DiJonai Carrington top-3 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

DiJonai Carrington top-3

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A rare disagreement @oldude. Geno is not recruiting Girl Scouts. I don't want to beat this into the ground. If you had your druthers you would not be picking someone with 5 knee surgeries with a senior red shirt. The odds aren't terrific. After 7 months "off" and medical clearance she lasted just 5 games. That's what we know.

Apparently she has an offer. I suspect she's Oregon bound.
I wouldn’t necessarily describe Carrington as a Girl Scout. Regardless of her health, Carrington could fill a looming leadership void on this year’s team. For the first time in forever, UConn does not return a single senior who suited up in the prior season. Right now, UConn’s lone senior is Evina, who has not played a single minute for the Huskies and is coming off two knee surgeries herself.

While leaders will eventually emerge from the jr, sophomore & freshman classes, with a strong probability that there will be no on campus pickup games this summer, and who knows what the fall will look like, what does UConn have to lose by bringing in a mature, intelligent and experienced player for one year?

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If I may interject and ask-this seems like a minimal risk offer. We have the scholoarship available to offer, she's definitely skill-wise UConn material, she's savvy and seems to meet the Geno/CD quality person aspect. If her knees don't hold up, she doesn't play and we are no worse off than we are now. IF she can play, she can help deepen our rotation especially while the freshman grasp what it takes to play at UConn. She will not be retarding anyone's development. What am I missing about your concern?

It begs the question if there is a healthy player in the portal that can fit the bill. In another post I refer to an interview podcast where she says she isn't fully healthy and is still rehabbing and then must get in shape (without a knee going off). If she were to be useful she'd have to be able to go hard and learn from day one. I get the whole what do we have to lose logic, but it is a narrow logic and a high odds bet.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

"Landing Stanford grad transfer DiJonai Carrington would make Oregon immediate title contenders"

NBC Sports Northwest and Ms Ashley Young are delusional

Wait, wut? The greatest player in the history of the world couldn’t win a title for the Ducks but Carrington, coming off a knee injury, is the missing piece? Okay.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Wait, wut? The greatest player in the history of the world couldn’t win a title for the Ducks but Carrington, coming off a knee injury, is the missing piece? Okay.
only reason they didn't win was that the tournament was cancelled. Speaking with first-hand knowledge of having seen them play in person several times. Whether Carrington makes a huge difference we will see (if she goes there) but that will be a young though talented team so her maturity and experience could be very valuable.

Reaction Score
It would have helped if they played the tourney Sabrina's senior year given her previous 3 she lead them farther than the Ducks had ever gone and improved each year. That was with only 2 McDonalds AAs: Sabrina & Erin Boley. As for 20/21 if DJ comes the Ducks would have 8 McDonalds AAs so they would have some talent: 2016 Erin & DJ, 2018 Sedona Prince, and the 5 incoming Freshman, all on the 2020 team. Add #2 WNBA draft choice Satou Sabally's "little" sister Nyara and reigning PAC12 6th POY Taylor Chavez, they might be able to compete.
Don't know if they need DJ as only 5 can play at a time, but she is a competitor and adds expereince. What do I know. I didn't think thye needed Minyon Moore last year, but they sure improved with her.

Reaction Score
only reason they didn't win was that the tournament was cancelled. Speaking with first-hand knowledge of having seen them play in person several times. Whether Carrington makes a huge difference we will see (if she goes there) but that will be a young though talented team so her maturity and experience could be very valuable.

In fairness, it's not the "only reason." Even if they were the favorites, (pay attention Dawn), lots of things can and do happen during a one and done tournament. It's foolish for the fan of any team to automatically assume that would have won a tournament that was never played.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The 2020 tournament was cancelled. There was also the 2017, 2018, 2019 tournaments where Oregon failed to secure a title with Sabrina.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In this podcast she is asked is she fully healthy and she says she is not fully healthy and has a ways to go and is doing rehab in her home town and after that she has to get in shape though basketball shape requires basketball. At the 7:30 mark. Dijonai Carrington_4.30.2020

By the by, she talks what is attractive about each of the three programs toward the end of the podcast. UConn? First, it's UConn... goes on to talk about Geno et als player developement and WNBA readiness.
If the basis of your concern is the status of her injury , I'd point out that she potentially plays the same position as Evina who is also injured and was at UCONN rehabbing as late as mid March. it is not ideal that an injured player would be bought in as insurance for another injured player, but it would be "insurance" none the less.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Strong words.

I would have liked to have seen Oregon play Bayor and SC. Remember SC beat Baylor without Lauren Cox. I would have liked to see a rematch of SC and Baylor.

Would UConn have run the table against SC Oregon and Baylor? Doubtful, but I would have like to have seen them try (Geno has a thing about playing someone after losing to them). UConn had the XXXXX to play all three during the season. (I give props to Oregon winning a tough Pac 12)

I don't think all four above mentioned would have made it to the Final 4. I think one would have been bumped before hand, maybe even two of them. I think it would have been Baylor over SC.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The 2020 tournament was cancelled. There was also the 2017, 2018, 2019 tournaments where Oregon failed to secure a title with Sabrina.

Some who apparently are not the GOAT led their teams to championships as a freshman, a soph, and/or a junior.

I’m just funnin’ the Ducksters. I knew they’d be quacking. Love Sabrina. I just wish she would have had a better 4th Q against Baylor last year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If the basis of your concern is the status of her injury , I'd point out that she potentially plays the same position as Evina who is also injured and was at UCONN rehabbing as late as mid March. it is not ideal that an injured player would be bought in as insurance for another but it would be "insurance" none the less.

I do get the point @CocoHusky and both playing the position might limit wear and tear, but as you note it is far from ideal or preferred and "insurance" is not a word that immediately comes to mind. Carrington's goal is to get back on the WNBA draft board after her injury last year and she makes no bones about wanting to be an impact player and no back up. What she wants and what is realistic may be two different matters. Plainly she has a lot to offer if she can regain her junior year level of performance and stay healthy.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry. Did I miss something about Carrington?! I never heard of her until today. Now she’s boosting programs for national contention <scratching head>
Thank you Kevin. I started to think that her next step was the Hall Of Fame in Springfield. I realize that we are on the East Coast but generally if a player is good enough they get some publicity regardless of the geographical location.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It would have helped if they played the tourney Sabrina's senior year given her previous 3 she lead them farther than the Ducks had ever gone and improved each year. That was with only 2 McDonalds AAs: Sabrina & Erin Boley. As for 20/21 if DJ comes the Ducks would have 8 McDonalds AAs so they would have some talent: 2016 Erin & DJ, 2018 Sedona Prince, and the 5 incoming Freshman, all on the 2020 team. Add #2 WNBA draft choice Satou Sabally's "little" sister Nyara and reigning PAC12 6th POY Taylor Chavez, they might be able to compete.
Don't know if they need DJ as only 5 can play at a time, but she is a competitor and adds expereince. What do I know. I didn't think thye needed Minyon Moore last year, but they sure improved with her.
Oh PUH-LEEZE! Everyone knows that South Carolina is deserving of the NC trophy. Just ask Dawn... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm a little tired of seeing transfers spend their UConn career either on crutches or playing low minutes due to knee issues. Hunter, Camara, Westbrook and now possibly the Tree transfer.
And as closed-mouthed as Stanford is we have no idea of what the knee issue is/was and if it is chronic or corrected.
Maybe Geno is concerned about whether Makurat & Muhl will be able to get here from Europe?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Interesting when she compares the 3 schools at the end

Baylor. Good track record integrating Graduate Transfers / Family Atmosphere

OU OR Nice how they integrate great players to play together / Tustworthy staff / Brother Goes there

UConn. They are UConn, Player Developement Incredible, They make Pros. Coaching staff will push her past limits she did not know she had

The passion in her voice sounded highest to me when she spoke about UConn but who knows

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Interesting when she compares the 3 schools at the end

Baylor. Good track record integrating Graduate Transfers / Family Atmosphere

OU Nice how they integrate great players to play together / Tustworthy staff / Brother Goes there

UConn. They are UConn, Player Developement Incredible, They make Pros. Coaching staff will push her past limits she did not know she had

The passion in her voice sounded highest to me when she spoke about UConn but who knows
You are VERY wise! ;)

Reaction Score
Nice interview. It sounds like it will come down to what type of experience she is looking for. If she is seeking a comfortable, chill environment where she will fit in easily and have significant minutes, than Oregon fits the bill.

If she is looking to be pushed physically and skillwise, and significantly improve her professional prospects, then UConn is her better option. She will be out of her comfort zone (both in distance from home and expectation), however.

Both have their merits. It all depends on her needs and wants after 5 grueling years of injuries and college basketball. Good choices to have.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Interesting when she compares the 3 schools at the end...

OU Nice how they integrate great players to play together / Tustworthy staff / Brother Goes there....
OU?-Sherri Coale hasn't had a quality grad transfer from the PAC12 ever. Not sure how well she integrates great players as it has been awhile since she's more than one (that's if you want to call Taylor Robertson great)....Oh do you mean Univ. of Oregon? :rolleyes:

Come on eebmg, know your audience! :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
OU?-Sherri Coale hasn't had a quality grad transfer from the PAC12 ever. Not sure how well she integrates great players as it has been awhile since she's more than one (that's if you want to call Taylor Robertson great)....Oh do you mean Univ. of Oregon? :rolleyes:

Come on eebmg, know your audience! :)

Sorry. Usually, I am careful with specific booboo since I was warned earlier. :oops: Will fix

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It begs the question if there is a healthy player in the portal that can fit the bill. In another post I refer to an interview podcast where she says she isn't fully healthy and is still rehabbing and then must get in shape (without a knee going off). If she were to be useful she'd have to be able to go hard and learn from day one. I get the whole what do we have to lose logic, but it is a narrow logic and a high odds bet.
On the first point, @maccca3232 listed the quality Transfer portal players still available and other than Taylor Mikesell who I don't see as UConn fit given the number of guards we have and she will have to sit a year, there is not a whole lot left to help UConn.

We simply disagree on this last part my Ozymandias friend as again, if she's healthy, she's a player for us, if she isn't, she replaces BT as "High 5" cheerleader on 3's. DC is a player who will not defer, will offer offense if she comes off the bench and gets the mentality to get rebounds. Not so sure I would classify that as "narrow". We shall see.
Like I said, I really am focused on one name signing up for UConn and it's synonymous with a Bugs Bunny cartoon nemesis...:cool:

Reaction Score
Apparently you missed the 2018-19 season? Averaged 14.0 ppg and 7.5 rpg as a Jr. on a team that made it to the Elite 8.

That could also be interpreted as her being a role player on a team that wasn't able to make the FF. But this isn't the pros so no salary cap to worry about. And UConn will have a shortage of upperclassmen next season.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That could also be interpreted as her being a role player on a team that wasn't able to make the FF. But this isn't the pros so no salary cap to worry about. And UConn will have a shortage of upperclassmen next season.
Lol that's a pretty big role for a role player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom