Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Just as 5>1, 40>10. I can respect the ballsiness of the BIG 10 or bust take but I trust our AD can do basic arithmetic.

Big 10 is never taking us

Reaction Score
Dude 75% of uconn fans don’t care about football - it’s about winning titles, they should stick with whatever is best for basketball. And maybe that’s the big 12 but most people don’t care about football.
There was a time when we were in a conference and doing well with a good coaching staff and playing good football teams where we were banging out the rent. It was also at a time when here our basketball team was winning titles.

Perhaps it could happen again.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
This. I want no part of watered down ACC or B12.

We need to stay in BigEast and either die with 275 other schools when the time comes, or go to a place that will survive this. Since B12 is already being picked apart and rebuilt with the teams we left behind from AAC because it made zero sense for us there, to do it again? No thanks.
The Big East cannot sustain our athletic department and, frankly, isn’t that appealing. If you want in the Big10, the Big12 is the only path. Playing Sacred Heart in November for family and friends ain’t gonna cut it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Just as 5>1, 40>10. I can respect the ballsiness of the BIG 10 or bust take but I trust our AD can do basic arithmetic.
While I fully agree with your comment, the AD won't be doing much more than offering his opinion. The school president and BOT will discuss the offer (if there ever is one) and the BOT will vote on her recommendation.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Big 12 just got a fine damn contract with the schools that left the AAC. You've gone from P5 offer is never coming to if it comes we should turn it down. Just say you hate football.
1st of all I don’t think it is coming, 2nd of all if it ever did it wouldn’t be a P5 offer, it would be some kind of cut rate deal. We were stuck in a purgatory with Houston UCF and Cincinnati, now we want to go back to it and take Less money than them ? Screw that. Without Texas and Oklahoma and god knows who gets picked off next. And then not get paid as much as Cincinnati to land in that mess? No thanks. I’m content to watch it from the BigEast until something real comes along.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
1st of all I don’t think it is coming, 2nd of all if it ever did it wouldn’t be a P5 offer, it would be some kind of cut rate deal. We were stuck in a purgatory with Houston UCF and Cincinnati, now we want to go back to it and take Less money than them ? Screw that. Without Texas and Oklahoma and god knows who gets picked off next. And then not get paid as much as Cincinnati to land in that mess? No thanks. I’m content to watch it from the BigEast until something real comes along.
For the record. I won't believe it is coming until I actually see it.

That aside, there is an enormous difference between being in a conference where (outside of us) Cincy, Houston & UCF are the top three names and being in a conference where they are the bottom three.

August_West

Reaction Score
What would we get and how would it compare to what we are making now?
We got a lot more money ( between AAC contract and the 5 years of fees we got on top of it than the NBE) how did that work out?

Explain to me why we should take a cut rate deal?

August_West

Reaction Score
For the record. I won't believe it is coming until I actually see it.

That aside, there is an enormous difference between being in a conference where (outside of us) Cincy, Houston & UCF are the top three names and being in a conference where they are the bottom three.
Who are the top names in B12 ? Kansas?

I’m salivating at the thought of OK state, Texas Tech, Iowa State, TCU etc… real marquee stuff here.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
We got a lot more money ( between AAC contract and the 5 years of fees we got on top of it than the NBE) how did that work out?

Explain to me why we should take a citrate deal?
We got a lot more? Are you kidding?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Who are the top names in B12 ? Kansas?

I’m salivating at the thought of OK state, Texas Tech, Iowa State, TCU etc… real marquee stuff here.
You left out Baylor (who has very recently won a title in men's basketball) and WVU, who we have a decent history with (more than exactly half of our current conference mates).

OK St, Iowa St and Kansas St (who you also left out) all have had very good programs recently. Pick the time frame and match the top five, seven, ten schools in the B-12 and compare it with their non-UConn counterparts in the BE. There is a valud argument that it is a better mens basketball conference and it is far superior in most other sports that we compete in.

I know you despise the idea but we are not giving up on football. We will never be the quaint little school that many viewed us as half a century ago and despite whatever dreams you may have or whatever social media efforts you may make, a UConn-PC matchup will never have any juice outside of New England and loses most of its juice once you're north of Attleboro or West of Guilford.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Nope. Look at the money we got the first 5 years of AAC compared to BigEast teams
That's a hell of a comparison. The accurate one would have been what we would have made if we remained in the AAC vs what we made (net of departure fees) in the BE.

If we had remained in the BE (we were never given a choice), all BE schools would have made more as the split, as initially designed, could have been completed and the schools that ended up in what is now the BE would not have needed to buy back the name.

Reaction Score
Nope. Look at the money we got the first 5 years of AAC compared to BigEast teams

Wasn’t it more like 8 million to 2? Maybe the ratio is the same but the effect on the AD is night and day. If we are not getting full distribution of the TV deal, that does change everything.

Reaction Score
If it doesn't come it doesn't come. The rest of your post is speculation about what the deal is gonna be and preferences against playing those schools. "God knows who gets picked off next"? Tell me who is wanted and by whom? Now I'll speculate. The beauty of it is that there is going to be a best of the rest leauge and this commissioner will likely pick up pieces from both the PAC and ACC. Once the B1G and SEC are done.

Again just say you'd prefer they just shutter the FB program down completely.

Reaction Score
I don’t want to leave the Big East but there’s been rumors for years that some of the P5, P4 or whatever it ends up being leave the NCAA altogether. If that ever did happen we’d be essentially playing D2 basketball. I’m not crazy about it but I think you have to join the B12.

Reaction Score
I fear that political pressure from the pols in Hartford would force our hand to take the money. Grumblings about the state subsizdation of UConn have been going on for years. A refusal to get the bucks would hurt us down the road in Hartford.

Reaction Score
I fear that political pressure from the pols in Hartford would force our hand to take the money. Grumblings about the state subsizdation of UConn have been going on for years. A refusal to get the bucks would hurt us down the road in Hartford.
I pray they get one right! They should be pressuring. The UConn twitterati were basically trying to argue the state is an open piggy bank for the basketball program and they would never get outbid for Hurley.

Reaction Score

FWIW the opposite may be true. I haven't quite made up my mind on this issue, but my wife (a prof) says the B12 on average is leagues worse than what we're pulling in now--especially with Texas gone. We would probably lose much more than the 30 million in research funding.

Reaction Score
Bust it is.
I agree the BIG is the best fit but nowadays it’s all about money. Imagine in the near future a college player making more than an entire school

Reaction Score
FWIW the opposite may be true. I haven't quite made up my mind on this issue, but my wife (a prof) says the B12 on average is leagues worse than what we're pulling in now--especially with Texas gone. We would probably lose much more than the 30 million in research funding.
Leagues worse? What does this mean?

Reaction Score
get method man GIF

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

Explain to me why we should take a cut rate deal?
Holy straw man. Please point to a single post advocating UConn take a cut-rate deal.

Reaction Score
And Chris Murphy wants to stay in the BE, which could be a hint on the political direction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom