Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Reaction Score
College football sucks, I don’t follow it. Big 12 basketball sucks, even though they had some success in recent years. I love Big East basketball and hope UConn stays and makes it viable. rather than chasing money. Watching UConn play bball in The Northeast is more enjoyable than playing Iowa ST, OK state, etc. Please just try to make that work and stop chasing a pot o gold in the Midwest.
Thank you for your interest in the UConn Athletic Department.

Reaction Score
College football sucks, I don’t follow it. Big 12 basketball sucks, even though they had some success in recent years. I love Big East basketball and hope UConn stays and makes it viable. rather than chasing money. Watching UConn play bball in The Northeast is more enjoyable than playing Iowa ST, OK state, etc. Please just try to make that work and stop chasing a pot o gold in the Midwest.
You wouldn’t be chasing a pot of gold you would have a pot of gold. That’s the whole idea of going to the big 12. Look I wish the landscape never got to this point but it has and UConn has to do what’s best for them.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
a told b told c… telephone game never works

The bottom of the Big East IS frustrating right now. The eventual split of football schools will come at some point. I think those are some easily acknowledged facts.
In your opinion, do you think Hurley would be in favor of a move to the Big 12, indifferent, or disappointed?

Reaction Score
In your opinion, do you think Hurley would be in favor of a move to the Big 12, indifferent, or disappointed?

I obviously can't read the coach's mind, but I think it can be a little bit of each. At the end of the day, our historic rivalries are in the Big East and that makes for some enjoyable basketball. But I would imagine Hurley also recognizes that a better financial position is probably better for his own career, too.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This does not sound like someone who keeps a lot of things extremely close to the vest like Hurley to just go spouting off about casually in front of people not in his inner circle.
Unless he feels it’s necessary to let the powers to be know he supports a move to the BIG12. After all men’s basketball is the one major UConn sport that could end up with a negative impact from a conference change. He might have felt it necessary to dispel that concern.

If the information from @Ucann is accurate it eliminates this thread’s argument about the fear of losing Hurley as a consideration against conference change.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I obviously can't read the coach's mind, but I think it can be a little bit of each. At the end of the day, our historic rivalries are in the Big East and that makes for some enjoyable basketball. But I would imagine Hurley also recognizes that a better financial position is probably better for his own career, too.
He's a northeastern guy of course, but he's also ambitious. He's won a title in the Big East already. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd see it as a challenge to try to do it in the Big XII. Now that would cement his legacy. As for UConn, has any school won a NC in three different conferences?

Reaction Score
Unless he feels it’s necessary to let the powers to be know he supports a move to the BIG12. After all men’s basketball is the one major UConn sport that could end up with a negative impact from a conference change. He might have felt it necessary to dispel that concern.

If the information from @Ucann is accurate it eliminates this thread’s argument about the fear of losing Hurley as a consideration against conference change.
And for all we know Hurley might have been told weeks ago that we are going to the Big12 and has reached peace with it. At the very least, he knows it's a possibility and has reached peace with it. Who knows?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Dan is a modern coach, not an ostrich. No doubt in my mind he'd be good with it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And for all we know Hurley might have been told weeks ago that we are going to the Big12 and has reached peace with it. At the very least, he knows it's a possibility and has reached peace with it. Who knows?
Someone knows. Most of us are guessing. It’s not an easy decision. UConn mens basketball is currently the most valuable athletic sport for the university.

The responses in this thread arguing for remaining in the Big East prove that there will be some negative consequences if a change happens.

Given that I likely have only 10-15 years remaining, I love the current configuration of the BE and playing against those teams more than the teams in the Big12, I should selfishly advocate for staying.

But I have a concern that there is a very real possibility the BE will be pushed aside by the stronger conferences in a future realignment.

So I’m putting aside my personal pleasure for the good of some as yet unknown outcome knowing full well that if we leave there can be a negative impact on mens bb, UConn football can still crap out, and alumni support could tank negating the economic positives the Big12 offers.

That is as much a possibility as the rosy scenario some of us would like to believe.
I just believe the probability of my theory is the more likely one.

Reaction Score
Someone knows. Most of us are guessing. It’s not an easy decision. UConn mens basketball is currently the most valuable athletic sport for the university.

The responses in this thread arguing for remaining in the Big East prove that there will be some negative consequences if a change happens.

Given that I likely have only 10-15 years remaining, I love the current configuration of the BE and playing against those teams more than the teams in the Big12, I should selfishly advocate for staying.

But I have a concern that there is a very real possibility the BE will be pushed aside by the stronger conferences in a future realignment.

So I’m putting aside my personal pleasure for the good of some as yet unknown outcome knowing full well that if we leave there can be a negative impact on mens bb, UConn football can still crap out, and alumni support could tank negating the economic positives the Big12 offers.

That is as much a possibility as the rosy scenario some of us would like to believe.
I just believe the probability of my theory is the more likely one.
Agreed - its not an easy decision; especially with the emotional attachment that we have to our Big East successes. And, how fun the Big East tourney at MSG is for our fans. There would be all sorts of pluses and minuses on both sides of staying or going. Hell, some people wouldn't even be happy with going to the ACC... But, I think at the end of the analysis, for the betterment and stability of the AD, we have to go to a P5 the moment the offer comes in. Obviously the money is better from TV and such on an annual basis - without even counting the huge windfalls coming with the expanded CFP media deals. And, psychologically, it would be so nice to truly make it back (again) to the big boy table of college athletics. I have faith that the University would continue to manage our affairs well enough to not only increase revenues but also maintain a high level of athletic team success while making sure the fanbase gets its needed doses of regional rivals in out-of-conference games.

Reaction Score
a told b told c… telephone game never works

The bottom of the Big East IS frustrating right now. The eventual split of football schools will come at some point. I think those are some easily acknowledged facts.
Agree...was simply sharing what I heard, it's obviously impossible to know for sure if it's a fact. More than the Big12 stuff, which is totally out of our control, what was possibly more interesting is that they seem to have a target down for how much NIL money they need to raise to stay competitive with other schools. And, they're out there actively raising it.

Reaction Score

That makes the most sense…if there were some high level boosters against the move and he was trying to ease their fears…..still can’t see him trashing the big east like that tho

Reaction Score
”I’d really like to be able to spend more time on airplanes, and hopping time zones” said no one. Ever.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
”I’d really like to be able to spend more time on airplanes, and hopping time zones” said no one. Ever.
But then they go on to say "if we're flying charter, it could be worse.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A few decades back I worked for a consulting firm that had nearly half the fortune 500 as clients. I was on an airplane four to six times a week, traveling to many large cities throughout the country.

The position payed very well so I didn't worry too much about the time in the air.

Reaction Score
A few decades back I worked for a consulting firm that had nearly half the fortune 500 as clients. I was on an airplane four to six times a week, traveling to many large cities throughout the country.

The position payed very well so I didn't worry too much about the time in the air.
Exactly...honestly, how is a 3-hour flight to, say Kansas, worse than a 3+ hour bus ride to play St. Johns or Seaton Hall, often with traffic.

Reaction Score

Meh it’s just them going to the PAC 12

This won’t get anything going in and of itself. Things won’t start moving until the PAC 12 media deal issue is resolved. Then the other conferences will move accordingly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesw1963

Top Bottom