Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Reaction Score
So it’s all about competing financially? Our football team will be BC or Cuse or worse. Baseball will be no better
Anything learned from BC (who started all this way back when?) The money goes for quality sports programs - how have they fared in football and basketball, the two biggest?

Reaction Score
It really makes no difference to UConn whether the conference ranks second in NET or fourth, and it's pointless to argue. What matters is history, proximity, and recruiting. The Big East is a basketball conference with four charter schools staked smack in the middle of three of the best five or so recruiting metros in the country (NYC, Philly, DC) that has since expanded to similarly talent-rich markets like Chicago, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, and Cincinnati. It was designed for the sole purpose of rallying passionate basketball fan bases behind a shared, basketball-centric vision in a world where football money reigned supreme.

UConn struggled mightily in the first 5+ years of the new league's existence and has since hired an east coast coach (and Seton Hall alum) whose father runs a well-known prep school in New Jersey. Said coach immediately cast a net around the entire east coast by assembling a coaching staff with heavy ties to the aforementioned three cities and then proceeded to run train over the entire country like we hadn't seen since 2004.

Anyone trying to argue that UConn basketball is as well-positioned to succeed in any other conference - much less a Texas-centric conference like the one it just came from - must really not think this stuff matters at all. Maybe you're right, but I'm not so certain.

Reaction Score
It really makes no difference to UConn whether the conference ranks second in NET or fourth, and it's pointless to argue. What matters is history, proximity, and recruiting. The Big East is a basketball conference with four charter schools staked smack in the middle of three of the best five or so recruiting metros in the country (NYC, Philly, DC) that has since expanded to similarly talent-rich markets like Chicago, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, and Cincinnati. It was designed for the sole purpose of rallying passionate basketball fan bases behind a shared, basketball-centric vision in a world where football money reigned supreme.

UConn struggled mightily in the first 5+ years of the new league's existence and has since hired an east coast coach (and Seton Hall alum) whose father runs a well-known prep school in New Jersey. Said coach immediately cast a net around the entire east coast by assembling a coaching staff with heavy ties to the aforementioned three cities and then proceeded to run train over the entire country like we hadn't seen since 2004.

Anyone trying to argue that UConn basketball is as well-positioned to succeed in any other conference - much less a Texas-centric conference like the one it just came from - must really not think this stuff matters at all. Maybe you're right, but I'm not so certain.
Thank you. I just wish people would be honest about it instead of pretending basketball would be better off in the Big 12 or there would be no drop-off.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I mean our class is headlined by a McDonald's All American 5* from Georgia, then 4*s from Seattle, Virginia and Maryland, not exactly beating down the doors of NYC, Jersey and Philly... Which was hurleys plan all along.. Start local then go national.

It's not that I don't think your points above are even that wrong it's just that in it's going to be exceedingly hard to compete in 5, 10 years at such a revenue disadvantage.

I know many here dislike or even actively root against UConn football but our home schedule goes about 3 seasons without a P5 opponent in CT... It would be a massive boon to football which would raise our entire AD profile.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
I mean our class is headlined by a McDonald's All American 5* from Georgia, then 4*s from Seattle, Virginia and Maryland, not exactly beating down the doors of NYC, Jersey and Philly... Which was hurleys plan all along.. Start local then go national.

It's not that I don't think your points above are even that wrong it's just that in it's going to be exceedingly hard to compete in 5, 10 years at such a revenue disadvantage.

I know many here dislike or even actively root against UConn football but our home schedule goes about 3 seasons without a P5 opponent in CT... It would be a massive boon to football which would raise our entire AD profile.
Cut the crap, man. This is no place for being sensible.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thank you for the correction I hate the fact that my school created a whole lexicon of mixing caps and lower case letters that in the year 2023 means your IQ just may be room temperature, I cant remember seeing that before that insanity, but now the whole internet makes fun of stupid people by doing that
Wait, you are saying that Bob Diaco was insane? Well color me shocked....

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Kelvin Sampson is not leaving Houston unlike Miller and McDermott(who would’ve left this off season if Notre Dame came calling). And Kelvin Sampson isn’t a ? of a coach like English, Holloway, Neptune or the DePaul coach who escapes my memory. Pitino is 75 and Matta is taking on Butler as a pre retirement project. I don’t see how any of those situations mirror what Kelvin Sampson has at Houston.

I’ll tell you this, if Sampson retires Houston will have a lot more resources at their disposal to maintain success than any of the BE schools will

Sampson literally just interviewed for the Bucks' head coaching position lol. And Pitino is 70 not 75.

If you want people to take your position seriously you need to get basic facts right.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Sampson literally just interviewed for the Bucks' head coaching position lol. And Pitino is 70 not 75.

If you want people to take your position seriously you need to get basic facts right.
You can't let things like facts get in the way of a good narrative

Reaction Score

You moron.

An NBA source said Thursday that Sampson’s talks with the Bucks were not serious in terms of the job itself. They were more exploratory in nature, with Milwaukee officials mining Sampson for advice and Sampson OK with his name getting out to enhance his NBA credibility with prospective recruits.

He’s stated multiple times that he is retiring as the HC of the Houston Cougars. If you want people to take your position seriously, you should do more then surface research

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You moron.

An NBA source said Thursday that Sampson’s talks with the Bucks were not serious in terms of the job itself. They were more exploratory in nature, with Milwaukee officials mining Sampson for advice and Sampson OK with his name getting out to enhance his NBA credibility with prospective recruits.

He’s stated multiple times that he is retiring as the HC of the Houston Cougars. If you want people to take your position seriously, you should do more then surface research

You so desperately want the Big 12 invite that you're twisting yourself in knots trying to make these insane arguments. Sure, he only interviewed to give the NBA team advice!

Reaction Score
You so desperately want the Big 12 invite that you're twisting yourself in knots trying to make these insane arguments. Sure, he only interviewed to give the NBA team advice!
What? Lmao. So you were just championing “facts”. You then get the actual “facts” and suddenly you don’t like facts anymore. Lmfaoo. I see you still have yet to read the article, with actual quotes from Sampson himself. Talking about how he’s “too old to move” and will retire with his son as coach in waiting. He’s not leaving. The man said it himself. You know “FACTS”.

Heres some more “facts” lmaoo

“On Wednesday in his office, Sampson talked about how much he is enjoying life, surrounded by his family. His son, Kellen, is on the basketball staff and has been announced as the “coach-in-waiting" when Kelvin Sampson retires. Kelvin Sampson’s daughter, Lauren Sampson, is UofH’s director of basketball operations.”

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You moron.

If the coach said it (after news about his interview leaking) then it MUST be true! I'm sure there's no chance he's trying to save face since his employer and players now know he was interested in another job.

If you're going to call someone a moron, make sure it's actually true and you're not just projecting.

Reaction Score
I think we live in a much more progressive part of the country than many of these institutions and I think Lubbock texas would be culture shock for UConn fans if they made the trip.
Texas Tech will draw 30,000+ to The Rent. While we UConn fans/alums (I am an alumnus) like to position ourselves as just below the Ivies, get real. We are a land grant public institution, with a very strong agriculture program. Like Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Iowa State,etc.
Get real. We have much more in common with B12 schools than the Catholic Seven+. The only thing we do not share with the B12 is geography…….and Northeast cultural bias.

Reaction Score
If the coach said it (after news about his interview leaking) then it MUST be true! I'm sure there's no chance he's trying to save face since his employer and players now know he was interested in another job.

If you're going to call someone a moron, make sure it's actually true and you're not just projecting.
You’re being a moron. Just say you don’t really care about “facts”. And that you are the one twisting yourself into a pretzel lmao. He’s not leaving Houston for another job as his son wouldn’t get the job. He wants his son to take over. His daughter is director of basketball operations. It’s a family affair. He’s retiring a cougar. Idk what your issue with this is. You’re choosing the wrong issue to wage your anti B12 war

You jumped out the window and made a snarky comment, “if you want people to take you serious”. You now look like a dunce. Own it.

Reaction Score
Well, having Moe, Larry and Curley as coaches was part of the reason for that......
Bingo : You nailed the real problem
When you win 11 league games in 5/6 seasons . Then you blame that league for lack of attendance. You officially have joined the self delusion club.
If I remember correctly the one year we managed a merger 4-5 conference wins attendance picked up . I think Houston might even have been a sell out. .Imagine if we had a 10 -3,win 8 -2, in conference season and were contending . for a decent bowl . Could you imagine trying to get a ticket for a home league Championship game for that honor. You wouldn’t be able to get a ticket unless you paid a scalper thats playing those same teams our fans have no interest in.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You’re being a moron. Just say you don’t really care about “facts”. And that you are the one twisting yourself into a pretzel lmao. He’s not leaving Houston for another job as his son wouldn’t get the job. He wants his son to take over. His daughter is director of basketball operations. It’s a family affair. He’s retiring a cougar. Idk what your issue with this is. You’re choosing the wrong issue to wage your anti B12 war

You jumped out the window and made a snarky comment, “if you want people to take you serious”. You now look like a dunce. Own it.

If you say so.

While you're at it, can you convince my wife that I wasn't cheating on her when she caught me on a date with that young blonde, the poor girl just wanted to ask me for advice?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Not for nothing just yesterday you said Dixon flamed out at TCU because he couldn't recruit Big East players anymore...

Reaction Score
I mean, your take is pretty silly if you think Kelvin Sampson wouldn't pack his bags if UNC or Duke came calling.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Not for nothing just yesterday you said Dixon flamed out at TCU because he couldn't recruit Big East players anymore...

Has Dixon accomplished anything close to what he did at Pitt in TCU?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom