Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Reaction Score
Kelvin Sampson is not leaving Houston unlike Miller and McDermott(who would’ve left this off season if Notre Dame came calling). And Kelvin Sampson isn’t a ? of a coach like English, Holloway, Neptune or the DePaul coach who escapes my memory. Pitino is 75 and Matta is taking on Butler as a pre retirement project. I don’t see how any of those situations mirror what Kelvin Sampson has at Houston.

I’ll tell you this, if Sampson retires Houston will have a lot more resources at their disposal to maintain success than any of the BE schools will
I saw kelvin sampson interviewed for the bucks job….not so sure you are correct on that assumption

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
That list also isn't giving K St or Ok St anywhere near enough credit and Iowa St and TCU each should be bumped up a level.
And Texas Tech has 11 NCAA tourney wins since 2018 and a National Title game appearance. Over that time St John's, Providence, Depaul, Marquette, Seton Hall, Butler and Xavier have COMBINED for 8 NCAA tourney wins.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think we live in a much more progressive part of the country than many of these institutions and I think Lubbock texas would be culture shock for UConn fans if they made the trip.
I imagine that a number of us have been to a few parts of Texas. I cannot speak for Lubbock but I see the socio-political attitude that Texas is known for being overbearing in DFW, Houston, Austin or San Antonio (I know, the last two don't have B-12 schools).

I really can't see the remainder being anything that we can't get manage. BYU is a religious school but all but two BE schools are also religious schools. We somehow have been able to work around that.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I think hoops attendance would be better in the Big East outside of Butler/DePaul games.
You could be correct but I believe it will be dependent on our performance more than anything else.

Reaction Score
I saw kelvin sampson interviewed for the bucks job….not so sure you are correct on that assumption
Kelvin's kid Kellen is in line and ready to take over at Houston. If Kelvin leaves, it's just mostly to clear the way for him. He's been an assistant there for almost 10 years.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Kelvin's kid Kellen is in line and ready to take over at Houston. If Kelvin leaves, it's just mostly to clear the way for him. He's been an assistant there for almost 10 years.
If anything that is an argument against Houston's sustainability. This has happened a handful of times in the past (son succeeding father) and hasn't turned out well.

I will say that when Rick is ready to call it a career he'll push St John's to hire Ricky to replace him.

Reaction Score
If hypothetically, it was announced that two of Ok St, K St, Iowa St and TCU would be on our upcoming home schedule, one at Gampel and one in Hartford
If we announced home and homes with K State and TCU I would be underwhelmed, yes. Not to say those wouldn't be good games, perhaps even top 25 games.

Reaction Score
Tell that to the crowd in March 2020. I'm not saying it was the biggest rivalry in the world, but it reached a level where I'm comfortable calling it that.

Uhh . . . That was senior night. The year before they played in the Civic Center and there were 6000 empty seats. Not exactly a hit ticket.

Reaction Score

Okay, so it was a mistake for Villanova to hire Jay’s top assistant at Villanova with only one year of head coaching experience and expect success - as has been posted here - but hiring Sampson’s top assistant with no years of head coaching experience is going to be a home rum?

Dream on.

Reaction Score
The day 17-12 UConn took down mighty #22 Houston will live on forever!
What do their records have to do with the atmosphere? Lmao

The CV drop of the mic at the end was a chefs kiss.

Reaction Score
And Texas Tech has 11 NCAA tourney wins since 2018 and a National Title game appearance. Over that time St John's, Providence, Depaul, Marquette, Seton Hall, Butler and Xavier have COMBINED for 8 NCAA tourney wins.
And Texas Tech is a huge mess since Chris Beard left. They had happen to them what AntG and a couple others keep posting will happen to Big East programs. They had one good season since Beard left, Mark Adams stunk last season and got fired for making racially insensitive comments. Now they have Grant McCasland and will most likely go back to being the Texas Tech who kind of sucks.

Reaction Score
And Texas Tech is a huge mess since Chris Beard left. They had happen to them what AntG and a couple others keep posting will happen to Big East programs. They had one good season since Beard left, Mark Adams stunk last season and got fired for making racially insensitive comments. Now they have Grant McCasland and will most likely go back to being the Texas Tech who kind of sucks.
Their fans were REALLY good for a couple years there. All the tortilla stuff, the Beard return game, etc. It'll be interesting to see if McCasland can do some things there and keep them engaged. Fan support is how you keep a program high level, especially in the NIL era. McCasland was a consistent high level mid major winner and had extremely quick turnarounds at both Ark St and North Texas. He may have been the most underrated hire of the cycle. North Texas was 320th in KenPom when he took over and they were top 35 last year 6 years later (with consistent year over year ranking improvement similar to a Hurley trajectory).

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Every conference has to have their DePauls and Texas Techs. Their UCFs or Butlers. The only difference is Texas Tech proved it can be great with the right coach, do you think Depaul can ever reach that level?

Reaction Score
Every conference has to have their DePauls and Texas Techs. Their UCFs or Butlers. The only difference is Texas Tech proved it can be great with the right coach, do you think Depaul can ever reach that level?
Butler is the Texas tech, and UCF is the DePaul.

Reaction Score
No but I think every other team in the conference can.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
unlike DePaul, UCF brings it in spades with another power sport.

CiViL CoNNFlict amirite?

I dont ever want to see that school anywhere at any time. Next time Im in a conference with UCF is the day I tap out of college sports.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
CiViL CoNNFlict amirite?
Civil ConFLiCT. Notice the unusually capitalized letters are the abbreviations of Florida and Connecticut, respectively. I hate UCF more than anybody. I'll take one for the team, here.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Their fans were REALLY good for a couple years there. All the tortilla stuff, the Beard return game, etc. It'll be interesting to see if McCasland can do some things there and keep them engaged. Fan support is how you keep a program high level, especially in the NIL era. McCasland was a consistent high level mid major winner and had extremely quick turnarounds at both Ark St and North Texas. He may have been the most underrated hire of the cycle. North Texas was 320th in KenPom when he took over and they were top 35 last year 6 years later (with consistent year over year ranking improvement similar to a Hurley trajectory).

Whatever. ITS LUBBOCK TEXAS! We have NO business in that town.

They hired Bobby Knight! When he already belonged in a straight jacket.
Civil ConFLiCT. Notice the unusually capitalized letters are the abbreviations of Florida and Connecticut, respectively. I hate UCF more than anybody. I'll take one for the team, here.
Thank you for the correction I hate the fact that my school created a whole lexicon of mixing caps and lower case letters that in the year 2023 means your IQ just may be room temperature, I cant remember seeing that before that insanity, but now the whole internet makes fun of stupid people by doing that,.

Reaction Score
Whatever. ITS LUBBOCK TEXAS! We have NO business in that town.

They hired Bobby Knight! When he already belonged in a straight jacket.

Thank you for the correction I hate the fact that my school created a whole lexicon of mixing caps and lower case letters that in the year 2023 means your IQ just may be room temperature, I cant remember seeing that before that insanity, but now the whole internet makes fun of stupid people by doing that,.
That's the thing, we would be joining the states who are most dissimilar culturally and geographically to Connecticut and we wouldn't be joining the flagship premier schools in those states. We would be linked up with some of the cr^ppiest schools in those states.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom