Dorka Should Start | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dorka Should Start

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You are correct that it was only one game, but the opponent was the same for both players, and Dorka looked better. IMO, if Dorka makes threes, she will get the most minutes as that opens the lane for everyone else.
Time will tell. But there is one thing that Liv is absolutely better at than any Big on this team, and that’s passing the ball. She understands the offense and works particularly well with Paige from the high post. Throughout the game, Paige made one hard backdoor cut after another and she didn’t get the ball because someone other than Liv had the ball, and didn’t anticipate Paige’s off ball movement.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If we continue to see the contrast between Dorka and Liv does Liv start based on seniority? Yup, that's great coaching. Sarcasm emoticon needed. Interesting question: if Liv was replaced in the starting line up could she cope with that.

Reaction Score
If we continue to see the contrast between Dorka and Liv does Liv start based on seniority? Yup, that's great coaching. Sarcasm emoticon needed. Interesting question: if Liv was replaced in the starting line up could she cope with that.
a game against Fort Hayes State is NOT the reason to take her out of the starting lineup. If she has another bad game like Arizona vs an elite team then I'd consider it, but it seems like jackals ready to pounce the opportunity Olivia has a bad outing for Dorka, I don't understand that.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The trio of Liv, Aaliyah, and Dorka playing the two post positions looked good today no matter which pair was in the game at any time. I think if all three play and have roughly equal minutes, that should produce good results for the team and for their durability as players.

Of course, if they (particularly Liv and Aaliyah) continue to be waylaid by foul trouble, then that will undermine this strategy unless one of [Caroline, Piath, Amari] can step up to the post role. I was particularly impressed with Piath today, and wondered why Geno didn't put her in the game until only 4:30 was remaining.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
a game against Fort Hayes State is NOT the reason to take her out of the starting lineup. If she has another bad game like Arizona vs an elite team then I'd consider it, but it seems like jackals ready to pounce the opportunity Olivia has a bad outing for Dorka, I don't understand that.
"If we continue to see the contrast"., meaning not because of this exhibition game. Everybody has an opinion and name calling because you disagree doesn't strengthen your opinion. It just cheapens it.

Reaction Score
I agree.. I believe Liv will be more confident coming off the bench and contributing in that manner. Dorka was too good today and it didn't take her too long to begin easing into the game. I can tell Amari, once acclimated into the system, will be really good. Liv needs to leave all her card on the table and ball her butt off this year.
I was really quite astounded at how nine players were able to function in multiple combinations so seamlessly so early in the season, particularly since three of them are new to the program. That rotation of nine is going to be unbeatable by the end of the season.
Also, it doesn’t matter at all who starts; the minutes of these nine players might be close to equal by March. That’s how a juggernaut develops.

Reaction Score
The trio of Liv, Aaliyah, and Dorka playing the two post positions looked good today no matter which pair was in the game at any time. I think if all three play and have roughly equal minutes, that should produce good results for the team and for their durability as players.

Of course, if they (particularly Liv and Aaliyah) continue to be waylaid by foul trouble, then that will undermine this strategy unless one of [Caroline, Piath, Amari] can step up to the post role. I was particularly impressed with Piath today, and wondered why Geno didn't put her in the game until only 4:30 was remaining.
Caroline played most of her minutes at the four; it wasn’t a rotation of three.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
In my, oh so, humble opinion, it's very simple. Dorka is a better 4 than Liv. Dorka is a better 5 that Aaliyah. Sitting on the bench Dorka can see what is happening and be instructed by the coach before entering the game. Dorka replaces whichever role needs to be beefed up. Dorka as a team player sacrifices starts to facilitate victories. The starting five may be stronger with Dorka. But the team is stronger with Dorka coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
If we want to win another National Championship then Dorka should start over Liv.
Whether Dorka starts or not is going to have little to no effect on whether we win number 12! They both have a big role to play and both will contribute to what we all hope and expect will be a national championship. Who starts is unimportant. What matters is what they both do with their time on court!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Caroline played most of her minutes at the four; it wasn’t a rotation of three.
Yes against a team with little height. Can she do that against bigger players ( i.e. Saxton)?

Reaction Score
I wanted Dorka to start all off season, even if it meant alongside Liv. However, I agree with a lot of others on this thread, her coming of the bench makes that unit all the more dangerous. She's super aggressive, and can really lead that unit that is less experienced (Nika, Azzi, sometimes CD). But I really like both Liv and Dorka. Dorka in interviews is always saying how they are similar but different. Each has an important role (probably close to equal minutes) and I envision them picking each other up throughout the season. Both had some bad performances against ranked teams last year, but its a new year and they can keep each other accountable.

Reaction Score
I agree that Liv is a pretty good passer and appears to be the best of the bigs in that category. I don't think, however, that she has unique or special instincts in that regard. In many ways her passing is a byproduct of the system. Uconn has always had bigs that passed the ball and had better assist/turnover ratios than other team's bigs by far.

In Liv's case it is also trying to find a role for her in the offense. Against much smaller opposition we can and do go to her frequently down low in an effective way. Against bigger and more physical players that kind of disappears as an effective option. She is not a good long range shooter, and at best mediocre from mid-range so turning her into more of a passer was the best way to use her against better opponents.

Statistically Liv was a much better passer than Dorka based on last year's stats. In this exhibition game I thought Dorka was looking for others pretty consistently, and even Aaliyah had a nice pass on a pick and role. She needs to get better passing as well. My prediction would be both Dorka and Aaliyah will both improve their passing stats substantially with additional time in the Uconn system, where bigs that pass is the norm not the exception. Aaliyah may also advance in that area because she was used more as a wing with the Canadian national team.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
If we want to win another National Championship then Dorka should start over Liv.
I said it before, it doesn't matter who starts. If they are good enough they all will get the minutes they deserve. Besides, when was the last time we had so many ( if any ) high impact players coming off the bench. Now instead of groaning when a starter sits down, we have a new feeling of excitement when the bench players come in. Geno will do his NEW thing and play more players during a game than he has ever done, and it will be exciting.

Reaction Score
The biggest revealation I saw was that now Geno has three primary options in the "bigs". Last year with only two it was a gamble to start two because if they got into early foul trouble there was no option to replace the player in foul trouble. Looks like this year he can start two bigs without worry about early foul trouble. I liked the look of two bigs along with Paige, CW and E.

Dorka showed versality to score both inside and from the perimeter. She was quick and skilled with her post moves. She showed an excellent left hand. She rebounded well. I'm not surprised, this is what I expected to see from her.

While it is too early to make definitive calls based one one exhibition game, I thought Dorka looked great and Liv looked like the Liv we have seen. I was disappointed in what I saw from Liv and hope it is not a harbinger of what is to come from her.

As many of the posters have said, its not who starts that matters, it is who plays the most against strong copetition and at the end of close games. It's also important for players coming off the bench to be able to have an immediate and positive inpact on the game. Dorka and Azzi boh eem to have that ability.

We should get a good idea of where everyone stands at Atlantis, especially if we see South Carolina in the finals.

Reaction Score
I don't know if I'm one of Liv's "fans".
Seems like a good teammate, not a prima-donna. Of course I don't know what takes place off camera. No reason for Liv or Geno to tell me
I like what I see from her, when she's moving back and forth from high to low post. Also can be an obstacle in the lane and blocks her share.
She gets herself up and down the court with dispatch. Not afraid to scramble or go to the floor if needs be.
However...
I see her shortcomings when the going gets tough against superior teams.
Still commits rookie fouls, fade-aways often come up short, doesn't seem to want to impose herself into the paint in traffic.
As far as F/T shooting goes, she's no worse than many, or better for that matter. Problem is nobody is afraid to put her on the foul line.
Liv, Dorka-whoever gets the job done.
Maybe one is better against teams with strong post players, one might be more effective against smaller, quicker guards.
I say let 'er rip and may the chips fall where they may.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom