Emmitt Matthews Jr Commits to UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Emmitt Matthews Jr Commits to UConn

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think you need to add Sidney Wilson to that list as those who were down hard on the staff couldn't accept the fact they couldn't "close"anything. Seems they lost only to pressure and ultimately the closing resurfaced.

No matter no use talking about it we all wanted the same thing and wins are nice. What's even more important is the right type of kids and kids who want to be here. Seems to be moving in the right direction now and that's fun.

I'll confess that when I first saw the tweet about this, I wasn't excited. Didn't know anything about him, and using our last scholarship on a 100-150 guy at our most crowded position(Polley, Williams, Wilson) didn't seem wise to me. But he seems like a sleeper, and is more of a longer, Jeremy Lamb like SG than a SF.

Ultimately, I'm seeing a pattern. I wouldn't be surprised if he can defend smaller guys. Ollie is essentially building a team that looks like several Villanova teams of the past, or the great 1989 Illinois team. The potential is there for these teams to play very exciting basketball.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It’s the nature of the game and having a lot of similar guys at the same positions. It’s not necessarily a bad thing. The guys who don’t develop can find a more appropriate level of competition. Just to be clear, I am not speculating about any specific player.

We do now have four guys who would consider themselves wing forwards for 18-19. So this is entirely plausible. Matthews may be able to play SG, which helps his case. But he, Wilson, Polley and Williams will be fighting for minutes, and with Vital as well.

Reaction Score
IMG_0573.PNG

Reaction Score
Reminds me when I was out at an Italian restaurant and emailed Scout.com and Evan Daniels about 'it would be cool if u guys did a story on Shabazz committing to UConn (he wasn't as well known since he reclassified) and moved that onto ur home page instead of some schlub who picked Elon!

So many of the recruiting guys r so lazy! Def appreciate guys like Corey Evans et al who work hard.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Positionless basketball ;)

Yes, for the most part. Brad Steven's is doing the same, and if you look at that roster, even without Jae Crowder, it's overloaded with guys 6'6"-6'8" who can do a lot of things. The real key for me will be to see how this team defends. That depth and flexibility needs to be used to send waves of defenders at the opponent.

C

Chief00

You are right Chief00 - you said a player will transfer
You didn't say when and I'll bet in the next 20 years someone will xfer......
Just bustin ya

Before next season.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
What's the obsession with everyone thinking they're a smaller position than they are? Brazdeikis was adamant about the same thing. They're both small forwards.
maybe his skill set is for the 2? he could probably multiple positions.

C

Chief00

I knew what you meant!!!!

That’s was one of my Blaze points - if you have the right academic staff in place - the coaches shouldn’t have to worry about APRs, transfers out that we quite frankly want to happen and borderline transfer in admissions. Can’t say if they agree, but we have a 23 year old guy playing his first college game.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Will we transition from trying to play "small" positionless
Basketball to a tall version? Cool

Reaction Score
Assuming Carey is not coming and Jalen is gone there will be a need for a fourth guard especially a shooting guard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom