Ernest Jones resigns | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ernest Jones resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Its the politically correct thing to say, and we seem to have learned that the pc thing to say is the way to go at uconn. smh
This thread should go into the cesspool. Maybe someday guys like you and a few others will learn the difference between political correctness and just plain correctness. SH was correct, not politically correct. That said, he seems like a nice guy, and if his resignation is somehow related to how strongly the family feels about religion , he is doing what he needs to do and if has nothing to do with religion, I hope it is not an insurmountable issue c

Reaction Score
Is it? He was basically told that you can't discuss Jesus or being Christian in the media or in the locker room. You can see him dancing around the topic everytime he's interviewed...trying to qualify his statements and keep from making the same mistake. Jesus is always on the tip of the tongue for men like Ernest.

I know men like Ernest, Christian devotion is different in the South and Midwest. Asking a man like him to keep his faith bottled up is the ultimate slap in the face and everytime he hides his true thoughts he feels that he is disrespecting God. Want to know what his personal and family issues were? His convictions to his God. Christians in the South do not keep their religion to themselves. For men like Ernest God is a part of EVERYTHING. For him, everything he has is thanks to his God so for someone to tell him that he can't openly speak about God at work is inconceivable to him.

Culturally CT was not a fit for him. This never would have happened in the South. He needs to be in South or Midwest or at a religious private institution.
You nailed. I know people like him as well. Earnest Jones would have been an absolute asset recruiting a certain CT Gatorade Player of the year out of Middletown who is going to be a Sr. next year. It is not exactly my cup of tea, but the people like that I know come of as preaching and talking God without intending to do so.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Is it? He was basically told that you can't discuss Jesus or being Christian in the media or in the locker room. You can see him dancing around the topic everytime he's interviewed...trying to qualify his statements and keep from making the same mistake. Jesus is always on the tip of the tongue for men like Ernest.

I know men like Ernest, Christian devotion is different in the South and Midwest. Asking a man like him to keep his faith bottled up is the ultimate slap in the face and everytime he hides his true thoughts he feels that he is disrespecting God. Want to know what his personal and family issues were? His convictions to his God. Christians in the South do not keep their religion to themselves. For men like Ernest God is a part of EVERYTHING. For him, everything he has is thanks to his God so for someone to tell him that he can't openly speak about God at work is inconceivable to him.

Culturally CT was not a fit for him. This never would have happened in the South. He needs to be in South or Midwest or at a religious private institution.

Which shows the vetting process for his hire was flawed.

A man with known Christian beliefs who has a strong desire to express them in the locker room and on the practice field shouldn't ever been hired at UConn.

The residents of the state of Connecticut have made it perfectly clear through elections and legislation that they don't want religion anywhere on state land or in state-funded entities.

I guess better this happened now than in November in the middle of the season.

Reaction Score
This thread should go into the cesspool. Maybe someday guys like you and a few others will learn the difference between political correctness and just plain correctness. SH was correct, not politically correct. That said, he seems like a nice guy, and if his resignation is somehow related to how strongly the family feels about religion , he is doing what he needs to do and if has nothing to do with religion, I hope it is not an insurmountable issue c
Guys like me? Thank you for being so tolerant. Someone may have a different view point than how you interpret the situation and that makes me a "guy like you".

Reaction Score
How can you say he was expressing a personal view. Coaches aren't in the huddle.

So his religious views are not his personal views? He wanted the players to have a base in spirituality, whatever that may be for them. Funny how people who thrive on reading between the lines couldn't make that connection.

Reaction Score
So his religious views are not his personal views? He wanted the players to have a base in spirituality, whatever that may be for them. Funny how people who thrive on reading between the lines couldn't make that connection.

His initial quote was about Jesus, not spirituality.

Reaction Score
Still feeling that you're offended....hmm....maybe you could try lightening up, Francis?

You jumped into the defensive stance not me, I presented an option to yours, plain and simple, you took it as a personal attack and jumped so work it out however you want, based on your position here I know you will.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I know we are in a slow news period...and our nature is to look for the negative....but are people really getting this worked up over a running backs coach leaving? A coach who has never even coached a player at UConn yet?

This is not concerning in the least (despite Palatine's drama) and I am confident that BD will hire another coach just as qualified. I am looking forward to spring practice.

Reaction Score
Sorry to see him go, but it was his choice. If he was forced out, it would've been awhile ago. Hard to speculate if it was related or not. If he feels the backlash was too serious at our school, then I have no idea what he'd expect at a big-time University. I hope it was something personal and unrelated and that he finds success wherever he goes, whether or not I agree with his personal take on spirituality.

Reaction Score
His initial quote was about Jesus, not spirituality.

Yeah they were, because for him spirituality is based on his faith in Jesus, so what. If he replaced Jesus with spirituality he probably wouldn't have received so much grief for it, but I'm just speculating.

Reaction Score
Yeah they were, because for him spirituality is based on his faith in Jesus, so what. If he replaced Jesus with spirituality he probably wouldn't have received so much grief for it, but I'm just speculating.

Why do you think there would be less flack if he referenced general spirituality over a specific religion?

Reaction Score
Its the politically correct thing to say, and we seem to have learned that the pc thing to say is the way to go at uconn. smh

"This is 100% coincidental" is politically correct?

That's not politically correct spin, that would be a lie.

Reaction Score
I think this is related to the statement from Dez's interview and the reaction to it. A family matter doesn't require reflection to make the decision. Reflection suggests that he had to figure out if he was comfortable doing his job here. Too bad, I was hoping he would ride that out and stay on.

Reaction Score
The man is a devout christian and the University and State asked him to keep that information to himself while he was at work.

Only in Connecticut. This man would have helped us tremendously in recruiting young christian men from the South. But we don't want to offend some soccer mom in Hartford. Unbelievable.

Wonder who they will hire to replace him.
Sorry, and head of a public institution who failed to check him on that statement would have been derelict in performing their job. It is a public institution and no one told him what he could or could believe. And that is the point. No told him what to believe and he couldn't the others. "Jess in the huddle" that was beyond stupid. However, it was one mistake and the world wasn't going to end because of it. This wasn't a Connecticut thing, it was a Constitution thing. I know that document can be annoying, but it is also the foundation of a nation.

Reaction Score
I'll trust Diaco until he gives me reason not to, so if he says it's coincidental I believe him. That said, many are forgetting Jones' full quote. He didn't just say "Jesus in the huddle" was who "HE" is. He said it's who "Diaco" is too.

If you're okay with Jones leaving because he can't separate his spirituality from his profession, you should be asking Diaco to submit his letter of resignation too.

Reaction Score
I'll trust Diaco until he gives me reason not to, so if he says it's coincidental I believe him. That said, many are forgetting Jones' full quote. He didn't just say "Jesus in the huddle" was who "HE" is. He said it's who "Diaco" is too.

If you're okay with Jones leaving because he can't separate his spirituality from his profession, you should be asking Diaco to submit his letter of resignation too.

I missed Coach Diaco's quote while he was employed at a public institution that comes anywhere close to what Coach Jone's said.

Reaction Score
Is it? He was basically told that you can't discuss Jesus or being Christian in the media or in the locker room.

No he wasn't.

I love the implication that I don't know "men like Ernest", too. It's a nice touch.

Reaction Score
For whatever reason he left, Coach Jones seems like a good man as I am sure as are many of those who had opinions one way or another. While he seems like a good coach he does not have the resume that makes him irreplaceable. Appreciate his short service to UCONN football and wish him all the best. Big issue here is that we are weeks away from start of spring practice and we do not have a running backs coach. We are also two months away from spring visit period and are down a coach for recruiting so we need to fill the spot very quickly. Was there anyone else on the short list for the position originally or does anyone know of a coach with ties to Coach Diaco that would be a candidate.

Reaction Score
"The Huskies have to find a running backs coach before spring practice starts next month. Diaco said they will but didn't offer a timetable as to when that hire would be executed. In regards to the player development/engagement role, Diaco said the entire coaching staff will have a role in attempting to better the players on and off the field in a multitude of ways. He said that would have been the case anyway."

Reaction Score
"The Huskies have to find a running backs coach before spring practice starts next month. Diaco said they will but didn't offer a timetable as to when that hire would be executed. In regards to the player development/engagement role, Diaco said the entire coaching staff will have a role in attempting to better the players on and off the field in a multitude of ways. He said that would have been the case anyway."

Any speculation on his replacement? Have to figure pickings are slim at this point.

Reaction Score

You understand that "we're going to make sure they understand that should be in the center of our huddle, that that's something that is important" isn't just a statement of his own spirituality, don't you?

Reaction Score
I missed Coach Diaco's quote while he was employed at a public institution that comes anywhere close to what Coach Jone's said.

You also missed my point. Unless you're only upset at what Jones said, not the fact what he said was how he was going to go about doing his job.

I thought people were upset that his words would follow his actions. Are you saying that you don't care how he did his job, as long as he didn't make the aspects of it that you disagree with known publicly?

"We're going to make sure they understand that should be in the center of our huddle, that that's something that is important. If you want to be successful and you want to win, get championships then you better understand that this didn't happen because of you. This happened because of our Lord and Savior. That's going to be something said by Bob Diaco. That's something that's going to be said by Ernest Jones. That's who we are."

So you either missed my point, or you're fine with Diaco saying that privately to the team, but not publicly to the press?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom