ECU Transfer Tristen Newton Currently on Visit to UConn | Page 17 | The Boneyard

ECU Transfer Tristen Newton Currently on Visit to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Hawkins will play more than 25 minutes a game.
I do too but that wasn't the point of my post. I was just showing there's minutes available for quality transfers while still being able to play the freshmen and give sufficient minutes to impact players. Realistically, I don't think Floyd or Clingan see many minutes and we use a 8-man rotation.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If we get Newton and Ramey, are we done? We would only have 11 scholarship players but we know 8 for sure would make the rotation:
Ramey
Newton
Hawkins
Jackson
Sanogo

Clingan
Floyd Jr.
Karaban

And one of Akok/Johnson would as well.

Reaction Score
Tristan Newton is Kadary Richmond 2.0. He knows how to use his size against defenders. Smart player. Hopefully he shoots it better for us.

Same type of player. Newton plays in-control, and makes the right plays and reads. Average athlete and a decent shooter. With they way Newton plays, its best to use him similar to how Nova used Gillespie: back-downs in the post and be able to hit the 3.

PS: One thing that UCONN needs to focus on in point guard position is explosiveness and blow-by ability. We are lacking that and have been lately. A point guard for an elite team that expects to contends needs to have that burst/speed.

Reaction Score
There's a starting job for Ramey.

Was about to say... we literally having a starting SG spot open. Hawkins and Floyd haven't proven a thing yet. They're talented, but I can't imagine either chasing off a veteran effecient 10-12ppg scorer like Ramey

Reaction Score
If we get Newton and Ramey, are we done? We would only have 11 scholarship players but we know 8 for sure would make the rotation:
Ramey
Newton
Hawkins
Jackson
Sanogo

Clingan
Floyd Jr.
Karaban

And one of Akok/Johnson would as well.
Probably bank one scholarship for a possible Castle reclass and then I imagine they get a developmental depth piece who doesn't mind sitting. No clue if it would be another guard or if they go for a SF/PF type of guy though

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
A hypothetical 10-man rotation with Newton and Ramey (MPG):

PG: Newton (15), Ramey (25)
SG: Hawkins (20), Newton (15), Floyd (5)
SF: Jackson (25), Hawkins (5), Floyd (5), Karaban (5)
PF: Akok (20), Johnson (10), Karaban (5), Jackson (5)
C: Sanogo (30), Clingan (10)

Again, hypothetical. But we can add and give solid minutes to two high level transfers while still getting the younger guys minutes. And we don't know if any of the freshmen are ready to contribute - Johnson as well.
I see it more like this

1) Ramey (30) Fig Newton (6) Jackson (4)
2) Fig Newton (24) Hawkins (8) Floyd (4)
3) Hawkins (22) Floyd (12) Jackson (6)
4) Jackson (20) Johnson (8) Karaban / Akok (12)
5) Sanogo (30) Johnson (10)

Breaks down like this
All 5 starters get 30 MPG
Johnson gets 18
Floyd gets 16
Akok or Karaban get/split 12
Developmental year for DC / gets similar emergency minutes Johnson got in BE play last year.

Reaction Score
I see it more like this

1) Ramey (30) Fig Newton (6) Jackson (4)
2) Fig Newton (24) Hawkins (8) Floyd (4)
3) Hawkins (22) Floyd (12) Jackson (6)
4) Jackson (20) Johnson (8) Karaban / Akok (12)
5) Sanogo (30) Johnson (10)

Breaks down like this
All 5 starters get 30 MPG
Johnson gets 18
Floyd gets 16
Akok or Karaban get/split 12
Developmental year for DC / gets similar emergency minutes Johnson got in BE play last year.
Newton is taller than Ramey, but definitely more of a PG. Ramey would likely guard opposing point guards though. So doesn't really matter where you slot them 1/2.

Reaction Score
Hahaha… I love The Boneyard
I wasn’t gonna post the creepy video I took but people were skeptical of my oddly specific experience.

Then again there was some oddly specific car wash stories so I don’t blame anyone for being skeptical

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Was about to say... we literally having a starting SG spot open. Hawkins and Floyd haven't proven a thing yet. They're talented, but I can't imagine either chasing off a veteran effecient 10-12ppg scorer like Ramey
Are we really trying to bring in a transfer over our own highly recruited projected 1st round NBA talent?

This obsession with the transfer portal on this board is kind of weird. We lost both guards and are very fortunate Newton is available. To me he’s a perfect fit, outside of that we are pretty good with WHAT WE RECRUITED.

I haven’t seen Ramey yet (don’t know his first name to look him up) but no way in hell would I start anyone over Jordan Hawkins. At that point, what’s the purpose of recruiting high level players. Would Stephon Castle be next? We aren’t going to get back to developing NBA guys that way.

Reaction Score
Maybe.

I will, however, remain impressed at how far some of you will go to avoid reality.

You guys are creating fictional conversations now. That’s something new.
Hardly. Pick a random page of the DSM5 and you’re likely to find a mental illness that numerous posters have demonstrated at some point.

Reaction Score
Maybe.

I will, however, remain impressed at how far some of you will go to avoid reality.

You guys are creating fictional conversations now. That’s something new.
It’s impossible to I know “what” was said in the end of the year conversation but we can look at the obvious. I’m assuming you just believe Gaffney didn’t want to play for Hurley anymore? He clearly got the hint the minutes wouldn’t be there for him this year or at least that was the intention, same for Diggins. Neither one of them are walking away from a starting pg spot at UConn. Somehow, someway they got the message. Assuming they would walk away from starter minutes at UConn is “avoiding reality”.

Reaction Score
If Newton signs, what is our enticement to get a second quality guard in here? Newton played 34 minutes per game for ECU. Who will transfer to UConn to play 6-8 minutes behind him? Doesn't that restrict us to an Antoine Anderson quality player? Where exactly is the willing backup point who can give us better quality minutes that Gaff?
This is hypothetical, and I have no one in mind, but two things to consider.

1. Maybe Newton played 34 minutes because of a lack of a quality backup, and would be glad to play fewer minutes(like 28-30) so he can get some rest. Cole would have appreciated fewer minutes, but for the lack of quality depth at guard.

2. There may be out there, a grad transfer from a lower level school who starred or was a more than respectable starter, a quality player who could have played elsewhere, and wants the opportunity to play at a top 25 program. Maybe, he has the ability to do it, and will take his chances proving he can perform at a higher level program. If not, he will finally see the ceiling and will live with it, or exceed the doubts of naysayers.

IDK, from the Ivy, Colgate, or from the league Cole played in before UConn. Has no ability to play in Europe, and doesn't care about that.

I don't think this is a fantasy, but may be an option to be discovered, like the concealed diamond.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
It’s impossible to I know “what” was said in the end of the year conversation but we can look at the obvious. I’m assuming you just believe Gaffney didn’t want to play for Hurley anymore? He clearly got the hint the minutes wouldn’t be there for him this year or at least that was the intention, same for Diggins. Neither one of them are walking away from a starting pg spot at UConn. Somehow, someway they got the message. Assuming they would walk away from starter minutes at UConn is “avoiding reality”.
Correct.

And I doubt Hurley ran anyone off the team (we have a guy on scholarship who is still here despite having no path to PT / playing like 20 total minutes the past 3 years).

But even though we don’t know what was said, there is no doubt that Hurley was honest with the guys about how he planned to fill the minutes at guard next year.

If our coach taking his job seriously, by trying to field the best possible team, makes posters on here uncomfortable… tough for them.

Reaction Score
Are we really trying to bring in a transfer over our own highly recruited projected 1st round NBA talent?

This obsession with the transfer portal on this board is kind of weird. We lost both guards and are very fortunate Newton is available. To me he’s a perfect fit, outside of that we are pretty good with WHAT WE RECRUITED.

I haven’t seen Ramey yet (don’t know his first name to look him up) but no way in hell would I start anyone over Jordan Hawkins. At that point, what’s the purpose of recruiting high level players. Would Stephon Castle be next? We aren’t going to get back to developing NBA guys that way.

We need another guard regardless of what Hawkins does. And the kid hasn't proven a thing yet.

Reaction Score
Sir Tristen Newton - Defier of gravity. Hope there will be a new thread when news breaks. Or has it.

Reaction Score

Why do you care if a player comes in from HS or via the portal? What difference does it make? Winning is winning. If Ramey comes in and outplays Hawkins (which I expect him to do) we should play Ramey. This isn’t little league. The best players play.

Reaction Score
Even if he does commit on the visit, the likelihood of an announcement is low. He'd probably going to have someone make an edit for his social media and announce in a few days.
To add to this, news of Ethan Anderson visiting Wyoming was shared by Rothstein noon on Thursday and it he committed about 36 hours after his visit.

Based on that, my guess is we'll get some nice news around lunchtime on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom