ECU Transfer Tristen Newton Currently on Visit to UConn | Page 20 | The Boneyard

ECU Transfer Tristen Newton Currently on Visit to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well we haven’t won depending on transfers yet. I don’t expect him to outplay a projected first round pick. If Hawkins isn’t much better next year that’s on Hurley. At some point you have to be able to recruit and coach up guys you get to come in from HS.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Navery, I’ve really been biting my tongue with you. Do you consider losing in the first round winning?

It seems like you have low expectations for our program. I think you’ve been a fan since the Ollie days but us who got to see Calhoun’s run have much higher expectations Bud.

Reaction Score
Well we haven’t won depending on transfers yet. I don’t expect him to outplay a projected first round pick. If Hawkins isn’t much better next year that’s on Hurley. At some point you have to be able to recruit and coach up guys you get to come in from HS.
In all actuality, what is your standard for success? Jim Calhoun level?

Second question..Why are you doubting Hurley?

Diggins left without playing enough for the benefit of your eye test? Jalen Gaffney transferring, when he clearly didn't pass the eye test? Do you blame Akok's injuries on Hurley. Or do you blame covid eligibility allowing Polley and Whaley to come back on Hurley too? Where do you think we would have been without them this year?

Is converting Isaiah Whaley into DPOY, developing a lottery pick out of bouknight, 2 first team- all big east players this season including a top 5 center in the country not enough for you in 4 years?

We have depended on transfers before, go ask Sterling Gibbs and Shonn Miller.

Clown post.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Was about to say... we literally having a starting SG spot open. Hawkins and Floyd haven't proven a thing yet. They're talented, but I can't imagine either chasing off a veteran effecient 10-12ppg scorer like Ramey
And if they do ( and I think Hawkins will) how great will that be!!!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
In all actuality, what is your standard for success? Jim Calhoun level?

Second question..Why are you doubting Hurley?

Diggins left without playing enough for the benefit of your eye test? Jalen Gaffney transferring, when he clearly didn't pass the eye test? Do you blame Akok's injuries on Hurley. Or do you blame covid eligibility allowing Polley and Whaley to come back on Hurley too? Where do you think we would have been without them this year?

Is converting Isaiah Whaley into DPOY, developing a lottery pick out of bouknight, 2 first team- all big east players this season including a top 5 center in the country not enough for you in 4 years?

We have depended on transfers before, go ask Sterling Gibbs and Shonn Miller.

Clown post.
So not making it out the first round is okay with you too?

Everyone you just named didn’t make it out of the first weekend in the tournament. If that’s okay with you then yeah we aren’t going to agree with much.

Hurley has been UPSET both times in the tournament. So yeah, he hasn’t earned the benefit of the doubt with me just yet. Let him get some tournament wins first. Especially in games we are favored with better talent.

Also, Gibbs and Miller were FAR from the best players on the team. You could’ve named Rodney Purvis instead.

Reaction Score
Navery, I’ve really been biting my tongue with you. Do you consider losing in the first round winning?

It seems like you have low expectations for our program. I think you’ve been a fan since the Ollie days but us who got to see Calhoun’s run have much higher expectations Bud.
No I'm not happy with losing in the 1st round, I want to win a championship. I think your opinion on transfers is objectively idiotic and invalidates anything else you say. Those are mutually exclusive statements

Reaction Score

I have probably taken more crap than most people on here because I always have the championship or bust mentality. Last year was a failure, no way around that. But looking back on it, the roster construction last year was so flawed that it's honestly impressive that Hurley had us in the top 20 for most of the year. People forget that coaches can still grow and learn too. So hopefully he now knows how important roster construction is. Hurley recognized that he needed to upgrade the roster this offseason, and bringing in Newton + another impact scoring guard is exactly what he had to do.

Hurley knows that to stay at UConn, he has to start winning in March. If he still cannot even get us to a S16 after this upcoming season or the 2023 season, he is probably gone.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I have probably taken more crap than most people on here because I always have the championship or bust mentality. Last year was a failure, no way around that. But looking back on it, the roster construction last year was so flawed that it's honestly impressive that Hurley had us in the top 20 for most of the year. People forget that coaches can still grow and learn too. So hopefully he now knows how important roster construction is. Hurley recognized that he needed to upgrade the roster this offseason, and bringing in Newton + another impact scoring guard is exactly what he had to do.

Hurley knows that to stay at UConn, he has to start winning in March. If he still cannot even get us to a S16 after this upcoming season or the 2023 season, he is probably gone.
Probably gone is hyperbole.

Reaction Score
Probably gone is hyperbole.
Depends on the $$ situation. We may not be able to afford another buyout lol. Let's just hope he starts winning next year and we don't even need to have the conversation

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
No I'm not happy with losing in the 1st round, I want to win a championship. I think your opinion on transfers is objectively idiotic and invalidates anything else you say. Those are mutually exclusive statements
What in what you called a clown post was wrong. If you aren’t happy with losing in the 1st round then so far this depending on transfers for us has been a failure. When I say depending on them I mean making them a top guy like RJ and Tyrese were. Not role players like Miller and Kromah.

If Hawkins is not a top guy next year it’s coaching malpractice by Hurley. There’s no way around it. He has all the talent. Coach.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Our roster was crazy flawed but talented nonetheless. He decided to roll out lineups that didn’t make sense, not develop his guards, and value things that didn’t help us win. He made bad decisions this past year and it resulted in a very disappointing season. This years roster should help with his decision making though. Hopefully it results in some success.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No. Gaffney and Diggins are not turning down being a starting PG at UConn for LaSalle because they were upset they didn’t play last year. What are we even talking about? They left because they didn’t think they’d play this year. Why are you bending yourselves into mental pretzels to explain away the obvious?
As much as you feel strongly with this opinion there are some who feel that Sool could have been more than acceptable if given a fair shot. There are quite a few affiliated with the program that feel he was a victim of Harley’s stubborn personality in being loyal to Gaff and not giving the 1st year players enough time early in the season. I agree fully with the latter that DH enjoyed the 50 point drubbings but we did see Gaffs PT dwindle. Who knows. New season with lots of question marks

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You can't reason with this guy anymore. He's so far off the deep end that he'll be rooting against Newton and Ramey (or whoever) just so he doesn't have to admit he was wrong. It weird though, his issue is that there is a gap on the roster - in April - and he would rather have 2 crappy guards than have the staff recruit 2 great guards from the portal.
Calling both Gaff and Sool crappy is pure BS. And please show me 2 GREAT guards in the portal. You use descriptives like little kid. Gaff and Sool don’t suck and Newton isn’t great. If Newton plays for UConn fine and I wish Sool and Gaff the best

Reaction Score
I don't get the infatuation with Ramey. I think he'd be a good get as a backup but I wouldn't want him playing 25 minutes for us
Idk If im reading too much into it, but maybe that is the plan. Hurley is a big culture guy, he did not bring any transfers in last year because of it. We need a PG since we have like zero on the roster now, and that is why we are all in on Newton. Maybe Hurley isnt looking to bring in another guy who is going to take all the minutes from the other guys already on the team, while still adding a skilled player that can help the team win.

Reaction Score
I don't get the infatuation with Ramey. I think he'd be a good get as a backup but I wouldn't want him playing 25 minutes for us
He’s started pretty much every game for 4 years straight for Texas and has been All Conference or All Conference Honorable Mention for 3 straight years in arguably the best conference in college bball over that stretch. What more could you want

Reaction Score
As much as you feel strongly with this opinion there are some who feel that Sool could have been more than acceptable if given a fair shot. There are quite a few affiliated with the program that feel he was a victim of Harley’s stubborn personality in being loyal to Gaff and not giving the 1st year players enough time early in the season. I agree fully with the latter that DH enjoyed the 50 point drubbings but we did see Gaffs PT dwindle. Who knows. New season with lots of question marks
This is total nonsense. His inability to get on the floor had nothing to do with Hurley's stubborness and more to do with what he did while on it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Steph Curry’s junior year Davidson team lost in the 2nd round of the NIT. What a bum right? Couldn’t even win the Southern conference
Now we are equating Newton with Curry. Wow. Where has this guy been hiding

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This is total nonsense. His inability to get on the floor had nothing to do with Hurley's stubborness and more to do with what he did while on it.
You listen to your people and I’ll stick with mine. Did the word stubborn hurt you? Plus it was talked about in relation to the early season games.

Reaction Score
You listen to your people and I’ll stick with mine. Did the word stubborn hurt you? Plus it was talked about in relation to the early season games.
It’s laughable to think Hurley had this amazing pg on his bench who he thought would help him win and just said “nah”. I was in the camp of wanting to see Diggins vs the cupcakes. But there is a very likely reality where he just isn’t good enough. The best school offering him is Penn State.

Reaction Score
There's no chance this guy is a UConn fan anymore. It's pretty funny to watch
Did he just nuke his entire account?? All of his posts are gone. Or maybe he blocked me lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom