ECU Transfer Tristen Newton Currently on Visit to UConn | Page 19 | The Boneyard

ECU Transfer Tristen Newton Currently on Visit to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Coaches pushed kids out before when transfers had to sit out a year, you don't think coaches are pushing kids to other programs now that they can bring in better transfers who can play immediately?
I don’t think it’s common for coaches to tell entire positions on their roster to transfer.

Maybe a player is recruited over, but having to build an entire position from nothing is not something coaches bring upon themselves often.

Reaction Score
AJ will never see a minute of PG. Can you see him bringing up the ball the length of the court? No

200.gif

Reaction Score
A hypothetical 10-man rotation with Newton and Ramey (MPG):

PG: Newton (15), Ramey (25)
SG: Hawkins (20), Newton (15), Floyd (5)
SF: Jackson (25), Hawkins (5), Floyd (5), Karaban (5)
PF: Akok (20), Johnson (10), Karaban (5), Jackson (5)
C: Sanogo (30), Clingan (10)

Again, hypothetical. But we can add and give solid minutes to two high level transfers while still getting the younger guys minutes. And we don't know if any of the freshmen are ready to contribute - Johnson as well.
I think that under-sells Karaban and possibly Floyd as well.

I also don't see Akok getting that many minutes (if we're serious about 4-out, Karaban is going to get more run there), or Johnson being effective playing alongside Sanogo/Clingan. One of those 4 bigs is going to get squeezed out, effectively.

Reaction Score
Ever since I read that one post that asked if getting one guy will hurt us getting a second guy I lost focus.
We lost 4 guards, adding 1 from redshirt and somehow adding 1 transfer guard will make it so that there are no more minutes for guards. Sorry. It's science.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s common for coaches to tell entire positions on their roster to transfer.

Maybe a player is recruited over, but having to build an entire position from nothing is not something coaches bring upon themselves often.
I think you're right but I'm not convinced that isn't what happened here. From the outside right now it looks like we have no PG, but if Hurley said we're bringing in 2 guards from the portal and Gaffney/Diggins decided to leave I think that is recruiting over them like you said

Reaction Score
I think you're right but I'm not convinced that isn't what happened here. From the outside right now it looks like we have no PG, but if Hurley said we're bringing in 2 guards from the portal and Gaffney/Diggins decided to leave I think that is recruiting over them like you said
I bet Hurley would have preferred at least one of Gaffney/Diggins to stay, even if to be a back up.

Reaction Score
My guess is Hurley indicated he’d be happy to have Sool stick around as a developmental guy who could work his way into a role as an upperclassman. I’ll put it this way. I’m sure the two of them transferring neither shocked Hurley, nor kept him up at night.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hurley said we're going to play 4 out...the best lineup for that is most likely Newton at the 1, Ramey/Floyd at the 2, Hawkins at the 3, Jackson 4, Sanogo 5. Karaban at the 4 and 3, Samson at the 4 and 5, Akok at the 4, Clingan at the 5.

Versatility is the key, we only had one guy on the team who could consistently handle and create buckets last season in Cole. Newton, Ramey, Floyd, Jackson should all be able to do that and they all have size. Ramey hasn't been to campus yet but it's clear we're zeroing in on him and have a ton of playing time for him.
I feel like Karaban is exclusively three at this point in time. If you’re playing for out I’m not sure how much that matters, at least on the offensive end.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe.

I will, however, remain impressed at how far some of you will go to avoid reality.

You guys are creating fictional conversations now. That’s something new.
Pssh, It’s not even close to being new. Are you even vaguely familiar with the carwash meme here in The Boneyard?

Reaction Score
Still kind of confused. The Yard was banging on Gaff/Sool as PG solutions for this year.. They're gone. DH is following the advice of the Yard and looking at the portal for player fits. Has even had an on campus visit and dinner with one of the top rated available portal guards.. Went very well per respected insiders. Sounds like we may have a solution for our highest roster need. Still more work to do with other roster needs.

And we're still banging on DH for putting us in this situation and whether Andre can help bring the ball up when needed because last year's team was deficient in that area?

Call me crazy but I'm liking the way DH/staff are going about their business and getting closer to serious upgrades to the roster for next season.

Reaction Score
This is where you are wrong. If you don’t trust the coach and how he used you/developed you it’s best to go elsewhere where you have more faith/trust in the coaches and team.

I left the largest company in the northeast in my niche industry (one of the largest nationwide) and took a 50% pay cut to join a MUCH MUCH smaller company. The company I left begged me to stay and offered me more money to stay. I left because I don’t trust that company and how they operate and I’d rather take a pay cut and help build the small company to steal market share year in and year out and watch the big guy squirm.

You have no idea what conversations were had but I have a good hunch that Diggins felt he deserved more of a chance and felt it was best to look elsewhere

From Diggins high school coach:

“A combination of (wanting to play) closer to home, a little bit more playing time,” Mosco said. “He wasn’t chased out. It was ‘Sool’s decision. Danny (Hurley) wanted him to stay.”
You seem like a savvy businessman. Ergo, you should realize when people are doing “polite speak” to the media.

You can read between the lines of both Hurley’s quotes and Rahsool’s HS coach to gain some insights on the real situation behind the scenes

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We lost 4 guards, adding 1 from redshirt and somehow adding 1 transfer guard will make it so that there are no more minutes for guards. Sorry. It's science.
There is room for another one but one we lost didn’t play. Adding Newton and Floyd would replace two. Hawkins will get more minutes from 14.7 to near 30. So for Floyd and [other guard] there are about 25 mpg between them.
Cole 33.5 mpg
Martin 32.1. (Some at 3)
Gaff 12.8
Sool 5.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Probably bank one scholarship for a possible Castle reclass and then I imagine they get a developmental depth piece who doesn't mind sitting. No clue if it would be another guard or if they go for a SF/PF type of guy though
I’d get another PG from the portal. A 4 year kid that needs development. I’d do this because I never want to be caught short handed and without guards again. Especially PG’s. This can not happen to Hurley ever again.

Reaction Score
No. Gaffney and Diggins are not turning down being a starting PG at UConn for LaSalle because they were upset they didn’t play last year. What are we even talking about? They left because they didn’t think they’d play this year. Why are you bending yourselves into mental pretzels to explain away the obvious?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No. Gaffney and Diggins are not turning down being a starting PG at UConn for LaSalle because they were upset they didn’t play last year. What are we even talking about? They left because they didn’t think they’d play this year. Why are you bending yourselves into mental pretzels to explain away the obvious?
They will never let it go lmao. Some people can never admit they were wrong. They seriously believe Diggins and Gaffney will end up at a mid major because Hurley stinks and not the other way around hahaha

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Why do you care if a player comes in from HS or via the portal? What difference does it make? Winning is winning. If Ramey comes in and outplays Hawkins (which I expect him to do) we should play Ramey. This isn’t little league. The best players play.
Well we haven’t won depending on transfers yet. I don’t expect him to outplay a projected first round pick. If Hawkins isn’t much better next year that’s on Hurley. At some point you have to be able to recruit and coach up guys you get to come in from HS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom