Development of incoming freshman | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Development of incoming freshman

Reaction Score
At no point did I ever try to discredit his success or tactics. He is the best motivator and teacher But I do have the right to question how he has chosen to handle his recruits within the last few years. The freshman will be your starters in 2 years and have no substantial run.
Does he treat his freshman any different in the last few years then years ago. I don’t think do.

Reaction Score
I see mistakes made in every game by every player. Who are we to say what was the point of emphasis in a practice? By singling out one player in such a humiliating way is just making it more likely that we will be seeing that player in an opposing uniform.
Well Stef and Bria's class was a 5 person class and only 2 graduated, so it happens. The worry here is that we now have two seasons, or half the team, of players that are developmentally behind. In 2 months we lose Kia and Gabby, so where does that leave the team going forward? We're going to need some players to figure some things out big time over the summer or else prepare for some lean years by recent UConn standards.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I see mistakes made in every game by every player. Who are we to say what was the point of emphasis in a practice? [mod edit; transfer speculation]
A couple comments:

• You are absolutely correct that we don't know what the point of emphasis was in practice. But as a general rule of thumb, Geno always emphasizes player communication on the court. In this case, MW failed in her responsibility to communicate to her teammate, Kia, who got hammered running into a screen that she did not see.
  • Following your line of objection, who are we to say that MW was humiliated. What specifically did Geno do to humiliate her? Yell at her? Sit her down? Well guess what, MW just joined some pretty rarefied air, because he did the same thing to Rebecca, DT, Maya, Stewie, Lou and pretty much every other great player who decided to come to UConn. Geno's not coaching a bunch of little girls. He's coaching basketball players.
  • Finally, by speculating on player transfers, you and several other posters on this thread are violating one of the expressly stated rules laid down by the administrators of this forum. I would strongly suggest that you cease such references.

Last edited by a moderator:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Pmac923 is forgetting one of Geno's main rules and that is Not only he has to TRUST the player, but that player has to EARN the other players TRUST. If you can't call out a screen to one of your fellow players how in the heck are YOU going to earn their TRUST. If I was Kia, I think I would be a little leery of MW when it comes to her head being in the game after that screen.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well Stef and Bria's class was a 5 person class and only 2 graduated, so it happens. The worry here is that we now have two seasons, or half the team, of players that are developmentally behind. In 2 months we lose Kia and Gabby, so where does that leave the team going forward? We're going to need some players to figure some things out big time over the summer or else prepare for some lean years by recent UConn standards.
Lean years at UCONN will be much more depended that on the recruits that are coming in as opposed to players on the existing roster. Worse case is that UCONN starts next season with Crystal, Napheesa and KLS. Who would have a better trio in all of WCBB?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
A couple comments:

• You are absolutely correct that we don't know what the point of emphasis was in practice. But as a general rule of thumb, Geno always emphasizes player communication on the court. In this case, MW failed in her responsibility to communicate to her teammate, Kia, who got hammered running into a screen that she did not see.
  • Following your line of objection, who are we to say that MW was humiliated. What specifically did Geno do to humiliate her? Yell at her? Sit her down? Well guess what, MW just joined some pretty rarefied air, because he did the same thing to Rebecca, DT, Maya, Stewie, Lou and pretty much every other great player who decided to come to UConn. Geno's not coaching a bunch of little girls. He's coaching basketball players.
  • Finally, by speculating on player transfers, you and several other posters on this thread are violating one of the expressly stated rules laid down by the administrators of this forum. I would strongly suggest that you cease such references.
If you want to see humiliation go watch one of last years The Geno Auriemma Show's, where he states to Lou that he can't give her any Heart during the halftime speech of the FSU game. What do you think she might have been feeling after that was on.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you wan to see humiliation go watch on of last years The Geno Auriemma Show's, where he states to Lou that he can't giver her any Heart during the halftime speech of the FSU game. What do you think she might have been feeling after that was on.
Don’t know exactly what Lou was feeling at that moment. What I do know is that Lou played well in the 2nd half of that game. UConn won that game along with 35 others last season. Lou was a consensus 1st team AA last season, and this season she has gotten even better in just about every facet of the game.

Like I said, Geno’s coaching basketball players, not little girls.

Reaction Score
Don’t know exactly what Lou was feeling at that moment. What I do know is that Lou played well in the 2nd half of that game. UConn won that game along with 35 others last season. Lou was a consensus 1st team AA last season, and this season she has gotten even better in just about every facet of the game.

At the same time though, not everyone is cut out for the tough love routine. They aren't little girls, but they are still teenagers. Some are more mature than others at 17-18-19, and can handle it and see it as a challenge. Others shrivel up and crawl into a hole, perhaps never to recover. When you're in the coaching staff's position, I can see how they are really walking a fine line here.

JS

Reaction Score
Editing out rules violations is tedious, especially when they're quoted by others.

Be warned, OP and "others." Any more transfer talk gets dealt with by easier, though more severe, methods.

Reaction Score
I just think it's kind of sad. I think also one bad apple....

I don't see any need to continue this thread at all........I'm trying to get in the mood for the South Carolina - Miss State game and this thread is giving me agita..................talking about transfers........I may transfer to the University of Maine at Oreno forum for the rest of the evening................if they have one...............:rolleyes:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

Correct, but I was just using that as an example. He yelled at her in the locker room and she played her rear off. But what I'm trying to convey to Pmac923 is that we didn't know that until it was shown on the show, and Lou persevered in the second half and didn't sulk on the bench or not have her head in the game.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Every year Geno is called out by fans here and there that think he's too hard on their favorite freshmen.
This year being no exception. A commenter recently posted a quote by Geno (I wish I could find it, I would copy & paste it) saying that most UConn fans don't know what they're talking about (he's also said that to Justine Ward on his TV show on SNY). This was in reference to some of the letters and e-mails he's received lately.

(I'm paraphrasing here) He said that It's hard for freshmen to come to UConn and pick up things right away. His system is very difficult to learn. He said it takes the average freshman a year to master his entire system. He said this group of freshmen can't do the things he wants them to do in practice for 3 days in a row, yet the fans want him to put them in a game anyway, and expect them to do all of the things correctly and successfully that they can't do in practice, like so many other coaches do.
Since the fans don't see what he sees everyday in practice, or know what he and the other coaches know, those fans make suggestions that he probably considers "uninformed and unrealistic". Geno does not do things THAT way.

Geno is considered by many college coaches and media types, the best and most successful coach in women's college basketball history. Why is this? Could it be because he does things differently than other coaches do.....like demanding things (standards) from his players that other coaches don't?

Like making every player earn their minutes instead of just giving it to them? Like demanding that all players be able to play defense to his satisfaction, instead of just going through the motions? Insisting that all of his players have a certain attitude and demeanor while at practice and during games? Like holding ALL of his players accountable? If Geno is the best coach in the game today, and his team rarely loses, what is he doing that the other coaches aren't?

A lot of things! Starting with not letting freshmen play until they reach the level of play (consistently) as the rest of the team. They have to be able to play UConn basketball, which is much different that regular Division 1 WCBB. It's why they seldom lose. They have to prove their proficiency in practice. Until they do, Geno can't/won't trust them enough to put them on the floor during meaningful minutes.

He has said many times, he's not going to put a player on the floor and allow her to embarrass herself, because she couldn't play well. The following is an excerpt from an article written after the Stanford loss in 2014: "Nurse played 20 minutes before she fouled out. Gabby Williams never even got a chance to step onto the court that day and on multiple occasions, Williams admitted she wasn't ready to play in a game of that magnitude".

If you want to play (and of course every player does), first you have to gain Geno's trust. You gain his trust in practice, not during games. You prove you can play with the other players in practice, not in actual games. At UConn, playing in games is your reward for learning the things you must learn to play for Geno. There are no exceptions. Geno has also said that most of the highly touted and highly rated blue chip players in high school can't play defense, so they must be taught. It's a lesson not learned overnight. It took Dangerfield a year to learn how to keep her man in front of her. If you've noticed, her defense is much better now than it was last year.

That's one of the differences (there are others) in Auriemma and other coaches. Just ask any D-1 coach or "long time" college basketball analyst, they'll explain it to you. Why does he get requests everyday from high school and college coaches requesting to come to campus and view his practices? Some of these coaches request they be allowed to bring their entire team. Because he's doing something no one else is doing, and he's very successful with it. When you figure that out, then perhaps you'll understand. His way works. ;)

Nominate for POTD (minimally. Could be POTW or POTM)

Reaction Score
At the same time though, not everyone is cut out for the tough love routine. They aren't little girls, but they are still teenagers. Some are more mature than others at 17-18-19, and can handle it and see it as a challenge. Others shrivel up and crawl into a hole, perhaps never to recover. When you're in the coaching staff's position, I can see how they are really walking a fine line here.
Yes, and one of the challenges in recruiting is to identify who falls in which category. Geno and company have mastered this.

Reaction Score
Ohhhh..................they do but everybody is complaining about the coach...................

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno is the best known coach in WBB. His methods are not a secret. All you have to do is watch the Geno Auriemma show or go on UTube to see what he’s like as a coach and what he expects from his players. These teenagers came to UConn expressly to play for Geno and be challenged by him.

Reaction Score
Lean years at UCONN will be much more depended that on the recruits that are coming in as opposed to players on the existing roster. Worse case is that UCONN starts next season with Crystal, Napheesa and KLS. Who would have a better trio in all of WCBB?
I assume next year's starters are Crystal Dangerfield, KLS, Megan, Collier, and Z. That's a top 5 team in all likelihood, but I don't think that's a better team than this year's. We are losing our best shooter, best two all around defenders, and the team's spark plug. Make no mistake, we are losing a lot to graduation this year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Correct, but I was just using that as an example. He yelled at her in the locker room and she played her rear off. But what I'm trying to convey to Pmac923 is that we didn't know that until it was shown on the show, and Lou persevered in the second half and didn't sulk on the bench or not have her head in the game.
On that specific segment. There was some criticism of Geno’s comments to Lou on camera by many of us. The general consensus was that there was nothing wrong with Geno calling Lou out, but it should not have been on camera. For whatever reason, in subsequent airing of that show on SNY, the specific segment was edited out.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I prefer "practice makes permanent." If you practice the wrong thing over and over, you play it wrong every time. That's why Geno tries to get them to practice WELL.
I believe Geno’s exact quote is, “We don’t practice until we get it right. We practice until we can’t get it wrong.”

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't see any need to continue this thread at all...I'm trying to get in the mood for the South Carolina - Miss State game and this thread is giving me agita...talking about transfers...I may transfer to the University of Maine at Oreno forum for the rest of the evening......if they have one.....:rolleyes:
Do what I'm doing right now. I just bought a brand new pair of headphones, amp, DAC and all new cables. I'm listening to music, plying the internet while watching talking sports heads go on ad infinitum about the Eagles and NE. So calming. Music never fails to work for me.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
On that specific segment. There was some criticism of Geno’s comments to Lou on camera by many of us. The general consensus was that there was nothing wrong with Geno calling Lou out, but it should not have been on camera. For whatever reason, in subsequent airing of that show on SNY, the specific segment was edited out.
I think it is still in the one on the 2016-2017 Woman's Basketball Game Replays board.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Actually I disagree. Practice makes perfect - maybe a silly saying, but it's true. Did you watch the last few games where the bench got in and got some serious minutes? Molly continues to be tentative and is a turnover waiting to happen. Mikayla looks lost out there. Megan has regressed. Lexi can't make a basket and is shooting under a FG% under 18%. Kyla is the only one who is consistently productive, but she lacks the athleticism to be more effective. Batouly is coming back from serious injuries.

While I wish it was different, the reality is that it's not. When our reserves get into games - the last 6-8 minutes of blowouts, more often than not, we are outscored and outplayed by the worst teams in the American. While I'd love to see Coombs or Walker get more minutes with the starters, the fact is that when Coombs is in, she plays poorly, and Megan has played terrible the past 2 games. Frankly, Kyla is the only one who looks like she knows what she's doing out there when in with most of the core 6, and that's sad given how highly rated Walker and Coombs were coming out of HS.

I'm just gonna say it - I get that freshmen struggle, but Mikayla and Megan so far are 2 of the more disappointing top 15 freshmen I can remember seeing at UCONN. There is still time for them to get it, but that time (and Geno's patience) is running out.
It's not fair to complain about Gordon's shooting percentage. She has not taken enough shots. The starters have missed more shots than she has taken. When she takes more than 50 to 60 shots then you can take her to task if she is shooting under 18%. If a player takes 20 shots and hits 3 or 4 of them her shooting will be low. She will be fine. I won't complain about how Geno treats the freshmen as long as it does not affect them negatively and cause them to lose confidence. He stated earlier this season that his getting on Collier so hard earlier may have caused her to lose some confidence early in the season.

Reaction Score
I don't think it was edited out. They were two different shows. I think the segment we're talking about here was on the All-Access Show which tends to show the early season games, while the Geno Show is almost entirely Justine interviewing Geno with a few little player features or shots of practice mixed in. I'm guessing if one went to the huskygames site you could find that show with the segment still included.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom