Development of incoming freshman | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Development of incoming freshman

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don’t know exactly what Lou was feeling at that moment. What I do know is that Lou played well in the 2nd half of that game. UConn won that game along with 35 others last season. Lou was a consensus 1st team AA last season, and this season she has gotten even better in just about every facet of the game. Like I said, Geno’s coaching basketball players, not little girls.
I am fairly sure that many BY's were much more butt hurt buy Geno comments than KLS was. Geno is a button pusher and he has coached hundreds of BB players. It's probably safe to assume (mainly because he has admitted it) that there were some buttons which he regretted pushing or ones that did not work. The vast majority of the time Geno pushed a button is because he senses that a player (occasionally a team) is not living up to thier potential. As numerous former Geno players (Renee, Sue , DT, Tina, Gabby...) have said listen to what Geno is saying and not how he saying it. When you are on the receiving end, celebrate like hell, because Geno thinks you have "potential". Good thing the players understood this before they came to UCONN. I'm not sure how so many BY keep misunderstanding this.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don't think it was edited out. They were two different shows. I think the segment we're talking about here was on the All-Access Show which tends to show the early season games, while the Geno Show is almost entirely Justine interviewing Geno with a few little player features or shots of practice mixed in. I'm guessing if one went to the huskygames site you could find that show with the segment still included.
Watch the 1/1/2017 The Geno Show and he discusses Lou, with the comment in there. It starts around the 15:55 mark.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It's not just calling out screens. UConn's entire defensive scheme is predicated on communication. Calling out ball screens as well as primary and secondary switches is an integral part of UConn's man-to-man defense, where the Huskies will switch all over the court. If you have any doubt, watch Kia on defense. In addition to being the most fundamentally sound defensive player at UConn, she is constantly barking out commands to her teammates to make sure they're all in the right place.

This is part of the "learning how to play defense, UConn style" I referenced in my earlier post. Learning how to do this the way the other players do is what takes time. Also physically learning how to keep your man in front of you. That's a huge part of playing defense. To most of the incoming freshmen, Geno's style of defense is totally foreign to them, especially if they're not use to communicating. His idea of playing defense is light years away from the defense their high school/AAU coaches were satisfied with. They know how to dribble, pass and shoot, but the can't play defense. Until they learn how to do this, they're a weak link. Any unit on the floor at any given time during a game is only as strong as its weakest player(s). :eek:

Show me a freshman (any freshman at any school) that came in day 1 of practice, that can/could play defense for 40 minutes like Kia and Gabby. It takes time to learn, and time to learn how to do it at the speed UConn plays at (which is faster than the speed they played at in HS). This is why a good 6th man is so valuable to a team. A player that can come in and work with the other starters seamlessly, with out any drop off in production or effectiveness................on either end of the court!!

Good post OD. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
th

NICE POST!

This is exactly where UConn likes to put their opponents immediately after the tip, and keep them there the remainder of the game. :cool:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I don't see any need to continue this thread at all...I'm trying to get in the mood for the South Carolina - Miss State game and this thread is giving me agita...talking about transfers...I may transfer to the University of Maine at Oreno forum for the rest of the evening......if they have one.....:rolleyes:
What a minute...I posted the exact same sentiment about ending this on page 1 and boy did I get a couple of Replies including how Un-American I am. Head bang

Reaction Score
The problems we see with many of the kids today, are caused by their parents. I like to call it the "AAU mentality". If the kid doesn't play the position (usually guard), play enough minutes, and play with the players the parents want the kid to play with, then they pack their bags and go to a different organization. The kids are not taught about work ethic, or how to work your way into the starting lineup. they all think they are entitled to playing time because of the parents. Unfortunately, you see this all the time in summer AAU basketball and it is sad.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I believe Geno’s exact quote is, “We don’t practice until we get it right. We practice until we can’t get it wrong.”
“We tell recruits, ‘If you want to win championships, come to UConn,’ ” Auriemma said. ” ‘If it’s all about you, then don’t come to UConn. It’s about us, it’s not about you. We want you to become an All-American, but we want you to do it within the team framework.’ ”

Auriemma has coached 10 multiple All-Americans, including Diana Taurasi, whom he called the best player he’s ever coached. Auriemma, a six-time Naismith National Coach of the Year, guided UConn to back-to-back undefeated seasons in 2008-09 and 2009-10 and an incredible 90-game winning streak.

“We win because we get the best players,” Auriemma said. “We win because we demand more out of them, and we work harder than anyone. The best don’t just practice until they get it right, they practice so much it’s impossible for them to get it wrong.

Geno Auriemma explains what it takes to win

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The problems we see with many of the kids today, are caused by their parents. I like to call it the "AAU mentality". If the kid doesn't play the position (usually guard), play enough minutes, and play with the players the parents want the kid to play with, then they pack their bags and go to a different organization. The kids are not taught about work ethic, or how to work your way into the starting lineup. they all think they are entitled to playing time because of the parents. Unfortunately, you see this all the time in summer AAU basketball and it is sad.
Hey wait a minute! Are you Geno Auriemma disguised as a BY Poster?

Reaction Score
Do what I'm doing right now. I just bought a brand new pair of headphones, amp, DAC and all new cables. I'm listening to music, plying the internet while watching talking sports heads go on ad infinitum about the Eagles and NE. So calming. Music never fails to work for me.
Didn’t they have a ton of transfers last year:rolleyes::rolleyes:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's not fair to complain about Gordon's shooting percentage. She has not taken enough shots. The starters have missed more shots than she has taken. When she takes more than 50 to 60 shots then you can take her to task if she is shooting under 18%. If a player takes 20 shots and hits 3 or 4 of them her shooting will be low. She will be fine. I won't complain about how Geno treats the freshmen as long as it does not affect them negatively and cause them to lose confidence. He stated earlier this season that his getting on Collier so hard earlier may have caused her to lose some confidence early in the season.
And yet Pulido and Lawler had better shooting percentages in the same time frame of playing time, and they were walk ons. Same with Fernandez - who shot over 30% from the floor and she was a walk on for her first 2 or 3 seasons.

But I wasn't complaining - I always saw Lexi as a role player - getting those 4-8 minutes at the end of blowout games. Should she develop differently, it will be a pleasant surprise! And I'm sure she is a great kid, terrific teammate, and valuable member of the program...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is part of the "learning how to play defense, UConn style" I referenced in my earlier post. Learning how to do this the way the other players do is what takes time. Also physically learning how to keep your man in front of you. That's a huge part of playing defense. To most of the incoming freshmen, Geno's style of defense is totally foreign to them, especially if they're not use to communicating. His idea of playing defense is light years away from the defense their high school/AAU coaches were satisfied with. They know how to dribble, pass and shoot, but the can't play defense. Until then learn how to do this, they're a weak link. Any unit on the floor at any given time during a game is only as strong as its weakest player(s). :eek:

Show me a freshman (any freshman at any school) that came in day 1 of practice, that can/could play defense for 40 minutes like Kia and Gabby. It takes time to learn, and time to learn how to do it at the speed UConn plays at (which is faster than the speed they played at in HS). This is why a good 6th man is so valuable to a team. A player that can come in and work with the other starters seamlessly, with out any drop off in production or effectiveness......on either end of the court!! Good post OD. :cool:
Eaxctly. Just a couple of embellishments. To most Freshmen Defense is an entirely foreign concept and that is one of the things that BY are having trouble with. Megan Walker is a gifted offensive player =HS POY. UCONN does not "need" Megan Walker to be a gifted offensive player as much as UCONN needs her to be an adequate defender for right now.
BTW UCONN has had two players that came in as Freshmen ready to play Geno's style of defense and as a result got time as Freshmen when thier ranking and the UCONN roster might have predicted otherwise-Kelly Faris & Brianna Banks.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Don't worry all is well in Husky Land. He'll win his 35+ games every year and win many more championships. Just a quick thought that maybe when you're up 55+ points against a bottom feeder team maybe it's a good opportunity to use your high school National Player of the Year and teach. [mod edit: transfer speculation]
I understand your point. Here in St. Louis we had a men's team that went to the NCAA Tournament three consecutive years, 2011 through 2013. They had a large recruiting class one of those years. However, when the team was winning big the coach would not play his freshmen, even though he knew they would be needed the following season. There were six of them and only one wound up being a productive player for St. Louis. I'm not saying I agree with your point but I understand it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And yet Pulido and Lawler had better shooting percentages in the same time frame of playing time, and they were walk ons. Same with Fernandez - who shot over 30% from the floor and she was a walk on for her first 2 or 3 seasons.

But I wasn't complaining - I always saw Lexi as a role player - getting those 4-8 minutes at the end of blowout games. Should she develop differently, it will be a pleasant surprise! And I'm sure she is a great kid, terrific teammate, and valuable member of the program...
Not sure where you’re getting your numbers on Polly & Tierney, but Polly shot 22% as a senior, including her memorable last shot of the 2016 National Championship. As for Tierney, she was 0-9 last season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not sure where you’re getting your numbers on Polly & Tierney, but Polly shot 22% as a senior, including her memorable last shot of the 2016 National Championship. As for Tierney, she was 0-9 last season.
You are right but you gotta average them over 4 years. Also, Jacquie, Polly and Tierney were all walk ons. Not a great statistic when you are a scholarship player who is shooting just about 18% for the season - and your stats are nip and tuck better/worse than a pair of walk ons!

I'll have to go back and get the exact numbers for Polly and Tierney - it's my impression they were in the 20-25% range, and like I said, I did look up Jacquie who was close to 35% for her career, but in fairness, she did get a scholly her last year or 2...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You are right but you gotta average them over 4 years. Also, Jacquie, Polly and Tierney were all walk ons. Not a great statistic when you are a scholarship player who is shooting just about 18% for the season - and your stats are nip and tuck better/worse than a pair of walk ons!

I'll have to go back and get the exact numbers for Polly and Tierney - it's my impression they were in the 20-25% range, and like I said, I did look up Jacquie who was close to 35% for her career, but in fairness, she did get a scholly her last year or 2...
Your correct. I checked, although Polly only played 3 years, while Tierney played 4.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Eaxctly. Just a couple of embellishments. To most Freshmen Defense is an entirely foreign concept and that is one of the things that BY are having trouble with. Megan Walker is a gifted offensive player =HS POY. UCONN does not "need" Megan Walker to be a gifted offensive player as much as UCONN needs her to be an adequate defender for right now.
BTW UCONN has had two players that came in as Freshmen ready to play Geno's style of defense and as a result got time as Freshmen when thier ranking and the UCONN roster might have predicted otherwise-Kelly Faris & Brianna Banks.
And so did Kia Nurse in her freshman year. She played in every game and her first start was in the third game, the one just after the overtime loss to Stanford and has started every game since then. It was all because she could play defense.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Your correct. I checked, although Polly only played 3 years, while Tierney played 4.
Phew! I'm not one of the "statistics guys" on the board, so it would not surprise me if my numbers were a tad off. Thanks for checking!
thumb-up-terminator+pablo+M+R.jpg

Reaction Score
What a minute...I posted the exact same sentiment about ending this on page 1 and boy did I get a couple of Replies including how Un-American I am. Head bang
I didn't think your post was treasonous.

Reaction Score

did the BY threaten to keep you on the end of your couch?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
did the BY threaten to keep you on the end of your couch?

Here it is:
Nothing that was said was inflammatory or egregious, it was one persons opinion, which is what a forum is for. I do not subscribe to the view expressed and neither will the majority of others on here, BUT I will defend his/her right to say it and offer my/our counterpoints.

We still live in good ole U S of A....

Reaction Score
And Geno also talked about the body language of players on the bench. If players are engaged and the body language positive, they get in if they have looked good in practice.

Reaction Score
Well Stef and Bria's class was a 5 person class and only 2 graduated, so it happens. The worry here is that we now have two seasons, or half the team, of players that are developmentally behind. In 2 months we lose Kia and Gabby, so where does that leave the team going forward? We're going to need some players to figure some things out big time over the summer or else prepare for some lean years by recent UConn standards.

good points. the fact is that 2 very highly recruited high school players from last year (one, the consensus best player) almost look to be regressing. I think Walker and Coombs played better early on. I find it hard to put ALL the blame on their shoulders. The very well-paid coaching staff best come up with some new approaches to help these players figure it out. Otherwise, next year there may be a 3 player senior class, 1 player junior class, no player soph class, and who knows what the frosh will be like.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

This is a valid statement. And it has been going on for some time. I witnessed a very successful high school basketball coach get literally run out of town by a parent who said he knew about playing because he had a cup of coffee with the Chicago Bulls. His son wasn't stating and he went all out to get the coach. This was back in the late 80's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom