DiJonai Carrington top-3 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DiJonai Carrington top-3

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’m happy to have DJC if Geno wants her. Maybe not the best fit positionally, but she’s really good and experienced.

Why does she want to leave Stanford?

Reaction Score
Don't forget UConn could really use a graduate transfer that is skilled, experienced and can play THIS coming season. Carrington checks all of those boxes. She's already mastered all of the things the newbies haven't learned yet. She can help us while the freshmen are getting their "sea legs". This gives us something to look forward to. UConn is in the running. Argonaut says there was an offer made. I trust that poster's representation! I'd be a little concerned with her health since she sat out most of last year. May I assume that she has either seen our medical staff, or has been cleared by a doctor that UConn trusts? I'd like to see the roster increased to 12. Right now, I believe it's at 10.

Question, since Jasmine Lister is no longer on staff, who's keeping in touch with our potential recruits, and helping to close deals of this nature? I believe we lost out on several recruits the last two classes when Marisa Moseley (who had cultivated a relationship with many of them) went home to take over the program at her alma mater Boston University. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. :) We have a 33% chance of having her come to Storrs.
I agree with on not having Lister we miss youthful spirit in the recruiting trail and we have 33
Don't forget UConn could really use a graduate transfer that is skilled, experienced and can play THIS coming season. Carrington checks all of those boxes. She's already mastered all of the things the newbies haven't learned yet. She can help us while the freshmen are getting their "sea legs". This gives us something to look forward to. UConn is in the running. Argonaut says there was an offer made. I trust that poster's representation! I'd be a little concerned with her health since she sat out most of last year. May I assume that she has either seen our medical staff, or has been cleared by a doctor that UConn trusts? I'd like to see the roster increased to 12. Right now, I believe it's at 10.

Question, since Jasmine Lister is no longer on staff, who's keeping in touch with our potential recruits, and helping to close deals of this nature? I believe we lost out on several recruits the last two classes when Marisa Moseley (who had cultivated a relationship with many of them) went home to take over the program at her alma mater Boston University. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. :) We have a 33% chance of having her come to Storrs.
I agree with you we miss Jasmine youthful spirit recruiting and it nice we have chance for this Stamford Grad and we need her leadership skills plus she will play as Geno likes her!

Reaction Score
Interesting. Oregon obviously has a need for an experienced player to help ease the loss of their big three. Baylor loves their grad transfer guards. And UConn...another experienced guard couldn’t hurt right? Plus it would only be for a year so scholarships for future recruits wouldn’t have to be affected.

Reaction Score
Oregon probably has an upper hand due to the families familiarity with Oregon, as her brother was a star receiver for the Ducks. He seems to be pushing Eugene even though he transferred out due to an accumulation of minor incidents. His surprise suspension, after coming off of a stellar Rose Bowl, contributed to costing the Ducks a title as they lost in the Championship game to Ohio State as Mariota (the Heisman winner) had very few weapons left after his top 4 receiving threats were all out!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
My guess is Oregon or Baylor. Baylor makes the most sense based on need and if she wants to win a title. Oregon makes more sense if she wants to stay on the west coast and take up a prominent role. Don't see her mixing in particularly well at UCONN though based on playing style and Geno's system. UCONN transfers seem to have a steeper learning curve and PT will be more limited with Makurat/Westbrook there. She'll be a good pick up for whoever gets her.

Reaction Score
To me, Carrington is a skilled and smart player. Clearly the staff feels there is a need for her if an offer has been made. Considering how smart she is, I doubt she’d still be thinking about a school that hasn’t offered her.

While she might not be the best fit positionally, she’s far more experienced than half of the players UConn is bringing in. So the notion of her struggling to learn the system and earn major minutes, while 5 freshmen won’t is a bit strange. Based on what I saw from UConn this year, they really could’ve used a player like DJC, especially when the jumpers weren’t falling. She’s a much more dangerous scorer off the bounce than half of the players on the team some posters have been mentioning.

With all that being said, I see her choosing Oregon. Allows her to be on the West Coast and play a larger role.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
To me, Carrington is a skilled and smart player. Clearly the staff feels there is a need for her if an offer has been made. Considering how smart she is, I doubt she’d still be thinking about a school that hasn’t offered her.

While she might not be the best fit positionally, she’s far more experienced than half of the players UConn is bringing in. So the notion of her struggling to learn the system and earn major minutes, while 5 freshman won’t is a bit strange. Based on what I saw from UConn this year, they really could’ve used a player like DJC, especially when the jumpers weren’t falling. She’s a much more dangerous scorer off the bounce than half of the players on the team some posters have been mentioning.

With all that being said, I see her choosing Oregon. Allows her to be on the West Coast and play a larger role.

UCONN players, whether they're freshmen or transfers, usually take a full year to learn the system. It seems unique to UCONN...not sure if it's because Geno is more of a stickler than others or if the system is that much more complex, but regardless, that seems to be the norm in Storrs.

Taking a grad transfer for 1 year has pros and cons. The pro is obviously that she is talented and could help make the Huskies title favorites. The con is that she takes up minutes that could go to younger players which halts development or leads to unhappy players. She also may not love her role with the Huskies, as she likely wont have the same freedom to attack off the bounce and doesnt project to be a top producer. Time will tell, but I dont necessarily see her being a slam dunk get for UCONN if she does choose the Huskies.

Reaction Score
UCONN players, whether they're freshmen or transfers, usually take a full year to learn the system. It seems unique to UCONN...not sure if it's because Geno is more of a stickler than others or if the system is that much more complex, but regardless, that seems to be the norm in Storrs.

Taking a grad transfer for 1 year has pros and cons. The pro is obviously that she is talented and could help make the Huskies title favorites. The con is that she takes up minutes that could go to younger players which halts development or leads to unhappy players. She also may not love her role with the Huskies, as she likely wont have the same freedom to attack off the bounce and doesnt project to be a top producer. Time will tell, but I dont necessarily see her being a slam dunk get for UCONN if she does choose the Huskies.

Yup, for all those reasons, I’d be shocked to see her choose UConn. I think Baylor and Oregon would allow more freedom to play her game. I’m not sure she’ll be a slam dunk, but I disagree with the she’s not needed notion.

I think what complicates this most is she’s coming off an injury. She evidently was healthy enough to return at the start of the year, just to be shut down after a few games. Like someone mentioned earlier, you’d hate to see her be the difference for a contender like Baylor when you were close to adding her.

I think in general, it’s hard to win with freshmen. SC had 5, but realistically only 3 were legitimate contributors. I think the more experience the better. Still, I think it’s a moot point because I really don’t see her choosing to play at UConn.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Yup, for all those reasons, I’d be shocked to see her choose UConn. I think Baylor and Oregon would allow more freedom to play her game. I’m not sure she’ll be a slam dunk, but I disagree with the she’s not needed notion.

I think what complicates this most is she’s coming off an injury. She evidently was healthy enough to return at the start of the year, just to be shut down after a few games. Like someone mentioned earlier, you’d hate to see her be the difference for a contender like Baylor when you were close to adding her.

I think in general, it’s hard to win with freshmen. SC had 5, but realistically only 3 were legitimate contributors. I think the more experience the better. Still, I think it’s a moot point because I really don’t see her choosing to play at UConn.

True that by taking her you prevent her from being a threat elsewhere like at Baylor. I think she could take up a lot of Makurat's minutes. I don't see any of UCONN's freshmen being hugely impactful next year besides Bueckers, but could see 1-2 being role players off the bench like Griffin was this year and ONO the previous year.

Reaction Score
When was it announced that Jasmine is no longer on the UConn staff. The last I saw was Geno talking to Lobo a couple of weeks ago and he just basically stated that the situation was up in the air.
Does anyone know about this? That JL is no longer a staff member? I haven't seen anything that officially announces this. :confused:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’m happy to have DJC if Geno wants her. Maybe not the best fit positionally, but she’s really good and experienced.
Why does she want to leave Stanford?
I don't think it was her choice to leave Stanford. Stanford had one scholarship available and two players that would have been returning for a 5th season. The scholarship when to Wilson.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know about this? That JL is no longer a staff member? I haven't seen anything that officially announces this. :confused:
I was just googling about this and also haven't seen anything official on this. She's still listed on the Uconn website

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Assuming that there is no on-campus summer sessions, the incoming freshmen will not have an opportunity to mesh with either the returning players or each other, until the start of the fall term at the earliest. Evina has undergone 2 knee surgeries in the past year. Aubrey is a great athlete, but she has a lot of developmental work to do on offense before she plays starter’s minutes. Will Anna & Nika be back from Europe?

Given all the uncertainty in this uncertain time, Carrington would be a welcome addition. If she is close to 100% physically, Carrington would be a key contributor for the Huskies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

This is not accurate. If a player is good enough to play a lot of minutes as a freshman or transfer the player will play.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
True that by taking her you prevent her from being a threat elsewhere like at Baylor. I think she could take up a lot of Makurat's minutes. I don't see any of UCONN's freshmen being hugely impactful next year besides Bueckers, but could see 1-2 being role players off the bench like Griffin was this year and ONO the previous year.

Aaliyah Edwards will be impactful as a freshman.

Reaction Score
It also may be that Carrington may not be able to play big minutes due to her injuries. In that case, choosing UConn would make more sense as she could come in and shine for a limited time in each game.

Reaction Score
This is not accurate. If a player is good enough to play a lot of minutes as a freshman or transfer the player will play.
Don't necessarily fully agree with either comment. Frosh with enough talent will get minutes but typically are not impact players. Likely due to the upper class talent UConn normally has - frosh defer to the All Americans. With UConn a bit thin in this category, will be interesting to see how our upcoming frosh class steps up.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Courant Article

A 2018-2019 All-Pac-12 and 2019 All-Pac-12 Tournament team selection, Carrington only appeared in the first five games of the season for Stanford this past year due to a knee injury. The season prior — her first full season as a starter — she was the Cardinal’s third-best scorer, averaging 14.0 points per game in 36 contests, and her 7.5 rebounds per game were second-most on the team.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

While she might not be the best fit positionally, she’s far more experienced than half of the players UConn is bringing in. So the notion of her struggling to learn the system and earn major minutes, while 5 freshmen won’t is a bit strange. Based on what I saw from UConn this year, they really could’ve used a player like DJC, especially when the jumpers weren’t falling. She’s a much more dangerous scorer off the bounce than half of the players on the team some posters have been mentioning.

She's also a terrific offensive rebounder and would be a major plus for any team she joins, including UCONN, which certainly could use some help in both areas. (Her brother was supremely talented as well.)

That said--and there probably isn't any other Oregon fan who agrees with this--as much as Carrington would bring to Eugene, I'd actually prefer that she go elsewhere. With Sabally's decision to go pro and the two transfers, the team roster now has some breathing room (and good balance) with (in my view) four capable guards (Chavez, Shelly, PaoPao, Scherr), a "natural" replacement for Boley on the wing (Parrish), and. assuming the best health-wise, two very talented bigs (Prince, Sabally), with an experienced backup (Giomi) along with two talented front-court freshman (Watson, Dugalich, the latter of whom will also, I believe, play on the wing). It will take some juggling, but I think the staff could find a way to give all of them enough playing time to be happy and develop while keeping the season on an upward trajectory. Adding Carrington would make the challenge that much more difficult.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When was it announced that Jasmine is no longer on the UConn staff. The last I saw was Geno talking to Lobo a couple of weeks ago and he just basically stated that the situation was up in the air.

I really like Jazz and as of this hour she's still listed as an AC on the UC site. Women's Basketball Coaches - University of Connecticut Athletics

Geno is loyal, very loyal. Obviously a leave of absence cannot be too long to the point of the program suffering, but I'm sure this process is in good hands and wish Jazz all the best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom