win gold. Out of courtesy for her teammates, she may wish to delay her announcement until after the games.

Not sure what UConn’s focus over the next three weeks has to do with this. Considering that the NCAA tournament will be over before the Commonwealth games start, for all we know, Geno might just get on a plane and head Down Under to watch Ezi and the Opals.
Olddude- she’s not renouncing her citizenship, she would be opting to play “overseas and improve her game”, similar to Kia did by coming to the USA. She will still be Part of the national teams. That’s why I view it as “meh”...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Olddude- she’s not renouncing her citizenship, she would be opting to play “overseas and improve her game”, similar to Kia did by coming to the USA. She will still be Part of the national teams. That’s why I view it as “meh”...
OK, if I were to accept that part of your argument, why is there any reason for Ezi to publicly declare where she plans to attend college until she can officially sign a NLI, which can’t happen until April 11 at the earliest?

Reaction Score
I know it's a long shot (is it even possible?) for UCLA to be in the same quarter bracket, end up in Albany, and have UConn beat the tar out of them. Would send a nice signal....

But even if not, we have to root for UCLA to exit the tournament early and emphatically.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
OK, if I were to accept that part of your argument, why is there any reason for Ezi to publicly declare where she plans to attend college until she can officially sign a NLI, which can’t happen until April 11 at the earliest?
My initial “huh?” in your 1st post was what I viewed your perspective saying it would “distract” the Opals and the concerns of Aussie basketball if she announced before the tournament. I disagree with that premise as I don’t think it would. I do absolutely agree that they are a very big sports country and WBB is big there and many people probably know who and what Ezi represents and since she has let it be known she is seriously contemplating going to school in the US, in as much her former team has signed replacement players, so this announcement is part of the process. She of course, could and probably will announce when she has made her decision before during or after the signing period and/or the tournament. The tournament is not of major consequence in my thinking is my point and was surprise or am surprised it is in your thinking.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My initial “huh?” in your 1st post was what I viewed your perspective saying it would “distract” the Opals and the concerns of Aussie basketball if she announced before the tournament. I disagree with that premise as I don’t think it would. I do absolutely agree that they are a very big sports country and WBB is big there and many people probably know who and what Ezi represents and since she has let it be known she is seriously contemplating going to school in the US, in as much her former team has signed replacement players, so this announcement is part of the process. She of course, could and probably will announce when she has made her decision before during or after the signing period and/or the tournament. The tournament is not of major consequence in my thinking is my point and was surprise or am surprised it is in your thinking.
Your points are well taken, but where I disagree with you is that I believe Ezi already knows where she's going to college. Her visits were two weeks ago, she has all the information she could possibly require from UCLA & UConn and she's had ample time to discuss her decision with her parents and any other advisors she may have. I suspect that she is waiting for a time of her choosing to make her announcement. I believe that announcement will coincide with the US signing period, after the Commonwealth Games. While Ezi is from Australia, why would you think that her announcement will be any different than MW, CW or ONO, who all waited to announce until the signing period, in front of the requisite media press conference?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I know it's a long shot (is it even possible?) for UCLA to be in the same quarter bracket, end up in Albany, and have UConn beat the tar out of them. Would send a nice signal....

But even if not, we have to root for UCLA to exit the tournament early and emphatically.
Fortunately she already could have the recording of UConn beating the pants off of UCLA earlier this year.

Reaction Score
If so, he has to keep his mouth shut until she either signs a letter of intent or attends a class for which she is registered. Technically, even LOI signers are considered recruits until they attend their first class. I am a friend of Swin Cash's ex-stepfather. When she was coming to UConn to begin her freshman year, her then stepfather contacted me about he & Swin's mom staying with us for a couple of days when they brought her to campus; advised by the Compliance Office in the Athletic Department that such would be a recruiting violation (improper benefits to a prospective student-athleteand/or their famiy) until she actually attended her 1st class.
As soon as Uconn receives the signed LOI. Geno can comment on that player.

Reaction Score
As soon as Uconn receives the signed LOI. Geno can comment on that player.

...but first which one should he open up first?

Yellowtail.png

Reaction Score
Has this young lady given a verbal commitment to UConn? Has she signed a letter of intent to UConn? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
don't like this style wine myself (not that I could afford it anyway!), but an Ezi signing deserves a lot better than Yellowtail swill. It deserves nothing but the best:

View attachment 29302
Obviously, you have more expensive taste than mbr33. For the cost of 1 bottle of Penfolds Grange, you could buy 4-5 cases of Yellow Tail.

Reaction Score
Can see the headline now “Magbegor leads the way for an easy 3z UCONN win”!

Reaction Score
Hmmm...so, if she lands here, perhaps we can take a page from the '82 Dolphins, and call next year's front line, the "Killer Z's"?
...from down under”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

To make us angry dogs happy?

6-14-2015-2-18-10-PM.png

Reaction Score
So does UConn, in Stevens, Camara, and Nelson-Ododa. Besides having Horvat, UCLA is a much closer flight, a better climate, a better school, and a completely different style of campus than UConn. If those factors mean something to Magbegor it will be very tough to get her away from Westwood.
As has been mentioned, she wants to play in the WNBA and who is more likely to prepare her for that, Geno and his staff or the UCLA staff? Who doesn't agree that Geno does a better job of making his players better than does anyone in the women's game? He's so demanding and doesn't accept anything but the best for his players, pushing them to levels that they likely never thought they could attain. Magbegor sounds like she needs UConn and Geno!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Has this young lady given a verbal commitment to UConn? Has she signed a letter of intent to UConn? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Leave a wake up message at the desk! We're just playing in down time, which is ending at 5 tonight. @oldude is probably right about it will be during the spring signing period, unless there is a leak down under. Pro coach's lamenting and spills the beans at the local pub kind of stuff.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As has been mentioned, she wants to play in the WNBA and who is more likely to prepare her for that, Geno and his staff or the UCLA staff? Who doesn't agree that Geno does a better job of making his players better than does anyone in the women's game? He's so demanding and doesn't accept anything but the best for his players, pushing them to levels that they likely never thought they could attain. Magbegor sounds like she needs UConn and Geno!
How many UCLA alums were in the WNBA last season?

Reaction Score
So does UConn, in Stevens, Camara, and Nelson-Ododa. Besides having Horvat, UCLA is a much closer flight, a better climate, a better school, and a completely different style of campus than UConn. If those factors mean something to Magbegor it will be very tough to get her away from Westwood.
The fact that Stevens, CAmara and Nelson-Odada are in front of her shouldn't really be a big deal for her if you consider that Stevens will only have one season and Camara and Nelson-Odada are unproven, as of now. The biggest premise is that she seems to want to get to the big stage, the WNBA, and who is likely to get her prepared better for that stage? If being the best she can be is the most important thing for her, there is only one choice. the Huskies! Just saying!

Reaction Score
How many UCLA alums were in the WNBA last season?
Actually, I have no idea. I'd love to know how many players there are in the WNBA from each respective university, at this time. How many Baylor, Notre Dame, UCLA, Tennessee, UConn or any other college team is presently on WNBA rosters? I'm inclined to think it's UConn followed by Tennessee at the top of the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom