Dorka Should Start | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dorka Should Start

Reaction Score
Ark. Posts Jersey Wolfenbarger 6' 5" and Maryam Dauda 6' 4" are both Freshman and Ark has never been a Defensive team so our Posts should have a big advantage but a nice test to see who handles big games better..

Reaction Score
Ark. Posts Jersey Wolfenbarger 6' 5" and Maryam Dauda 6' 4" are both Freshman and Ark has never been a Defensive team so our Posts should have a big advantage but a nice test to see who handles big games better.
did you watch last years game. We should have dominated the inside and it was awful. Dorka is a better all around player, but liv will continue to start until she loses the spot. It’s her to keep or lose. Time will tell

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
No in 2000 he sat 2 Sr. Captains/Starters for underclassmen. Liv is overrated and it will show in the OC schedule.
You do understand what the phrase "most of the time" means?

Reaction Score
Regardless of what happens this year I think Dorka is the odds on favorite to be the starting C next year, and believing that will make it very very likely she returns next year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Regardless of what happens this year I think Dorka is the odds on favorite to be the starting C next year, and believing that will make it very very likely she returns next year.
:eek: Right. That kind of thinking (wait until next year) usually works out pretty well for UCONN- Morgan Tuck, Natalie Butler, Azura Stevens, & Megan Walker didn't.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I disagree-While I think Dorka is light years ahead of Liv on offense, ONO is such a good passer and facilitator from the high post. She will work perfectly with Alliyah on the low block and her ability to hit the guards on the wing or when they slash to teh basket.

Dorka is perfect off the bench. She is GOOD. Can you imagine preparing for us when Dorka and Azzi are bench players?
Right now, I believe Liv should start the next game. I agree with something Oldude said prior to the Fort Hays State game: No one should lose or gain a starting spot based on their play in this exhibition game.

If Dorka out plays her again in this game, then you have to start her against Minnesota. You’re supposed to put your best 5 on the floor to begin the game. If that happens, Liv can still help coming off the bench.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Liv started the last 3 years because Geno didn’t have a choice. This year he does. As he said in a presser at the Big East media day: I won’t have to figure out who should start, the players will. It makes perfect sense.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And I thought she made some nice post moves, (I think) at least two were through double teams. Dorka is the “new toy” everyone is excited about. They just play a lot different, Dorka is much quicker in the post and Liv is really patient.
I agree with everything @oldude said. Let’s see how next Sunday goes.
A "new toy" would not have been necessary if the old one was serviceable, so perhaps this excitement is justified.

Reaction Score
:eek: Right. That kind of thinking (wait until next year) usually works out pretty well for UCONN- Morgan Tuck, Natalie Butler, Azura Stevens, & Megan Walker didn't.
Morgan Tuck and Megan Walker were already starters when they left. Natalie Butler probably was never going to be a starter here, and went to a school where she could be a star. Azura Stevens however is a good example, because she probably would have started the next year if she had stayed, but was still drafted pretty high as a great sub on a great program.

If Dorka is the best player this year, go ahead and start her. Geno seems to grant seniors and incumbents an advantage that is probably more than I would give, but if it is decisive I think he will make the change. But I think Dorka is likely to return for other reasons.

I think both Liv and Dorka are possible long term WNBA players, but far from locks, more like marginal prospects that may not be picked in the first round, but are very likely to be able to play for pay in Europe as their floor. A Uconn pedigree as a star player on the bench or as a starter helps your chances of employment there.

A player who is fairly certain they have a WNBA future is more likely to jump into the draft. Morgan, Megan, and Azura were all in that category. Dorka is not considered at that level, at least yet. In addition she is in grad school this year, not starting next year, so presumably she is only one additional year from a master's degree, which makes staying another year (probably as a starter) much more logical.

But that doesn't mean I think she shouldn't start this year if she is better. I just think the burden of proof for Geno when bumping a senior incumbent is high but that either way, next year she is the probable starter, and probable to return.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’m surprised this thread took so long to start. It’s been 2 hrs since UConn beat up on a much smaller DII team.

Dorka may become a starter at some point this season. But I will guarantee that Geno will not make that decision based on her performance in an exhibition game against an overmatched opponent.
The Arkansas game, and the 3 games in the Bahamas will give Geno a large enough sample size to make evaluations relative to potential changes in the starting line up as well as bench rotation. We’ll see the same things he does.

Reaction Score
I don't have a dog in this fight so perhaps that makes me more objective. Just watching the game it seems to me that Dorka is much more athletic than liv. I watch how a player moves and Dorka is so flued. She makes Liv seem mechanical by comparison. Frankly just watching her in that game elevated my opinion as to Uconns potiential. Their weak spot was the center position and Dorka not only adds depth but she is better than Liv. She certainly covers more ground defensively. I think her impact for Uconn for this season is being highly underrated. I believe she might have the greatest impact of all the new additions being that it is at a position that needed it the most.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No in 2000 he sat 2 Sr. Captains/Starters for underclassmen. Liv is overrated and it will show in the OC schedule.
1999-2000 season or 2000-2001 season??? And which two Captain/Starters??

Reaction Score
I think Geno is very cognizant of not damaging anyone's confidence (keeping the team's goals in mind), and will stick with the current lineup, but just allocate playing time based on performance. I would assume that if Dorka continues to impress, she may not immediately start, but take more playing time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck and Megan Walker were already starters when they left. Natalie Butler probably was never going to be a starter here, and went to a school where she could be a star. Azura Stevens however is a good example, because she probably would have started the next year if she had stayed, but was still drafted pretty high as a great sub on a great program.

If Dorka is the best player this year, go ahead and start her. Geno seems to grant seniors and incumbents an advantage that is probably more than I would give, but if it is decisive I think he will make the change. But I think Dorka is likely to return for other reasons.

I think both Liv and Dorka are possible long term WNBA players, but far from locks, more like marginal prospects that may not be picked in the first round, but are very likely to be able to play for pay in Europe as their floor. A Uconn pedigree as a star player on the bench or as a starter helps your chances of employment there.

A player who is fairly certain they have a WNBA future is more likely to jump into the draft. Morgan, Megan, and Azura were all in that category. Dorka is not considered at that level, at least yet. In addition she is in grad school this year, not starting next year, so presumably she is only one additional year from a master's degree, which makes staying another year (probably as a starter) much more logical.

But that doesn't mean I think she shouldn't start this year if she is better. I just think the burden of proof for Geno when bumping a senior incumbent is high but that either way, next year she is the probable starter, and probable to return.
Keep in mind that just as Dorka has an option to return to UCONN next year, so does Liv. Which further supports my contention that we need to be playing for this season and as @Carnac stated "let next year take care of itself."
I don't think who starts for UCONN should have anything to do with WNBA draft stock but since you took it there, Liv has some significant work to do to improve her WNBA draft stock. One mock draft currently has her projected to be a 3rd round WNBA and has (6) players at the C or PF position projected ahead of Liv.
Sharika Austin Mississippi :Jessica Carter Mississippi State :Lorela Cubaj-Georgia Tech :Ellissa Cunane NCSt :Monika Cziinano-Iowa :Queen Egbo- Baylor

This mock draft did not include Dorka but it will be real interesting to see where Dorka would be projected compared to Liv.

Reaction Score
DId the commenters here SEE the game or is this based on an audio feed ?
Watched the game. Dorka is more mobile, more aggressive, has a good outside shot, and plays better defense. Doesn't matter who the opposition is. She is just more talented. Ducharmes is tremendous as well. Quick, agile, and she should show a good outside shot as well, based on her past.

ONO kept getting blocked out, missed outside shots, just like last year. Dorka's the better player.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Right now, I believe Liv should start the next game. I agree with something Oldude said prior to the Fort Hays State game: No one should lose or gain a starting spot based on their play in this exhibition game.

If Dorka out plays her again in this game, then you have to start her against Minnesota. You’re supposed to put your best 5 on the floor to begin the game. If that happens, Liv can still help coming off the bench.
As long as Dorka is not dramatically better than Liv and no way such a small sample size proves this, I think Liv will start but minutes will be strongly based on that particular games performance. I think the evidence is clear Geno puts value (emotional and otherwise) on players who have put in the minutes in the program as one of the team leaders and will give the benefit of the doubt to them

I know there is precedence such as Kelly Schumacher but in 2020, WNBA (career) opportunities which was not an issue on the 2000 team do enter the decision process in 2020.

UConn may be as close to a pure meritocracy as you can get but there are other human issues to consider.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A "new toy" would not have been necessary if the old one was serviceable, so perhaps this excitement is justified.
I agree excitement is justified. Calling Liv unserviceable seems a bit harsh though. Calling for Dorka to start after watching one game against a D2 opponent is an exaggeration.
Let’s see how they both fair in the tournament. I’d love for Dorka to prove she’s better than Liv, that’s only going to make us that much better. I just haven’t seen enough yet. They looked pretty even in the exhibition against a much lesser opponent, they just have different styles.

Reaction Score
Shameful we're asking and responding to a question like this.
Liv has earned her right and contributed to a team we all know and love. Let's Go Liv!!!

The post shouldn't be about who should sit or start but more about the fact that we potentially have depth at a position we been lacking at since 2017. 17 and 18 classes was all perimeter players and it left us with a huge void. Liv shouldering the middle duties solo is a heavy burden, most wouldn't survive. Hopefully The young Post (DeBerry, Paith) learn from the Bermuda Triangle and help set the table for the next 4 years.

UCONN future is bright with the Bermuda Triangle (Liv, Aliyah, Dorka) sprinkled with DeBerry and Paith occasionally.

Reaction Score
Has there ever been a player that receives such disrespect from UConn fans than live?? And @Fairfield Fan sayin Piath and DeBerry looked better than Liv in the game and my be better at the of the year. Ya'll talk about the Tennessee fans really need to look in the mirror. And ya may need your UConn fan card taken away!!

Reaction Score
There was no anointing and yours was the first post to invoke Tina as a comparison for Dorka. The BY is a very knowledge group and just in case we were to forget we have 3 years of mostly forgettable performances by Liv in big games. I believe Dorka and Liv both played against the same Ft. Hays team so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make by pointing out the height of the Ft. Hays fron line. You and many others have a very valid point: Dorka or Liv starting should not be based on who played better in a Ft. Hays exhibition game. So let's not based in on that, let's base it on who has accomplished more since both players have played roughly the same amount of NCAA D1 games.
No, let's base their playing time on how they do as we move thru the season. My guess is that they both will play lots of minutes, as they are both good players. Since you mention what they have accomplished already, looking at their stats from last season, Liv had the better shooting %s, from the field, from 3, and from the foul line. Somewhat concerning is Dorka shooting about 43% from the line. Dorka had very few blocks, very few assists, while Live had 53 blocks, and averaged about 3 assists. Dorka's 11 rebounds may have been partly because they didn't seem to have any other major rebounders. Liv averaged 8, on a team with 5 other players averaging close to 5 or more. So let us see how their seasons progress. Their different styles may very well complement each other.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No, let's base their playing time on how they do as we move thru the season. My guess is that they both will play lots of minutes, as they are both good players. Since you mention what they have accomplished already, looking at their stats from last season, Liv had the better shooting %s, from the field, from 3, and from the foul line. Somewhat concerning is Dorka shooting about 40% from the line. Dorka had very few blocks, very few assists, while Live had 53 blocks, and averaged about 3 assists. Dorka's 11 rebounds may have been partly because they didn't seem to have any other major rebounders. Liv averaged 8, on a team with 5 other players averaging close to 5 or more. So let us see how their seasons progress. Their different styles may very well complement each other.
Fair enough. Another part of what they accomplish can be viewed in comparison of conference played in. Dorka was 1st team All Big 10 (2X). Liv was not 1st team in the BE or the American which hopefully you would agree should have been easier to accomplish. Dorka played in a conference which produced 5 tournament teams last year (Iowa, Indiana, Northwestern, Maryland, & Michigan). Among the 5 Big 10 Teams only Northwestern failed to advance to the sweet 16. So put another way 1/4 (25%) of the teams in the sweet sixteen were from the conference in which Dorka played and was named All conference.
Dorka FT shooting % is a concern but so is Liv's propensity for disappearing in big games.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that just as Dorka has an option to return to UCONN next year, so does Liv. Which further supports my contention that we need to be playing for this season and as @Carnac stated "let next year take care of itself."
I don't think who starts for UCONN should have anything to do with WNBA draft stock but since you took it there, Liv has some significant work to do to improve her WNBA draft stock. One mock draft currently has her projected to be a 3rd round WNBA and has (6) players at the C or PF position projected ahead of Liv.
Sharika Austin Mississippi :Jessica Carter Mississippi State :Lorela Cubaj-Georgia Tech :Ellissa Cunane NCSt :Monika Cziinano-Iowa :Queen Egbo- Baylor

This mock draft did not include Dorka but it will be real interesting to see where Dorka would be projected compared to Liv.
I saw one, don't remember where, that had Dorka a little ahead of Liv but both were in the teens.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
dorka is at the absolute tippy top for all players in offensive boards.
the only big time name playing for a bigtime team even close to her for this is aliyah boston.
and, only playing in 17 games last season, her record for double-doubles (12) is more than any other member of our team.
i don't care who starts, but i do know who is a playa. dorka is a playa, a winning playa, and she came here for one reason and one reason only,
to win on the big stage and against the best teams. smart move all around.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom