Ernest Jones resigns | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Ernest Jones resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So if UCONN hired a Muslim soccer coach who thought having Allah on the sideline would help him recruit, you would say Herbst should just keep her mouth shut and let the coach win?

Sorry for not clarifying. I don't think UConn would do it for any religion. I don't know what school would try it off the top of my head. But if you were to try it, you'd have to start with a sport that has a smaller footprint than football.

New Englanders are way too fearful of letting any success be tied to a religion in any way, shape or form.

Reaction Score
I didn't have sex with that woman. You can keep your healthcare plan, period. The resignation had nothing to do with the vapors about his Jesus comments. Freescooter thinks its on Ollie.

Which one is the true statement?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I have to admit I never understood why anyone would want to live anywhere in this country that isn't a good fit for them culturally. It's why you'll never see me live in NYC or any other major metro area.

It's the 21st C. If it's that much of an issue and you are in an area where your beliefs are so far in the minority that you'll have to deal with decisions well outside your beliefs, move. And if you make the decision that moving is too much of a burden and you're stuck there, suck it up. Life's about prioritizing choices.

And if you don't like public education, make sacrifices and put your kids in private school. My family does it.

The thing us, logic says don't live among people who make you uncomfortable, but the Constitution says that there are some aspects of life that our system supposedly shields you from being uncomfortable about, at least where state action is involved. Religion is one if them and its why the Texas Boar of Ed members who insist on Christian interpretative doctrine be part if anything but maybe a course on religious histiry in the US are out of line. Most non Christians I know who live in non South FL Deep South are there because that's where jobs took them, in this generation or their parents.

Reaction Score
Wayne Lineburg has experience coaching RB's...so Diaco could find a guy to coach WR's and move Wayne to RB's coach.
ugh.... at this stage it may be the best option for us and then we can search for yet another RB coach for next season.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Yeah, Dez could have helped a brother out instead he finked on him like a hallway monitor.

lo7.JPG

Reaction Score
"This is 100% coincidental" is politically correct?

That's not politically correct spin, that would be a lie.
Well a lot of PC stuff said is straight up lies. An informal poll of NFL players recently found that the players would support a gay teammate. Not a single player is going to come out and say anything negative about a potentially gay teammate because of the backlash. I have no proof, but I'm sure some today would feel like Tim Hardaway did when discussing the John Ameachi thing. He spoke his mind, expressed HIS belief that he wouldn't like it, and promptly got fired from his job. I don't recall word for word, but I don't remember anything that he said that was so inflammatory. In a lot of instances today you have two choices when asked about something controversial. Lie about your true feelings if they are not the popular opinion, or get ready for the backlash. A "no comment" these days could get you in trouble.

Also I accidentally quoted your post when trying to respond to someone else earlier so I apologize.
Really got to stop trying to post from my phone.

I just want to get a RB coach and move forward. Really hope this doesn't damage our image in terms of hiring coaches in the future. Not really how I would have liked for the Diaco thing to get started.

Reaction Score
I don't care what side you land on with this discussion, if you think the Constitution was written to "shield you from being uncomfortable" you might be a moron. There is nothing in the Constitution that says people have a right to be comfortable, or a right to not be uncomfortable. Good grief the establishment clause is being butchered.

Reaction Score
Well a lot of PC stuff said is straight up lies. An informal poll of NFL players recently found that the players would support a gay teammate. Not a single player is going to come out and say anything negative about a potentially gay teammate because of the backlash. I have no proof, but I'm sure some today would feel like Tim Hardaway did when discussing the John Ameachi thing. He spoke his mind, expressed HIS belief that he wouldn't like it, and promptly got fired from his job. I don't recall word for word, but I don't remember anything that he said that was so inflammatory. In a lot of instances today you have two choices when asked about something controversial. Lie about your true feelings if they are not the popular opinion, or get ready for the backlash. A "no comment" these days could get you in trouble.

Also I accidentally quoted your post when trying to respond to someone else earlier so I apologize.

I just want to get a RB coach and move forward. Really hope this doesn't damage our image in terms of hiring coaches in the future. Not really how I would have liked for the Diaco thing to get started.
No apology required, I didn't understand why you were quoting me.

Terrell Thomas was pretty honest about his feelings. He didn't say anything overtly negative, but some CFL players did. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ayers-fined-for-negative-michael-sam-comments

I'm curious to see who we bring in too, position coaches are important, but this isn't something we can't recover from, far from it.

Reaction Score

Tim Hardaway is probably not the best example to use to make your point, seeing as he said this:
"Well, you know I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States." That's going far beyond expressing a belief. Hate speech disguised as "beliefs" is still hate speech. Note: What Jones said is in no way hate speech.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Actually, Hardaway's comments were pretty awful. He said he "hates gay people". That's pretty inflammatory.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2766213

Reaction Score
Actually, Hardaway's comments were pretty awful. He said he "hates gay people". That's pretty inflammatory.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2766213
Didn't remember his exact words, but yeah what he said is pretty effed up. When asked what he thought, he should have lied though, if he truly hates "gay people". Wow. Almost six years to the day. Can't believe it was that long ago.

What I remembered about that convo was the radio host asking him how he would feel about having an openly gay teammate showering and dressing in the locker room. It set off his diatribe. Really didn't remember the "I hate gay people" comment. Unacceptable to say the least.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe you should go back there since you post mostly over there.

This is about a coach who said something that got a lot of publicity in the state and of course none of us are privy to what was said behind closed doors by Susan Herbst. I am guessing like the rest of us he left because he decided he could not put his beliefs off for any job.
I wish him well wherever he ends up
Stop "guessing" out loud. You just add to the division.

Reaction Score
Sorry for not clarifying. I don't think UConn would do it for any religion. I don't know what school would try it off the top of my head. But if you were to try it, you'd have to start with a sport that has a smaller footprint than football.

New Englanders are way too fearful of letting any success be tied to a religion in any way, shape or form.
Love those judgements you paint millions of people with. It is truly the mark of ignorance.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Love those judgements you paint millions of people with. It is truly the mark of ignorance.

New England is not tolerant when it comes to religion or those who profess Jesus. I see it an awful lot in the northeast and do not see it when I travel down south. Just two different worlds.

Reaction Score
New England is not tolerant when it comes to religion or those who profess Jesus. I see it an awful lot in the northeast and do not see it when I travel down south. Just two different worlds.

The very tenets of Puritanism are about prayer in secret. It's something that's totally personal and individual--as opposed to Catholicism. It was part of their revolution. This carries over in public life.

But to say that is not religious is to simply prefer one form over Christianity over another. Which also applies to the whole discussion of being gay here as well since not all Christians have a negative view of homosexuality.

Reaction Score

Sorry, but that is idiotic. A large percentage of people in New England are Christian and I highly doubt many feel they are oppressed by New England society.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry, but that is idiotic. I large number of people in New England are Christian and I highly doubt many feel they are oppressed by new england society.

Exactly. We're talking the difference between Evangelicals and Mainline Protestants. It's not a Pro/Anti thing but a style thing.

Reaction Score
Exactly. We're talking the difference between Evangelicals and Mainline Protestants. It's not a Pro/Anti thing but a style thing.

I think most people in New England just like to keep religious talk at home. The very word Evangelical almost implies someone getting in your face about religion. Just because I say no thank you and shut my door on a Jehovah's Witness doesn't mean i'm not tolerant, i'm just not in the mood to be converted at this point in my life and I certainly don't want anyone telling me i'm at risk of going to hell or the end of the world is at hand. I think the people who think other people are going to hell are the ones who have tolerance issues. I guess uconnbill would let them in his house and serve them dinner.

Are people in the South more tolerant to Jehovah's Witness's Uconnbill?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

If that attitude also means we don't craft legislation out of the 19th century, then I will take it every single day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/..._senators_admit_it_s_discrimination_kill.html

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
His initial quote was about Jesus, not spirituality.

If he could recruit and coach, he could talk about Satan in the locker room for all I care. That said, who the hell knows why he really resigned?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think most people in New England just like to keep religious talk at home. The very word Evangelical almost implies someone getting in your face about religion. Just because I say no thank you and shut my door on a Jehovah's Witness doesn't mean i'm not tolerant, i'm just not in the mood to be converted at this point in my life and I certainly don't want anyone telling me i'm at risk of going to hell or the end of the world is at hand. I think the people who think other people are going to hell are the ones who have tolerance issues. I guess uconnbill would let them in his house and serve them dinner.

Are people in the South more tolerant to Jehovah's Witness's Uconnbill?

I have no issue talking to Jehovah Witnesses, even though I don't agree with them. The issue here is that those enlightened folks up here are not tolerate of those "bible thumping Christians". They are more tolerate than New Englanders's as a whole. Travel some young man and you will see the difference for yourself

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Also, for anyone who thinks the University is intolerant toward Christian coaches, the guy we have heading up the men's bball team is a pretty openly devout man. He doesn't seem to be having any problems with it.

There is a difference though. One is a UCONN alumni and Jim Calhoun's personal choose to succeed him. The other has zero connections with UCONN and had a few UCONN alumni complained to the university and the local newspapers.

Reaction Score
There is a difference though. One is a UCONN alumni and Jim Calhoun's personal choose to succeed him. The other has zero connections with UCONN and had a few UCONN alumni complained to the university and the local newspapers.

So Herbst refrains from reprimanding him for it because of Jim Calhoun? Mmmmkay.

Reaction Score
I have no issue talking to Jehovah Witnesses, even though I don't agree with them. The issue here is that those enlightened folks up here are not tolerate of those "bible thumping Christians". They are more tolerate than New Englanders's as a whole. Travel some young man and you will see the difference for yourself

If by "bible thumping Christians" you mean people who preach at work you are probably right. I have never worked at a place where an employee started preaching on the job, but it would probably make me feel uncomfortable if that happened. I have however had many enjoyable "is there a God" and "is there an afterlife?" discussions at the bar with co-workers after work.

From my experience religion is generally not discussed when you are on the clock, that's where Jones ran into trouble, he implied he would be preaching on the clock at a high profile, state job with a large amount of leadership responsibility. Not acceptable. Does that mean New Englander's are not tolerant of religion? Absolutely not, but in our culture you generally keep religion (and politics btw) out of the work place. I think most companies fear religion and politics on the job would distract employees from their primary function and potentially divide people in the work place and reduce morale and production. Case in point the "Cesspool", we generally all get along in the football and basketball forums, but the Cesspool is pretty much a bunch of monkey's throwing their feces around. Notice how religion and politics has divided us in this forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesw1963