DiJonai Carrington top-3 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

DiJonai Carrington top-3

Reaction Score
If the basis of your concern is the status of her injury , I'd point out that she potentially plays the same position as Evina who is also injured and was at UCONN rehabbing as late as mid March. it is not ideal that an injured player would be bought in as insurance for another injured player, but it would be "insurance" none the less.

My recollection is that Westbrook was going to play if granted her waiver and elected to have the surgery now instead of waiting only after the waiver was denied. There is every indication that she will be ready. Carrington tried to play last season but was unable. There is a huge ? next to her name.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That could also be interpreted as her being a role player on a team that wasn't able to make the FF. But this isn't the pros so no salary cap to worry about. And UConn will have a shortage of upperclassmen next season.

Uh...third leading scorer (.3 behind #2) on a team that went 31-5 and was the ONLY team that beat Baylor that year. :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
UConn. They are UConn, Player Developement Incredible, They make Pros. Coaching staff will push her past limits she did not know she had

So...did you see the WNBA draft where #1, #2 and #8 came from Oregon, all higher than any UConn players? Seems like development is okay there in Eugene lately. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Lol that's a pretty big role for a role player.

Carrington may be a great player but looking at her 2019 season stats I see she shot 45% overall & 33% from 3, almost identical to UConn's Williams, who is generally regarded as someone who "needs to pick up her game and especially her shooting" if she is to see extended minutes next season. Carrington also had a 56/75 a/to ratio to Williams 72/55. So if Carrington is no better than sophomore Williams, who has taken a lot of flak on this board, then maybe Carrington is just the proverbial "greener grass"?

Reaction Score
Please, please, please - do not bring in another player who, due to reoccurring injuries, sits at the end of the bench and, with the Huskies up twenty eight points and 1:40 left to play goes into the game. And don't tell me we need them because they are "mature". Bring in somebody's grandmother if that's what you want.

Reaction Score
So...did you see the WNBA draft where #1, #2 and #8 came from Oregon, all higher than any UConn players? Seems like development is okay there in Eugene lately. :rolleyes:

Keep doing it for 20 years just 10 years and then talk. I thought Oregon was a great team but they never managed to win a title and had their first great WNBA draft this year. Do they have even one lottery candidate on the roster? Maybe sister Sabally but she has yet to play one second of college ball.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Just quoting Dijonai. :D

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Carrington may be a great player but looking at her 2019 season stats I see she shot 45% overall & 33% from 3, almost identical to UConn's Williams, who is generally regarded as someone who "needs to pick up her game and especially her shooting" if she is to see extended minutes next season. Carrington also had a 56/75 a/to ratio to Williams 72/55. So if Carrington is no better than sophomore Williams, who has taken a lot of flak on this board, then maybe Carrington is just the proverbial "greener grass"?
Who has tried to say that Carrington is better than Williams? Why the need to manufacture a competition between the two?

Sounds like someone has a bone to pick that has nothing to do with either one of them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Keep doing it for 20 years just 10 years and then talk. I thought Oregon was a great team but they never managed to win a title and had their first great WNBA draft this year. Do they have even one lottery candidate on the roster? Maybe sister Sabally but she has yet to play one second of college ball.

Obviously there is no comparison between Geno/UConn players in the pros and Kelly/Oregon. He's just getting started there. I'm sure Lobo was a high draft pick, how many other high draft picks came out of UConn when Geno was just getting started? That's not to say Graves is eventually going to do the same things, I don't think anybody will repeat that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My recollection is that Westbrook was going to play if granted her waiver and elected to have the surgery now instead of waiting only after the waiver was denied. There is every indication that she will be ready. Carrington tried to play last season but was unable. There is a huge ? next to her name.
Your recollection does not match mine.
I have no recollection of the timing of the surgery for Westbrook being elective or up to her.
My recollections is that it was unclear if the first surgery was related to the second surgery.
My recollection is that as a result of the first surgery she was expected to be ready at the start of last season if she were declared eligible.
Your recollection is also not consistent with the time line. Evina's final appeal was denied on November 13th 2019 why would she wait until January of 2020 to have elective surgery?
Per Geno Evina was still rehabbing in mid March-rehabbing from a January surgery.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Obviously there is no comparison between Geno/UConn players in the pros and Kelly/Oregon. He's just getting started there. I'm sure Lobo was a high draft pick, how many other high draft picks came out of UConn when Geno was just getting started? That's not to say Graves is eventually going to do the same things, I don't think anybody will repeat that.
My fine west coast friend, let’s remember that Kelly is on his third team after St.Mary’s and Gonzaga (Courtney Vandersloot) And has been coaching for 23 years, albeit the last 6 at Oregon. He is no spring chick or “up and comer”. He is a very, very good coach who this year had a phenomenal recruiting class. While the highest ranked is #8, he needs to elevate her game and He needs to show that regularly. The PAC12 will be a battleground for the next 4 years with Kelly in the top 2/3.

Reaction Score
Who has tried to say that Carrington is better than Williams? Why the need to manufacture a competition between the two?

Sounds like someone has a bone to pick that has nothing to do with either one of them.

If I have a bone to pick it's with posters who go wild over a possible transfer who is no better on paper than a UConn player who has been dissed all season for sub par performance. (not by me :)) Maybe someone needs to explain why Carrington is so obviously valuable and desirable for UConn. Who was the last transfer to walk into UConn's gym and fit in from day one? The only one I can think of was Hunter, and she was damaged goods and could only play 10-15 minutes/game.
Watching the team transform last season I saw how important time on the floor together was. So now UConn has 5 new players and some want to make it 6. I'm OK with it. It would be nice to have 10 players to scrimmage. If she picks UConn I hope it's to get ready for the pros, which means top level strength training, top level coaching, daily practice with and against great players and many future pros. But I doubt she would start.
If I sound down on the Stanford guard it's not intended as a slap at her but a slap at those who seem to think she is a guaranteed contributor at UConn simply because she started at Stanford. Lack of UConn experience and 2 knees that have had multiple surgeries are huge question marks and a poor a/to ratio doesn't help her case. I hope she has a great season wherever she ends up but I just don't see her making a big difference as a one year rent-a-player for UConn.
The only reason I can see for Geno taking her is the possibility that our 2 Euro players get stuck on the other side of the Atlantic.

Reaction Score

You are right. You can't compare numbers between different eras. Recruiting is so much more electronic.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If I have a bone to pick it's with posters who go wild over a possible transfer who is no better on paper than a UConn player who has been dissed all season for sub par performance. (not by me :)) Maybe someone needs to explain why Carrington is so obviously valuable and desirable for UConn. Who was the last transfer to walk into UConn's gym and fit in from day one? The only one I can think of was Hunter, and she was damaged goods and could only play 10-15 minutes/game.
Watching the team transform last season I saw how important time on the floor together was. So now UConn has 5 new players and some want to make it 6. I'm OK with it. It would be nice to have 10 players to scrimmage. If she picks UConn I hope it's to get ready for the pros, which means top level strength training, top level coaching, daily practice with and against great players and many future pros. But I doubt she would start.
If I sound down on the Stanford guard it's not intended as a slap at her but a slap at those who seem to think she is a guaranteed contributor at UConn simply because she started at Stanford. Lack of UConn experience and 2 knees that have had multiple surgeries are huge question marks and a poor a/to ratio doesn't help her case. I hope she has a great season wherever she ends up but I just don't see her making a big difference as a one year rent-a-player for UConn.
The only reason I can see for Geno taking her is the possibility that our 2 Euro players get stuck on the other side of the Atlantic.
I must have missed all the posts of people "going wild" over Carrington. Maybe that's on the invisible thread titled Boneyarders Gone Wild?

Sounds to me like your bone to pick is really with the coaching staff, whom apparently you don't trust to evaluate talent or coach up a player.

I can most certainly assure you that if the "Euro players" (I take that to mean European?) can't get into the country, then there will be no season to fuss over.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
My fine west coast friend, let’s remember that Kelly is on his third team after St.Mary’s and Gonzaga (Courtney Vandersloot) And has been coaching for 23 years, albeit the last 6 at Oregon. He is no spring chick or “up and comer”. He is a very, very good coach who this year had a phenomenal recruiting class. While the highest ranked is #8, he needs to elevate her game and He needs to show that regularly. The PAC12 will be a battleground for the next 4 years with Kelly in the top 2/3.

Well, since St. Mary's and Gonzaga aren't exactly WNBA factories, I'm mostly concerned with what Graves has produced since moving to Eugene. :p

Reaction Score
Uh...third leading scorer (.3 behind #2) on a team that went 31-5 and was the ONLY team that beat Baylor that year. :rolleyes:

We all know that the primary reason Stanford beat Baylor was because of Batgirl, Shannon Coffee showing up and driving Mulkey bonkers. Shannon Coffee’s career output versus Baylor is very impressive.
I think DJ will be great wherever she ends up, I just wish it was back at Stanford, but know that’s not an option right now. For those of you being picky, whoever gets her will be getting a fantastic dynamic player who has the ability to impact any game.

Reaction Score
Actually as an outsider myself not following the inner workings of UCONN you sound like you don't have much faith in what Geno does or who Geno would like to have on his team.

Reaction Score
Actually as an outsider myself not following the inner workings of UCONN you sound like you don't have much faith in what Geno does or who Geno would like to have on his team.
That's a hereditary Boneyard trait.

Reaction Score
Your recollection does not match mine.
I have no recollection of the timing of the surgery for Westbrook being elective or up to her.
My recollections is that it was unclear if the first surgery was related to the second surgery.
My recollection is that as a result of the first surgery she was expected to be ready at the start of last season if she were declared eligible.
Your recollection is also not consistent with the time line. Evina's final appeal was denied on November 13th 2019 why would she wait until January of 2020 to have elective surgery?
Per Geno Evina was still rehabbing in mid March-rehabbing from a January surgery.
Yes, I don’t know why she’d wait that long if the 2nd was related to the 1st unless it was an aggravation or a new injury that could have occurred in practice.

Reaction Score
So has DJC given a timeline when she'll make a decision? How long must the chatter go on....

Reaction Score
Pete Maravich scored 3667 points in college which is the current record. What makes this remarkable is the rule changes since he played. At the time he played there was no 3 point shot, no shot clock and fewer games. And freshmen could not play varsity. Of course someone with his skills would not play three years today since they would go pro so I think his record is safe.

(edit) not sure how I put this in the wrong thread. Apologies to all.

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
IMHO - With six players to get integrated and the NWO of COVID-19, I think there is enough going on that we don't need a 1 year loaner.
Not so fast all those who seem to keep mentioning that we need 10 players to scrimmage. All Geno needs is 5 because he scrimmages against skilled men's players.

Reaction Score

I have not been talking about the coaches but about the armchair coaches. The UConn staff knows while we just speculate. If they take her then they see the need. I just think she's redundant. The only thing I see that Carrington has to add in Storrs is rebounding. And isn't there a thread around here talking about how McClean has no position because she is 5'11", just exactly like Carrington?
I'd say play her at the 3 for her rebounding but 3's at UConn have to shoot the 3 and she's a 33% 3pt shooter. So what do you do with a 5'11" rebounder who can't shoot 3's? Well, if she's a freshman you develop her, teach her new skills. And if she's a 5th year player? With chronic knee trouble?

Reaction Score
I have not been talking about the coaches but about the armchair coaches. The UConn staff knows while we just speculate. If they take her then they see the need. I just think she's redundant. The only thing I see that Carrington has to add in Storrs is rebounding. And isn't there a thread around here talking about how McClean has no position because she is 5'11", just exactly like Carrington?
I'd say play her at the 3 for her rebounding but 3's at UConn have to shoot the 3 and she's a 33% 3pt shooter. So what do you do with a 5'11" rebounder who can't shoot 3's? Well, if she's a freshman you develop her, teach her new skills. And if she's a 5th year player? With chronic knee trouble?
Tell her to crash the boards. Walker avg 8.4 rebounds, Carrington avg of 7.5 could be useful.

Reaction Score
I have noticed that fans of each school has their reservations about Carrington joining their team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom