Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Reaction Score
Well that’s just not true. Butler is 2-2 with no rings in the past 15 years. Baylor is 2-0 with a ring. “Get some facts, then come back and see me”

Butler got to 2 Final Fours. Baylor has been to one.

Reaction Score
Yeah, half of the BE is lousy.
Idk if you're being sarcastic or not, but yeah...they are.

And we're banking on Nova not turning into a dumpster fire with Neptune, and Miller not bouncing the first time a P5 school comes calling. McDermott was also very very close to leaving Creighton a month ago.

Reaction Score

And we're banking on Nova not turning into a dumpster fire with Neptune, and Miller not bouncing the first time a P5 school comes calling. McDermott was also very very close to leaving Creighton a month ago.
I said this and was told I was ridiculous

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

This is why betting on coaches is flukey. The ACC lost K, Roy, Pitino, Boehiem, and now they’re fighting with the Pac12 for relevance after being the top conference in the sport. The B12 schools will always have the money to buy away the best coaches from non P2 conferences.

It’s gonna be a very fun year in the Big East with all these coaching talents, but we know this isn’t gonna be long term. The B12 coaches who succeed are less likely to be poached.

Reaction Score

If you’re projecting into the future, then we’re going to have to assume that Pitino turns St. John’s into a tournament team and Cooley turns Georgetown around.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Dixon has won a game in the NCAA tournament in each of the last two seasons. Beat Seton Hall by 27 in the 8/9 game two years ago and beat Arizona state in the first four this year.

I didn't even know he was still coaching. It proves my point even more, dude is a good coach and was considered one of the best young coaches in the country when Pitt left the Big East. I don't know what that other guy was talking about.

Reaction Score
If you’re projecting into the future, then we’re going to have to assume that Pitino turns St. John’s into a tournament team and Cooley turns Georgetown around.
I would bet on Pitino. He’s obviously one of the best coaches ever, but he’s also like 75 years old. How long will he be there for? 3-4 years max? He’s not a long term guy.

And Cooley…lol. This clowns crowning achievement is a Sweet 16 and convincing his wife not to dump him after he cheated on her. If we’re banking on him to turn Georgetown into a championship contender, we’ve just signed our death certificate

Reaction Score

Nova isn't a one coach basketball program, they're a significantly better program than any program in the Big 12 not named Kansas. Coaches could leave the Big East is such a dumb argument, coaches could leave any conference. McDermott was not very very close to leaving Creighton a month ago, you're talking out of your butt.

Reaction Score
This is why betting on coaches is flukey. The ACC lost K, Roy, Pitino, Boehiem, and now they’re fighting with the Pac12 for relevance after being the top conference in the sport. The B12 schools will always have the money to buy away the best coaches from non P2 conferences.

It’s gonna be a very fun year in the Big East with all these coaching talents, but we know this isn’t gonna be long term. The B12 coaches who succeed are less likely to be poached.
You don't think Duke, UNC, and Syracuse will have the money for basketball coaches? You think those basketball programs are done being relevant?

Reaction Score
I would bet on Pitino. He’s obviously one of the best coaches ever, but he’s also like 75 years old. How long will he be there for? 3-4 years max? He’s not a long term guy.

And Cooley…lol. This clowns crowning achievement is a Sweet 16 and convincing his wife not to dump him after he cheated on her. If we’re banking on him to turn Georgetown into a championship contender, we’ve just signed our death certificate
Pitino is 70 years old.

Cooley seems like a pretty shady guy but he's clearly a good basketball coach and he clearly has all the resources he needs at his new school. UConn doesn't have to bank on Georgetown turning into a championship contender.

Reaction Score
Nova isn't a one coach basketball program, they're a significantly better program than any program in the Big 12 not named Kansas. Coaches could leave the Big East is such a dumb argument, coaches could leave any conference. McDermott was not very very close to leaving Creighton a month ago, you're talking out of your butt.
McDermott would be at Notre Dame right now if Shrewsbury had decided to stay at Penn State.

Reaction Score
McDermott would be at Notre Dame right now if Shrewsbury had decided to stay at Penn State.
Sure. He's turned down better jobs than Notre Dame, he's leaving Creighton when he retires.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You don't think Duke, UNC, and Syracuse will have the money for basketball coaches? You think those basketball programs are done being relevant?
They have the money, but who knows how long it’ll be before they each hire the right guy to bring them back to prominence. The point is, coaches are fickle, staying in the Big East because “Coaches good,” is bad logic because of how quickly that WILL change. Only 3(4 if you count Pitino) of the Big East coaches view their jobs as long term positions, every B12 job is a long term position, unless a blue blood comes calling.

Reaction Score

Well, you’re wrong on both counts. Pitino is 70. So, add 5 years to your 3-4 year estimate of his future and he’s there for most of the next decade.

I’m not going to argue with you about how good a coach Cooley is. I’ll let Georgetown do the talking. They just agreed to pay him $6 million per year, which is the 2nd highest pay check for any college basketball coaches. They don’t pay bad coaches $6 million.

Reaction Score
1. The Big 12 has been the best college basketball conference in the country over the last few years.

2. There are plenty of good reasons to be excited about the Big12 if you're a UConn fan.

3. Anyone who thinks UConn basketball is better off in the Big 12 than the Big East is borderline delusional.

These statements can all be true. This program is poised to have a 2013-22 Villanova type run and the Big East is a big part of it. Doesn't mean it can't still be a great program in the Big 12, but it will be a lot harder.

Reaction Score

No, I wasn't bring sarcastic; being realistic. Agree with you that the BE is at a turning point - it needs Nova to remain a top 10-20 program, St. John's to rise into an NCAAT team again, and two of Butler, DePaul and Georgetown to improve markedly. The bottom half really needs to create a deeper BE.

Reaction Score
Well, you’re wrong on both counts. Pitino is 70. So, add 5 years to your 3-4 year estimate of his future and he’s there for most of the next decade.

I’m not going to argue with you about how good a coach Cooley is. I’ll let Georgetown do the talking. They just agreed to pay him $6 million per year, which is the 2nd highest pay check for any college basketball coaches. They don’t pay bad coaches $6 million.
For their sake he has to be, no way they're able to swallow a buy-out.

Reaction Score
That's one hell of an argument. We should stay in the Big East because no other member of the conference is attractive to other conferences.
this is the argument for why the big 12 is stable at this time, because nobody is going to want to poach these programs.

Reaction Score
this is the argument for why the big 12 is stable at this time, because nobody is going to want to poach these programs.
Well more specifically, the P2 likely won't poach the Big 12. That means a lot if you want to be a stable #3. And rumors have included Nova, Georgetown, and SJU so AW's comment about the Big East doesn't hold water.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Well more specifically, the P2 likely won't poach the Big 12. That means a lot if you want to be a stable #3. And rumors have included Nova, Georgetown, and SJU so AW's comment about the Big East doesn't hold water.

Even more specifically the programs that "nobody" wants in the Big12 are pulling in $40M a year. Not a bad place to be for an undesirable.

Reaction Score
How would you tier our current opponents and potential B12 opponents? Mine-

Tier I- Cancel everything, find a ticket
- Kansas
Tier II- Plenty of juice
- Villanova, Providence, Baylor
Tier III- Above average interest
- St. John's, West Virginia, Marquette, Georgetown, Creighton, Xavier, Cincinnati
Tier IV- Meat and potatoes
- Seton Hall, Houston, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Kansas State, Butler
Tier V- Eww
- BYU, Texas Tech, DePaul, TCU, UCF

Everyone will have their own tiers of course. The top of mine is actually pretty similar between the conferences but the bottom is dominated by B12 teams

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

- Kansas
Tier II- Plenty of juice
- St. John's, West Virginia, Marquette, Georgetown, Creighton, Xavier, Cincinnati
Tier V- Eww

Everyone will have their own tiers of course. The top of mine is actually pretty similar between the conferences but the bottom is dominated by B12 teams

Mine is very similar to yours. My caveat would be that Big East has two programs - Georgetown and St. John's could get bumped to Plenty of Juice if they ever got consistently good again.

- Kansas

Tier II- Plenty of juice

- Villanova, Providence

- St. John's, West Virginia, Marquette, Georgetown, Creighton, Xavier, Cincinnati, Baylor, Seton Hall

-Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Iowa State, Houston

Tier V- Eww

- BYU, Texas Tech, DePaul, TCU, UCF, Butler

Reaction Score

- Kansas
Tier II- Plenty of juice
Tier V- Eww

Nice list- I think mine would put Houston up two tiers assuming they remain top 10'ish and would put Kansas State up one tier. Maybe Marquette and Creighton up a tier.

Reaction Score

- Kansas
Tier II- Plenty of juice
Tier V- Eww

now do football since they are a major UConn program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom