Ernest Jones resigns | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Ernest Jones resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Our friend Joe Zone (Logan Marchi rant) At WFSB had to chime in last night and he is of the opinion that it was Jones's religion remarks that got him removed. He ended the short segment but saying he wouldn't offer anymore of a comment lest he also be given his walking papers. Again a Local reporter turd showing no trust in the new regime. I just hope Ernest T. did leave for personal reasons that do not involve health issues. I was hoping to see what he could have done on the engagement side. Lord ( pardon the term) knows College athletics need all the good news it can get.

Reaction Score
Our friend Joe Zone (Logan Marchi rant) At WFSB had to chime in last night and he is of the opinion that it was Jones's religion remarks that got him removed. He ended the short segment but saying he wouldn't offer anymore of a comment lest he also be given his walking papers. Again a Local reporter turd showing no trust in the new regime. I just hope Ernest T. did leave for personal reasons that do not involve health issues. I was hoping to see what he could have done on the engagement side. Lord ( pardon the term) knows College athletics need all the good news it can get.

That Zone guy is a PGDL lackey.

Anyone who thinks that Jones resigned on his own accord is just out of their minds. I don't know what it entailed but I'm guessing the Jesus stuff combined with the Alcorn St. findings........should've been vetted better by the school.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This fascination our society has with assigning blame to everything is really unhealthy. Sometimes s%it happens. Ernest decided to leave. Was he uncomfortable because of the comments and backlash? Probably, but we dont know. Maybe he hated Storrs, he wouldn't be the first. Maybe he wasn't thrilled with winter in New England, God knows I'm not at the moment.

The guy decided to move on. I'm sure all of you have done that at some point. Rarely is it any one thing, it's just a decision you make. There is no point looking for anybody to blame here, as nobody has done anything wrong. Jones made one comment that I'm sure in hindsight, he knew he shouldn't make and that's it. Herbst said what needed saying. There is no villain in this movie. No bad guy responsible for it. Let's stop overanalyzing it.

Reaction Score
Zone should be denied access to anything UConn. Period.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That Zone guy is a PGDL lackey.

Anyone who thinks that Jones resigned on his own accord is just out of their minds. I don't know what it entailed but I'm guessing the Jesus stuff combined with the Alcorn St. findings...should've been vetted better by the school.

All due respect Jimmy, but if Coach Jones did not resign on his own accord, it could get really ugly for UConn, more so than it already has. Religion is a protected class and if the University "forced" him out, he has grounds for a wrongful termination suit, regardless of how he was separated. Hostile work environment can apply to religion just as much as it can to s*xual harassment. That is why I have no reason not to take Coach Diaco and President Herbst at their respective words and the two incidents are unrelated. I really hope it doesn't play out like that. At the end of the day, Coach Jones has to be comfortable with his actions.

It may also be irresponsible to even speculate as such, lest it draws unrelated advocates to Northeast Connecticut that don't really belong there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No that a man lost his job is my biggest problem. I was very interested in how he was going to bring players out into the community to help make them not only better players but better men. That is what all universities should be doing or try to do.
Now you say he "lost" his job? And you "know" this how? Do you have a special hotline? If he was going to be dismissed by UConn it would have been when he made his statements. They didn't do it then, but you are sure it has happened now? If he truly couldn't deal with the heathens at UConn, then he did the right thing by leaving. Maybe Liberty or Bob Jones U. has an opening.

Reaction Score
All due respect Jimmy, but if Coach Jones did not resign on his own accord, it could get really ugly for UConn, more so than it already has. Religion is a protected class and if the University "forced" him out, he has grounds for a wrongful termination suit, regardless of how he was separated. Hostile work environment can apply to religion just as much as it can to s*xual harassment. That is why I have no reason to take Coach Diaco at his word and the two are unrelated. I really hope it doesn't play out like that. At the end of the day, Coach Jones has to be comfortable with his actions.

It may also be irresponsible to even speculate as such, lest it draws unrelated advocates to Northeast Connecticut that don't really belong there.
Firing someone for their religious beliefs is a VERY different thing than firing a state employee for making inappropriate public comments. Assuming there is even a connection.

Reaction Score
All due respect Jimmy, but if Coach Jones did not resign on his own accord, it could get really ugly for UConn, more so than it already has. Religion is a protected class and if the University "forced" him out, he has grounds for a wrongful termination suit, regardless of how he was separated. Hostile work environment can apply to religion just as much as it can to s*xual harassment. That is why I have no reason to take Coach Diaco and President Herbst at their respective words and the two incidents are unrelated. I really hope it doesn't play out like that. At the end of the day, Coach Jones has to be comfortable with his actions.

We'll probably never know the complete story. And people are free to discuss their opinions and disagree on a message board.

Reaction Score
He ended the short segment but saying he wouldn't offer anymore of a comment lest he also be given his walking papers.

News reporters never discuss their personal faith or politics on the air because they know they would get canned quickly. Maybe Joe Zone is saying his boss told him not to comment.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
That's an irresponsible POV on which to speculate and not expand upon for a person in his position and with his access.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Firing someone for their religious beliefs is a VERY different thing than firing a state employee for making inappropriate public comments. Assuming there is even a connection.

Says one side. On the other hand, it is quite difficult to separate the inappropriate comment from religious beliefs, when the subject of the inappropriate comment is a religious belief.

Husky25

Reaction Score
We'll probably never know the complete story. And people are free to discuss their opinions and disagree on a message board.
No we won't and true about freedom on a message board, but freedoms don't come without consequence either, good or bad.

Joe Zone has a bigger responsibility than we on a message board. To indicate potential malfeasance and not expand on his platform does the situation a disservice.

Reaction Score
Says one side. On the other hand, it is quite difficult to separate the inappropriate comment from religious beliefs, when the subject of the inappropriate comment is a religious belief.
Nope, it's very easy to separate the two. One is an obviously inappropriate PUBLIC comment for a person in his position and the other is someone's personal beliefs. There is quite a difference between the two.

Reaction Score
No we won't and true about freedom on a message board, but freedoms don't come without consequence either, good or bad.

Joe Zone has a bigger responsibility than we on a message board. To indicate potential malfeasance and not expand on his platform does the situation a disservice.

I'm with you on the Joe Zone thing. He did the same thing with the Marchi mess. Presented one side. He should be perona non grata in everything UConn.

Reaction Score
... the Alcorn St. findings...should've been vetted better by the school.

Possible but have a hard time believing that WM didn't know about it - the issue/incident @ Alcorn State happened (2008) before he was hired @ UBuf in 2010 when WM was AD there. It was fairly well publicized.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Nope, it's very easy to separate the two. One is an obviously inappropriate PUBLIC comment for a person in his position and the other is someone's personal beliefs. There is quite a difference between the two.
Distinction without a difference, IMO. The inappropriate comment was a personal religious belief.

That said, I will take Coach Diaco and President Herbst at their respective words in the absences of additional details.

Reaction Score
Right... a football coach deciding maybe he'd rather coach at a university that explicitly endorses religion instead of a university that asks people in positions of authority to not use their authority to proselytize to students, is the exact same thing as the Romans driving giant nails in the hands and feet of the Son of God.

No Ernest
This fascination our society has with assigning blame to everything is really unhealthy. Sometimes s%it happens. Ernest decided to leave. Was he uncomfortable because of the comments and backlash? Probably, but we dont know. Maybe he hated Storrs, he wouldn't be the first. Maybe he wasn't thrilled with winter in New England, God knows I'm not at the moment.

The guy decided to move on. I'm sure all of you have done that at some point. Rarely is it any one thing, it's just a decision you make. There is no point looking for anybody to blame here, as nobody has done anything wrong. Jones made one comment that I'm sure in hindsight, he knew he shouldn't make and that's it. Herbst said what needed saying. There is no villain in this movie. No bad guy responsible for it. Let's stop overanalyzing it.

We all really should. Our common goal is for UCONN to get back to winning on the gridiron. Jones might have expressed his thoughts differently. In addition to being the running backs coach was the director of character development (my words). In his life experience, Jesus was a man who exhibited great character and I believe he was using him as a role model. He could have said Knute Rockne or Peyton Manning (who happens to be a Christian) was going to be in the center of our huddle and nothing more would have been said. It's and unfortunate public misuse of words (Jesus is a hot potato) in our ultra politically correct society, resulting in a fumble strategy wise. We all have our own thoughts on the issue but let's focus on winning and getting back to a bowl game.

Strong Character is an intangible quality that most good leaders have. Speaking of Character, I like what Keven Durant said about Kevin Ollie in the attached article. I respect Jim Calhoun more than ever for making sure His man got the job. Kudos to Ward Manual too! I doubt if anyone cares that Kevin Ollie is a man of faith! No one would have had a problem with Jone's either. Sometimes the right choice of words is critical. As they say discretion is the better part of valor.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...lie-is-responsible-for-thunders-winning-ways/

Reaction Score
Yes. It has nothing to do with state representatives trying to do their job and uphold the laws and constitution. Just a desire not to offend soccer moms.

Every time you think the board can't go further off the deep end ....

Yeah, just like Hillary and the Doper in Chief just trying to do their job by getting that bad guy who made that video that sparked the peaceful demonstration in Bengazhi that unfortunately turned into something more that overwhelmed their best laid plans to protect the ambassador. And not a single fib by them to protect their butts. And how about college officials, always doing right, just ask Penn State.

Reaction Score
From Wikipedia:

3 areas listed below that he worked on at Notre Dame. I guess he might have thought the Land of Steady Habits could handle all of them.

Jones will be responsible for helping develop the Fighting Irish football players in three of the five core areas Head Coach, Brian Kelly uses to develop complete student-athletes: intellectual development, social development, and spiritual development, as the coaching stall is charged with skill development and the strength and conditioning staff is responsible for physical development.
I don't have a problem with counseling players who would have come to him as a father figure while they are away from home but I guess this should have been left unsaid or at least not put out in language such as it was. But of course that is now over and done with. Hopefully there is no more stuff for damage control. Come on Spring Game. Go Huskies!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom