Emmitt Matthews Jr Commits to UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Emmitt Matthews Jr Commits to UConn

Reaction Score
Two west coast guys on board, love it. Matthews is an under the radar recruit, this kid can play. He's got a nice shooting touch and can create his own shots.

Carey come on down

Reaction Score

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Watching the highlights, his release on the jumper is high and quick, which is good.
But what he does with his feet seems kind of random. sometimes one leg bent, sometimes not, Sometimes a leg kick, but not often, etc. That can be coached out, but might be one of those 'don't mess with it' situations if his shooting percentage is high enough.
He doesn't seem to relish contact, which might keep him from getting to the line as much as you'd like your 2/3 to get there.
In the interviews, he seems well spoken and has a self confident manner about him without displaying any cockiness. I like his mental makeup.
While he's definitely lanky, he's not rail thin. Has a basketball build.
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot to not like about him.

Reaction Score
Watching the highlights, his release on the jumper is high and quick, which is good.
But what he does with his feet seems kind of random. sometimes one leg bent, sometimes not, Sometimes a leg kick, but not often, etc. That can be coached out, but might be one of those 'don't mess with it' situations if his shooting percentage is high enough.
He doesn't seem to relish contact, which might keep him from getting to the line as much as you'd like your 2/3 to get there.
In the interviews, he seems well spoken and has a self confident manner about him without displaying any cockiness. I like his mental makeup.
While he's definitely lanky, he's not rail thin. Has a basketball build.
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot to not like about him.

If he's shooting 36% on 4.1 attempts per game in UAA and still has weird footwork, gotta imagine he's got tons of potential as a shooter. We haven't had a consistent 40+ wing in a a.while.. Would be nice to have!

He looks a lot like Oubre did at this age body-wise. I'd guess he's something like 185--looks a lot like larrier. I think he could be a healthy 210 at the college level.

Edit: Looks like he had Georgetown, WVU, Wichita, Seton Hall, Washington State among his offers. Clearly the offers speak louder than the rankings. I'll take any kid that Wichita and WVU are after. They're bound to be tough as nails and heady players.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Time to celebrate. Calhoun always believed in the Red Auerbach doctrine that if you let guys enjoy and celebrate success - your brain will make you work that much harder to repeat the process. I know that’s not the common outside view of Calhoun but that was in fact his philosophy.

Everybody does this Chief. It's literally how human beings function.

Reaction Score

This is a really good article; very happy to have Matthews Jr. in the fold

Averaged 24 and 10 for his school last season. Anyone know what competition is like out there?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Looks like the grid is filled and we now need departures for next year. It is weird how folks sense the pressure when the spots start becoming limited. I'm sure Akinjo felt some pressure to clear the field for the guards and it looks like Matthews knows it was time to s or get off the pot. Here is the latest version I could find.

View attachment 24995

Thanks, Dick.

Reaction Score
Really crazy to see how far we've come in the past 4-5 months when a lot of you guys thought that the sky was falling.

Is this a schtick? You aren't exactly a glass half-full type of guy.

I am really intrigued by this kids height and length. I feel like Jay Bilas. He might be 6'8 or 6'9 by the time he gets here. Someone has already mentioned he grew to 6'9 even though the profiles don't reflect this, and the photo with Calhoun speaks for itself. Smooth game and doesn't look like a kid who grew up big and had to figure out the feel of the perimeter type game.

Reaction Score
This is one of those recruits that appear to be a 4 year player. This means when he becomes a Senior he should be a stud (if not sooner). He has the gifts and talents along with size.

I love watching these types of recruits over their career grow and mature from good to UConn good.

Reaction Score
This is one of those recruits that appear to be a 4 year player. This means when he becomes a Senior he should be a stud (if not sooner). He has the gifts and talents along with size.

I love watching these types of recruits over their career grow and mature from good to UConn good.

At his height, with his developing skillset, who knows. I suspect he's 2 or more year guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was a surprisingly good player. Honestly, to my eye (not a great one...) he looks the part of an elite talent. That all depends on his work ethic, attitude etc., but the reality is he outplayed some top-notch players in UAA, which is no joke. 6'7-6'9 with a jump shot is a good way to make a shtt ton of money these days in the NBA

edit: That was sort of unclear. What I'm saying is unlike Vital or Gilbert, there's no obvious physical limitations for Emmit.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This is why ko brought chills here. Guys recognizes talent and can close.
upload_2017-9-23_23-32-28.jpeg

Reaction Score
I see him as the perfect complement to Wilson at the Forward positions. Two versatile forwards one more a shooter with big wing span and the other really athletic. I still see a place for Carey. Hopefully he still wants to join and we get the big white guy and we can just sit back and enjoy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom