Dorka Should Start | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Dorka Should Start

Reaction Score
But Dawn Staley seems to have difficulty incorporating superstar post players in the offense. Aja Wilson was curiously out of the loop under Staley, and the fact that Boston also is often not involves is difficult to understand. I'm guessing that both would have been bigger producers were they to have played for Coach Geno.
Fairfield, I used to share the same thought about Dawn underutilizing bigs until I moved to SC and got all their games on local channels. Boston touches the ball as much or more than anyone on team. Dawn's strategy seems simple - do I want Boston or others with a higher shooting % taking 3 pointers. Boston also sets great picks which allows SC to frequently flash to basket.. Most teams double Boston but if she is one on one, she typically dominates. Like Geno, Dawn appears flexible, wants to work for the highest % shot, and let the game come to South Carolina.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The biggest shortcoming of some fans on this site is the perception that just because a player commits to UConn and is a McD AA they will turn out to be college AA and top professional player. Putting unrealistic expectations on players rather than just waiting to see how they develop does them no favors. Players are who they are and some will adapt and get better on each level they end up playing in. Some will not. Its nothing personal. A players basketball ability is separate from their value as a person. It is not an insult to give an evaluation of a players abilities and value on the court. Much as UConn fans on this site had become accostomed to UConn being a lock to compete for a Natty every year, they have also become accustomed to expect the player on the team to dominate individual awards as well.

In the past there were not as many really good players coming out of high school as there are now. A few programs, especially UConn , used to have their pick of the cream of the crop. Now there are enough really good players available to more teams. So teams like UConn are not the only teams loaded with talent. There are some very good players on other teams that most of us have not even heard of let alone watched. On any given day, they can equal or even excel the more hyped players on the top teams. People on this site are totally unaware of he level of talent that exists in WCBB basically because they are only exposed to a limited number of players. Most of the media and those picking the AA teams and rating the players do not really even have a big enough sample size to make an educated guess.

Frankly! Liv is a good but not really a special player.
I don't believe this to be a shortcoming of some UCONN fans nor do I believe the expectations are unrealistic. The reality is that UCONN has recruited more than its share of HS AA. Some where in the archives there is a post by @meyers7 correcting me and listing the HS AA successfully recruited by UCONN that did not become college AA. That list is rather short because UCONN develops it players better than anyone else. It is also easy to forget this UCONN mark of distinction because of a couple of recent/current class specifically Crystal, Christyn and Liv. All three players (especially Christyn) showed enough potential as freshman that were I a betting man on the morning of December 3rd 2018 (Morning after the ND in which CW dropped 28 @ND) I would have bet several mortgage payments that Christyn Williams would have been an college AA by the time she completed her Junior season. Liv and Christyn still have this season to achieve AA status and even if they do not they will be both added to a relatively short list-UCONN players that were HS AA but not college AA. Crystal Danger field is on the list but Paige will not be on the list nor will Megan Walker. Highly unlikely that Azzi will be added to that list. I don't expect UCONN to stop recruiting HS AA and you are correct "some" will not work out as expected. UCONN is still getting its fair share of the "cream of the crop" in HS recruits. As long as that continues I do not believe it to be an unrealistic expectation that successfully recruited UCONN HS AA will continue to come to UCONN improve, be among the best college WCBB performer, graduate, and become excellent WNBA players and better citizens.
While I do agree with you that the selection of AA teams could be broader and include more terrific players this is not the media's fault. It is the fault of us fans. The media is only covering what they believe we fans are interested and not enough fans are interested. Ayoka Lee dropped 43 points the other night-this young lady has been putting up major numbers since she was a freshman-Let's get the word out and get her name on some AA nomination ballots.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't believe this to be a shortcoming of some UCONN fans nor do I believe the expectations are unrealistic. The reality is that UCONN has recruited more than its share of HS AA. Some where in the archives there is a post by @meyers7 correcting me and listing the HS AA successfully recruited by UCONN that did not become college AA. That list is rather short because UCONN develops it players better than anyone else. It is also easy to forget this UCONN mark of distinction because of a couple of recent/current class specifically Crystal, Christyn and Liv. All three players (especially Christyn) showed enough potential as freshman that were I a betting man on the morning of December 3rd 2018 (Morning after the ND in which CW dropped 28 @ND) I would have bet several mortgage payments that Christyn Williams would have been an college AA by the time she completed her Junior season. Liv and Christyn still have this season to achieve AA status and even if they do not they will be both added to a relatively short list-UCONN players that were HS AA but not college AA. Crystal Danger field is on the list but Paige will not be on the list nor will Megan Walker. Highly unlikely that Azzi will be added to that list. I don't expect UCONN to stop recruiting HS AA and you are correct "some" will not work out as expected. UCONN is still getting its fair share of the "cream of the crop" in HS recruits. As long as that continues I do not believe it to be an unrealistic expectation that successfully recruited UCONN HS AA will continue to come to UCONN improve, be among the best college WCBB performer, graduate, and become excellent WNBA players and better citizens.
While I do agree with you that the selection of AA teams could be broader and include more terrific players this is not the media's fault. It is the fault of us fans. The media is only covering what they believe we fans are interested and not enough fans are interested. Ayoka Lee dropped 43 points the other night-this young lady has been putting up major numbers since she was a freshman-Let's get the word out and get her name on some AA nomination ballots.
There are some really good UCONN players NOT on The Wall. Sad but true.

A team of
Dangerfield
Hayes
Elliot
T Williams (Jeter)
A Jones

Doesn't even include: Nurse, Faris, Stokes, Schumaker, Strother, Rita Williams

Reaction Score
Liv needs to play better against the good teams. If she doesn't it will be hard for us to win a NC. Dorka needs to make FTs or she will be a liability at the end of close games (like Ben Simmons). Hopefully both of these matters will be resolved in a positive fashion by good coaching and players working hard. I do LOVE what it looks like Dorka will add to the team this year. She brings ingredients that were missing last year (skill and quickness in the post and front court depth).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom