Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Big 10 or bust. Stay in the BE
The B1G won't add anyone for a few years minimum and then it will be additional west coast schools. We're looking at about a decade before they'd look at us. We may as well (if the opportunity arises) make additional money and improve our profile while we're waiting.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I love the Big East. I also think we can and will compete in men’s and women’s basketball on the court and financially in the Big East (basketball budgets show this). However, the rest of our sports will struggle to compete financially.

If we join the Big 12, baseball and football are the two big winners. We also put ourselves in position to be a candidate if the Big 10 ever expands to 24.

My only fear is the Big 10 and SEC leaving the NCAA with their 40-48 schools and UConn is not part of that crew. If we stay in the Big East, we have no shot to be one of the final 48.

If we join the Big 12, we have a legitimate chance to be in the club.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I love the Big East. I also think we can and will compete in men’s and women’s basketball on the court and financially in the Big East (basketball budgets show this). However, the rest of our sports will struggle to compete financially.

If we join the Big 12, baseball and football are the two big winners. We also put ourselves in position to be a candidate if the Big 10 ever expands to 24.

My only fear is the Big 10 and SEC leaving the NCAA with their 40-48 schools and UConn is not part of that crew. If we stay in the Big East, we have no shot to be one of the final 48.

If we join the Big 12, we have a legitimate chance to be in the club.
So it’s all about competing financially? Our football team will be BC or Cuse or worse. Baseball will be no better

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Big 10 or bust. Stay in the BE
This. I want no part of watered down ACC or B12.

We need to stay in BigEast and either die with 275 other schools when the time comes, or go to a place that will survive this. Since B12 is already being picked apart and rebuilt with the teams we left behind from AAC because it made zero sense for us there, to do it again? No thanks.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Put another way, never has a non-P5 school gotten a P5 invite and turned it down. And yes, I realize by the time an invite is extended votes and the invitation have already been settled.

First you promote up and get a seat at the table. Then, if things go awry you look to optimize.

Any port in a storm is rule #1.

Reaction Score
Put another way, never has a non-P5 school gotten a P5 invite and turned it down.

and if UCONN were the first to turn it down, just shut the football program down, the fans who support football have been through enough agony the past 12 years, turning down an opportunity to bring football to a new level would be a major kick in the teeth to the football supporters. Close up shop and stop the tease if they decided Providence and one week at the Garden are more important than 200 + million dollars over 10 years and big time football at the Rent again.

and I just looked up current NBA players by conference. For this NBA season the Big 12 has 53 players on NBA rosters and the Big East 24.

Reaction Score
and if UCONN were the first to turn it down, just shut the football program down, the fans who support football have been through enough agony the past 12 years, turning down an opportunity to bring football to a new level would be a major kick in the teeth to the football supporters. Close up shop and stop the tease if they decided Providence and one week at the Garden are more important than 200 + million dollars over 10 years and big time football at the Rent again.

and I just looked up current NBA players by conference. For this NBA season the Big 12 has 53 players on NBA rosters and the Big East 24.
Dude 75% of uconn fans don’t care about football - it’s about winning titles, they should stick with whatever is best for basketball. And maybe that’s the big 12 but most people don’t care about football.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Dude 75% of uconn fans don’t care about football - it’s about winning titles, they should stick with whatever is best for basketball. And maybe that’s the big 12 but most people don’t care about football.
Perhaps if they did truly care about UConn basketball they would start caring about UConn football.

Reaction Score

There is no reason to think basketball would take a tumble in the B12. The B12 has statistically been a better conference than the current Big East and they recruit better players. If the feeling is that we are a recruiting outlier, just look at Creighton in the Big East, they are an outlier for the Big East and they do very well for themselves. After the championship Hurley can now take recruiting to a national level and the B12 will be a coast to coast conference with more exposure than the Big East.

BTW not that this matters but UCONN won a title in the AAC and was recruiting very well, then Ollie stopped caring.

Reaction Score
This. I want no part of watered down ACC or B12.

We need to stay in BigEast and either die with 275 other schools when the time comes, or go to a place that will survive this. Since B12 is already being picked apart and rebuilt with the teams we left behind from AAC because it made zero sense for us there, to do it again? No thanks.
Big 12 just got a fine damn contract with the schools that left the AAC. You've gone from P5 offer is never coming to if it comes we should turn it down. Just say you hate football.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score

I agree that if they turn it down there is no need to have a football team… especially back to FCS. We will be seen just like we have been portrayed by the media and all those schools that laughed at us.

The odd thing is those who don’t want to leave the a Big East are okay joining a watered down ACC in the future. We all would have jumped at the change to get into the Big 12 before the move to Big East.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom