Dorka Should Start | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dorka Should Start

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
it is astounding for me to read the many years long attempt by some here to continually blather on aboot what both liv, and tyler at the other board,
will be.
when?
they are who they are. ya know, based upon the years of data in evidence.
i am quite confident that both coaches are more focused on winning, not on feelings, and will use both where reasonably expected to do what they actually can do.

Reaction Score
I should just keep my big pie-hole shut, but I swear that I need the BY for some stimulating banter...
What does it feel like for a 6'5" post player (I add 6" to women for some sort of equivalence, + the factor that not so many women can jump- where are you Gabby), to play against a 6'0" or 6'1" post player? Remember when you were younger and you played against smaller players?
Come on folks, calm down! Let's talk after next Sunday.
BTW you can have all these jumpers by our bigs. What were they, 2 for 10? Don't need it, don't need it. Not a rule that you have to have a big at the high post. I know, the high- low look is beautiful, but not if the D is playing 6 feet off the high post.
Did Coach use Tina up there?

Reaction Score
I am not an expert at people at positions or an elite basketball observer like you guys, but what I see as a difference between the two players is this: Dorka, when she receives the ball keeps her hands high and when she is swarmed under the basket she twists, pivots and goes for the layup getting fouled in the process. Liv in the same position when getting swarmed will try to pass, but keeps her hands low and is open to have the ball taken away from her by shorter people.

Reaction Score
Somebody's gotta say it: Stop piling on Liv!!
She's improved in every facet of the game, the last 2 years. UConn has won some blockbuster games with her in the pivot. South Carolina? Baylor? Iowa? How did she do against Syracuse's big last year?
She's a decent passer, outlet and in the offense. Her post moves improve every year. Her touch all around the key improves every year. She blocks shots and she gets better every year at keeping her hands straight up.
BTW if Geno didn't bring her up high, she wouldn't have to be there.
UConn can win with Liv in the post. Teams are collections of players, all with strengths and weaknesses. Not even UConn can have the #1 HS'er at every position. Coaches take advantage of their players strengths and hide/minimize their weaknesses. (not expose them)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Of course this is based on only one game specifically but it fits what Geno has been saying about her since she arrived and, we know, she was First Team All Big 10 two years in a row. In today's game she had close to twice ONO's production in scoring and rebounds in less minutes. She was dominant while Liv was Liv. Dorka also didn't make the same foolish fouls that we are used to from Liv.

Azzi and Charmer should be the first off the bench replacing E and AE.
Right! And so should Azzi and Nika and maube Caroline. But the stupid NCAA will only let us start five players. The fault is with the NCAA!

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
In my, oh so, humble opinion, it's very simple. Dorka is a better 4 than Liv. Dorka is a better 5 that Aaliyah. Sitting on the bench Dorka can see what is happening and be instructed by the coach before entering the game. Dorka replaces whichever role needs to be beefed up. Dorka as a team player sacrifices starts to facilitate victories. The starting five may be stronger with Dorka. But the team is stronger with Dorka coming off the bench.
Maybe but 1 ex game proves little in the long run. What we did get was a clearer picture of what Dorka can bring to the team. We will know more with a few games under our belts. I was most impressed when AE and Dorka were in the game together. Will I feel the same after a few more games? Only the future and Carnac hold the answer.

Reaction Score
Somebody's gotta say it: Stop piling on Liv!!
She's improved in every facet of the game, the last 2 years.
She has?? I think most on this thread would disagree (if there is an anonymous survey). Her post moves has not improved one bit in the games I've watched. Same bad habits.

getting back to the main message of this thread, I dont think posters are piling on as much as being very, very excited to see Dorka's talent being leveraged. IMO, cant have enough Bigs/post players to wear out the competition in March.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Didn't take long to hear the "infamous" chant(s) of "Dorka should start"...what player is next to "start"? Dorka played 3 less minutes than ONO and four less minutes than Edwards.
Dorka had bad games at Ohio state. Everyone does. But when she plays poorly in some UCONN game you can bet your bottom dollar the same folks calling for Liv head will be after Dorka's. :p:D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
it is astounding for me to read the many years long attempt by some here to continually blather on aboot what both liv, and tyler at the other board, will be. when?
they are who they are. ya know, based upon the years of data in evidence.
i am quite confident that both coaches are more focused on winning, not on feelings, and will use both where reasonably expected to do what they actually can do.
I agree with you for the most part- I think. I just don't know who Tyler is? What team does Tyler suit up for and what position does Tyler play?

Reaction Score
She has?? I think most on this thread would disagree (if there is an anonymous survey). Her post moves has not improved one bit in the games I've watched. Same bad habits.

getting back to the main message of this thread, I dont think posters are piling on as much as being very, very excited to see Dorka's talent being leveraged. IMO, cant have enough Bigs/post players to wear out the competition in March.
Which is why I presented another point of view. BTW who cares what this thread says. That's your opinion. Check some old tapes from freshman, sophomore year. Post play is difficult. Not many master it. Plus big people are unique personalities generally. It's difficult being tall and gawky, even for a beautiful young lady like Liv. The best posts are often the ones that start out as wings/guards and get a late growth spurt. Ex. David Robinson, Candace Parker
Another point I made, was that everyone is excited about Dorka dominating a team of 6'0" bigs. I asked if people remember playing against smaller players. And I encouraged people to re-evaluate after Sunday's game.

Reaction Score
I’m surprised this thread took so long to start. It’s been 2 hrs since UConn beat up on a much smaller DII team.

Dorka may become a starter at some point this season. But I will guarantee that Geno will not make that decision based on her performance in an exhibition game against an overmatched opponent.
Not much precedent for this I believe… Geno is loyal to past work, so I believe the young lady has made it to the starting lineup (Olivia) she will stay. Dorka is a force though.

Reaction Score
I agree with you for the most part- I think. I just don't know who Tyler is? What team does Tyler suit up for and what position does Tyler play?
Tyler Polley on the men’s team

Reaction Score
Time will tell. But there is one thing that Liv is absolutely better at than any Big on this team, and that’s passing the ball. She understands the offense and works particularly well with Paige from the high post. Throughout the game, Paige made one hard backdoor cut after another and she didn’t get the ball because someone other than Liv had the ball, and didn’t anticipate Paige’s off ball movement.
I agree. I think Dorka was used to being the final resting place of the ball on offense even if it was just one pass. It's different here. The 5 position is also a passing position with an offense that has cuts wherever the ball is. Of course, Liv is much more mechanical on offense than Dorka who is a very smooth offensive player and that is what people are seeing. The BY is always fixated on who starts. Let's see who finishes in the games against UCLA, SC, Louisville assuming they are close. I think the team only cares about #12.

Reaction Score
Have just been reading the annointing of Dorka as the next Tina. I mean, in the words of the legendary McEnroe , " you can't be serious"! I really would expect more from such a knowledgeable group. Ft. Hays had two 6'1" and one 6'3", 2 freshman and a sophomore! 2 frosh and a soph, and not even that big! C'mon Boneyard! Next thing ya know we'll be reading that CW, at some point, will become a bench player. Oh, wait a minute.....

Reaction Score
I believe that Geno will start all three seniors, CW, Evina, and Olivia, all season, unless they are hurt. He does that most of the time. Now does that mean that they will get more minutes than some other players... NO!!
No in 2000 he sat 2 Sr. Captains/Starters for underclassmen. Liv is overrated and it will show in the OC schedule.

Reaction Score
I wrote this on the board a few years ago, and nothing has been shown to make me think otherwise. Olivia seems to lack the coordination to be an elite player. She does things on the floor that just look incredibly unnatural. I don't think there is much you can do to change that. She has worked really hard to get better, and I do believe she has made many strides from her freshman season. But she definitely has come close to reaching her ceiling at this point. IMO.

Dorka seems to have that natural athleticism and coordination. A smoother offensive player at first glance. I don't really care who starts. I've always liked the idea of having a game changing type player come off the bench because it throws a new look at the opposition. Especially if the starters come out flat. For that reason, I am fine with Dorka coming off the bench. In either scenario, she is going to play a lot. And in either scenario, we will greatly benefit from them both providing productive minutes.

Also, these preseason and initial games really don't mean a heck of a lot. For instance, Mir scored 10 points against UMass Lowell, and the board was praising this new freshman. She went on to have a very small impact on our in game success last year. I always try to wait to form opinions on who is going to provide what until we play our first quality opponent.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Have just been reading the annointing of Dorka as the next Tina. I mean, in the words of the legendary McEnroe , " you can't be serious"! I really would expect more from such a knowledgeable group. Ft. Hays had two 6'1" and one 6'3", 2 freshman and a sophomore! 2 frosh and a soph, and not even that big! C'mon Boneyard! Next thing ya know we'll be reading that CW, at some point, will become a bench player. Oh, wait a minute.....
There was no anointing and yours was the first post to invoke Tina as a comparison for Dorka. The BY is a very knowledge group and just in case we were to forget we have 3 years of mostly forgettable performances by Liv in big games. I believe Dorka and Liv both played against the same Ft. Hays team so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make by pointing out the height of the Ft. Hays fron line. You and many others have a very valid point: Dorka or Liv starting should not be based on who played better in a Ft. Hays exhibition game. So let's not based in on that, let's base it on who has accomplished more since both players have played roughly the same amount of NCAA D1 games.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

You have watched one exhibition game this season and say her post moves have not improved. You won't know if she has improved until she has played a few games. Maybe they have not but it is too early to say.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s amazing how these threads start to create an alternate version of the game. Liv was 4/7 from the floor, scoring on all of her post moves. Her misses included 2 mid-range jumpers and one “alley-oop” pass from I believe Christyn that was a little bit of a floater, forcing Liv to make an awkward catch and shoot on the way down.

If Liv continues to miss open jumpers and Dorka continues to make open jumpers, Geno will have a decision to make. But I’m not all that concerned about Liv’s 3 misses in one exhibition game or Caroline’s 0/4 from the arc or Azzi’s 0/5 in the second half.

The Arkansas game will be a real test against a good DI team with an excellent coach. Let’s pump the breaks on this discussion and see how everyone performs when it counts on Sunday.

Reaction Score
It’s amazing how these threads start to create an alternate version of the game. Liv was 4/7 from the floor, scoring on all of her post moves. Her misses included 2 mid-range jumpers and one “alley-oop” pass from I believe Christyn that was a little bit of a floater, forcing Liv to make an awkward catch and shoot on the way down.

If Liv continues to miss open jumpers and Dorka continues to make open jumpers, Geno will have a decision to make. But I’m not all that concerned about Liv’s 3 misses in one exhibition game or Caroline’s 0/4 from the arc or Azzi’s 0/5 in the second half.

The Arkansas game will be a real test against a good DI team with an excellent coach. Let’s pump the breaks on this discussion and see how everyone performs when it counts on Sunday.
she had the best play of the game imo. She was TRIPLE TEAMED yes triple teamed, and somehow got the pass off to Bueckers for the layup.

Reaction Score
she had the best play of the game imo. She was TRIPLE TEAMED yes triple teamed, and somehow got the pass off to Bueckers for the layup.
And I thought she made some nice post moves, (I think) at least two were through double teams. Dorka is the “new toy” everyone is excited about. They just play a lot different, Dorka is much quicker in the post and Liv is really patient.
I agree with everything @oldude said. Let’s see how next Sunday goes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom