Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Cool. There are 3 teams there that are not flashes. Kansas with Self, Baylor with Drew, and Houston with Sampson. All the rest are Providence lite. K state, Cinci (lol Kobe) TCU (what?) Iowa State (who?) OK state (wait what? ) are zilch in the BBall landscape. Keep me with Pitino, Smart, McDermott, Miller, Cooley, Matta, et.al.

I may not know football enough, but I KNOW basketball. Big East is a better conference over next 8 years all things being equal on a hoops floor. and thats before we even talk about why its better to be in the Northeast.

Half the big east is in the Midwest! Lol.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Cool. There are 3 teams there that are not flashes. Kansas with Self, Baylor with Drew, and Houston with Sampson. All the rest are Providence lite. K state, Cinci (lol Kobe) TCU (what?) Iowa State (who?) OK state (wait what? ) are zilch in the BBall landscape. Keep me with Pitino, Smart, McDermott, Miller, Cooley, Matta, et.al.

I may not know football enough, but I KNOW basketball. Big East is a better conference over next 8 years all things being equal on a hoops floor. and thats before we even talk about why its better to be in the Northeast.
You actually believe that you can defend a claim that PC is better than Kansas St, Oklahoma St and Iowa St as a basketball program? You did refer to them as PC lite.

You pick the time frame that you believe is most appropriate to judge basketball programs and I will gladly debate you on this topic.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
and we get an additional 30 million in tv revenue and football ticket sales per year to boot.

This debate is over. Not taking the offer would be dumbest business decision in the history of the school.

The problem is you are fighting a fight that we lost 12 years ago. It's not the same any longer. The whole landscape on what it means to be in a P5 conference has changed. USC? UCLA? Texas? Oklahoma? they aint in their conferences any longer. Get on the current playing field.

We were the historically the poster child for being the school that got screwed the worst by CR. Cant argue with that, its true. If we were smart now we should be the poster child of the school who flips the bird at after though invites while we continue to blaze a new trail .

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You actually believe that you can defend a claim that PC is better than Kansas St, Oklahoma St and Iowa St as a basketball program? You did refer to them as PC lite.

You pick the time frame that you believe is most appropriate to judge basketball programs and I will gladly debate you on this topic.
Absolutely. It absolutely is. LOL Iowa State. Id rather play PC every day of the week.

Reaction Score
The problem is you are fighting a fight that we lost 12 years ago. It's not the same any longer. The whole landscape on what it means to be in a P5 conference has changed. USC? UCLA? Texas? Oklahoma? they aint in their conferences any longer. Get on the current playing field.

We were the historically the poster child for being the school that got screwed the worst by CR. Cant argue with that, its true. If we were smart now we should be the poster child of the school who flips the bird at after though invites while we continue to blaze a new trail .

Weak argument. I take it that if you ever got bit by a dog you would never go outside again.'

Your post is further evidence that the debate is over.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

Not speaking for anyone but myself, but I prefer Providence as a conference mate way more than those other three. I know dozens of Providence alums in real life. To my knowledge, I've never met an alum from the other three.

Rivalries mean something. That value is independent somewhat from just the raw state of a program.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Weak argument. I take it that if you ever got bit by a dog you would never go outside again.'

Your post is further evidence that the debate is over.

Nah. You might be surprised at where the debate actually lies right now with the people who matter.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How many B12 schools within 200 miles of CT?

Do math for me here.

Again, were talking maybe 6 additional longer trips a year for men's basketball. Do they not take a plane cross country to play in Omaha Nebraska?

Reaction Score
Nah. You might be surprised at where the debate actually lies right now with the people who matter.
'Then the school is being run by a bunch of cowards who should resign and go home to their mommy.

and of course they would use student fees to fund their trip home.

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Again, were talking maybe 6 additional longer trips a year for men's basketball. Do they not take a plane cross country to play in Omaha Nebraska?

We play 10 league road games a year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If the mommy is in the Northeast I agree.
For a guy who is famously critical of conference realignment discussions, you are beating the crap out of this dead horse.

Maybe both sides of this argument can put it on hold until we actually get an offer?

Reaction Score
When we were in the Big East FB success impeded the BB program? How?
Your either missing the point or I'm not being clear enough.

For the current football team to succeed we would need to join a power conference.

Joining a power conference like the big 12 will damage our basketball product in the exact same way the AAC did.

Same as the ACC did to cuse, Pitt, BC and they are less of an outlier than we would be in the big 12.

WV Bball has been consistent but can't sniff a final four since joining the big 12.

Name a team that has left the big east and their basketball team improved? Miami? It's a short list

Reaction Score
Joining a power conference like the big 12 will damage our basketball product in the exact same way the AAC did.

Good grief, it appears many of our basketball fans have no critical thinking skills at all.

Sad.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
and we get an additional 30 million in tv revenue and football ticket sales per year to boot.

This debate is over. Not accepting a B12 invitation would be the dumbest business decision in the history of the school.
You should be a Syracuse fan celebrating conference dollars. We celebrate championships here.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
For a guy who is famously critical of conference realignment discussions, you are beating the crap out of this dead horse.

Maybe both sides of this argument can put it on hold until we actually get an offer?
It’s the off season and this is mental.

But if you prefer, I’m at Arby’s right now

EC16F02E-BADD-4DA1-9B83-D91E265DB0BD.jpeg

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We play 10 league road games a year.

Right? And the team is already flying to Nebraska, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin and Ohio for half our league games. It's not that much different than West Virginia, Ohio, Kansas x2, and Iowa.

So the 5 games against PC, St. John's, Hall, Nova and Georgetown become long flights, which isn't great but for an extra $40M a year and running a legitimate football program it's worth it. No question.

Reaction Score
Your either missing the point or I'm not being clear enough.

For the current football team to succeed we would need to join a power conference.

Same as the ACC did to cuse, Pitt, BC and they are less of an outlier than we would be in the big 12.

WV Bball has been consistent but can't sniff a final four since joining the big 12.

Name a team that has left the big east and their basketball team improved? Miami? It's a short list
Ah i see. I maintain it doesn't have to be like that. Hurley was quoted during an interview following the natty, that they would have had that success regardless of conference. The interviewer was suggesting the Natty was as a result of rejoining the BE. DH himself said they were going to have that success regardless of what leauge they were in. If i knew we were going to be having this discussion a month and a half later i would have bookmarked it. I believe UConn is different than those schools when it comes to hoops.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Now do the rest
Oklahoma St at Gampel was pretty fun. I’d assume Nowell and KState would’ve been fun too. We played Iowa state and it was……you got it fun. If top 25 ranked teams are coming into Gampel it will be fun. It doesn’t matter if they’re from east bumba. One of the most fun times I’ve had at a game was Houston at Gampel for senior night. The place was a madhouse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom