Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Reaction Score
Only to someone not paying attention
Yep, that's it! The Big East that was going to fall apart when UConn was in the AAC and instead got several 1 seeds and a couple national championships is now going to fall apart with the best program in the country back in the league.

Reaction Score
Name one basketball program that improved after leaving the big east... I'll wait

Yes Miami and for a while Cincy until they ran off Cronin because he wasn't good enough for them.

There is no Big East magic, just good coaches and bad coaches. Look no further than Gtown, one of the great college basketball brands, mired in the muck for the better part of 15 years. Same goes for St John's. Providence fans are thrilled if they win 3 tournament games a decade.

Where is DePaul's Big East magic? Butler has actually gotten worse since they joined the Big East.

No such thing as Big East magic, just good coaches and bad coaches. You want UCONN to stay great? Pay your coach.

You're going to need to raise those student fees unless there is another alternative.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes Miami.

There is no Big East magic, just good coaches and bad coaches. Look no further than Gtown, one of the great college basketball brands, mired in the muck for the better part of 15 years. Same goes for St John's.

Where is DePaul's Big East magic? Butler has actually gotten worse since they joined the Big East.

No such thing as Big East magic, just good coaches and bad coaches. You want UCONN to stay great? Pay your coach.
It's all about coaching/leadership.

Reaction Score
Yep, that's it! The Big East that was going to fall apart when UConn was in the AAC and instead got several 1 seeds and a couple national championships is now going to fall apart with the best program in the country back in the league.
Keep on clinging to the past. I hope our AD can be a little more forward thinking. Jay Wright kept the league afloat. He’s gone. “A couple national championships” lmao. Way to say “Jay Wright”.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
AD David Benedict and HC Jim Mora have made it crystal clear: They are 100% committed to and all in on UConn and UConn Football. It is the Husky Revolution. There is no hesitation and there is no tomorrow.

If UConn gets an invitation to a "P5" football conference, it accepts. End of discussion.

If that football conference happens to also be the best basketball conference, UConn struck gold.

Put today's UConn Football and UConn Basketball in a decent conference and great things are going to happen. Ask not what the Big 12 can do for UConn. Ask what UConn do for the Big 12. - A lot.

Reaction Score
Keep on clinging to the past. I hope our AD can be a little more forward thinking. Jay Wright kept the league afloat. He’s gone. “A couple national championships” lmao. Way to say “Jay Wright”.
Clinging to the past?!?? We just won a national championship less than two months ago. Nova was just in the final 4 a year ago and won two national championships in the last 7 seasons. Creighton was a point away from the final 4 less than two months ago.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I didn’t say it would “fall apart.” I think it’s safely a top 5 league into the future if we stay, but is that enough for you to give up an invite into a minimum top 3 league?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yes Miami and for a while Cincy until they ran off Cronin because he wasn't good enough for them.

It took Miami 20 years (and an absurd NIL advantage) after leaving the Big East to get "better." Cincinnati didn't get better, they stayed the same and then the coach left.

Pitt has completely fallen apart, and if anyone doesn't remember, they were one of the best programs in college basketball in the early 2000s right through the time the left the conference. Syracuse fell off almost immediately too, and if it wasn't for a miracle final four run as a double digit seed they would have been a complete after thought for a decade. They were our peers before the Big East broke up, and both had noticeable dips, even with great head coaches.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Cincinnati made the CFP and Pitt won the ACC 2 years ago playing in a NY6 game. Wouldn’t say all is bad on that front.

Reaction Score
It took Miami 20 years (and an absurd NIL advantage) after leaving the Big East to get "better." Cincinnati didn't get better, they stayed the same and then the coach left.

Pitt has completely fallen apart, and if anyone doesn't remember, they were one of the best programs in college basketball in the early 2000s right through the time the left the conference. Syracuse fell off almost immediately too, and if it wasn't for a miracle final four run as a double digit seed they would have been a complete after thought for a decade. They were our peers before the Big East broke up, and both had noticeable dips, even with great head coaches.
You lost me at great head coaches.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Not sure what your exact point of asking is, but its an interesting history question. Here is the rundown back until 1985 (Oklahoma and Nebraska each won multiples on the 70's):
2005 - Texas
2000 - Oklahoma
1997 - Nebraska
1995 - Nebraska
1994 - Nebraska
1990 - Colorado
1985 - Oklahoma

Certainly, since 2005 the SEC has dominated with 13 titles, next is the ACC with 3, and the B1G with 1.
Smashing Success. Whats even funnier is none of those teams are in Big12 any longer.

Reaction Score
Clinging to the past?!?? We just won a national championship less than two months ago. Nova was just in the final 4 a year ago and won two national championships in the last 7 seasons. Creighton was a point away from the final 4 less than two months ago.
You were talking about the Big East before we came back and before Jay Wright retired. My point is with Jay Wright gone there is no reason to believe that anyone outside of us will be winning championships in the foreseeable future. The rest of the league is a complete question mark. If you can’t see that the BE is not guaranteed to remain a “basketball power” idk what to tell you. The landscape is changing and for once I would prefer us to be on the offensive

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Miami took 20 years after leaving the Big east, and for some reason you wrote San Diego state. Not sure why

Lest we forget! (I'm being tongue and cheek).

377247_10150448169179831_87028944830_8176613_1201512304_n.jpg

Reaction Score
So to summarize this thread. Half the posters on the BY think Hurley is going to turn into KO if we move to the Big 12 and he’ll just stope coaching and start recruiting unrated kids. Does anyone here really believe that guy is gonna let the program nosedive with an INCREASE in the number of competitive games we’ll have each year? Sorry, but I don’t see it. We are the #1 brand in the Big East by far and it’s not like the league or Fox is doing UConn any favors. They didn’t even re-negotiate the media deal when we joined the conference and now that the Big 12 has signed a new deal with Fox I’m not sure how well the Big East will do in their next tv contract. We’ve been 1 step behind getting the big $$ for the past 10 years. If we get the chance to be in a P5 league we have to take it and make the best of it

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You lost me at great head coaches.

What? Jim Boeheim, say what you want about the guy, is a hall of famer and has a ring (though fewer rings than Tyler Oleander). Jamie Dixon was one of the best coaches in the country during his run at Pitt, look at what they accomplished during his tenure. He flamed out at TCU, mostly because he couldn't recruit the same kind of player he did in the Big East (where have I heard that argument?) but he did a great job at Pitt.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What? Jim Boeheim, say what you want about the guy, is a hall of famer and has a ring (though fewer rings than Tyler Oleander). Jamie Dixon was one of the best coaches in the country during his run at Pitt, look at what they accomplished during his tenure. He flamed out at TCU, mostly because he couldn't recruit the same kind of player he did in the Big East (where have I heard that argument?) but he did a great job at Pitt.

Dixon has won a game in the NCAA tournament in each of the last two seasons. Beat Seton Hall by 27 in the 8/9 game two years ago and beat Arizona state in the first four this year.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Sounds a lot like the old Pitt is not it days

They never were quite able to get over the hump. I think a lot of people forget just how good those Pitt teams were in the 00s.

Reaction Score
They never were quite able to get over the hump. I think a lot of people forget just how good those Pitt teams were in the 00s.
They were a great A 10 program :) In all truthfulness, they were good but their fans thought they were better than us

Reaction Score
They were a great A 10 program :) In all truthfulness, they were good but their fans thought they were better than us
and their administration thought they were better than Jamie Dixon.

Reaction Score
they were frequently great regular season teams, they were fun to root against. Chevon Troutman, Dejaun Blair, omg

Reaction Score
Dixon has won a game in the NCAA tournament in each of the last two seasons. Beat Seton Hall by 27 in the 8/9 game two years ago and beat Arizona state in the first four this year.
In other words exactly like he did at Pitt in the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
Yup, and TCU ain't exactly the easiest place to build a basketball program. It's literally the basement program of the B12...yet, he's won more NCAAT games in the last 2 years than Butler, Depaul, Georgetown, Providence, St. Johns, Seton Hall have won in the last 4 years...COMBINED.

Reaction Score
Yup, and TCU ain't exactly the easiest place to build a basketball program. It's literally the basement program of the B12...yet, he's won more NCAAT games in the last 2 years than Butler, Depaul, Georgetown, Providence, St. Johns, Seton Hall have won in the last 4 years...COMBINED.
Yeah, half of the BE is lousy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom