Ezi Magbegor and Assorted Topic Drifts | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Ezi Magbegor and Assorted Topic Drifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I saw that inferred in another thread. So that rule is not age or school status dependent?
There is no specific age requirement to receive an athletic scholarship. However, there are academic requirements relative to test scores, program of study, grades and graduation from HS, which we can presume that Ezi has met. In addition, Ezi, while playing professional basketball, does not receive a salary, which preserves her ability to accept an athletic scholarship from a college in the US.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So, she can verbal at any time--and may have done so already--but her coach can't comment until at least April 11.
Correct. As I suggested in a previous post, I suspect that we will hear nothing until after the end of the Commonwealth games in Australia on April 15, when Ezi and her Opal teammates go after the gold medal in WBB.

Reaction Score
No, you said the total time was 27 hours from Storrs and then equated it to 14+15 min=14h15 and 12h45 min difference of which it is not. Let's agree on 14 hour flight. Your drive from Westwood to LAX is not 15 min on the 405. Now your drive from Storrs to Boston is 90 minutes plus 6:30 for flight plus 1 hour between arriving and departing in LAX is 22 hours vs. min of 14:30 so that is 8h30min max, not 12h45 min as you purveyed. That's my point so it isn't a quibble.
she would likely only be making this trip a few times in the 2 years coming to US. Not a major issue.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Correct. As I suggested in a previous post, I suspect that we will hear nothing until after the end of the Commonwealth games in Australia on April 15, when Ezi and her Opal teammates go after the gold medal in WBB.
Damn, that requires patience on the part of Boneyarders. This is going to be tough!! ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I thought this blurb from a Diana Taurasi story in Nan's links today is quite interesting and relevant

Girls Sports Month: A look back at Diana Taurasi in high school

JJ (Interviewer): What’s the craziest story you can remember from her recruitment?

LW (HS Coach) : When she went to sign her letter-of-intent it wasn’t a very happy day. Her mom didn’t want her to go to Connecticut. She thought she was gonna stay here and go to UCLA. I definitely remember that. But I always thought Connecticut was the best place

Listen up Ezi . :D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Want to do a little background reading about Ezi's last 3 years at school?

Now known as the Basketball Australia National Centre of Excellence (CoE), the Australian Institute of Sport basketball program has been the pinnacle of basketball development in Australia.

Aimed at identifying the best talented junior players in the country to develop into players for its national team’s players, the program has been a huge part of Australia’s international success at the Olympics and FIBA world championships.

The AIS offer only 12 scholarships each year which make reaching the AIS something which only a few achieve. Players generally reach the program after first achieving success in their respective state squads."

"The women’s program has seen the most change with scholarships now being awarded to junior age athletes, WNBL players and Jayco Australian Opals, giving the team a strong mix of leadership and exciting young talent.

The program thus far has been a factory for producing the best female basketball talent in Australia. Lauren Jackson, Penny Taylor, Erin Phillips and Belinda Snell are all players who have won World Championship gold and Olympic Silver with the Australian Opals basketball team (and had dominant WNBA careers) after honing their skills at the AIS in Canberra. The changes to the women’s program seem only likely to increase its rate of success."

How AIS basketball players are among world’s elite

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I go do a few errands and you all start acting like children, or foxes in a chicken coop! Bad. Bad. I have a serious recruiting rule question though. Ezi I seem to recall graduated Aussie High School last year. UConn is subject to all recruiting rules, but is there any signing period requirement the binds Ezi and UConn in these circumstances. Confess to duncedom on this aspect of international recruiting.
Duncedom ! I used to live there when I was much younger. A lot of people were there back then. Occasionally, I tend toward it now, but I have a wife who reminds me when I stray off course. :)

Reaction Score
The program thus far has been a factory for producing the best female basketball talent in Australia. Lauren Jackson, Penny Taylor, Erin Phillips and Belinda Snell are all players who have won World Championship gold and Olympic Silver with the Australian Opals basketball team (and had dominant WNBA careers) after honing their skills at the AIS in Canberra. The changes to the women’s program seem only likely to increase its rate of success."

How AIS basketball players are among world’s elite

If Ezi does come might it be the opening of a pipeline to the land down under?

No doubt Australia has had its share of outstanding players.
If Ezi commits to UCONN the I like the prospect of more young players considering UCONN as a finishing school of sorts for their talent.
More than opening a pipeline it would be like the historical meeting of the Union Pacific and Central Pacific Railroads!
Hey, slow down. I think I am getting ahead of myself.

Reaction Score
Careful Oldude,i think the last spike is golden and is on the campus at Stanford i believe. Sooo,if she went there to see said spike she might be re-recruited.Can't be too careful.:)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Careful Oldude,i think the last spike is golden and is on the campus at Stanford i believe. Sooo,if she went there to see said spike she might be re-recruited.Can't be too careful.:)
Considering that Leland Stanford was one of the individuals that built the Transcontinental Railroad, Stanford can have the Golden Spike. UConn will have to settle for Ezi. ;)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't really see any school getting a pipeline of Australian players. There are plenty here already and more on the way, and they are spread out at various different schools. Seems like almost every Pac 12 school has one or will next year. Stanford, UCLA, Oregon (X2), Washington St. (has 2, but 1 is a Sr.); Oregon St. and Washington both have one on the way for next year. I think Macbegor is a cut above most of them, I doubt most of those Aussies playing for Pac 12 schools are UConn quality players.

St. Mary's men's team definitely has an Australian pipeline and has for probably close to a decade.

Reaction Score
Kelly graves travelled to Australia straight after the Pac-12 tournament win.
Supposably recruiting 2 more for 2019/2020 adding to the 2 they already have.

Reaction Score

it's certainly possible that when Ezi said something about her waiting to hear from one US school (or something to that effect) she may very well have been referring to UCLA...............at some later point others that had her ear may have said that if you are serious about going to the US you'd be making a big mistake not to at least consider UConn................she's now done her due diligence................the balls in her court.

Reaction Score
it's certainly possible that when Ezi said something about her waiting to hear from one US school (or something to that effect) she may very well have been referring to UCLA.....at some later point others that had her ear may have said that if you are serious about going to the US you'd be making a big mistake not to at least consider UConn......she's now done her due diligence......the balls in her court.

Better hold up on the plans to open that pipeline to UCONN until we get the all-clear!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If we don't get her this video could increase your pain considerably. Not for the faint of heart.

Sorry for quoting my own post, but the "college I want to go to verbiage by Ezi starts at around the 5 minute mark of this video. Personally I think she's just talking generically about a process, not that at that time she hadm 1 picked and if she gets the offer that is it. But you be the judge @Charliebball .

Reaction Score
I thought this blurb from a Diana Taurasi story in Nan's links today is quite interesting and relevant

Girls Sports Month: A look back at Diana Taurasi in high school

JJ (Interviewer): What’s the craziest story you can remember from her recruitment?

LW (HS Coach) : When she went to sign her letter-of-intent it wasn’t a very happy day. Her mom didn’t want her to go to Connecticut. She thought she was gonna stay here and go to UCLA. I definitely remember that. But I always thought Connecticut was the best place

Listen up Ezi . :D
Requirement for all freshmen to watch on a daily basis,lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom