Ezi Magbegor and Assorted Topic Drifts | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Ezi Magbegor and Assorted Topic Drifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Ezi comes to UConn how many years of eligibility would she have? In other words how long would she be in Storrs?

Reaction Score
No doubt Australia has had its share of outstanding players.
If Ezi commits to UCONN the I like the prospect of more young players considering UCONN as a finishing school of sorts for their talent.
More than opening a pipeline it would be like the historical meeting of the Union Pacific and Central Pacific Railroads!
Hey, slow down. I think I am getting ahead of myself.
Maybe you are a bit ahead. Too many issues with recruiting this far away, the most important being Geno's and CD's focus on intangibles. Difficult to make visits and fully evaluate when recruit is 20+ hour trip away. My analogy is that just because we got a player or two from Texas doesn't mean Geno is now going to focus there and the south. Too many good players available in geographies where the UConn system can work its magic.

Reaction Score
Her decision is simple to make. How much does she value basketball. Does she want to take advantage of THE best opportunity to improve and grow her game (UCONN) and herself OR, have fun with the US college experience and play some basketball (UCLA)? If it is the latter than she doesn’t belong at UCONN anyway.
Very simple post and right on target. I just don't see how or why she would come to the US for the college experience.
And yes, if that's her choice she's just not cut out to be a U Conn women's bb team member, in that she doesn't want to maximize her skill set, which already seems pretty well developed.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Very simple post and right on target. I just don't see how or why she would come to the US for the college experience.
And yes, if that's her choice she's just not cut out to be a U Conn women's bb team member, in that she doesn't want to maximize her skill set, which already seems pretty well developed.
Bronx23
I'm more than 90 percent sure she is coming to Storrs.

Reaction Score
it's certainly possible that when Ezi said something about her waiting to hear from one US school (or something to that effect) she may very well have been referring to UCLA.....at some later point others that had her ear may have said that if you are serious about going to the US you'd be making a big mistake not to at least consider UConn......she's now done her due diligence......the balls in her court.
While anything in life is possible I just don't see how UCLA is the team she was hoping would offer her a scholarship. Why there? What would be the draw basketball wise?
It's very possible I am wrong about this but I think the decisions already made by her, and she's waiting for the right time to announce it.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
While anything in life is possible I just don't see how UCLA is the team she was hoping would offer her a scholarship. Why there? What would be the draw basketball wise?
It's very possible I am wrong about this but I think the decisions already made by her, and she's waiting for the right time to announce it.
Bronx23
And if the decision has already been made, probably Geno knows and he's keeping his mouth shut.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bronx23
And if the decision has already been made, probably Geno knows and he's keeping his mouth shut.
As I suggested earlier in this thread, I believe Ezi will not make her decision public until after the end of the Commonwealth Games on April 15. Ezi is the youngest member of the Australian WBB team, the Opals, which is the favorite to win the gold medal. The games are being held in Australia. I'm sure that someone, perhaps Geno, has advised Ezi to keep the decision to herself, so as not to distract from her team's effort to pursue the gold medal at the games.

In addition, National signing day does not begin until April 11, so Ezi can wind up her effort with the Opals, hopefully with a gold medal around her neck, then hold a press conference, flanked by mom & dad, when she announces her decision to attend UConn. That's the scenario I'm hoping for with fingers crossed.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Bronx23
I agree. As I said before, the only plus I see playing for Cori Close is the weather, and the campus is nice as well. If she wants to play for a coach that makes her demonstrably better, on a team that wins championships, and in a system where forwards are featured and fed regularly, the choice is simple.

Reaction Score

If so, he has to keep his mouth shut until she either signs a letter of intent or attends a class for which she is registered. Technically, even LOI signers are considered recruits until they attend their first class. I am a friend of Swin Cash's ex-stepfather. When she was coming to UConn to begin her freshman year, her then stepfather contacted me about he & Swin's mom staying with us for a couple of days when they brought her to campus; advised by the Compliance Office in the Athletic Department that such would be a recruiting violation (improper benefits to a prospective student-athleteand/or their famiy) until she actually attended her 1st class.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As I suggested earlier in this thread, I believe Ezi will not make her decision public until after the end of the Commonwealth Games on April 15. Ezi is the youngest member of the Australian WBB team, the Opals, which is the favorite to win the gold medal. The games are being held in Australia. I'm sure that someone, perhaps Geno, has advised Ezi to keep the decision to herself, so as not to distract from her team's effort to pursue the gold medal at the games.

In addition, National signing day does not begin until April 11, so Ezi can wind up her effort with the Opals, hopefully with a gold medal around her neck, then hold a press conference, flanked by mom & dad, when she announces her decision to attend UConn. That's the scenario I'm hoping for with fingers crossed.

I would be really surprised if Ezi waits until April to make/announce her decision. I was told last week that news would be coming within days. I expected we would have heard by now. The tougher decision as far home is concerned has been made. I think she can decide on her preferred school and prepare for the commonwealth games at the same time. This isn't a world championship.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
... I'm sure that someone, perhaps Geno, has advised Ezi to keep the decision to herself, so as not to distract from her team's effort to pursue the gold medal at the games...
I think you are projecting far too much on this. It’s Australia, not East Coast of America. How would her announcing have any distraction down in Australia? The Aussie media is not going to descend and smother her on this decision. While Geno has cache, let’s not over play it. It comes when is comes. We still have our own focus over the Next month anyway.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would be really surprised if Ezi waits until April to make/announce her decision. I was told last week that news would be coming within days. I expected we would have heard by now. The tougher decision as far home is concerned has been made. I think she can decide on her preferred school and prepare for the commonwealth games at the same time. This isn't a world championship.
You may well be correct. I certainly don’t know Ezi or her family, but from a PR standpoint, assuming Australia wins the gold and UConn wins their 12th National championship, if Ezi then held a press conference in mid-April to make her announcement that she was attending UConn, it would be the recruiting announcement to end all recruiting announcements.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You may well be correct. I certainly don’t know Ezi or her family, but from a PR standpoint, assuming Australia wins the gold and UConn wins their 12th National championship, if Ezi then held a press conference in mid-April to make her announcement that she was attending UConn, it would be the recruiting announcement to end all recruiting announcements.

I don't know. Ezi doesn't strike me as the press conference type. I can not think of a recruit who has been more quiet about her recruitment. She's not on social media. This entire process has been quiet and she 's driving that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think you are projecting far too much on this. It’s Australia, not East Coast of America. How would her announcing have any distraction down in Australia? The Aussie media is not going to descend and smother her on this decision. While Geno has cache, let’s not over play it. It comes when is comes. We still have our own focus over the Next month anyway.
From the articles published in the local Canberra paper, her team is dreading the fact that Ezi is leaving. I’m sure that concern extends to fans of Australian WBB as well.

The Commonwealth games are a really big deal in Australia. Ezi is the youngest member of the Opals team, which is favored to win gold. Out of courtesy for her teammates, she may wish to delay her announcement until after the games.

Not sure what UConn’s focus over the next three weeks has to do with this. Considering that the NCAA tournament will be over before the Commonwealth games start, for all we know, Geno might just get on a plane and head Down Under to watch Ezi and the Opals.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In terms of eligibility, Ezi will have the full 4 years. However, she will be eligible for the WNBA based on her age after 3 years of college. Who knows what she would decide?! In addition, coming from so far, homesickness may be more likely than for an American player. Despite those concerns, I still want her and think she's well worth them. She's really, really, really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom