ECU Transfer Tristen Newton Currently on Visit to UConn | Page 18 | The Boneyard

ECU Transfer Tristen Newton Currently on Visit to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You don’t know this
Coaches pushed kids out before when transfers had to sit out a year, you don't think coaches are pushing kids to other programs now that they can bring in better transfers who can play immediately?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Do coaches often try to convince players to transfer when they have absolutely no one in hand to replace them?

I am thinking not. This was about 18 hours before Gaffney transferred - pretty clear that no one told him that he was not going to see playing time in a UConn uniform next year.

Just get more skill on the court,” Hurley said. “Having three non-shooters in the game just becomes tough ... I think it’s really important we put guys next to Andre (Jackson) and Jordan (Hawkins), or Corey (Floyd Jr.) or Jalen (Gaffney). We’ve got to make sure it all fits.”

Here's another Hurley quote from the same media session.

Jalen Gaffney and Akok Akok, among the older players with dwindling minutes, “are both at a crossroads here,” Hurley said, “with how the season went for them and what they want to do about it. Guys have come back from their situation and become starters, play significant roles for their teams. Some guys have not.”

That is not a ringing endorsement at all.

Reaction Score
Newton is considered a top 10 player in the portal and one of the top guards. He has played big mins for 3 years at ECU in the AAC conference which is not a cupcake league, as UConn knows from experience. He is a major upgrade over Gaffney who barely saw the floor this year becasue he couldn't capably play the position. Who knows what Diggins may become but he's clearly not ready to run a team.

We had to replace Cole and Newton is clearly capable to play PG competently for UConn so if he signs we can breathe a huge sigh of relief.
FWIW.. Newton's numbers were among the upper tier for PGs in the AAC.. Irrespective of your opinion of the AAC.. Certainly an upgrade from our departed returning guards.. Looks like he can get his shot when he wants it and can play off the ball in a position-less lineup if needed.

Reaction Score
It’s impossible to I know “what” was said in the end of the year conversation but we can look at the obvious. I’m assuming you just believe Gaffney didn’t want to play for Hurley anymore? He clearly got the hint the minutes wouldn’t be there for him this year or at least that was the intention, same for Diggins. Neither one of them are walking away from a starting pg spot at UConn. Somehow, someway they got the message. Assuming they would walk away from starter minutes at UConn is “avoiding reality”.
No info on this at all. But I can believe that players who think they weren’t given a fair chance or don’t like how they were used saying I’m done (not) playing here. Not having to sit when u transfer makes it very easy

Reaction Score
Here's another Hurley quote from the same media session.

'Jalen Gaffney and Akok Akok, among the older players with dwindling minutes, “are both at a crossroads here,” Hurley said, “with how the season went for them and what they want to do about it. Guys have come back from their situation and become starters, play significant roles for their teams. Some guys have not.”'

That is not a ringing endorsement at all.
You can't reason with this guy anymore. He's so far off the deep end that he'll be rooting against Newton and Ramey (or whoever) just so he doesn't have to admit he was wrong. It weird though, his issue is that there is a gap on the roster - in April - and he would rather have 2 crappy guards than have the staff recruit 2 great guards from the portal.

Reaction Score
No info on this at all. But I can believe that players who think they weren’t given a fair chance or don’t like how they were used saying I’m done (not) playing here. Not having to sit when u transfer makes it very easy
Exactly if they feel slighted or don’t think they were used/developed correctly it’s in their best interest to look elsewhere. Doesn’t matter if Hurley promised starting minutes if the player doesn’t trust the system/coach they are going to look for a situation that best fits their needs/wants

Reaction Score
Let me put it this way, if Hurley told Diggins he was starting next season, do you think Diggins would still leave? His newest offers are Penn St, and then A10 mid majors. You think he would rather start at any of those places over UConn? No way. It's pretty obvious that Hurley told them he is recruiting over them We don't need Hurley saying that out loud to figure out what type of conversation he had with them.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Are we really trying to bring in a transfer over our own highly recruited projected 1st round NBA talent?

This obsession with the transfer portal on this board is kind of weird. We lost both guards and are very fortunate Newton is available. To me he’s a perfect fit, outside of that we are pretty good with WHAT WE RECRUITED.

I haven’t seen Ramey yet (don’t know his first name to look him up) but no way in hell would I start anyone over Jordan Hawkins. At that point, what’s the purpose of recruiting high level players. Would Stephon Castle be next? We aren’t going to get back to developing NBA guys that way.

Reaction Score
Let me put it this way, if Hurley told Diggins he was starting next season, do you think Diggins would still leave? His newest offers are Penn St, and then A10 mid majors. You think he would rather start at any of those places over UConn? No way. It's pretty obvious that Hurley told them he is recruiting over them We don't need Hurley saying that out loud to figure out what type of conversation he had with them.
If you were a highly recruited PG, we’re never given a chance or real playing time and saw the entire year there was a glaring weakness at the PG spot….

How in your right mind would you think you’re going to have the opportunity and have playing time guaranteed. Diggins probably believes his development was hampered this past year and that’s why he’s leaving to find a new coach/program that he feels more aligned with

Reaction Score
If you were a highly recruited PG, we’re never given a chance or real playing time and saw the entire year there was a glaring weakness at the PG spot….

How in your right mind would you think you’re going to have the opportunity and have playing time guaranteed. Diggins probably believes his development was hampered this past year and that’s why he’s leaving to find a new coach/program that he feels more aligned with
Take another look at the schools he's being recruited by, schools certainly don't agree with your take

Reaction Score
FWIW.. Newton's numbers were among the upper tier for PGs in the AAC.. Irrespective of your opinion of the AAC.. Certainly an upgrade from our departed returning guards.. Looks like he can get his shot when he wants it and can play off the ball in a position-less lineup if needed.
Newton was third in the American in scoring average, second in assist average, first in ft shooting %, and sixth in fg %.

Madmann thinks he's just an A10 level player, whatever that means. Well Newton played against one A-10 team this past season, Davidson. He dropped 28 pts., 5 assists, 5 rebounds on the best team in the A10.

Reaction Score

Both things can be true. DH could have got a whole year of watching him in practice and thought he wasn’t as good as he expected, and he can’t play at this level.
Sool could think that he should have played & he lost a year of development.
This isn’t a one or the other thing

Reaction Score
Do coaches often try to convince players to transfer when they have absolutely no one in hand to replace them?

I am thinking not. This was about 18 hours before Gaffney transferred - pretty clear that no one told him that he was not going to see playing time in a UConn uniform next year.

Just get more skill on the court,” Hurley said. “Having three non-shooters in the game just becomes tough ... I think it’s really important we put guys next to Andre (Jackson) and Jordan (Hawkins), or Corey (Floyd Jr.) or Jalen (Gaffney). We’ve got to make sure it all fits.”
Jim boeheim does it annually.

Reaction Score

This has been repeated 1000x already. I'll make it 1001. When Gaffney's minutes decreased towards the end of the year, and those minutes didn't go to Diggins, what does that tell you? Hurley has said - and this is a direct quote - “If there’s a guy that’s killing it in practice there’d be mutiny on this ship if I was holding a guy back. You’ve got to be patient and become a good player and force your way out on the court by how you show up for practice every day. And when you consistently show us that you’re a better option than what we’re sending out on the court, then you go out there.”

So spare me with this "he was never given a chance" crap. Diggins was a recruiting miss. Plain and simple. The recruiting services evaluated him wrong, the staff evaluated him wrong too. His recruitment was mostly done virtually because of covid. If you want to fault the staff for missing on him, fine, that's a fair argument to make. Diggins can leave and go start at a mid major, but that's because Hurley and Diggins came to a mutual understanding that he was never going to be given the keys to this program. I can guarantee you that if Diggins was choosing between starting at UConn, or starting at La Salle, he wouldn't have to think twice. But the first option was never going to happen

Reaction Score
This has been repeated 1000x already. I'll make it 1001. When Gaffney's minutes decreased towards the end of the year, and those minutes didn't go to Diggins, what does that tell you? Hurley has said - and this is a direct quote - “If there’s a guy that’s killing it in practice there’d be mutiny on this ship if I was holding a guy back. You’ve got to be patient and become a good player and force your way out on the court by how you show up for practice every day. And when you consistently show us that you’re a better option than what we’re sending out on the court, then you go out there.”

So spare me with this "he was never given a chance" crap. Diggins was a recruiting miss. Plain and simple. The recruiting services evaluated him wrong, the staff evaluated him wrong too. His recruitment was mostly done virtually because of covid. If you want to fault the staff for missing on him, fine, that's a fair argument to make. Diggins can leave and go start at a mid major, but that's because Hurley and Diggins came to a mutual understanding that he was never going to be given the keys to this program. I can guarantee you that if Diggins was choosing between starting at UConn, or starting at La Salle, he wouldn't have to think twice. But the first option was never going to happen
This is where you are wrong. If you don’t trust the coach and how he used you/developed you it’s best to go elsewhere where you have more faith/trust in the coaches and team.

I left the largest company in the northeast in my niche industry (one of the largest nationwide) and took a 50% pay cut to join a MUCH MUCH smaller company. The company I left begged me to stay and offered me more money to stay. I left because I don’t trust that company and how they operate and I’d rather take a pay cut and help build the small company to steal market share year in and year out and watch the big guy squirm.

You have no idea what conversations were had but I have a good hunch that Diggins felt he deserved more of a chance and felt it was best to look elsewhere

From Diggins high school coach:

“A combination of (wanting to play) closer to home, a little bit more playing time,” Mosco said. “He wasn’t chased out. It was ‘Sool’s decision. Danny (Hurley) wanted him to stay.”

Reaction Score
I see it more like this

1) Ramey (30) Fig Newton (6) Jackson (4)
2) Fig Newton (24) Hawkins (8) Floyd (4)
3) Hawkins (22) Floyd (12) Jackson (6)
4) Jackson (20) Johnson (8) Karaban / Akok (12)
5) Sanogo (30) Johnson (10)

Breaks down like this
All 5 starters get 30 MPG
Johnson gets 18
Floyd gets 16
Akok or Karaban get/split 12
Developmental year for DC / gets similar emergency minutes Johnson got in BE play last year.
AJ will never see a minute of PG. Can you see him bringing up the ball the length of the court? No

Reaction Score
You have no idea what conversations were had but I have a good hunch that Diggins felt he deserved more of a chance and felt it was best to look elsewhere

“A combination of (wanting to play) closer to home, a little bit more playing time,” Mosco said. “He wasn’t chased out. It was ‘Sool’s decision. Danny (Hurley) wanted him to stay.”
Neither do you. Sool feeling like he wasn’t given a chance and and being told he wasn’t starting caliber at this level are not mutually exclusive. It should be blatantly obvious to everyone that Sool was told he wasn’t starting next year at a minimum. I don’t doubt that Hurley may have loved to have him back as a developmental guy.

Reaction Score
This is where you are wrong. If you don’t trust the coach and how he used you/developed you it’s best to go elsewhere where you have more faith/trust in the coaches and team.

I left the largest company in the northeast in my niche industry (one of the largest nationwide) and took a 50% pay cut to join a MUCH MUCH smaller company. The company I left begged me to stay and offered me more money to stay. I left because I don’t trust that company and how they operate and I’d rather take a pay cut and help build the small company to steal market share year in and year out and watch the big guy squirm.

His high school coach also said Diggins is 100% committed to staying at UConn and Rahsool knows his time will come.

If you can't see what happened with Sool and Gaff you're blind. Hurley needed to bring in better guards and that's what he's going to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom