Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Reaction Score
Cool. There are 3 teams there that are not flashes. Kansas with Self, Baylor with Drew, and Houston with Sampson. All the rest are Providence lite. K state, Cinci (lol Kobe) TCU (what?) Iowa State (who?) OK state (wait what? ) are zilch in the BBall landscape. Keep me with Pitino, Smart, McDermott, Miller, Cooley, Matta, et.al.

I may not know football enough, but I KNOW basketball. Big East is a better conference over next 8 years all things being equal on a hoops floor. and thats before we even talk about why its better to be in the Northeast.
You seem to conveniently leave out the dollar difference between the Big East and the Big 12. It’s not insignificant. And yes, our basketball program can flourish in the Big 12. We’ll have more nationally relevant games and the competition will be very good, even if you won’t be in attendance.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I could well be wrong but the way I see it you can count on one hand the BE schools that actually matter to us.

We can schedule PC, Nova and anybtwo or three other BE schools, whoever else you believe is important, to long term series as non-conference opponents.
Did we schedule pc in AAC?

Reaction Score
That's one hell of an argument. We should stay in the Big East because no other member of the conference is attractive to other conferences.
Same can be said for the Big 12.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Yeah, like 40 years ago lmao. Meanwhile the B12 had 2 of the past tournament winners, and a runner-up the year prior.
Butler has a better record in final fours than every B12 team not named kansas in the last 15 years

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
People have been saying that we can't compete if we're not P5 because of the financial difference for 12 years now. And yet here we are.

Murphy's tweet spelled it out, but nobody wants to listen. Basketball is our athletic department's crown jewel, in a state that has no major professional sports teams. To weaken that just to try to prop up football would be an enormous mistake.

Reaction Score
You seem to conveniently leave out the dollar difference between the Big East and the Big 12. It’s not insignificant. And yes, our basketball program can flourish in the Big 12. We’ll have more nationally relevant games and the competition will be very good, even if you won’t be in attendance.

You give fair weather Connecticut fans (which is, what? well over half of their fanbase?) way too much credit.

ZOINKS! HONEY GRAB YER KEYZ IT'S IOWA STATE!

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Thats been proven too. Im supposed to get excited about UCF and Cincinatti and Houston coming back to XL? Texas tech? TCU? Iowa State?
Seton Hall, DePaul, St. John’s, Creighton, Georgetown, Marquette, Butler (I actually had to edit my post to add Butler…they are so boring and dreadful I actually forgot they were in our conference) get your blood pumping? How about that November barn burner with Sacred Heart in football or having to play UMass every year! And b.s. you aren’t trying to kill football: you are turning down $300M, annual games against teams who actually compete for National titles, and access to playoff money, for what precisely? The Big10? You are out of your mind if you think the Big10 even has our number. Oregon can’t get in and they’ve been consistently excellent at football and have the full backing of Phil Knight.

I think part of why you are so animated is you know you are wrong, and you know the school will take the Big12 in a heartbeat, so you are just churning and trying to make the Big East more than what it was ever intended to be: a bridge. If Providence is as important as you are making them out to be, squeeze them in as a breather between a gauntlet of Top 10 games and our yearly trip to Allen.

Reaction Score
Your either missing the point or I'm not being clear enough.

For the current football team to succeed we would need to join a power conference.

Joining a power conference like the big 12 will damage our basketball product in the exact same way the AAC did.

Same as the ACC did to cuse, Pitt, BC and they are less of an outlier than we would be in the big 12.

WV Bball has been consistent but can't sniff a final four since joining the big 12.

Name a team that has left the big east and their basketball team improved? Miami? It's a short list
But, aren't we are better basketball program than those other schools? I resent the comparison, actually.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
all those teams have more final fours and better hoops success than 2/3 of big 12
I'll play. Leaving us out of it, let's compare school by school the remainder of each conference in terms of final four appearances.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Did we schedule pc in AAC?
We could have. I have no idea why we did or did not schedule who we did and neglect who we did not schedule. Is playing PC really that important to you?

I'm having a flashback from four decades ago listening to griping that we aren't playing all of our former Yankee Conference rivals every year.

Reaction Score
But, aren't we are better basketball program than those other schools? I resent the comparison, actually.
This was our attitude as we marched to the bottom of aac. Resent it all you want. We are flying high off a national title but lets accept the vulnerabilities of this program. We need the Big East as much as the Big East needs us.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yeah, admittedly I don’t care about that. Neither should you or anyone else not figuring how to field a team

That's a pretty ridiculous stance to take given that the university president was just publicly pissing and moaning about things as inane as bus rental costs and popcorn revenue playing games at the Civic center.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Well that’s just not true. Butler is 2-2 with no rings in the past 15 years. Baylor is 2-0 with a ring. “Get some facts, then come back and see me”
So butler has been to more title games than Baylor?

Reaction Score
Your either missing the point or I'm not being clear enough.

For the current football team to succeed we would need to join a power conference.

Joining a power conference like the big 12 will damage our basketball product in the exact same way the AAC did.

Same as the ACC did to cuse, Pitt, BC and they are less of an outlier than we would be in the big 12.

WV Bball has been consistent but can't sniff a final four since joining the big 12.

Name a team that has left the big east and their basketball team improved? Miami? It's a short list
The more these threads go on, the more I'm seeing we might be big time basketball fans but we're not a big time athletics fan base.

Reaction Score
This was our attitude as we marched to the bottom of aac. Resent it all you want. We are flying high off a national title but lets accept the vulnerabilities of this program. We need the Big East as much as the Big East needs us.
So you're basically saying we can't be successful in any P6 conference not named the Big East?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
How many football titles does big12 have in about 30 years? Let’s do it this way for my friends here.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
How many football titles does big12 have in about 30 years? Let’s do it this way for my friends here.
The just had a school in the national title game, something half of the non-UConn BE schools have never done in men's basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom