Ernest Jones resigns | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Ernest Jones resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is it? He was basically told that you can't discuss Jesus or being Christian in the media or in the locker room. You can see him dancing around the topic everytime he's interviewed...trying to qualify his statements and keep from making the same mistake. Jesus is always on the tip of the tongue for men like Ernest.

I know men like Ernest, Christian devotion is different in the South and Midwest. Asking a man like him to keep his faith bottled up is the ultimate slap in the face and everytime he hides his true thoughts he feels that he is disrespecting God. Want to know what his personal and family issues were? His convictions to his God. Christians in the South do not keep their religion to themselves. For men like Ernest God is a part of EVERYTHING. For him, everything he has is thanks to his God so for someone to tell him that he can't openly speak about God at work is inconceivable to him.

Culturally CT was not a fit for him. This never would have happened in the South. He needs to be in South or Midwest or at a religious private institution.

Hmm...Kevin Ollie seems to be managing this just fine.

Reaction Score
New England is not tolerant when it comes to religion or those who profess Jesus. I see it an awful lot in the northeast and do not see it when I travel down south. Just two different worlds.

The intolerance in the South of not only those who are not religious, but those of a "different" sect of Christianity, is exponentially greater than the perceived intolerance of people of faith in the Northeast.

Reaction Score
There is a difference though. One is a UCONN alumni and Jim Calhoun's personal choose to succeed him. The other has zero connections with UCONN and had a few UCONN alumni complained to the university and the local newspapers.

No. The difference is that Ollie's discussions of his faith are entirely personal in nature.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Time to get back to football guys... UCONN Football....

Right, let's stop beating around the bush. The reason why this issue stings so bad is that it reflects poorly on coach, it's his first big misstep. He shouldn't have brought this guy into the program and his doing so puts his judgement into question. Jones was fired by his alma mater, a school right smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt for crying out loud. The moral being that maybe you want Jesus in the huddle, but you better keep your hands out of the till. Fired for malfeasance and contumacious conduct. I had never heard the word contumacious before. As a matter of fact, when you enter "malfeasance and contumacious conduct" into Google the first thing you get is a definition of contumacious. The 2nd entry is a legal brief titled "Jones v. Alcorn State University" which should be mandatory reading for this board.

BTW, contumacious means " openly insubordinate and willfully obstinate--exhibiting stubborn rebelliousness". I wonder if after his Diaco had his talk with Jones, Jones responded with some contumacious conduct which necessitated his resignation. No way he got canned for just the original comments alone.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The intolerance in the South of not only those who are not religious, but those of a "different" sect of Christianity, is exponentially greater than the perceived intolerance of people of faith in the Northeast.

You know that famous Emo Phillips joke?

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said "Stop! don't do it!"
"Why shouldn't I?" he said.
I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!"
He said, "Like what?"
I said, "Well...are you religious or atheist?"
He said, "Religious."
I said, "Me too! Are you christian or buddhist?"
He said, "Christian."
I said, "Me too! Are you catholic or protestant?"
He said, "Protestant."
I said, "Me too! Are you episcopalian or baptist?"
He said, "Baptist!"
I said,"Wow! Me too! Are you baptist church of god or baptist church of the lord?"
He said, "Baptist church of god!" I said, "Me too!
Are you original baptist church of god, or are you reformed baptist church of god?"
He said,"Reformed Baptist church of god!"
I said, "Me too! Are you reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1879, or reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915?"
He said, "Reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915!"
I said, "Die, heretic scum", and pushed him off. -- Emo Phillips

Reaction Score
This story is front page on FoxNews.

Regardless of constitution/faith (blah, blah and say what you will about FoxNews), bad press is bad press. Not laying blame, but there is no silver lining so far.

Reaction Score

Regardless of constitution/faith (blah, blah and say what you will about FoxNews), bad press is bad press. Not laying blame, but there is no silver lining so far.

and this is one of the reasons you keep religion out of the work place, it's impossible to discuss religion without politics creeping into it. Fake News and their minions can go _________ themselves. Look how this subject has brought us all together, in Jesus' name, Amen.

and the right wingers who are mad at Herbst should root for a different school, she did nothing wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
and this is one of the reasons you keep religion out of the work place, it's impossible to discuss religion without politics creeping into it. Fake News and their minions can go _________ themselves. Look how this subject has brought us all together, in Jesus' name, Amen.

and the right wingers who are mad at Herbst should root for a different school, she did the right thing.

This is quintessential "Northeastern Tolerance".

Reaction Score

and the right wingers who are mad at Herbst should root for a different school, she did the right thing.

Well, I tried nicely to provide a simple, unbiased, non-inflammatory little update post............. and you promptly ram it violently up your own arse with vitriolic flourish.

I've intentionally stayed completely out of this foolishness, but seriously, how do you not see the raging hypocrisy in your post? And that goes for the people on the other side of the fence as well.

Nevermind, I'm checking back out of this cesspool.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Other than trusting Diaco's judgement, I haven't seen any personal knowledge in this thread that Jones is a great coach. And if we all trust Diaco, he says the resignation is not related to the Jesus kerfluffle. So good luck in the future, next.

I bet Dez will have an article giving Jones' explanation soon.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
image-jpg.5052

Classic!!!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Diaco said that issue had been dealt with swiftly and that Jones' resignation was unrelated to the issue.
"The university administration and the department were extremely supportive and provided education to me [that] I passed along to the staff about speaking on behalf of the university as a university representative," Diaco said. "The fact of the matter is life happens. And things arise in people's lives that need attention and this is entirely, 100 percent coincidental."

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Personally, I will take Diaco at his word, until he gives me reason otherwise. I urge the rest of you to do so as well.

Reaction Score
Well, I tried nicely to provide a simple, unbiased, non-inflammatory little update post... and you promptly ram it violently up your own arse with vitriolic flourish.

I've intentionally stayed completely out of this foolishness, but seriously, how do you not see the raging hypocrisy in your post? And that goes for the people on the other side of the fence as well.

Nevermind, I'm checking back out of this cesspool.

It was an attempt to make it clear what religious discussion in the work place can do for everyone. It's so productive and always brings workers closer together because there is one thing we can all agree on and that is religion.

Reaction Score
No way he got canned for just the original comments alone.

So you're all in that he got canned/fired as opposed to he resigned on his own accord for a personal reason?

Reaction Score
Right, let's stop beating around the bush. The reason why this issue stings so bad is that it reflects poorly on coach, it's his first big misstep. He shouldn't have brought this guy into the program and his doing so puts his judgement into question. Jones was fired by his alma mater, a school right smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt for crying out loud. The moral being that maybe you want Jesus in the huddle, but you better keep your hands out of the till. Fired for malfeasance and contumacious conduct. I had never heard the word contumacious before. As a matter of fact, when you enter "malfeasance and contumacious conduct" into Google the first thing you get is a definition of contumacious. The 2nd entry is a legal brief titled "Jones v. Alcorn State University" which should be mandatory reading for this board.

BTW, contumacious means " openly insubordinate and willfully obstinate--exhibiting stubborn rebelliousness". I wonder if after his Diaco had his talk with Jones, Jones responded with some contumacious conduct which necessitated his resignation. No way he got canned for just the original comments alone.

It's really time this discussion be shelved in favor of boobies. Leave the explanation for the resignation at social religious cultural stuff that is nonsense really, rather than the possibility that a guy was hired and post hire, a history of stuff like establishing illegal $10k+ slush fund accounts for recruiting and donor concession and other stuff like that was discovered.

Yup - he resigned over the religion comments - ok - everybody? Give the guy his dignity.

Now:

Boobies. Sweater Puppies.

sexy-sweater-puppies-25.jpg

Reaction Score
Leave the explanation for the resignation at social religious cultural stuff that is nonsense really, rather than the possibility that a guy was hired and post hire, a history of stuff like establishing illegal $10k+ slush fund accounts for recruiting and donor concession and other stuff like that was discovered.

C'mon - You really, really think that this wasn't known before he was hired? Sounds like the Doug Williams etal issue @ Grambling .

Reaction Score
The man is a devout christian and the University and State asked him to keep that information to himself while he was at work.

Only in Connecticut. This man would have helped us tremendously in recruiting young christian men from the South. But we don't want to offend some soccer mom in Hartford. Unbelievable.

Wonder who they will hire to replace him.

Yes. It has nothing to do with state representatives trying to do their job and uphold the laws and constitution. Just a desire not to offend soccer moms.

Every time you think the board can't go further off the deep end ....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So you're all in that he got canned/fired as opposed to he resigned on his own accord for a personal reason?

No, all I am saying his comments to Dez is not why he is no longer a coach at UConn. Those comments aren't going to get you fired at UConn, just a slap on the wrist. But also can't say that he left on his own accord, as leaving for "family reasons" and the like are almost cliche these days. But it could be the case. My gut says that his subsequent reaction to the wrist slap is what brought the issue to a boil.

Reaction Score
Wrong again, bill. James Madison, Father of the Constitution, was a devout man. But his insistence of a strict seperation of church and state was such that he wanted the post offices open on Sunday. The fathers knew that injecting faith over reason in Government is a recipe for disaster.
Similarly, Jefferson, Governor of Virginia, President, Ambassador, author of the Declaration of Independence held the following view: "it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. .." and it was Jefferson who coined the phrase "a wall of separation between Church and State" in his letter to the Danbury Baptists. The founders were a decidedly mixed in their religious outlook. Samuel Adams was a strict Calvinist.New England Congregationalist. Franklin had views which were difficult to was a diest, although John Adams once said the Catholics thought him a Catholic, Presbytarians a Prysbertarian, the Church of England claimed him as one of their own..." At one point he wrote ""I think opinions should be judged by their influences and effects; and if a man holds none that tend to make him less virtuous or more vicious, it may be concluded that he holds none that are dangerous, which I hope is the case with me." Later in life he returned to organized religion but not any particular one. He was a supporter of organized religion in general but not any one in particular. Thomas Paine, on the other hand, writer of the highly influential Common Sense, was a deist and a freethinker who was strongly opposed to any form of organized religion. Washington believed that all religious beliefs were beneficial to a society. He himself was an Anglican, but as Commander of the Colonial Army he forbade Guy Fawkes day celebrations among his troops which were anti-Catholic in color, and during the invasion of Canada he ordered his commanders to treat the French Catholics with respect, partly to generate support for the rebellion, its true. For what its worth, General Arnold ignored those orders. He rarely attended church services, though during his presidency he was once reportedly criticized from the pulpit for regularly leaving early when he did. Charles Carroll, a leader of the Maryland delegation was a Catholic. His younger brother John was the first American Catholic bishop.

Final note. The founding fathers had a wide range of religious views. One reason that it gets confusing. A second reason is that like many people, sometimes views changed over time. Finally, there were certain customs, or writing styles which tended to use religious references as a style, particularly in political documents. The Declaration of Independence is a great example of this. But if you compare it to the Constitution, which is much more of a "technical" document about how government should operate, I don't think you will find a single reference to a Supreme Being. The single reference to religion is a negative one, in the First Amendment rather than the original document, that Congress shall make no laws regarding it. For what it is worth, if you've ever read the Articles of confederation, they are a similar "technical" document without reference to a deity

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
2,000 years ago government officials didn't like what Jesus was saying so they crucified him. Not much has changed.
Right... a football coach deciding maybe he'd rather coach at a university that explicitly endorses religion instead of a university that asks people in positions of authority to not use their authority to proselytize to students, is the exact same thing as the Romans driving giant nails in the hands and feet of the Son of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom