Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Right? And the team is already flying to Nebraska, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin and Ohio for half our league games. It's not that much different than West Virginia, Ohio, Kansas x2, and Iowa.

So the 5 games against PC, St. John's, Hall, Nova and Georgetown become long flights, which isn't great but for an extra $40M a year and running a legitimate football program it's worth it. No question.
Lol. Nice. Yeah let’s skim that last part. Trade DC , Philly, NYC . Jersey , Rhode Island for Manhattan Kansas, Fort Worth Texas, Lubbock Texas, Ames Iowa , Stillwater Oklahoma, and Provo Utah.

You’ve lost your mind.

Andre Jackson isn’t joining our squad to road game in Lubbock. That’s how we got him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lol. Nice. Yeah let’s skim that last part. Trade DC , Philly, NYC . Jersey , Rhode Island for Manhattan Kansas, Fort Worth Texas, Lubbock Texas, Ames Iowa , Stillwater Oklahoma, and Provo Utah.

You’ve lost your mind

Wrong, he is using his mind.

Reaction Score
Let’s be honest DePaul, Butler, GTwon and St John’s have all been games to NOT BE EXCITED about. That’s near half of the conference. And it may get worse. DePaul is going nowhere, dido for Butler, Neptune, Holloway and English are HUGE question marks, Miller is out at the first P2 offer, Pitino is not at St Johns for the long haul, there were rumors of McDermott bolting this season. Hurley and Smart are the only thing stable about this conference. With the $ gap widening the BE is going to find it hard matching what the B12, B10, and the SEC can offer the top coaches. The BE is not this stable conference I keep seeing it posed as on this board. There’s a very real scenario where we find ourselves as not a big fish in a small pond, but a big fish in a damn puddle. And that would no longer be “fun”.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Wrong, he is using his mind.
No he’s not. He’s serving fairy dust for a wish upon a star.

The Rock Shut Up GIF by WWE

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Let’s be honest DePaul, Butler, GTwon and St John’s have all been games to NOT BE EXCITED about. That’s near half of the conference. And it may get worse. DePaul is going nowhere, dido for Butler, Neptune, Holloway and English are HUGE question marks, Miller is out at the first P2 offer, Pitino is not at St Johns for the long haul, there were rumors of McDermott bolting this season. Hurley and Smart are the only thing stable about this conference. With the $ gap widening the BE is going to find it hard matching what the B12, B10, and the SEC can offer the top coaches. The BE is not this stable conference I keep seeing it posed as on this board. There’s a very real scenario where we find ourselves as not a big fish in a small pond, but a big fish in a damn puddle. And that would no longer be “fun”.

^^^ this is how I know I’m on the right side of an issue

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

You’ve lost your mind.

Andre Jackson isn’t joining our squad to road game in Lubbock. That’s how we got him.

Smart. Turn down $40M+ a year for our underwater AD, membership in an auto qualifying conference for our football team, all for the Glory of Seton Hall.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Absolutely. It absolutely is. LOL Iowa State. Id rather play PC every day of the week.
Your initial comment should have been you would prefer playing who we play over B-12 schools.

Your comment called them PC lite. The schools I mentioned (even Iowa St) have better men's basketball profiles than PC (and a number of other BE schools).

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score

You’ve lost your mind.

We should join the MAAC, schools are even closer.

Reaction Score
PC, Seton Hall, Butler, St John’s, DePaul will never be our peers or true final four contenders. If we leave the big east. What is it exactly? J Wright is GONE

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
^^^ this is how I know I’m on the right side of an issue
I could well be wrong but the way I see it you can count on one hand the BE schools that actually matter to us.

We can schedule PC, Nova and anybtwo or three other BE schools, whoever else you believe is important, to long term series as non-conference opponents.

Reaction Score
The problem is you are fighting a fight that we lost 12 years ago. It's not the same any longer. The whole landscape on what it means to be in a P5 conference has changed. USC? UCLA? Texas? Oklahoma? they aint in their conferences any longer. Get on the current playing field.

We were the historically the poster child for being the school that got screwed the worst by CR. Cant argue with that, its true. If we were smart now we should be the poster child of the school who flips the bird at after though invites while we continue to blaze a new trail .
I love the sentiment, flip the bird and blaze a new trail. I think we did that by choosing to go independent. UConn won a natty partly because it moved to a basketball conference, partly because of Dan Hurley, and partly because it left the gulag known as the AAC. And yes, the landscape has changed. It is the P2 and then a bunch of everything else. My biggest worry is, all it takes is for say Villanova to get a better offer and suddenly the Big East isn't so hot. Without Cuse and Pitt it is just not the basket I want to put all my juevos in. The Big 12 could just as easily add more eastern programs as the Big East could flounder.

Seton Hall, SJU, Butler, DePaul, Georgetown all had worse RPI's than the worst Big 12 program, Texas Tech. Heck even UCF was better than those Big East programs.

Net
SHU, Nova, SJU, Butler, Depaul, Georgetown all 71 and higher (worser)
Big 12 Worst: Oklahama at 70
Houston, Cincy, UCF all under 70
BYU surprisingly at 84

Reaction Score
That's quite an argument. Big East coaches may leave.

Big 12 coaches may leave as well.

Big East is about as stable as any basketball conference. UConn would be the only one to destabilize it some.

Kyle Neptune with just 1 season under his belt at Fordham before going to Nova is now the 8th highest paid basketball coach in the country. Jay Wright was the fifth highest paid basketball coach in the country. Patrick Ewing was the 12th highest paid basketball coach in the country and now Ed Cooley is the third highest paid basketball coach in the country and he was the 15th highest paid coach in the country at Providence.

This idea that the Big East is weak, unstable, doesn't pay, can't compete, isn't a power conference in basketball is beyond dumb. I remember all the threads that the Big East was done and the AAC would be better/was better than the Big East back when UConn joined the AAC and during the first couple seasons. I'm sure some of the same brainiacs who are trying to slight the Big East now were posting all that nonsense back then.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Fairy dust is what your ilk is using to paper over the AD's colossal annual deficit.
Yeah, admittedly I don’t care about that. Neither should you or anyone else not figuring how to field a team

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I love the sentiment, flip the bird and blaze a new trail. I think we did that by choosing to go independent. UConn won a natty partly because it moved to a basketball conference, partly because of Dan Hurley, and partly because it left the gulag known as the AAC. And yes, the landscape has changed. It is the P2 and then a bunch of everything else. My biggest worry is, all it takes is for say Villanova to get a better offer and suddenly the Big East isn't so hot. Without Cuse and Pitt it is just not the basket I want to put all my juevos in. The Big 12 could just as easily add more eastern programs as the Big East could flounder.

Seton Hall, SJU, Butler, DePaul, Georgetown all had worse RPI's than the worst Big 12 program, Texas Tech. Heck even UCF was better than those Big East programs.

Net
SHU, Nova, SJU, Butler, Depaul, Georgetown all 71 and higher (worser)
Big 12 Worst: Oklahama at 70
Houston, Cincy, UCF all under 70
BYU surprisingly at 84
Omg no one in big East is getting a better offer than us. Ever. That’s the beauty of big East. If nova was attractive they would already be in this conversation.

Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with our level as a program. There are far more examples of teams leaving the Big East and failing to maintain basketball excellence, than leaving the Big East and succeeding.
From what I can tell it has nothing to do with the league and has everything to do with coaching.

Boston College - I may not be old enough to remember when they were good. Who have they had coaching after the move?

Syracuse - The older and more out of touch JB got the worse his team got.

Pitt - Dixon left to go to TCU.

Louisville - Petino

Cincinnati - They did pretty well both in the AAC and Big East.

And then there is Rutgers. No further explanation needed.

Reaction Score
From what I can tell it has nothing to do with the league and has everything to do with coaching.

Boston College - I may not be old enough to remember when they were good. Who have they had coaching after the move?

Syracuse - The older and more out of touch JB got the worse his team got.

Pitt - Dixon left to go to TCU.

Louisville - Petino

Cincinnati - They did pretty well both in the AAC and Big East.

And then there is Rutgers. No further explanation needed.
Rutgers is actually the one exception. 9 seasons in the B1G. 7 with Steve Pikiell. Now 4 straight winning seasons. Ya really gotta give Steve Pikiell credit for the job he's doing.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Omg no one in big East is getting a better offer than us. Ever. That’s the beauty of big East. If nova was attractive they would already be in this conversation.
That's one hell of an argument. We should stay in the Big East because no other member of the conference is attractive to other conferences.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
PC, Seton Hall, Butler, St John’s, DePaul will never be our peers or true final four contenders. If we leave the big east. What is it exactly? J Wright is GONE
all those teams have more final fours and better hoops success than 2/3 of big 12

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
That's one hell of an argument. We should stay in the Big East because no other member of the conference is attractive to other conferences.
It’s true isn’t it?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Rutgers is actually the one exception. 9 seasons in the B1G. 7 with Steve Pikiell. Now 4 straight winning seasons. Ya really gotta give Steve Pikiell credit for the job he's doing.
The are in B1G not Lil12 , even a blind squirrel can find an acorn in B1G. I’d leave BigEast tonight for B1G

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom