Ernest Jones resigns | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Ernest Jones resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Keep believing that. How many times have you seen coaches pushed out and they resign? Just saying.
I would hope the University would be smarter than to put themselves in that position. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
That doesn't make any sense at all. If they were about to fire him why would they have released a "Meet Coach Jones" type video last week?
Bingo, and they wouldn't have sat on their hands for a month and done nothing and then force him out. I would be shellshocked if this decision was anything but Jones's and his alone.

Reaction Score
Yeah, just like Hillary and the Doper in Chief just trying to do their job by getting that bad guy who made that video that sparked the peaceful demonstration in Bengazhi that unfortunately turned into something more that overwhelmed their best laid plans to protect the ambassador. And not a single fib by them to protect their butts. And how about college officials, always doing right, just ask Penn State.

Exactly, you could have also mentioned Chappaquiddick or Abscam. For God sakes, Franklin Roosevelt married his cousin and she wasn't even hot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
C'mon - You really, really think that this wasn't known before he was hired? Sounds like the Doug Williams etal issue @ Grambling .

No sh---t. :) You got people around here trying to dig up stuff, then some reporter reads it looking for info to write a story, because they don't think for themselves anymore and just read message boards.......and the thing won't die, and before you know it you'll start reading about the slush fund crap again in the associated press......

The guy, made some mistakes many years ago, and I'm sure has learned his lessons, with regards to actual business of college football, and he clearly wasn't fit to be making statements to the press for a division 1A football program at UCONN and needed a little instruction on correcting those mistakes as well, and I'm sure has learned his lessons, and for whatever reasons, of which I'm sure the media storm was one, and the winter we're having probably another, (we're at the point now, where 3 inches of snow is a dusting and I'm not shoveling - at least for me) and he came to the conclusion that the he didn't want to be at UCONN anymore. I'm glad he decided quick.

The rest of this entire 9 page discussion is people blowing their own sails full of hot air and fluffing themselves at the expense of a real person, in Ernest Jones, that I'm sure just wants to make a living for himself and support his family, through coaching football.

...and if we're going to be filling sails with hot air.....I'd rather not dig on a guy that's got nothing to do with UCONN, and I'd rather those sails be full of wind in the Caribbean, and I'm not in the Carribbean right now, I'm in Connecticut, , so I'd rather be dealing with the one wonderful thing that Connecticut winters bring - and that's...

sweater puppies.

sweater_puppies2.jpg

Reaction Score
That doesn't make any sense at all. If they were about to fire him why would they have released a "Meet Coach Jones" type video last week?
Not much on this thread makes any sense - even my post. But this does.

Reaction Score
This is a brilliant idea! Boobies should always take precedent!
Yes, because we played so well with them last year at 3-9! I think, as a football fan, I would like to hear progress on all aspects developing the program. Stadium, fan climate, conference alignment student participation (try this, have can food drives by student groups at the stadium) have students and fans engage one another. But this thread is turning into a what is administratively wrong with UConn regarding freedom of speech. So here is my (insert sarcasm) my conspiracy theory. Susan Herbst/Ward Manual, unable to get us out of the AAC, unable to get funds to build a 100,000 person stadium, unable to get television dollars, unable to get the fans rose colored glasses, unable to get Nick Saban to CT, are intentionally distracting us by highlighting a liberal agenda where religion won't be tolerated and where bad assistant coaches were hired so we wont focus on all the aforementioned things that we can't do. And I know this to be true and so do you cause like you I just read it on the internet!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Because it's Connecticut. This wouldn't be an issue at Texas, Alabama or many other schools. In Connecticut? It is.

As I said in my original post, the vetting/hiring process failed.
If true, then that's a very sad statement.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So if UCONN hired a Muslim soccer coach who thought having Allah on the sideline would help him recruit, you would say Herbst should just keep her mouth shut and let the coach win?
Well if UConn hired a Muslim soccer coach who said that faith, integrity and holding yourself personally accountable for your actions was a point of emphasis in the program, I'd be all for him. Being open to life of faith and accountability, I find to be generically acceptable, even desirable. It is the requirement of a particular faith that is problematic. I don't believe that Jones intended to that, but it is what is.

Reaction Score
All this because of one slow news day in January and a non-story turning into a media storm on UConn Football. This is really too bad, and should have just been handled internally. I really hope that comment did not lead to this, and I wish Coach Jones the best of luck. We lost a passionate, promising coach on this staff.

As soon as the Courant ran the "Letter to The Editor," a very minor internal issue became something that couldn't be allowed to fester. What could have been handled with a quiet conversation between the coaches and WM, or even SH, became something that UCONN, SH, and even the Gov, had to address. SH's thought process?

"Crap, I've got Gloria Allred up my butt, and now, I'm about to get visited by the ACLU. The John Birch Society won't be far behind with their two cents. Oh, and I can't wait for calls from our liberal politicians. I've got to end this now!"
SH did what she had to do.

Remember the tired old rule about "never mentioning religion or politics" at cocktail parties? Put some of those posting to this thread in a room. Add booze. Stand back. Observe. Some rules are timeless.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As soon as the Courant ran the "Letter to The Editor," a very minor internal issue became something that couldn't be allowed to fester. What could have been handled with a quiet conversation between the coaches and WM, or even SH, became something that UCONN, SH, and even the Gov, had to address. SH's thought process?

Did the editorial/letter come before or after Herbst's statement?

Reaction Score
Desmond Conner reports that Jones' statements had nothing to do with his resignation. I wouldn't be too quick to assume one of them is connected to the other, especially when this took several weeks to happen. Besides, Herbst admitted she considered it a closed matter. And if they wanted to do anything to him, they would have done it a while ago.

On the other hand, "personal" reasons could mean "I don't feel accepted here because of my religion. I'm not comfortable so I'm quitting" which would be incredibly ironic given the circumstances, but still possible. As I've said before, I don't approve of what Jones did, but if he was in fact forced to resign over this, I think that punishment went too far. Considering players on the football team have, among other things, gotten DUIs, beaten up their girlfriends, and gotten into fights without getting kicked off the team, I think what Jones did is not nearly as bad as those things. He deserved a stern talking to, but that's it. Lyle McCombs got suspended for a quarter for assaulting his girlfriend. If Jones lost his job for invoking Jesus, and I'm not convinced that was the case, then UConn Football really needs to get its priorities straight.

Reaction Score
Did the editorial/letter come before or after Herbst's statement?

SH comments were in response to the Letter to the Editor.

>>Herbst was responding to a letter that appeared in The Courant on Tuesday, in which Rena Epstein of West Hartford said that she felt "alientated" after reading Jones' statement.<<

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
any takers on the over/under that this will fester?

given confirmation bias, bad snowstorms and all that... I think there is at least 2 days of pent up anger left.

thoughts?

Reaction Score
Nobody ever responded to this. It's the only piece of hard evidence we have.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
"The guy, made some mistakes many years ago, and I'm sure has learned his lessons, with regards to actual business of college football, and he clearly wasn't fit to be making statements to the press for a division 1A football program at UCONN and needed a little instruction on correcting those mistakes as well, and I'm sure has learned his lessons, and for whatever reasons, of which I'm sure the media storm was one, and the winter we're having probably another, (we're at the point now, where 3 inches of snow is a dusting and I'm not shoveling - at least for me) and he came to the conclusion that the he didn't want to be at UCONN anymore. I'm glad he decided quick."

From a strictly grammatical point of view, that is one helluva sentence! Complex, compound, subordinate clauses, parenthetical comments, the works. A truly admirable achievement. (The first one, not the second.) And absolutely no sarcasm intended! One comma fault early on, but once you got rolling, wow!

Reaction Score
"The guy, made some mistakes many years ago, and I'm sure has learned his lessons, with regards to actual business of college football, and he clearly wasn't fit to be making statements to the press for a division 1A football program at UCONN and needed a little instruction on correcting those mistakes as well, and I'm sure has learned his lessons, and for whatever reasons, of which I'm sure the media storm was one, and the winter we're having probably another, (we're at the point now, where 3 inches of snow is a dusting and I'm not shoveling - at least for me) and he came to the conclusion that the he didn't want to be at UCONN anymore. I'm glad he decided quick."

From a strictly grammatical point of view, that is one helluva sentence! Complex, compound, subordinate clauses, parenthetical comments, the works. A truly admirable achievement. (The first one, not the second.) And absolutely no sarcasm intended! One comma fault early on, but once you got rolling, wow!
Yes and adverbs always end in ly. I do agree. I think that he figured that he could not do the job the way he wanted and hit the road. I don't believe there was pressure - hence they would have never wasted time with the "Meet the Coaches" thing.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don't care what side you land on with this discussion, if you think the Constitution was written to "shield you from being uncomfortable" you might be a moron. There is nothing in the Constitution that says people have a right to be comfortable, or a right to not be uncomfortable. Good grief the establishment clause is being butchered.
The Constitution does not shield anyone from discomfort. It does however, tell public bodies that certain rights are guaranteed to you as a shield from government actions in certain ways. Freedom from the creation of a state religion is among them, and what constitutes the "state" fostering a particular religion has been fairly broadly constructed.

Courts exist to decide what conduct with public money violates those protections. For non public conduct, courts also exist to tell private citizens when they have done something to someone that requires compensation or the cessation of the conduct. Nothing prevents outright shunning or non-protected exclusion from private socials activities

Reaction Score
I hope the new coach believes in bringing rattlesnakes into the huddle. That will get the running backs going.

Reaction Score
Yes, because we played so well with them last year at 3-9! I think, as a football fan, I would like to hear progress on all aspects developing the program. Stadium, fan climate, conference alignment student participation (try this, have can food drives by student groups at the stadium) have students and fans engage one another.

If you're serious with this part of your rant I'm guessing you either do not attend games or maybe take in too many pre-game drinks to realize that they already do these things. Food drives, clothing drives etc. my kids enjoy handing in the packages to the students at the gates every year.

Reaction Score
watch over Shamar and Yawin at the Combine, and sorry if I have offended thee. Go UCONN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom