Ernest Jones resigns | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Ernest Jones resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You couldn't field a competitive team by openly admitted that you are promoting Islam in the huddle.

I don't think you could field a competitive team by solely recruiting aethiests and agnostics.

Couldn't do it with Buddhists, Wiccans or Jews.

The only category of religious beliefs and recruiting pool size is Christianity.

Not saying you should do it at a public university, but if you were to do it, that's the only combination that could be sustained.
I think you do it with athletes and you don't even care what their religion is. ND does not have 100% Christian athletes. Nor does BC. BYU does not have 100% Mormon. I think Liberty University might be 100% Southern Baptist but that is not a major school.

This whole idea that you need to promote God in the huddle is pretty stupid. My guess is that God, no matter how you define the deity, really doesn't care who wins or who loses in a game. People are way to sensitive about their religion being slighted or offended in so many different ways. I always thought that tolerance of others was part of the core of every religion.

To the coach, good luck. He appears to be a man of strong faith and belief and I am sure that will help him as he moves forward in his life.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
All this because of one slow news day in January and a non-story turning into a media storm on UConn Football. This is really too bad, and should have just been handled internally. I really hope that comment did not lead to this, and I wish Coach Jones the best of luck. We lost a passionate, promising coach on this staff.

Reaction Score
Lets bring Allah to the huddle and then see who is tolerant and PC.

Ridiculous.

What makes you think Allah isn't already there? You think we don't have muslim players on this roster? We don't have evangelical Christian players in the huddle? We don't have atheists in the huddle? Jews? They get along just fine, and they have been for as long as the sport as been played. Religious tolerance is established among people that live and work together daily.

A border was crossed here and has nothing to do with whatever religious beliefs a person adheres to.

The line crossed, is the difference between religious tolerance, and enforcement of the principle that government shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion. You got to know your culture. It's clear that Kevin Ollie does know his culture, and Ernest Jones did not know the culture of the northeast. Bob Diaco does know the culture of the northeast.

I'll tell you what, I wish Coach Jones the best in wherever he goes.

To think that this has nothing to do with the media storm that was created by his comments to Desmond Conner, and that reporter's choice to publish those comments, is foolish. The fact that he consciously chose to say what he did publicly to a reporter, is evidence enough, that he was either inexperienced in, or completely outside of his comfort realm in his chosen profession within the culture he found himself working in. No comment on the reporter's choice of what to do with the words.

Logic would dictate that the latter won out in his decision making regarding where and how he continues in his chosen profession.

Recruiting? We're still going to recruit, and football will be played.

But last thing..........since the way this situation ahs been handled publicly.....regarding the conflict between sociopolitical religious tolerance, and enforcement of the establishment clause......

I will have a difficult choice to be tolerant publicly to people making decisions regarding the actions of my state university, regarding scheduling of fall football games, that interfere with my right to grill non-kosher pork products and eat them in daylight hours.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Pushing all the cesspool/religion crap aside, it stinks he left but like others said, he hasn't really been here long enough to be irreplaceable. So my question is, what recruiting territory did he cover? Finding another RB coach isn't a problem, but finding someone who is a RB coach and fills the recruiting void he left might be? Maybe he covered a territory that overlapped with others. I just know that the 2015 class is important to be built by Diaco and Company.

Reaction Score
Pushing all the cesspool/religion crap aside, it stinks he left but like others said, he hasn't really been here long enough to be irreplaceable. So my question is, what recruiting territory did he cover? Finding another RB coach isn't a problem, but finding someone who is a RB coach and fills the recruiting void he left might be? Maybe he covered a territory that overlapped with others. I just know that the 2015 class is important to be built by Diaco and Company.

There is a post somewhere about territories the coaches covered. Now I only wish I remember where it was! Heres to hoping a replacement can be found in short order.

Reaction Score
Ridiculous.

What makes you think Allah isn't already there? You think we don't have muslim players on this roster? We don't have evangelical Christian players in the huddle? We don't have atheists in the huddle? Jews? They get along just fine, and they have been for as long as the sport as been played. Religious tolerance is established among people that live and work together daily.

A border was crossed here and has nothing to do with whatever religious beliefs a person adheres to.

The line crossed, is the difference between religious tolerance, and enforcement of the principle that government shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion. You got to know your culture. It's clear that Kevin Ollie does know his culture, and Ernest Jones did not know the culture of the northeast. Bob Diaco does know the culture of the northeast.

I'll tell you what, I wish Coach Jones the best in wherever he goes.

To think that this has nothing to do with the media storm that was created by his comments to Desmond Conner, and that reporter's choice to publish those comments, is foolish. The fact that he consciously chose to say what he did publicly to a reporter, is evidence enough, that he was either inexperienced in, or completely outside of his comfort realm in his chosen profession within the culture he found himself working in. No comment on the reporter's choice of what to do with the words.

Logic would dictate that the latter won out in his decision making regarding where and how he continues in his chosen profession.

Recruiting? We're still going to recruit, and football will be played.

But last thing.....since the way this situation ahs been handled publicly.....regarding the conflict between sociopolitical religious tolerance, and enforcement of the establishment clause.

I will have a difficult choice to be tolerant publicly to people making decisions regarding the actions of my state university, regarding scheduling of fall football games, that interfere with my right to grill non-kosher pork products and eat them in daylight hours.
While I'm not sure there's a large contingent of Jewish or Muslim players on our roster, we largely agree here. There's an enormous difference between respect (I prefer this term over "tolerance") of everyone's religious beliefs and forcing and espousing one's religious beliefs on others. I fully respect and defend Kevin Ollie's and Ernest Jones's religious beliefs and their right to have them, despite them not being my own. I do not defend Ernest Jones's proselytizing publicly in the media and to his team.

Reaction Score
There is a post somewhere about territories the coaches covered. Now I only wish I remember where it was! Heres to hoping a replacement can be found in short order.
I want to say he was in charge of Fairfield County?

Reaction Score
Could Care Less If He Said Allah, Moses, Jehovah Or Azura Mazda. YouHired A Coach Directly From A Catholic School. If Expressing Sentiments Like Jones Did WasGoing To Be A Problem It Should Have Been Hashed Out During The Interview Process. Or Warde Just Figured, If You Ain't Breaking Laws Or NCAA Rules Run The PrograM As You See Fit. The Real Issue Here Is The Backlash Over His Comments.

I'll trust Diaco until he gives me reason not to, so if he says it's coincidental I believe him. That said, many are forgetting Jones' full quote. He didn't just say "Jesus in the huddle" was who "HE" is. He said it's who "Diaco" is too.

If you're okay with Jones leaving because he can't separate his spirituality from his profession, you should be asking Diaco to submit his letter of resignation too.
Who has known him longer, who shares the same religious beliefs, and who was hired by whom?

You guys are really being naive here.

Reaction Score
So my question is, what recruiting territory did he cover? Finding another RB coach isn't a problem, but finding someone who is a RB coach and fills the recruiting void he left might be? Maybe he covered a territory that overlapped with others. I just know that the 2015 class is important to be built by Diaco and Company.

I want to say he was in charge of Fairfield County?

It was - plus other areas (Florida and GA)...

NHRJimFuller1:01pm via Twitter for iPhone
Ernest Jones was already opening lines of communication b/t #UConn & Fairfield County HS coaches so that is gap needing to be filled

Reaction Score
Can we please correct the thread title. Its Ernest T. Jones. Thank you.

Reaction Score
You understand that "we're going to make sure they understand that should be in the center of our huddle, that that's something that is important" isn't just a statement of his own spirituality, don't you?
You do understand that it can also be understood as a statement from his point of view and not neccessarily meaning that he is going to force feed everyone right!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It was - plus other areas (Florida and GA)...

NHRJimFuller1:01pm via Twitter for iPhone
Ernest Jones was already opening lines of communication b/t #UConn & Fairfield County HS coaches so that is gap needing to be filled

If I'm not mistaken, he was also partially responsible for NY. I have to go back to my "war room" notes that I posted when he was brought on board...

Reaction Score
You do understand that it can also be understood as a statement from his point of view and not neccessarily meaning that he is going to force feed everyone right!
Um, that's blatantly what he's stating there.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is as soon as Ernest said "" he was screwed b/c of all the idiot PC people int his state. the "educated" who want nothing to do with any religion but Christianity in particular.

This would not nearly be made as big a deal over if it was regarding Jews or Muslims. However, since " / Christianity" was referenced, all heck broike loose. Some W. Hartford PC nut who probably wants "Christ" out of Chtistmas as well. If it has to do with Christianity, they want it gone.

Another example of whats wrong with the people of this state.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bottom line is as soon as Ernest said "" he was screwed b/c of all the idiot PC people int his state. the "educated" who want nothing to do with any religion but Christianity in particular.

This would not nearly be made as big a deal over if it was regarding Jews or Muslims. However, since " / Christianity" was referenced, all heck broike loose. Some W. Hartford PC nut who probably wants "Christ" out of Chtistmas as well. If it has to do with Christianity, they want it gone.

Why do you hate America?

Reaction Score
He recruited Ron Johnson. I wonder how this affects the moral of the coaching staff?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Oh come on.

Reaction Score

Trolling troll is trolling.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To be honest, Mike, I thought we had finally reached the point where it had all blown over, and that the Spring Game was going to make everyone forget that the comment / reaction had ever happened. Maybe he felt more strongly about his quote and being able to deliver that message than what many (myself included) thought. Or maybe the state's reaction to it was not what he wanted out of a new job.

Either way....wow...
Not what Diaco says Dan, but that's my hunch as well. He may well feel like not being allowed to live his life in accordance with deeply held belief is big a cost for this job. Unfortunate because his core message, having young men live their lives according to a higher standard is a valid one. He just phrased it in a way that forced the university to respond once the public began to react negatively.

CL82

Reaction Score
A man with known Christian beliefs who has a strong desire to express them in the locker room and on the practice field shouldn't ever been hired at UConn.

Don't know how to respond to this Chin. I understand your point but it would be disappointing if expressing your faith is prohibited at the University of Connecticut. I think his wording was unfortunate but not his message.

CL82

Reaction Score
You understand that "we're going to make sure they understand that should be in the center of our huddle, that that's something that is important" isn't just a statement of his own spirituality, don't you?
Well I do, but I don't think he intended it to be.

Reaction Score
Really too bad. If it is because of the "Jesus in our huddle" stuff, I hope that he finds happiness somewhere else where he is more free to express himself. I don't blame UConn entirely-its everywhere in our country now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom