Ernest Jones resigns | The Boneyard

Ernest Jones resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
His comments should not have led to this. He was by all accounts a good man who misspoke. Unbelievable. (I know it says it was for personal/family reasons, but...)

To be honest, Mike, I thought we had finally reached the point where it had all blown over, and that the Spring Game was going to make everyone forget that the comment / reaction had ever happened. Maybe he felt more strongly about his quote and being able to deliver that message than what many (myself included) thought. Or maybe the state's reaction to it was not what he wanted out of a new job.

Either way....wow...

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Hadn't this blown over already? I'd forgotten about it. I assume they will fill the position, both the running backs coach and the engagement aspect. Compared to the men's basketball team, the football team seems less visible in the public. I was hoping increased visibility would lead to increased interest.

Reaction Score
Too bad, but maybe he feels strongly about what he said and he will seek a position at a Christian school. I wish him and family the best.

I would respect him greatly if that is the case (and I thought his Jesus in the huddle comments were a huge mistake). Would show he feels so strongly about his statement that he will go to a school that would allow him to state that.

Reaction Score
To be honest, Mike, I thought we had finally reached the point where it had all blown over, and that the Spring Game was going to make everyone forget that the comment / reaction had ever happened. Maybe he felt more strongly about his quote and being able to deliver that message than what many (myself included) thought. Or maybe the state's reaction to it was not what he wanted out of a new job.

Either way....wow...

Or maybe.....it's exactly like HCBD said and he has an overwhelming family issue that he is putting first. I know, crazy to believe what is said when we can read between the lines and make up our own narrative.

Reaction Score
From the quotes given to Dez it looks to be family related:

“Ernest has resigned his position effective immediately here at the university after deep inspection and reflection,” UConn head coach Bob Diaco said Monday morning. “And it is entirely family and personally related.”

Diaco said he was “shocked” by the resignation of Jones who he also worked with at Notre Dame.

“It all was a shock, absolutely,” Diaco said. “He took his time and deeply reflected. He took a week and deeply reflected with his family to make a decision for him and his family to resign his position here and focus on private family matters and pursue other opportunities that facilitate and suit his family.”

Entire Article:
http://courantblogs.com/uconn-football/ernest-jones-resigns-as-uconn-football-assistant/

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Or maybe.....it's exactly like HCBD said and he has an overwhelming family issue that he is putting first. I know, crazy to believe what is said when we can read between the lines and make up our own narrative.
I hope you are right.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This thread ought to be fun to watch as it blows up on President's Day.

Reaction Score
This is a black eye for the Huskies. Jumping all over this guy for some very soft comments was unseemly at best and intolerance at its worst.

And you are wrong. Coach Jones was not punished, and the majority of people who said it was inappropriate to say did not go further than that. It was an inappropriate statement made at a public institution. The President made a statement (as she should have) and it was over.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree, I dont think he was jumped all over. The statement was made, SH made a statement, everyone made a statement. And no one thought about this incident until now, it had completely blown over. Ill believe HCBD and leave the speculation to this joint.

Reaction Score
I hope you are right.

It's not about being right, the coach stressed multiple times it was a family issue and unrelated to the quote, so the first reactions to the article was to say that it was because of the quote.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Did I say something to offend you? Or is it too much of a stretch to think that when the quote is "entirely family and personally related", to speculate to what the "personally" means? Like 99% of the people on this thread have already...

EDIT: It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyways, that I wish the guy the best. I've defended him in other threads, and I thought that he was going to do well here. Just to put my comments in the proper perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom