Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Reaction Score
Big 12 has more visibility and should check first but imagine have more teams selected to the tournament?
What is the BB equivalent to Depaul in the Big12, aka as a team that isn't even trying?

Reaction Score
I think the B12 is by far the best conference in basketball. Atleast was last year

Reaction Score
Heard some interesting information from someone who attended an event with DH: Apparently, he is not a fan of the Big East and would prefer the Big12 in a major way. Primary reasons include weak leadership within the Big East (the conference itself as well as many of the lower tier schools) and a lower quality of teams, especially at the lower tiers which hurt competition and where losses disproportionately hurt our ranking (compared to a loss to a lower tier Big12 school). He does not think recruiting would be impacted. And on that note, also heard that the target is to raise $3.5M per year to support NIL for just men's bb.

I would not be surprised if this is true, and you can bank on DH's agent being heavily in favor of a move to the B12, same goes for our great assistants.

Reaction Score
Yeah, let me take a wild guess, you don't actually follow the baseball team, do you?
Our FB team needs to go up from where its at to be BC or Cuse. It currently is "worse". We just have a portion of this fanbase that would rather FB go away than to threaten games against PC, Nova, St. John's, Hall and GTown. And only on in MBB cause everyone knows WBB would get a huge boost in the B12.

Reaction Score
You are going to make a lot of BB 1st fans VERY angry with this post.
...just sharing what I heard from someone I trust that was there. Apparently, a lot of high-level people were there, and large donors/potential donors. I figure even if you are BB 1st, if the HC feels this strongly, it has to be better for the program.

Reaction Score
...just sharing what I heard from someone I trust that was there. Apparently, a lot of high-level people were there, and large donors/potential donors. I figure even if you are BB 1st, if the HC feels this strongly, it has to be better for the program.
The hell does he know? Barely been here long enough to find his office.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Our FB team needs to go up from where its at to be BC or Cuse. It currently is "worse". We just have a portion of this fanbase that would rather FB go away than to threaten games against PC, Nova, St. John's, Hall and GTown. And only on in MBB cause everyone knows WBB would get a huge boost in the B12.
Well, a UConn playing it's back up true freshman quarterback, and third string tie freshman running back beat BC last year, so maybe we aren't currently worse than BC?

Reaction Score
Well, a UConn playing it's back up true freshman quarterback, and third string tie freshman running back beat BC last year, so maybe we aren't currently worse than BC?
I try not to put too much into 1 game. We had a dreadful prior decade. But i see daylight.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I try not to put too much into 1 game. We had a dreadful prior decade. But i see daylight.
Why not? One game is infinitely better than zero.

Reaction Score
Color me skeptical. Its a bad look to be bad mouthing the conference you are currently in, and I think Hurley is smart enough to know that.
Hurley has consistently gone after Big East refs and borderline insinuated that the conference is to blame for their inadequacies. That being said, I find it hard to believe he would be openly telling people that, but then again it’s Hurley. He doesn’t necessarily have a filter, which I like about him.

I’m more inclined to believe this version of the story rather than that “senior Big East source” 2 weeks ago who said if UConn went to the B12 then Hurley would leave. That story made less than zero sense to me, unless Hurley was willing to destroy his career trajectory by going to UMass or something so he could stay in a local “northeast” conference. Because let’s not forget, he took the UConn job while we were in the AAC. And he is on the record saying when he took the job, he knew nothing about the Big East move happening. There were zero guarantees at that time from Benedict.

Reaction Score
Hurley brought a lot of the ref bad blood on himself with his histrionics. You can’t act the way he did, and then play the poor innocent victim when the refs back each other up, and send a message.

He finally figured it out and toned it down because he realized that he was hurting the team. His (unfortunate) instincts made him initiate that dig above, but he at least, kind of, but not really stopped himself.

But regardless of the Hurley vs the Big East refs drama, I don’t see any wider “borderline insinuation” that he believes the
conference itself is responsible.

edit: Also my sense is that the combo of Hurley toning it down, and his new status as a National Champion, will have both side ready to move on and start anew.

Reaction Score
You are going to make a lot of BB 1st fans VERY angry with this post.
I’m a fan of the Big East. I joined the yard to make a case for UConn to the Big East long before it was fashionable.

Even so, the Big 12 basketball quality is first tier. We can debate which conference ranks where, but B12 is first tier.

You do lose the more rational travel footprint for all sports going to the Big 12. You also lose the historic rivalries and Big East history.

But that’s all hoops stuff and doesn’t really matter. What’s important is money, and money that can be distributed from football membership. P5 = $$$. If UConn gets a full P5 invite it accepts it.

Reaction Score
Heard some interesting information from someone who attended an event with DH: Apparently, he is not a fan of the Big East and would prefer the Big12 in a major way. Primary reasons include weak leadership within the Big East (the conference itself as well as many of the lower tier schools) and a lower quality of teams, especially at the lower tiers which hurt competition and where losses disproportionately hurt our ranking (compared to a loss to a lower tier Big12 school). He does not think recruiting would be impacted. And on that note, also heard that the target is to raise $3.5M per year to support NIL for just men's bb.
This does not sound like someone who keeps a lot of things extremely close to the vest like Hurley to just go spouting off about casually in front of people not in his inner circle.

Reaction Score
This train has left the station. We aren't getting invited to the B12. The buzz has died.
No moves were ever going to happen until the Pac 12 media deal gets finalized anyways. I think it’s pretty clear the B12 was doing their research over the last month and coming up with different plans of action. Next step is to wait and see what happens with the Pac schools. We’re not getting the first invite. We just need to hope that we’re one of the 4 schools in the group that does eventually get an invite

Reaction Score

College football sucks, I don’t follow it. Big 12 basketball sucks, even though they had some success in recent years. I love Big East basketball and hope UConn stays and makes it viable. rather than chasing money. Watching UConn play bball in The Northeast is more enjoyable than playing Iowa ST, OK state, etc. Please just try to make that work and stop chasing a pot o gold in the Midwest.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Hurley showered the conference with love and praise 3 months ago, and now he did a 180?

In Hurley’s eyes it goes from the best conference to what you’re saying?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom