Emmitt Matthews Jr Commits to UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Emmitt Matthews Jr Commits to UConn

Reaction Score
I'll ban you for being an accessory to stupidity if he tries to explain it.
f0d.jpg

Reaction Score
What's the obsession with everyone thinking they're a smaller position than they are? Brazdeikis was adamant about the same thing. They're both small forwards.

You definitely know this, but I'll explain anyways. Because in the NBA, players are on average taller, so guys (especially wings) end up slotting in a position smaller than they presumably would play in college based on height. Guys then try to play that position in college in order to develop and showcase the skills they will need in the NBA.

Reaction Score
He's far more likely to play the 4 at UConn than the 2.

I'll back you up a bit here KSC. Not sure I necessarily agree with him being "far more likely to play the 4", but it's not nearly as far-fetched as some of these posters seem to believe.

Matthews is not at all a typical UConn 2. He's 6'6" right now and many reports are saying he could be anywhere from 6'7" to 6'9" by the time he steps on campus, making him even further from a typical UConn 2. UConn has been most successful with 3 guard lineups, but at 6'7" and far from a point guard handle, he would definitely be more of the "3" in the 3 guard lineup. His game doesn't look all that different from Polley's, who no one is talking about as a 2, and many people have said he could be a small ball 4.

Not sure why you're taking so much heat for that comment when I literally cannot think of a UConn 2 guard in recent history who reminds me of him. Lamb is closest, but he was 6'4'', not 6'7".

Reaction Score
I'll back you up a bit here KSC. Not sure I necessarily agree with him being "far more likely to play the 4", but it's not nearly as far-fetched as some of these posters seem to believe.

Matthews is not at all a typical UConn 2. He's 6'6" right now and many reports are saying he could be anywhere from 6'7" to 6'9" by the time he steps on campus, making him even further from a typical UConn 2. UConn has been most successful with 3 guard lineups, but at 6'7" and far from a point guard handle, he would definitely be more of the "3" in the 3 guard lineup. His game doesn't look all that different from Polley's, who no one is talking about as a 2, and many people have said he could be a small ball 4.

Not sure why you're taking so much heat for that comment when I literally cannot think of a UConn 2 guard in recent history who reminds me of him. Lamb is closest, but he was 6'4'', not 6'7".

Not for anything, but, based upon the picture posted earlier with EM, Jr. standing next to JC, if EM, Jr. is 'only'6'6', JC has really really shrunk like down to 6'1" or so.

Reaction Score
Not saying they aren’t out there, but does anyone have a link in which it states Matthews has grown to 6’9? I haven’t seen it, but a few people have mentioned it.

Reaction Score

What's far-fetched is thinking 1) a reporter has any idea how tall he's going to be, or 2) that will have anything to do with how Ollie uses him.

You literally called him one of the guards in a 3 guard lineup, and wonder why the other poster is taking heat for arguing he's closer to a 4 than a guard?

Matthews playing the 4 is as far-fetched as Diarra playing the 2.

Reaction Score
What's far-fetched is thinking 1) a reporter has any idea how tall he's going to be, or 2) that will have anything to do with how Ollie uses him.

You literally called him one of the guards in a 3 guard lineup, and wonder why the other poster is taking heat for arguing he's closer to a 4 than a guard?

Matthews playing the 4 is as far-fetched as Diarra playing the 2.

"Matthews playing the 4 is as far-fetched as Diarra playing the 2."

That's an absolutely asinine line. I also didn't say he would never play the 2...and if we call it a "3 guard" lineup with say, Akinjo, Gilbert, and Matthews...Matthews is essentially the 3. It's all semantics, but I don't think there will be many instances where Matthews is on the court with only 1 of Gilbert, Akinjo, Vital...whoever else we may have that's a true "guard" on the roster.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
You definitely know this, but I'll explain anyways. Because in the NBA, players are on average taller, so guys (especially wings) end up slotting in a position smaller than they presumably would play in college based on height. Guys then try to play that position in college in order to develop and showcase the skills they will need in the NBA.
And also, your position, whether in college or in the pros, is skill-based not height based. Note: for the guys who need to defend inside, height and strength can be considered "skills."

Reaction Score
"Matthews playing the 4 is as far-fetched as Diarra playing the 2."

That's an absolutely asinine line. I also didn't say he would never play the 2...and if we call it a "3 guard" lineup with say, Akinjo, Gilbert, and Matthews...Matthews is essentially the 3. It's all semantics, but I don't think there will be many instances where Matthews is on the court with only 1 of Gilbert, Akinjo, Vital...whoever else we may have that's a true "guard" on the roster.

LMAO. How long have you been a fan of basketball?

It's not semantics. You keep calling him the 3rd guard in a 3 guard lineup, you're literally proving yourself wrong.

If he's not a guard, then you wouldn't call it a 3 guard lineup. You'd have two guards, a small forward/wing, or whatever you want to call him. But you wouldn't call it a 3 guard lineup. It's been given that name because you didn't have the conventional SF and instead have three guards.

He'll be the 2 if we go big (rarely), and the 2nd/3rd guard most of the time. Matthews is never going to play the 4.

Reaction Score
From the videos I have seen of him he definitely looks like a prototypical 3 man at UCONN. Either way I don't see Carey being directly impacted by his decision as I can see him playing the 3 while Wilson plays the 4 and Carey and Akinjo play the guard positions. It just makes us more flexible with him on board. Still want a faster 2 guard if we can get Carey.

Reaction Score
Not saying they aren’t out there, but does anyone have a link in which it states Matthews has grown to 6’9? I haven’t seen it, but a few people have mentioned it.
He's not 6'9.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

He may see some time as a stretch 4 but he was recruited to play the 2. He's the first long guard we've had in a while.

Reaction Score
LMAO. How long have you been a fan of basketball?

It's not semantics. You keep calling him the 3rd guard in a 3 guard lineup, you're literally proving yourself wrong.

If he's not a guard, then you wouldn't call it a 3 guard lineup. You'd have two guards, a small forward/wing, or whatever you want to call him. But you wouldn't call it a 3 guard lineup. It's been given that name because you didn't have the conventional SF and instead have three guards.

He'll be the 2 if we go big (rarely), and the 2nd/3rd guard most of the time. Matthews is never going to play the 4.

J*sus. You're sort of intolerable. I put "3 guard" in quotes. You can call it whatever you want. It's very much semantics whether we call it a 3 guard lineup, or if it's a standard 1-2-3 with him as the 3. My point is I don't see him playing a role where he's the 2nd ball handler...99% of the time he'll be out there with 2 of Gilbert/Akinjo/Vital/another guard probably not on the roster yet. In many cases last year Vance Jackson was the 4...he's not all the different size wise and ball handling ability wise than Vance.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Hilton units brah. Pay no mind.

Reaction Score
In many cases last year Vance Jackson was the 4...he's not all the different size wise and ball handling ability wise than Vance.
Matthews is listed at 6'6" 175 on WVU's recruitng site.
Jackson is listed at 6'7" 229 on UConn's site.

Not remotely close.

Sid Wilson and Larrier are much closer in size/build (within 1-2" and 10 pounds), and both are listed as "Guard/Forward". That's what Matthews will play. 2/3. Not 4.

Reaction Score
Gentlemen - is there any other reason than "having to be right" that you are getting pissy with each other with this argument about whether Mr. Matthews will be a 2, 3 or 4 here at UConn?

Our head coach has said over and over and over again... he wants players that are versatile and can play multiple positions depending upon situations and matchups within each game to execute his schemes. Matthews' game fits the mold of proto-typical Kevin Ollie player. That is seemingly a great thing for our program's future.

Why would you be stubborn about an argument that has no basis in fact based upon what our coach has said and done for 5 years whenever he had the players and versatility to execute his schemes?

For example: WingU-Conn, you tend to make good points in other threads... so why would you continue to argue that Matthews will never play the 4, when we all saw Niels Giffey play the 5, even in a National Championship game?
"Matthews is never going to play the 4." I will take the other side of that and all but guarantee that at some point Matthews will be playing the 4 in a game... in addition to the 2 and 3. I base that on the only thing that should really count: proof of actual games coached by KO.

Better to speculate on all the different combinations that KO and staff might come up with to best utilize this young man's blossoming talents once he is here, don't you think? Much more fun, too.

Reaction Score
Matthews is listed at 6'6" 175 on WVU's recruitng site.
Jackson is listed at 6'7" 229 on UConn's site.

Not remotely close.

Sid Wilson and Larrier are much closer in size/build (within 1-2" and 10 pounds), and both are listed as "Guard/Forward". That's what Matthews will play. 2/3. Not 4.

Well TL will definitely see some time at PF this year like he did last year. Either way I think EM is being groomed more as a 3 as his handle doesn't seem tight enough to play 2 at UCONN. He might see some spot minutes at the 2 and the 4 but I see him more of a 3. I think Sid Willson will play the 4 when they are in together. That is why I think we can still sell JC on playing the 2 and some 1 here at UCONN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom